Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Well at first I thought she was bullshit but it was because I missed the ring mail. Also there is a roo kinda hidden nearby that will give you a second emerald which helps your damage output with whirlwind. I was either level 13 or 14. I definitely ran around and ground up a level after my horrible first and second attempt. Then on the third try it seemed pretty easy. She's prone for a very long time after she uses the flame thrust move. Good luck gamer friend.

Also notable, I didn't realize you could use the "smash" attack where you flip the analog stick and spin, during the whirlwind animation until this fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I defeated the fire boss and communed with the Fire Dragon in Ys Seven. Does the Vita not let you take screenshots of PSP games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This Ys II song is epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd_W_qAkNok

Ys II even has awesome sewer level music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP9wNKVugLQ

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Currently sailing to Felghana for the first time in several years. I'm excited to finally play hard and nightmare.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i owned the giant centipede lightning statue demon, i found the fight a tad tedious, but i prevailed. Looking forward to what will come next...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i owned the giant centipede lightning statue demon, i found the fight a tad tedious, but i prevailed. Looking forward to what will come next...

That's the worst boss in origin, it's all uphill from there

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
In Training's love of Ys is why I respect In Training.

Seriously though, after beating all the XSEED-published Ys games on nightmare, what should I go do now? I need more Ys, and I do not want to wait on Ys VIII.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slur posted:

In Training's love of Ys is why I respect In Training.

Seriously though, after beating all the XSEED-published Ys games on nightmare, what should I go do now? I need more Ys, and I do not want to wait on Ys VIII.
Did you beat Origin with all the characters?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slur posted:

Seriously though, after beating all the XSEED-published Ys games on nightmare, what should I go do now?

Receive a congressional Medal of Honor

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Did you beat Origin with all the characters?

On nightmare with all 3? Yeah.

Doing Nightmare Boss Rush on the games wasn't worth it at the end of the day, except for Felghana, where if you do beat it, you get a hidden boss, and if you beat him, you unlock debug mode

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slur posted:

On nightmare with all 3? Yeah.

Doing Nightmare Boss Rush on the games wasn't worth it at the end of the day, except for Felghana, where if you do beat it, you get a hidden boss, and if you beat him, you unlock debug mode
drat, son.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Does the PSTV play Ys games? I don't need a vita but I'd like to play 7 and Celceta before Ys 8 comes out.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Evil Eagle posted:

Does the PSTV play Ys games? I don't need a vita but I'd like to play 7 and Celceta before Ys 8 comes out.

They just recently put Celceta on the whitelist, so you should be good to go. Seven was psp anyway so no worries there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

apparently yes, as of a few months ago

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

About to pull the trigger on one then. I'm going to need a vita memory card right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

About to pull the trigger on one then. I'm going to need a vita memory card right?

Yah, they were on sale at GameStop last week but idk if they still are.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't played Oath since before it was on steam and man is this game awesome. I'm really happy that I now own all of the Ys games on steam.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oath is probably still my favorite, although that might be because it was my first.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
oath has the better bosses

that harpy fight is so cool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I completely forgot how to fight the bridge bird in lava zone.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

The system itself has 1 GB of internal memory. If you're going purely physical games, then you're fine. However, if you want an expansive PSP library, as well as some digital games, then you're going to have to pay up for a memory card.

BIRDCON 2017
May 31, 2011

small child me couldn't get a few screens into the first cave in wanderers from ys without dying. now i'm a grownass gameplaying adult and its time to redeem myself

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So, have any of you played any other Falcom titles recently? I'm making my way through Popful Mail and Trails of Cold Steel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll probably play the Xanadu games before the new one comes out

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm playing Celceta on hard right now and I'm stuck at the fish boss and I think I'm really underleveled. My only option are to endlessly retry or to load my save game from 4+ hours ago :negative:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm playing Celceta on hard right now and I'm stuck at the fish boss and I think I'm really underleveled. My only option are to endlessly retry or to load my save game from 4+ hours ago :negative:

This happened to me as a kid in Ys III on SNES... It's drat brutal.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My biggest advice on handling him, as well as later bosses, is to get used to using the touch screen to change your partners' AI patterns. Swiping inwards switches them to a defensive mode, where they follow you around actively and don't attack. Swiping outwards switches them back to an offensive mode, where they attack whatever is in front of them relentlessly, and use skills generally whenever you do.

As well, remember that you cannot take an AI out of the defensive stance when they're at 1 HP.

BIRDCON 2017
May 31, 2011

the long sword is the exact same length as the short sword what is this poo poo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Slur posted:

So, have any of you played any other Falcom titles recently? I'm making my way through Popful Mail and Trails of Cold Steel.

id really like to play trails in the sky

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

ArfJason posted:

id really like to play trails in the sky

It's really good.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I found the writing kind of cloying and it took too long to tutorialize at me and get to the battles. But I should probably try it again at some point.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I found the writing kind of cloying and it took too long to tutorialize at me and get to the battles. But I should probably try it again at some point.

i don't know what cloying means but it does suffer from an overlong intro.. worth getting to the good stuff though

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Any reason to play the original PSP games over the PC re-releases?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Any reason to play the original PSP games over the PC re-releases?

Theyre identical afaik, so its just a matter of portability.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

That harpy boss on the mountain was awesome. The best part about replaying this game after so long is that I forgot almost every boss. I have no idea what the bosses are in the castle aside from chester but I do remember that there are like 4 of them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Valestein Castle... :worship: :mario:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Valestein Castle... :worship: :mario:

Man...I should replay Oath

• Locked thread