Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm fine with him getting super robotized too. I mainly just want to avoid the ever common 'hero takes nearly fatal blow and is fine two weeks later' trope.

I will say I really liked that he used a light saber as a non-jedi. And that he was appropriately beaten down several times since he has no training with it.

I agree with this. I also like how Finn, not being force-sensitive in any way, still fights with a lightsaber way, way better than Rey did. He does have actual combat training, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DARPA posted:

Still mystified at jj not understanding space. Trek and wars both have the reaction shot to a planet exploding overhead despite being light years apart

He's just enjoying the troll - like Lucas in the 'Han Shot First' shirt. On a related note I finally saw Interstellar on Amazon Prime and it s highly recommended. But why didn't they have a system of surveying a planet from orbit before landing? Movie ruined.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

RBA Starblade posted:

Father, the Force has awakened!

:vince:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Chakram posted:

I agree with this. I also like how Finn, not being force-sensitive in any way, still fights with a lightsaber way, way better than Rey did. He does have actual combat training, after all.

I'm thinking Rey will end up using a staff-saber.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really enjoyed how pissed every trooper was at Finn and all the traitor stuff. A stormtrooper up and defecting like that is so unprecedented they would all be really loving mad about it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed the parallels between the stormtroopers and the Jedi.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Chakram posted:

I do still think that there are still a few hints that Finn may be a little force sensitive, even if it's more in the manner that Leia is. I could also just be 100% misreading the things I'm thinking of!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chakram posted:

I'm still hoping Finn is force sensitive.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Gorelab posted:

I do still think that there are still a few hints that Finn may be a little force sensitive, even if it's more in the manner that Leia is. I could also just be 100% misreading the things I'm thinking of!

Maz hands him a Jedi weapon with the expectation that he'd be able to use it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Maz hands him a Jedi weapon with the expectation that he'd be able to use it.

That's part of it. I think if there was nothing there she wouldn't have been like 'Hey use it!'. The other part is that the way the scene where he sees the Starkiller shot streaking across the sky is composed it came off to me as if the screaming was otherworldly and not people in the area screaming. In general it felt a lot like how Obi-wan described the destruction of Alderaan.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Well you don't really need to have Force abilities to use a laser sword.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

KakerMix posted:

He doesn't need to be, and it would kinda ruin the way he defected from the empire to carve out his own destiny if it was "the will of the force" all along

The only reason he's not chilling out in the outskirts of the galaxy, far from any sort of star war, is due to his own sense of loyalty to his friends

Rey on the other hand, is destined whether she likes it or not. She gets rad force powers though, so it evens out that way

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chakram posted:

Well you don't really need to have Force abilities to use a laser sword.

Think less literally. Maz offers the weapon to Rey, because she's strong in the Force. She then offers it to Finn, why?

Gorelab posted:

That's part of it. I think if there was nothing there she wouldn't have been like 'Hey use it!'. The other part is that the way the scene where he sees the Starkiller shot streaking across the sky is composed it came off to me as if the screaming was otherworldly and not people in the area screaming. In general it felt a lot like how Obi-wan described the destruction of Alderaan.

Also, when Snoke describes the "awakening", it's before Rey awakens to the Force, and we've had a character who just awoke to the reality of their job and life...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Effectronica posted:

Think less literally. Maz offers the weapon to Rey, because she's strong in the Force. She then offers it to Finn, why?

Well, once you take it out of the box it loses a lot of its collector value. Probably just looking to unload it at that point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Krowley posted:

He doesn't need to be, and it would kinda ruin the way he defected from the empire to carve out his own destiny if it was "the will of the force" all along

The only reason he's not chilling out in the outskirts of the galaxy, far from any sort of star war, is due to his own sense of loyalty to his friends

Rey on the other hand, is destined whether she likes it or not. She gets rad force powers though, so it evens out that way
How would it ruin the way he defected from the First Order? Like cinematically he is the guy who has a big "awakening," right there in the first act, which drives him to do good and accomplish things. It isn't like he's going to get some snarky Bioware dialogue about how now he's a mutant cult member if he takes up the lightsaber.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Like I could very well see Finn going another path, but it does feel like there's enough in there on purpose for nerds to argue about.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

lizardman posted:

Not that anybody asked, but here's my father's synopsis of Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

He's been through two divorces, so...

He's right I've found in life

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Gorelab posted:

That was my read as well. If he does end up being Force sensitive, there are hints which are dropped in this movie. If he's not Force sensitive, there are other reasonable explanations for those things.

i.e.:

The village slaughter in the opening traumatizes him because he's actually feeling in through the Force and it breaks the conditioning VS it's a hosed up indiscriminate slaughter which just happens to break him out of his conditioning.

He hears the screams of those about to die on the Republic worlds VS He hears the screams of those on Takodana who see the Starkiller beam firing through the sky.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
I'm not ready for the internet fallout when the cute and interesting female lead gets the True Hero status hijacked from her in a twist.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I don't think him also becoming a jedi type would mean that she'd lose her status as the main hero.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Chakram posted:

I'm not ready for the internet fallout when the cute and interesting female lead gets the True Hero status hijacked from her in a twist.

Yeah what? How does him being a Jedi too make her any less of a ~True Hero~? She's the one who beat up the Darth Nerder while Finn got spine'd.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sinking belle posted:

I don't mind that name at all and I think it feels authentically star wars-y but yeah after seeing this flick three times "it was snoke :reject:" is the only thing I really dislike about it :sigh:

There's actually a character from the EU named [url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Snoke_Loroan]Snoke[url], who was supposedly a name given to one of the Rebel pilots who made the suicide attack run on the Executor in RotJ (not the A-wing pilot).

lizardman posted:

Not that anybody asked, but here's my father's synopsis of Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

He's been through two divorces, so...

I can see why he'd take Han dying pretty hard. Han's the ultimate player and there's two ways players end, it's either getting married or dying.

KakerMix posted:

I'm actually hoping that they kinda go with the idea that everyone can use the Force and not just people with high midicholorian counts. That seems to be what a lot of people got into the OT, before it turned into the Skywalker family drama, that even moisture farm boys on backwater planets could use this mystical power. poo poo, even the Rebellion used "May the Force be with you" as their motto to get them pumped for the Death Star attack runs, so there's this idea that the Force wasn't just limited to the Jedi in the OT.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Finn can become a Jedi & him and poe can gently caress up the knights of ren while Rey takes down the boss man

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

How would it ruin the way he defected from the First Order? Like cinematically he is the guy who has a big "awakening," right there in the first act, which drives him to do good and accomplish things.

It doesn't drive him to do good things, it drove him to run the gently caress away from the First Order. Rey is what drove him to actually fight against the First Order.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Yeah, I realize after posting it that that's pretty ridiculous.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chakram posted:

Yeah, I realize after posting it that that's pretty ridiculous.

It's not an unreasonable feeling. Star Wars hasn't always had the best presentation of its female characters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Khizan posted:

It doesn't drive him to do good things, it drove him to run the gently caress away from the First Order. Rey is what drove him to actually fight against the First Order.
He stole a TIE Fighter in order to help Poe escape. Yes, he had to run too but he did selflessly aid both Rey and Poe, his goal just wasn't so much "help the principled opposition" as "be a good fellow and get the gently caress away"

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I really hope they don't make it so Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter. I think that would be so stupid. I just don't see Luke being the type to go around the galaxy knocking people up after Return of the Jedi. I'm kinda hoping she's just some random and not blood related to any of the original characters. Well, maybe not "random" - it seems like she's important I'm just hoping she's not important because of some blood relationship

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Trollipop posted:

I really hope they don't make it so Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter. I think that would be so stupid. I just don't see Luke being the type to go around the galaxy knocking people up after Return of the Jedi. I'm kinda hoping she's just some random and not blood related to any of the original characters. Well, maybe not "random" - it seems like she's important I'm just hoping she's not important because of some blood relationship
My guess is that she's the child of two of Luke's students, which could justify both the weird sense of closeness and explain why she has such a high concentration of midichlorians giving her such an intuitive command of the Force :tem:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

He stole a TIE Fighter in order to help Poe escape. Yes, he had to run too but he did selflessly aid both Rey and Poe, his goal just wasn't so much "help the principled opposition" as "be a good fellow and get the gently caress away"

Pretty sure Finn needed Poe because he was a pilot. Poe was convenient for him at the time.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Werent the original rumors that one of the new chaarcters would be Luke's ADOPTED daughter. I'd like that twist for Rey.

"Rey, I am your caregiver"

"NooooooooOOOOOOoooooooooo!!"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Effectronica posted:

"This kid has a boner overload for Rey, if I give him the saber he's sure to follow her around and she'll get it eventually. Or die horribly and she'll pick it up anyway."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

iSheep posted:

Pretty sure Finn needed Poe because he was a pilot. Poe was convenient for him at the time.

And then he immediately ran into a burning spaceship to try and pull him out.

Bad Moon posted:

"This kid has a boner overload for Rey, if I give him the saber he's sure to follow her around and she'll get it eventually. Or die horribly and she'll pick it up anyway."

"You have a weapon!"

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I don't think there has been any indication Fin can use the force. Maz seemed more concerned with getting the lightsaber back to Luke than anything else. That Rey was clearly a force user seemed a bonus. Unless I'm misremembering.

Also, I thought they established Rey as an adequate melee weapons user early on with the staff so it wouldn't be absurd when she beat Kylo, especially in a weakened state. Honestly from what's presented in the movie I thought we were supposed to believe Rey had superior skill to Fin.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Effectronica posted:

It's not an unreasonable feeling. Star Wars hasn't always had the best presentation of its female characters.

Lucas totally dubbed a male voice over a female actress playing a Rebel pilot in Return of the Jedi, so you're right, but I expect the current creators to be a lot more mindful these days when it comes to female representation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think she gave it to him because she thought it'd get to Rey. However, if that's ALL she waned I think the scene would have been explicit about that. Her telling him to actually use it comes off as a little weird. He's not trained at all in it, and it doesn't seem like it'd have been hard to find him a blaster.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Young Freud posted:

Lucas totally dubbed a male voice over a female actress playing a Rebel pilot in Return of the Jedi, so you're right, but I expect the current creators to be a lot more mindful these days when it comes to female representation.

lol

quote:

"Anyway, that A-wing pilot is a British woman who was voiced over by an American guy."
―Pablo Hidalgo[src]

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Snoke's final "training" for Ren is going to intentionally get him killed by Rey, who Snoke ultimately wants as his true dark side protege. Rey will become very very bad. Finn will try to stop Luke from killing her, because Finn is in love with her, and will get himself killed in the process. Rey will feel bad and return to the light.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I hope they go to "everyone can use the force, if they train hard enough/gain deep insight into it" like Kasdan? originally proposed.
edit: beaten by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kulkasha posted:

I hope they go to "everyone can use the force, if they train hard enough/gain deep insight into it" like Kasdan? originally proposed.

It's from Lucas in 1977. Some people are more naturally gifted, but anyone can learn how to do it if they are willing.

• Locked thread