Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think you mean Adversary 3, but yeah. Nemesis is the classification for that level of enemy.

You can give them powers that automagically add Despair to rolls, also, if you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
You can also give them the Imperial Valor talent that lets them grab a minion and throw them into your player's attack. You know, the most hilariously visual thing. Guy notices you are about to hit him with your deadliest lightsaber move and he grabs a stormtrooper for him to block the hit!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Don't forget about Dark Side fate points. Use them to screw with your parties dice/enhance your own.

Have a Guardian with the emotional strength of valour? He better have the rest of the party stay back unless he wants Conflict.

Give stuff for the rest of the party to do. Plant explosives while fending off endless waves of troopers and droids.

Take control of the plummeting ship that is crashing into the planet you were orbiting.

While the Sith and Jedi are duelling on top of the moving hover train, have the rest of the party continue with the train heist and get that loot! Just watch out for the swoop bike gang that wants to crash your heist and get the loot for themselves.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have the core Edge book, the Edge beginner's box and the Edge DM screen. My players aren't locked in on what they want to play yet; AoR and F&D are basically new setting core books, right? What other source books around the $30 range would be good to buy into? Or is it all predicated on how the campaign is going to be run?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I have the core Edge book, the Edge beginner's box and the Edge DM screen. My players aren't locked in on what they want to play yet; AoR and F&D are basically new setting core books, right? What other source books around the $30 range would be good to buy into? Or is it all predicated on how the campaign is going to be run?

Assuming your group will end up shooting people, Dangerous Coverents has a decent amount of guns and gear for your players to buy, and its relatively universal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nothing to seehere posted:

Assuming your group will end up shooting people, Dangerous Coverents has a decent amount of guns and gear for your players to buy, and its relatively universal.

Are all the card decks fairly useless? I saw decks of NPCs and what I assume are decks of talents and stuff.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Oh yes, my players have been hollowing out an asteroid to use as a base for their fortune hunting group of neerdowells. As I've said I'm transferring from FATE which doesn't really worry about money too much, and so we declared they have basically got a little pressurised dome they can work on the ship in, and not much else. Are there any rules for building asteroid bases in any of the books?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Adversary deck is useful for when your players decide to blow up your plans and you need to quickly adapt and give them something to face because oops, sith lord you planned on them fighting had a ship crash into their face.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Oh yes, my players have been hollowing out an asteroid to use as a base for their fortune hunting group of neerdowells. As I've said I'm transferring from FATE which doesn't really worry about money too much, and so we declared they have basically got a little pressurised dome they can work on the ship in, and not much else. Are there any rules for building asteroid bases in any of the books?

The Diplomat and Colonist (I think) splat books have base building rules, which should cover Asteroids.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The colonist still seems so weird to me. In a book full of bounty hunters, hired tech geniuses, archetypes with full capability to be the scummiest of scum... It just never feels like it fits in to me.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

The colonist still seems so weird to me. In a book full of bounty hunters, hired tech geniuses, archetypes with full capability to be the scummiest of scum... It just never feels like it fits in to me.

The colonist is the Civilian Who's Gotten In Over Their Head template, basically.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ze Pollack posted:

The colonist is the Civilian Who's Gotten In Over Their Head template, basically.

Plus it's a great starting point to build a Luke-alike, or some other Hero's Journey character. Start out as a merchant or doctor, become a hero.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

KittyEmpress posted:

Maybe someone wants to play as Uncle Owen.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oh, I don't dislike it at all. I've used it myself, it just always felt odd in EotE's gritty criminal setting, compared to the other character types.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

KittyEmpress posted:

Oh, I don't dislike it at all. I've used it myself, it just always felt odd in EotE's gritty criminal setting, compared to the other character types.

EotE isn't necessarily "criminal", it's just "on the fringes". Which yeah, includes the scum and villainy, but also has the force sensitive exiles, the backwater merchant, the reclusive droid technician, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also the Colonist gets the Marshal specialization in its sourcebook which lets you play Raylan Givens in space.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The Marshal rules. More games need abilities called Good Cop/Bad Cop.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

jivjov posted:

Plus it's a great starting point to build a Luke-alike, or some other Hero's Journey character. Start out as a merchant or doctor, become a hero.

Or, y'know, Walter White.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

jivjov posted:

See, this gets thrown around a lot, but when does Luke show off any of those sorta skills or talents?

Like the three core trees are Doctor, Politico, and Scholar - I find it real safe stating that none of those things describe Luke in the slightest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ProfessorCirno posted:

See, this gets thrown around a lot, but when does Luke show off any of those sorta skills or talents?

Like the three core trees are Doctor, Politico, and Scholar - I find it real safe stating that none of those things describe Luke in the slightest.
He definitely fits the theming of colonist more than the letter of any of the three core book trees. Skill-wise he's a pilot though.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

jivjov posted:

He definitely fits the theming of colonist more than the letter of any of the three core book trees. Skill-wise he's a pilot though.

Explorer: Driver. He's always looking away to the horizon. Plus it gives him mechanics, gunnery, pilot planetary and space

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Speaking of printing costs/overhead, is there any chance that we will see digital releases of the FF books? Do they even have the rights to make that available?

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm surprised that the lightsaber forms made it into FF's Star Wars game; I kinda expected it to fall by the wayside along with a lot of EU stuff.

By the by, searching for any given lightsaber form on YouTube produces the dorkiest stuff in the universe. Mostly videos of geeks with no martial arts experience whatsoever, twirling lightsabers in their bedrooms, imitating stuff they saw in books about kendo, with text overlays saying "This is Djem So" or whatever.

Lightsabering forms were pretty baked into the "making of" the prequels as films starting with AotC even though thankfully they aren't explicitly referenced. The EU got all into that poo poo because fans love lists, so there's no reason not to keep monetizing this clickbait-y concept. (Top five amazingly powerful lightsabering forms! Number 1 is one the Jedi Counsel refuses to teach!)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

yronic heroism posted:

Speaking of printing costs/overhead, is there any chance that we will see digital releases of the FF books? Do they even have the rights to make that available?

PDF's come under electronic games according to Lucasfilm licensing so FFG can't sell them with renegotiating the license. FFG may want to do this but the risks are Disney will want more money or sell it off to Hasbro and we go back to a D&D style game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

yronic heroism posted:

It's a stupid rights issue. A PDF of an RPG book is considered a "digital game", and EA owns the rights to digital Star Wars games because video games.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm pretty sure FFG mentioned having already renegotiated with Disney recently. That's why Rebels stuff is showing up in the more recent books. Whether that'll lead to PDFs, who knows.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Quick questions for those experienced in this system: Recently picked up F&D rulebook and have been really excited for the new system, however I have been wondering if the option exists to train in any of alternative careers specializations outside of the F&D core rulebook. Can I create a consular that then picks up some odd specialization out of the previous 2 rulebooks for some other career, like bounty hunter, or am I limited to playing with only the career specializations available in the F&D rulebook?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Quick questions for those experienced in this system: Recently picked up F&D rulebook and have been really excited for the new system, however I have been wondering if the option exists to train in any of alternative careers specializations outside of the F&D core rulebook. Can I create a consular that then picks up some odd specialization out of the previous 2 rulebooks for some other career, like bounty hunter, or am I limited to playing with only the career specializations available in the F&D rulebook?

Any character can pick up any specialization the GM and their XP total allow. The systems are explicitly interchangeable and the main downside of specializations outside your starting career is that you can't access their signature abilities.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

homullus posted:

can't access their signature abilities.

I must have missed that in the F&D Rulebook. Are the signature abilities of the careers in F&D assumed to all be force access (and I assume are specific abilities in the other rulebooks)?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Signature abilities are career-based instead of specialization based. They generally show up in the class books, not the core.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm pretty sure you can get a signature ability as long as you have an in-career specialization with the proper slots filled. If you have a Colonist tree with all four bottom talents checked, I think you could get one of the abilities even if your initial career was bounty hunter.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get a signature ability as long as you have an in-career specialization with the proper slots filled. If you have a Colonist tree with all four bottom talents checked, I think you could get one of the abilities even if your initial career was bounty hunter.

You can do whatever your GM lets you do, but signature moves are explicitly for your starting career, the thing your character is "most." If you want the signature moves of a different career, start in that career.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FishFood posted:

RAW is that you can only take SigAbilities from your career; which is determined by your starting specialization.

DandyLion posted:

I must have missed that in the F&D Rulebook. Are the signature abilities of the careers in F&D assumed to all be force access (and I assume are specific abilities in the other rulebooks)?

SigAbilities are found in each Career's supplement. So far only one career supplement for F&D has been released; the one for Guardians.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

homullus posted:

Any character can pick up any specialization the GM and their XP total allow. The systems are explicitly interchangeable and the main downside of specializations outside your starting career is that you can't access their signature abilities.

Well, they're 99% interchangeable. The Propagandist spec isn't very useful outside Age of Rebellion because so many of the talents have to do with Duty.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There's no stock for this drat game in the uk

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ShineDog posted:

There's no stock for this drat game in the uk

When I bought my three core rulebooks in late November ahead of the inevitable The Force Awakens rush, they had both been pretty drat near impossible to find in the country where I live (Germany), and at the time I had to just get them from amazon.co.uk, where they had plenty in stock. Maybe you can check and see if the situation's reversed now and you can order it from non-UK Amazon?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Another quick question: Is there a cap on how much experience a character can gain? Do most GM's put provisions in for aging or whatnot to kill off characters eventually or simply exclude playing a character past a certain amount of experience? If a player wants to use the same character adventure after adventure (and accrue what appears to be a unrealistic amount of experience) at what point does the game become trivial?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DandyLion posted:

Another quick question: Is there a cap on how much experience a character can gain? Do most GM's put provisions in for aging or whatnot to kill off characters eventually or simply exclude playing a character past a certain amount of experience? If a player wants to use the same character adventure after adventure (and accrue what appears to be a unrealistic amount of experience) at what point does the game become trivial?

With the way the system and dice pools work, you never really hit a point where you're "overleveled". Skills keep getting better, but its pretty easy for a GM to made Adversaries correspondingly harder to hit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

With the way the system and dice pools work, you never really hit a point where you're "overleveled". Skills keep getting better, but its pretty easy for a GM to made Adversaries correspondingly harder to hit.

I don't think this is true. Eventually, characters can have 6 in every Characteristic and can be at all yellow dice with their main skills. While you can up the ante on them, it requires a lot of dice in the pool, and the fact that this raise is supposed to be narrative-driven would take its toll on any campaign. Characters will individually outclass any published enemy and collectively (due to their spread of skills and talents) be able to accomplish everything you don't explicitly make impossible to roll for. You are likely to struggle to come up with meaningful challenges for them, to the point that many things that used to be fun obstacles won't even be worth rolling for.

It is a good game and it would take a dedicated campaign with regular play to reach that point, but a time would absolutely come for those characters to become NPCs or retired, with a cast of new faces grappling with all the changes wrought on the galaxy by the previous campaign.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hmm; yeah I guess with that much spent XP, players would be pretty godlike; but if you follow the book's guidelines, you're only gonna be giving out 20ish XP for anything but the most dramatic of sessions. It'll take a long time for a group to get THAT good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Is there a target number of experience that corresponds to that 'soft' limit of available means that a GM can up the ante? What if the GM capped it at 1000xp or something to that effect and then any further xp earned is either throwaway or can be used to 're-allocate' xp at the players choice or something so they can still play a legacy character if they want to with the only advancements being re-structuring of the character?