Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AradoBalanga posted:

I think what Damien did is give the police an actual image of Aiden, which apparently they somehow did not have despite several NPCs having taken photos of Aiden throughout this playthrough.
Considering that Aiden has CToS Blur-Protection it wouldn't surprise me that all of the pictures of him had his faced blurred to oblivion.

The along comes this young adult girl wielding a simple Polaroid camera...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Forgot to mention Aiden's parkour skills leveling up during the Default chase.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I've probably already been beaten to it, but yeah, there is a high likelihood that someone at Ubisoft just heard of deadmau5 and quickly made Default based around his mask. He's a DJ but also a hacker and younger than Aiden! A man who quotes 4chan memes in his billboard hacks! Woah! Hell, I can almost see them trying to figure out a way to ship the game with most of the trailer for a level and just switched one guy for whatever video was playing on a dev's second monitor.

As for the lack of saving or interacting with people mechanic, it almost kind of fits as it still paints Aiden as thinner sociopath that doesn't care who he hurts as long as revenge happens. It's just incredibly shallower than the initial e3 hype would suggest you'd do by rescuing people from accidents you may have caused.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 29, 2015

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The finale should be Aiden meeting all of his incarnations he shares existence with in the Chicago time bubble, the gritty E3 demo incarnation, The Viglante Hero Incarnation and the Ubisoft Meme executive incarnation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The finale should be a written apology from everyone involved

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

R.I.P. Blanket Guard Man (1961-2014)

A kidnapping man he may be, but a caring guy for the hostages he always was.

DialTheDude fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 29, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DialTheDude posted:

R.I.P. Blanket Guard Man (1961-2014)

A kidnapping man he may be, but a caring guy for the hostages he always was.

Yeah, you get a real good salary in THAT field.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Samovar posted:

Yeah, you get a real good salary in THAT field.

A surprising new development in the privatization of incarceration.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

That random lady calling out "I'm dying over here!" after that cutscene sums my feelings up perfectly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The finale should be Aiden meeting all of his incarnations he shares existence with in the Chicago time bubble, the gritty E3 demo incarnation, The Viglante Hero Incarnation and the Ubisoft Meme executive incarnation.

It turns out that Aiden Pierce is just whoever wears the iconic coat and cap. The people who live and die in them are inconsequential and always changing.

CAVE_DOGS, the game after Primal, will expound upon this by suggesting the iconic cap is a piece of Eden and the first man and internet post evolved from paleolithic apes who wore expensive clothing from ancient aliens.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Everything about this game is just such a wet fart. Why introduce Defalt and have him jabber incessantly at you for a mission only to uncermoniously kill him off without even telling us anything about him other than "Is even more stunted and obnoxious than Aiden?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

more actual plot progression happened this video than every video since nicky was kidnapped combined

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Everything about this game is just such a wet fart. Why introduce Defalt and have him jabber incessantly at you for a mission only to uncermoniously kill him off without even telling us anything about him other than "Is even more stunted and obnoxious than Aiden?"

Having a rival hacker mess with the game the same way you do could have been really interesting. Having Defalt hack your profiling system was a cool idea with a really stupid "hax0r n00b lol" execution. Having Defalt blow things up or cut off your path by hacking the world like Aiden does is cool too but apparently he almost never does it. Then there's the fact that he had literally zero bearing on the plot. You chase him down to get back data you wind up not even needing. His entire derail is completely pointless.

There's so much cool hacking stuff they could have put in this game to make it unique and memorable but they just went with GTA Cell Phone Edition instead. I still firmly respect the composer(s), though. The music in this game is really good.

Also Deadmou5 Defalt is apparently a multimillionaire DJ that just died in a car accident and no one even so much as calls an ambulance. I especially enjoyed the guy literally walking over the debris from the wreck not even glancing in its direction.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I love just how unceremonious Pyramidheadmau5's death is. That's what he deserves for being nothing more than a two-mission long plot swerve.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I can't believe they even made this guy a DJ. It's literally just deadmau5.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

JordanKai posted:

I love just how unceremonious Pyramidheadmau5's death is. That's what he deserves for being nothing more than a two-mission long plot swerve.

More that it's what he gets for his 'sick l33t sp3ak' burn in the bunker. Die in obscurity with your hacker lingo from half a decade ago!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Why did Aiden bother with the little search he did, DJ Plot Convenience was in full view the whole time. Dude had a giant display of his mask.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Funky Valentine posted:

Why did Aiden bother with the little search he did, DJ Plot Convenience was in full view the whole time. Dude had a giant display of his mask.

Whenever you ask such things, remind yourself: Aiden Pierce is incredibly stupid.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So, what happens if you just loving shoot DJ Deadmaufive with a grenade launcher instead of looking at his sick burns to piece together his obvious location?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Geemer posted:

So, what happens if you just loving shoot DJ Deadmaufive with a grenade launcher instead of looking at his sick burns to piece together his obvious location?
98% likely it'd result in a game over right there. Not because you killed him before the "plot" shambles onward, but because you killed so many innocent civilians that the cops just spawn right there and arrest you.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Geemer posted:

You can't pull out a weapon in there. Most "social" scenes lock you to the Profiler or disable weapons. Offhand, the really obvious "I want my gun gimme gimme gimme" moments are infiltrating the auction, the sex club charade, and this scene.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 29, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I have no idea what Default's motivation was, aside from "I'm better than you :smug:" and I've played the game! Maybe he doesn't make much money from being a DJ and does hacking on the side. No idea why he needs heavily armed guards if he's just doing it for fun though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
"It's complicated." [runs over two people during a high-speed car chase]

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You think Joel Thomas Zimmerman could have any grounds for suing Ubisoft over default? I mean the fact that he hasn't because who gives a poo poo says how much no one cares about this game, but hypothetically speaking is there anything like image theft or copyright infringement by making such a blatantly similar mask that a lawsuit could have any legal teeth? Other than just sheer laziness on Ubi's side for making such a pointless character be the third time Aiden has to hack this loving sex data from.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chip Cheezum posted:

Who knew a major driving force of the plot could be solved so quickly and easily? The game could have easily ended here, but it still has the plots of two other games it wants to be to wrap up.

Episode 30: Mary Pop-ins.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

drat, seeing his sonnephew off he can't even tell his sonnephew that he loves him. Aiden really is a broken human

Funky Valentine posted:

Is it me or is Aiden much better voice-acted in the first trailer?

He was. Honestly the trailer shows the game was going to be radically different story wise, especially the bit with Jordi. Jordi is barely in the game and it seemed like he and Aiden worked together instead of Aiden hiring him. Also I liked Aiden's old look better, he looked slightly less goony

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

OldMemes posted:

I have no idea what Default's motivation was, aside from "I'm better than you :smug:" and I've played the game! Maybe he doesn't make much money from being a DJ and does hacking on the side. No idea why he needs heavily armed guards if he's just doing it for fun though.

Evil super-hacker types rarely have much motivation beyond self-glorification, in these kinds of stories. It's a form of not-good writing that isn't unique or original to this game, sadly.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Jeedy Jay posted:

Evil super-hacker types rarely have much motivation beyond self-glorification, in these kinds of stories. It's a form of not-good writing that isn't unique or original to this game, sadly.

That's not exactly untrue to life either. Most hacker groups are just jerks who take down popular things to show they can.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jeedy Jay posted:

I am eenVINCEeebull!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20elMaVZ9lg

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I do love that one of the hacked profile names was Schrodinger's Rat

EDIT: PLEASE show off the "reward" for killing Defalt in the most inappropriate mission possible.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 29, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

OldMemes posted:

I have no idea what Default's motivation was, aside from "I'm better than you :smug:" and I've played the game! Maybe he doesn't make much money from being a DJ and does hacking on the side.

It's different in Bad Blood, but in the base game Lucky Quinn hired him when Clara went rogue. Audio logs in the final mission spell it out.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

1: god drat it, I fell for the trick.

2: I'm glad Nicky didn't just forgive Aiden at the end, he doesn't deserve it and he deserved that dressing-down, even if he reacted like she was telling him a joke.

3: Jacks god drat it she just said Aiden's not coming with why are you such a dumb lumpy boy.

4: I sincerely thought they were going to go to Pawnee to live with T-Bone and that legitimately would've been great to me. T-Bone would be a good step-dad to Jacks.

5: the "loving with CToS" part was actually kinda funny and good and felt wildly out of place with this game for making me laugh and being clever.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I too thought it was leading to Pawnee.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hostile V posted:

4: I sincerely thought they were going to go to Pawnee to live with T-Bone and that legitimately would've been great to me. T-Bone would be a good step-dad to Jacks.

"Jacks, Uncle T-Bone is gonna show you how you can use your iPad to make this dragon sculpture harass rednecks."

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, the notorious hacker man "defalt" who hides his identity behind a mask just happens to be "DJ defalt", who also wears a top with "defalt" written on it and wears the same mask to big dance parties that he invites random people to by text message? And also drives around a car with screens in the back window constantly displaying images of his mask/logo? WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED IT WAS HIM OR TRACKED HIM DOWN?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just assumed he put everything in that party together for Aiden. They don't seriously expect us to think he actually did all that in his normal day to day... right?

Also, what in the world was his plan? Lure Aiden there and then... run away? In a car? The thing Aiden has destroyed tons of?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So Default really was Deadmaus? Is that it? I think I saw an icon for your minimap assuming there's now some kind of collectible activity now

Also why did they get rid of the QR Code Head Waiter from the demo? He was one of the most iconic parts for me

Defalt is also the creator of the digital trips. The map icon is for a "digital trip dealer", a leftover from before they were made accessible from your phone.

QR code waiter's still ingame.

Defalt's motivations are provided ingame and in DLC. On my copy he was much more aggressive with hacking- I'm not sure what the difference was. It's also possible to lose track of Defalt, at which point you'll eventually be pointed to his car, which will be abandoned with his mask, on a streetcorner.

Momomo posted:

I just assumed he put everything in that party together for Aiden. They don't seriously expect us to think he actually did all that in his normal day to day... right?

Correct. Defalt is meant to be a figure akin to Banksy- nobody knows who he is and his events are "spontaneous". The entire event with Defalt was a trick. It'll make sense eventually.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, the notorious hacker man "defalt" who hides his identity behind a mask just happens to be "DJ defalt", who also wears a top with "defalt" written on it and wears the same mask to big dance parties that he invites random people to by text message? And also drives around a car with screens in the back window constantly displaying images of his mask/logo? WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED IT WAS HIM OR TRACKED HIM DOWN?

Keep in mind that this is the same game-world and characters where the idea that Aiden Pearce, The Vigilante is actually Aiden Pearce is a shocking revalation and no one seems to be able to figure out anything about who Aiden Pearce is except that his niece is dead.

I suspect a global epidemic of lead poisoning.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I appreciated the Blurry Photos reference.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I just want to point out that Aiden is barely any closer to figuring out who had Maurice pull the trigger and kill Lena than he was at the end of Act 1. The only other piece of information was the video he got of Rose Washington at the beginning of Act 2, which hasn't gone anywhere.

edit: Oh yeah, and Clara has something to do with it, but she's disappeared without saying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The awkward as gently caress goodbye was really complemented by the absolutely revolting coder coat.

• Locked thread