Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Flying-PCP posted:

Comedy option: Make BotL a TV IV mod and use some kind of elaborate blackmail scheme to force them to keep the SU thread clean

Seriously though, I have no argument against your point. The level of 'discourse' is pretty much the same anywhere you go.

Level of discourse aside, Tumblr is a lot harder to discuss the show on if you're not already on it and have a ~network~ since it's not really a forum.

I mean there's 4chan but all you'll get there is people slapping their dicks on rocks and getting mad their gemwaifu didn't show up. Like an entire thread full of That Guy From The Last Thread.

I guess there's Reddit but holy poo poo its format is so bad for actual chronological discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Considering the huge amount of discussion SU gets here (typically 200+ posts on new episode days) it'd probably be a bad idea to confine discussion to this thread. It would get overwhelmed.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
If 4chan can have regular SU threads with a minimum of trolling, I'm sure SA can too. We can't well not have a separate thread for a very popular currently airing show.

On another note, I remember seeing awhile back talk about Nick possibly bringing back older shows. Or making a weird crossover movie? Has there been any more news on this?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just ban fanart and theories, that will keep the thread manageable.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nah, I enjoy both of those when they're good and fun and not about, say, Amethyst doing as they do in Rome.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Just ban fanart and theories, that will keep the thread manageable.

And close the thread during hiatuses / between episodes, isn't that forum SOP for threads full of obsessive shitposters?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think there's going to be more and more thread refugees here as executives continue the insane loving practice of having ten years between every episode of their own ips, gravity falls thread had to close too.
I really, really don't get it. It's kids shows. Why not keep airing them while your audience is kids, you wait too long their going to be high schools insecure about watching cartoons.

On this hypothetical steven universe thread:
I don't LIKE the idea of banning theorizing.

The show itself encourages thinking about its episodes and reading between the lines because well that's how its written. It's episodes are normal stand alone things that have little bits of their GRAND LORE in between the lines. And there was that Garnet reveal everyone went crazy about, which had not just hints but huge signs pointing to it (like every character is actually a rock but this one suspiciously has TWO rocks), it was still surprising because so many shows basically bad pet owners who do that thing where they pretend to throw the ball and don't, they do not have twists just bad writing and broken promises.

On the other hand when this particular audience on this particular forum tried it was horrible, and not just because of that Permabanned guy. The worst, most indescribably cringeworthy posts were "theory" posts that were basically horrible fanfiction justified by out of context lines and single-frame animation errors instead of actually watching the loving show.

Honestly the thread acted like the stereotype of tumblr than most tumblrs I've seen.

I see nothing wrong with banning fanart. Talk about the drat show. The fanart dumps drowned out the people who actually posted their own funny and smart ideas, plus there were plenty that were full of really crass poo poo why the gently caress would you post that:doh: and bad memes. The more poo poo you drag in from outside the forum the higher the probability of posting something completely inappropriate, lets just not do that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Flying-PCP posted:

Comedy option: Make BotL a TV IV mod and use some kind of elaborate blackmail scheme to force them to keep the SU thread clean

Seriously though, I have no argument against your point. The level of 'discourse' is pretty much the same anywhere you go.

Hell no, that would be awful, BOTL would be a terrible choice for being in charge of the thread or having any authority whatsoever, guy is like the textbook definition of "No Fun Allowed"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Hell no, that would be awful, BOTL would be a terrible choice for being in charge of the thread or having any authority whatsoever, guy is like the textbook definition of "No Fun Allowed"

:thejoke:

From the sounds of it the whole problem is that the thread can't be trusted with fun anyway. Just talk about stuff here if you actually want to talk about the show and not insanity/shitposting, it's not like this thread is very active otherwise.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 29, 2015

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Personally, I think this "meh, closing the thread during hiatus" stuff is a real butthurt practice that keeps people from sharing cool interviews and news about said shows.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

Personally, I think this "meh, closing the thread during hiatus" stuff is a real butthurt practice that keeps people from sharing cool interviews and news about said shows.

Fully agree

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Fully agree

Glad someone does. Because now I gotta go to loving Reddit to see if there's been any news about the Gravity Falls finale.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

El Tortuga posted:

most shows' threads are well behaved enough to do that, and have not been closed or singled out. this one was. you cannot completely go "oh no outsiders" at this, i was there and i saw the poo poo that got posted and posted and posted AND POSTED.

people were not posting to entertain others they were just dumping poo poo and being nuts.

hell the giant flood of posts, most about whether the thread was the victim of a gbs conspiracy or if it was the posters who were terrible, that happens every time the show is mentioned just shows that it is not time for a thread just yet and the same mistakes will be made because everything that went wrong was either johntfs or "outsiders" and there wasn't those horrible sex joke fanarts I stayed silent about or that time but grated on me and other poo poo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

Glad someone does. Because now I gotta go to loving Reddit to see if there's been any news about the Gravity Falls finale.

Yeah really annoying to see it happen both here and on /co/ to SU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

send the steven universe thread to the anime forum

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I ended up watching the entirety of the new TMNT series with my sister over the holidays. My god, this show is the most blatant "BUY OUR TOYS" show since the early 2000's version of He-Man.

Also, they successfully turned Donatello into a creep. Very disappointed.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I ended up watching the entirety of the new TMNT series with my sister over the holidays. My god, this show is the most blatant "BUY OUR TOYS" show since the early 2000's version of He-Man.

Also, they successfully turned Donatello into a creep. Very disappointed.

How,if you don't mind me asking? I was kinda put off of TMNT after Fast Forward or whatever it was called. So I'm out of touch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the Steven Universe discussion, there was a cute video that Rebecca Sugar, Zach Callison (Steven's VO) and Shelby Rabara (Peridot's VO) thanking Tumblr for being the most reblogged cartoon on the website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGYFXodTek

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They blatantly build plots around the idea of selling the turtles in different costumes, there's a number of episodes about selling yet another mutant toy that diverts from the main plot, characters undergo changes in order to become a more toyetic character or so they can SELL new toys instead of the old ones, and in the middle of season 2 they edit the opening simply so they can advertise the new zipline based toys.

the 2k3 episodes did that too to an extent but this feels more egregious. The fact I dislike these versions of the characters immensely doesn't help.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

VolticSurge posted:

How,if you don't mind me asking? I was kinda put off of TMNT after Fast Forward or whatever it was called. So I'm out of touch.

well a new one started in 2012 that was simultaneously less serious but in some ways more horror oriented

I haven't watched since mid third season, but first season was very, VERY good and second season was... not really as good but okay (even if don is, yes, a creep... they were going for teenagers first love interest but mishandled that). third season had the first really unwatchable episode (bigfoot) and was unable to rebuild my goodwill after that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The show also can't introduce a female character that isn't built up as a love interest, allowed to be a regular, or

not a disguise for an alien.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Season 1 is pretty excellent, season 2 does get kinda ehh but still pretty nice and then season 3 was pretty bad outside of a few good episodes in the backhalf (FEW) and now season 4 just has nothing interesting since it's all in space with just the turtles, April and Casey and Dr. Who.

Actually gently caress it, yeah just watch Season 1 and drop it there. Casey is introduced in season 2 but the biggest sin in the world is done with him: his hanging out with Raph is great... but he has twice as many interactions with loving Donnie (they both like April, you see) so the worst turtle drags Casey down and thus Raph doesn't get his bro buddy moments. Season 2 is also when it becomes glaringly obvious that they don't have enough thought out for Karai and just showcase that they're pretty awful with female characters.

Read the IDW comic, it's pretty great, does some really interesting stuff that's unique yet taking elements of all that came before and it's still going strong.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, if you consider the fact that the original show was just devised by mattel to sell the toys once they got the rights to merchandising the comic, the new show's just being true to its roots.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The show also can't introduce a female character that isn't built up as a love interest, allowed to be a regular, or

Huh, I never realized it before, but the entire show probably doesn't pass the bechdel test. Weird, normally TV shows have an easier time of it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

El Tortuga posted:

i agree, steven universe just shouldn't be discussed on the forums

or if it is, done in VEGETA since, it's, you know. anime.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

BioEnchanted posted:

On the Steven Universe discussion, there was a cute video that Rebecca Sugar, Zach Callison (Steven's VO) and Shelby Rabara (Peridot's VO) thanking Tumblr for being the most reblogged cartoon on the website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGYFXodTek

that's very cute.
I like Sugar's lil message there, too, it's very important.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Huh, I never realized it before, but the entire show probably doesn't pass /the bechdel test. Weird, normally TV shows have an easier time of it.

there was a recent horrible interview with a head writer of the show talking about how doesn't want the female characters to get too powerful. citing teen titans as a bad example (oh no, what would happen if we made characters people LIKED? and they were GIRLS????)

between that, a critically horrible episode and the show just being less fun in general it all conspired to make me stop watching the show even though I really, REALLY friggin loved season 1

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 29, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, season 1 was surprisingly good since I totally expected the show to be poo poo. But season 2 just became boring poo poo and I couldn't be bothered to watch anymore. Seems I made the right choice.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've never watched it but I always kept hearing it was really good for some reason so this is sort of surprising.

What was the general consensus on the 2000 version of the show? I always saw it running when I was younger but never really stopped to watch it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've never watched it but I always kept hearing it was really good for some reason so this is sort of surprising.

What was the general consensus on the 2000 version of the show? I always saw it running when I was younger but never really stopped to watch it.

It was good for a couple of seasons, then it fell into the trap of "giving the show a new name and retooling the concept every season" that seems to still be popular with some cartoon series. Whenever it was that they started the "ninja trials" or whatever is where it took a nose dive to me, then I think after that they just went scorched earth and spent a couple seasons time traveling into the future and changed the show's aesthetic altogether, and they tried to bring it back to present time but the damage had already been done.

So I'd say the first 3-4 seasons, then skip the rest and watch the Turtles Forever movie where they cross over with the '80s series.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

SlothfulCobra posted:

Huh, I never realized it before, but the entire show probably doesn't pass the bechdel test. Weird, normally TV shows have an easier time of it.

I think there's a scene where Karai and April talk about their dead moms as they fight so it probably does pass the Bechdel Test.

As a child of the 80s I am really disappointed in how TMNT 2012 turned out. The first season was great and then it fell drastically in quality. And yeah, the treatment of the female characters is terrible for all kinds of reasons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's a shame to hear all of that; I watched TMNT until the end of season 2, but everything that happened with Karai stank of not allowing her to catch a break.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's a shame to hear all of that; I watched TMNT until the end of season 2, but everything that happened with Karai stank of not allowing her to catch a break.

Seconded. I stopped watching, not out of choice, right before the turtles left the woods to go take New York back from the Krang, and it's really sad to hear it's dropped so much in quality. Especially after hearing they were bringing characters like Mondo Gecko in. I might still start watching it again, but it's good to know what I should be prepared for.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Season 1 is pretty excellent, season 2 does get kinda ehh but still pretty nice and then season 3 was pretty bad outside of a few good episodes in the backhalf (FEW) and now season 4 just has nothing interesting since it's all in space with just the turtles, April and Casey and Dr. Who.
I've generally liked season 4 so far, but I like space/sci-fi stuff and the Fugitoid. The flipside is that the show basically got more interesting to me because they put the ongoing stuff on hold, rather than addressing it. So once they finish the space arc and get back to earth, it's back to the uninteresting crap.

raditts posted:

It was good for a couple of seasons, then it fell into the trap of "giving the show a new name and retooling the concept every season" that seems to still be popular with some cartoon series. Whenever it was that they started the "ninja trials" or whatever is where it took a nose dive to me, then I think after that they just went scorched earth and spent a couple seasons time traveling into the future and changed the show's aesthetic altogether, and they tried to bring it back to present time but the damage had already been done.

So I'd say the first 3-4 seasons, then skip the rest and watch the Turtles Forever movie where they cross over with the '80s series.
Nicktoons has been replaying the 2003 series, and yeah the first 4 seasons are generally good; I was actually surprised at how well it's aged. Season 5 was the beginning of the retools/messing with it, season 6 was the future stuff, season 7 tried to bring it back but :shrug:. They're not unwatchable, just not as good as the first 4 seasons.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
While I'm posting about it, comparing the two series highlighted the issues that everyone has mentioned: the Zog plot was a lot better in the 2003 series, April was generally competent in the 2003 series, and the 2003/2012 Renet episodes were similar, except the 2012 series added a romance plot with Mikey because *reasons*. That tied it all together for me:

TFRazorsaw posted:

Acne Rain posted:

there was a recent horrible interview with a head writer of the show talking about how doesn't want the female characters to get too powerful. citing teen titans as a bad example (oh no, what would happen if we made characters people LIKED? and they were GIRLS????)
This is the root of so many of the issues with the 2012 series: they can't write female characters for poo poo (or are interfered with if they do), and so the series gets bogged down with relationship crap. I never thought I'd write something like this, but April and Casey's relationship in the 2003 series is somehow written much better than any of the romance stuff in the 2012 series, just because it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yknow since toyeticness was brought up as a complaint about tmnt2012:

Honestly I've watched plenty of stupid poo poo for age groups decades under my real age and I guess I hadn't noticed it in turtles. It's not like in this age of marvel movies breaking the billions it's escapable.

But I've started getting this sort of bizarre respect for toyetic shows now.
See, look at it this way: you're a writer and you just want to tell a story, but you have this huge list of superficial poo poo you have to have in it.

I say if you can make that into a strong narrative, more power to you, no one would blame you for giving up (like bob budiansky on 1980s transformers comics). Seen this in Japanese tokusatsu shows, which have become insanely toyetic (they sell kids abstract things like batteries and plastic eyeballs of dead celebrities or talking usb keys) but they still try to make coherent narratives of them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I gave nothing against totemic shows. I'm a TF fan for christ's sake. But you have to make it work with the story.

Changing the opening just to have a prominent "BUY ZIPLINES" segment is just tacky.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think there's a very clear line between a show that is very toy friendly and a show designed to sell toys. A toy friendly cartoon would be like Batman which has a ton of stuff you can make toys out of but still serve the show and it's plot. Something designed to sell toys is something that's "oh no how are we gonna get outta this jam? Better get the new ultra super duper robo armor that's also available for purchase at your local Toys R Us!"

Were those reboots a few years back of He-Man and Thundercats worth a drat? I have no attachment to either franchise, but I saw a clip of the He-Man one that was about Skeletor's origin and it was kinda cool and pretty dark, the animation looked great as well.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 29, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

Were those reboots a few years back of He-Man and Thundercats worth a drat? I have no attachment to either franchise, but I saw a clip of the He-Man one that was about Sketor's origin and it was kinda cool and pretty dark, the animation looked great as well.

He-Man was pretty good overall, Thundercats was kinda all over the place in terms of quality

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

OldTennisCourt posted:

Were those reboots a few years back of He-Man and Thundercats worth a drat? I have no attachment to either franchise, but I saw a clip of the He-Man one that was about Sketor's origin and it was kinda cool and pretty dark, the animation looked great as well.
The Thundercats one was pretty good (although yeah, a bit uneven), unfortunately it got cancelled just as it was getting interesting. (It and Sym-Bionic Titan both got kinda screwed at the same time.)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The Thundercats remake was decent, but the pilot writes a huge check that the rest of the season doesn't really cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thundercats' biggest problem was that it had a pretty drat good pilot, then a pretty good ending arc, but had absolutely nothing of quality holding the two ends together.