Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shine posted:

Welcome!

#1 "make life easier" tips: Buy a fuel scoop (internal slot) and the most expensive Frameshift Drive you can afford after a few missions. That will let you make larger system jumps, and refuel by flying close to many types of stars (very generally speaking, orange- and peach-colored ones. I'll spare you the longer explanation since you probably have enough stuff going through your head for now).

With those two items, the starter Sidewinder can easily make the flight out to 63 G. Capricorni, home of the Diamond Frogs. From there you can hop into the IRC channel in the PGS thread and many of us would be happy to wing up with you for bounty hunter twinking to get you more cash in a hurry.

A good power plant is helpful, too, as the efficient cooling will help prevent any Icarus-type incidents that scooping carries the risk of. I singed myself more than a few times when I was getting the hang of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

BurntCornMuffin posted:

A good power plant is helpful, too, as the efficient cooling will help prevent any Icarus-type incidents that scooping carries the risk of. I singed myself more than a few times when I was getting the hang of things.

To expand on this, you should aim to use the smallest A grade powerplant that can power your build.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You guys

Seriously guys

If you like pretty, get your rear end to BD-12 1172. It's a planetary nebula contained entirely in one system. The orbits are ridiculously complex and I sperged out for hours scanning each body and trying to figure out how it all worked together and taking screenshots and :aaa:

Whoa that's even cooler than the molten metal atmosphere world. :aaaaa:

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I think that's the Spirograph Nebula? It's gorgeous inside, well worth the trip out there.

I'm thinking of visiting some other planetary nebulae- unfortunately some of them are too far from neighboring stars to visit, but I'm gonna try some anyway.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Luneshot posted:

I think that's the Spirograph Nebula? It's gorgeous inside, well worth the trip out there.

I'm thinking of visiting some other planetary nebulae- unfortunately some of them are too far from neighboring stars to visit, but I'm gonna try some anyway.

Yep, that's Ol' Spirograph. I'd know that shade of blue anywhere. :)

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Question: The base game is available for $15 on steam sale right now. The discount on Horizons for players who already own the base game seems to be $20.

So If I buy them both that way, I can save $5 and get the "exclusive" ship for people who bought the base game first?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

VirtualStranger posted:

Question: The base game is available for $15 on steam sale right now. The discount on Horizons for players who already own the base game seems to be $20.

So If I buy them both that way, I can save $5 and get the "exclusive" ship for people who bought the base game first?

Probably, but also the exclusive ship is not very good, is the general thinking. It's like a slower, less versatile version of the ship that it supposedly "improves on", with some extra room for internal modules to compensate. It could make an okay Space Truck, perhaps, except that the actual Space Truck, the Type-6 Transporter, isn't all that much more expensive than it, and for your options of "cheap ships to use as makeshift space trucks", the Cobra Mk3 and the Viper Mk4, are both less expensive and more fun to fly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Cobra 4 looks cool though! :downs:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In the meantime, we others wait for a high-end explorer to finally finish the line. Will the Panther Clipper be a endgame explorer? Probably not, but hope is all I have. :sigh:

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
What would a high-end explorer even be?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Cobra 4 looks cool though! :downs:

I desperately wanted the Cobra 4 to be good for something. Look at its stupid little tooth nubs. I was all ready to convert my Cobra 3 into a planetary exploration RV and move my day-to-day into the Cobra 4, but nooo.

God dammit, Frontier, I just like switching ships every now and then :negative:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gasoline posted:

40 LY jump range and dual power plants so you can AFMU them and some sort of hull regeneration.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Gasoline posted:

Something like a nimbler Asp with better FSD range and maybe 1 more internal slot?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gasoline posted:

Some kind of Orca variant where you can actually look out all those giant fuckoff windows, but also has actually good jump range.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gasoline posted:

Something that jumps further than an Asp but not as far as a exploraconda.*
Something with better suited interior module layouts.*
Something that carries more fuel standard than an Asp or Conda. *

* Speculation

I just want something that's actually sporting sexy lines and isn't gimped in some way, shape or form to make the original ship in that role still appealing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They'll probably just make it a variant of the Anaconda that has like, an extra fin or something, and then call it the Exploraconda and give it a slightly larger FSD range and double the price... alongside requiring max rank in both the Fed and Imperial navies. Because grind.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gonkish posted:

They'll probably just make it a variant of the Anaconda that has like, an extra fin or something, and then call it the Exploraconda and give it a slightly larger FSD range and double the price... alongside requiring max rank in both the Fed and Imperial navies. Because grind.

They love their grind. I'm amazed they haven't added Alliance ships. I don't give a drat about the Alliance because I don't care about system permits. Like, the only system permit that matters at all is Sol, for the novelty value of orbiting all your favorite hometown planets. And you get that from Feds.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Gonkish posted:

Max Alliance rank, which they'll introduce in the same patch as the ship itself :unsmigghh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

3 posted:

Max Alliance rank, which they'll introduce in the same patch as the ship itself :unsmigghh:

You forgot to mention that the ranking missions will be broken for 6 months or more, as well.

Despite my snark, I love this game. I am just jaded by the grind. I am glad that it's a game and not a pile of JPEGs and promises, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Or they make the Panther Clipper (one of the still missing ships) a giant 200 million credit explorer. Hopefully by arguing they can only give a ship a 50+ ly jump range by making it really expensive, because :frontear: I would be OK with that. Would give me a nice goal to work for. Slowly exploring the galaxy is nice, but some variety in my goals would be also nice.

3 posted:

gently caress, I forgot about that. I'd love running for the Alliance, I only did the rank grind for the others because I liked their ships, with the Alliance I would be serious. I even have the Alliance-mug. :getin:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Libluini posted:

In the meantime, we others wait for a high-end explorer to finally finish the line. Will the Panther Clipper be a endgame explorer? Probably not, but hope is all I have. :sigh:

Panther Clipper is probably going to remain a bulk trader.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Panther Clipper is probably going to remain a bulk trader.

I know, but leave me my delusions, please

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Have all ships so far been ships brought from the original games?

Let's see some more original ships, introduce a new manufacturer in the mid-class Clipper/FAS/FDL category.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

LCL-Dead posted:

Have all ships so far been ships brought from the original games?

Let's see some more original ships, introduce a new manufacturer in the mid-class Clipper/FAS/FDL category.

Not counting new "variants" of old ships, like the Asp Explorer/Scout, the Cobra MkIV, Imperial Eagle, and the Viper MkIII/IV, over half of the ships in the game are new to Elite: Dangerous.

Adder
Anaconda
Asp Explorer
Asp Scout
Cobra MkIII
Cobra MkIV
Diamondback Explorer
Diamondback Scout
Eagle
F63 Condor (CQC Only at the moment)
Federal Assault Ship
Federal Corvette
Federal Dropship
Federal Gunship
Fe-de-Lance
Hauler
Imperial Clipper
Imperial Courier
Imperial Cutter
Imperial Eagle
Imperial Fighter (CQC Only at the moment)
Keelback
Orca
Python
Sidewinder MkI
Type-6 Transporter
Type-7 Transporter
Type-9 Heavy
Viper MkIII
Viper MkIV
Vulture

17/31

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 29, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Interesting.

Thanks for the list!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Well I visited the brown sea and got told off immediately for winding up the natives. It's comforting to know the place hasn't changed at all in my absence. :v:

So anyway, is the gravitational lensing effect missing on older graphics cards? I was visiting Maia over christmas and couldn't see any, though my mates could from about the same distance.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I would love to see a 50+ LY exploration ship. The galaxy is really fuckin' big, and even a maxed out conda at 40LY it takes forever to get to some of the interesting but distant destinations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Alehkhs posted:

Not counting new "variants" of old ships, like the Asp Explorer/Scout, the Cobra MkIV, Imperial Eagle, and the Viper MkIII/IV, over half of the ships in the game are new to Elite: Dangerous.
{snip}

Of course this also works the other way around but somehow I don't think we'll be seeing the Lifter or Kestrel any time soon. :v:

E: Although the Boa would be nice.

Itzena fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 28, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Itzena posted:

Of course this also works the other way around but somehow I don't think we'll be seeing the Lifter or Kestrel any time soon. :v:

If we get any of that poo poo before I get my Krait, someone's getting loving cut!

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Itzena posted:

Holy poo poo, a space SR-71. I want one!

Well, ok not 'space' as such from that description, but getting something like this (to be stored in fighter bay of larger ship) when flyable atmospheres come along would be neat. They don't have to keep the fact it was poo poo in Frontier Elite.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Alehkhs posted:

F63 Condor (CQC Only at the moment)

I saw some police NPCs flying these today, is that new?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Unkempt posted:

No.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Unkempt posted:

No, the note is that they're only player pilotable in CQC right now. NPCs have been flying them around stations and in war zones since launch. Same goes for the Imperial short range fighter, which isn't on that list but probably should be.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Helter Skelter posted:

No, the note is that they're only player pilotable in CQC right now. NPCs have been flying them around stations and in war zones since launch. Same goes for the Imperial short range fighter, which isn't on that list but probably should be.

Whoops, yeah - the "CQC Only" was with regards to being able to be flown by the player. Likewise, I didn't include the capital ships on the list because they're not able to be player-manned anywhere.

I've added the Imperial Fighter to the list though.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 29, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Condor and the IFighter are almost certainly going to be the options for when we get fighter bays later this year though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I think that was flat-out stated to be the case since we won't be able to shove anything with a FSD in there because reasons.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I wish I could load up a Viper or something but I'll take an iEagle or Condor/iFighter, I suppose.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I really hope the fighters arent stock because the stock fighters die in about half a second of being focused by a medium weapon.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Has there been any chatter about if multi-crewing is gonna have a offline component? Like hiring crew or the sideffect of being able to walk around/see other parts of your ship or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Viper MkIII trip report: Disrespectful to dirt. Makes jerks twerk. A good ship.

• Locked thread