Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really that simple. You can't "just make" it look like traditional animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

IronicDongz posted:

It's not really that simple. You can't "just make" it look like traditional animation.

You can if you're Cassette Girl. That short did a pretty good job.

Unfortunately the list of decent CG animation studios in the anime industry is quite low.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I guess the question then is why does anime have so much more issue making back its costs compared to western animation? Are American cartoons just cheaper to make, does anime have too small of a market, or some other issue?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most CG looks bad in anime because they are trying to make it look like 2D animation instead of just letting it work to its strengths.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Most CG looks bad in anime because they are trying to make it look like 2D animation instead of just letting it work to its strengths.

On top of that the base animation isn't any good to begin with.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Terrible Opinions posted:

I guess the question then is why does anime have so much more issue making back its costs compared to western animation? Are American cartoons just cheaper to make, does anime have too small of a market, or some other issue?

Yes and yes, generally speaking. Good animation is hard, expensive, and time-consuming and the entire history of animation has been a search for ways to mitigate that. American cartoons are rarely animated in anything approaching a "naturalistic" style, which Berserk pretty much demands. There are plenty of Japanese cartoons that are widely watched and make plenty of money; they tend to be the ones that don't involve elaborate revenge sagas about medieval mercenaries fighting rape horse demons and such. A lot of anime is made with the expectation that they can bilk a load of money out of a small core of obsessive fans, because the fact that it isn't going to have wide appeal is a foregone conclusion.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Forgive me if this is really dumb, but why is the cg not just made to look like normal animation? Is there something fundamentally different between all the flash and psuedo flash cartoons done in America and the poorly blended anime CG?

Yes, Flash is flat drawings using vector line tweening and CG is full 3D models that have to be modeled, rigged, textured and shaded and then animated. And animating something like Berserk is really hard because you expect all the characters to move with realistic weight but also have anime appeal and not look like they're just cutscenes out of a video game.

That's why for the movies they sometimes redrew the faces on top of the CG bodies to get the characters to look pretty good, but parts of the bodies still didn't look right. Optimally they'd use CG for the armor, sword, and legs and then maybe draw the arms, head, and cape. But that's really labor-intensive, and they didn't really get the hang of it until the 3rd movie.

There are a few studios that could maybe pull it off, like Kamikaze Douga, but they prefer to do higher-margin work. TV anime is very very low margin, which is why there's a talent flight to video games and commercials. The people who remain working in anime are very dedicated and very insane.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

klapman posted:

I'm not sure I have a choice in the matter at this point, man. I've had the Ghosts I-IV album playing constantly while I read it and it's almost perfect for Berserk. I'm in the middle of volume ten and I just can't stop

e: omg griffith :stonk:

hah, i had lots of boards of canada on full blast in headphones.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I would be happier with a mediocre Berserk game rather than another set of mediocre movies.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I know the PS2 and Dreamcast games are along the same lines, but I'd love a Golden Age-era Musou game.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I was driving down the highway earlier and in front of me I saw two trucks next to each other, a black truck and a white truck. And for just a second in my head, I thought those trucks were Guts and Griffith.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
And here's a late Christmas gift in the form of chapter 343.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

LordMune posted:

:stwoon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LOL "Summer 2016". At least it's a date of some kind.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

LOL "Summer 2016". At least it's a date of some kind.

Only six to nine more months!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Oh FOR FUCKS SAKE.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Well we got six chapters in 2015, probably as good as we can hope for :unsmith:

Not liking the otaku catnip in this last one though...

*posts irregularly*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A chapter about nothing, ilu2 Miura

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FiftySeven posted:

Oh FOR FUCKS SAKE.

I had just started catching up on Berserk after my friend told me they had gotten off of the boat. Shine on, Miura. Shine on.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LordMune posted:

Between the new movie annoucment and a bunch of new chapters, this has been a pretty good year for Berserk.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

For real though, Idolmaster jokes aside, what in the gently caress does Miura do to make a living, is he actually taking years to draw a few loving chapters here and there or is he taking an advisory role for the new anime or loving what

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I guess he makes enough off of residuals that he's not very hungry these days.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Oh no, Berserk is going to be published irregularly from now on!

I did really enjoy this chapter though. See y'all next summer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess at least we're better off than Hunter x Hunter fans ..........

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
To be fair, I was concerned it was going to be three chapters of fighting the Wicker Man. So maybe something will happen next summer?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That was a cool chapter.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
New thread title "Berserk: Now Published Irregularly".

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I'm confused whenever Miura introduces antagonists I don't want to see get chopped in half by Guts.
Thanks for the release. :)

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I think that Bosscrow took 6 months to draw. That had some crazy detail.

Also, for metal fans, Swallow the Sun always reminds me of Berserk and Dark Souls. The songs Plague of Butterflies and These Woods Breath Evil in particular.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess at least we're better off than Hunter x Hunter fans ..........

Not a single new chapter this year. A first for the series apparently. And they were still planning to get on their boat when this happened.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Berserk - Surprisingly has a better schedule than H X H

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
gently caress yo Wicker Man, I just fought a god.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

That was a cool chapter.
Your taste in anime is sugoi as always, King of Youtube.

Have you tried out Bakemonogatari?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

They really could've picked a more flattering preview image of their Guts model.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Camera recording of the teaser, proper release coming whenever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6izvgutkZs

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Aside from the CG model looking like rear end (still a step up from the movies) that wasn't too bad.

Possibly because they haven't put any effort towards making it NOT look like a middling video game cutscene - I maintain that the PS2 game is the best Berserk has ever looked in motion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really hope those are Idolmaster girls surrounding the screen.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Reds posted:

Camera recording of the teaser, proper release coming whenever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6izvgutkZs

Here's a proper teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIA9xg2oIew

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, yeah, nice PS2 cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Well, there goes my smile and optimism.