Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's because Japan likes him the person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah he's the number one Japanese folklore hero so of course he's the central character in historical action games even if he's not as specifically, concrete impressive as, say, Honda Tadakatsu.

Also it's funny that Yukimura is just some name people invented for him later based on his dad's name, like if we just decided to call George Washington George Augustine for no reason.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Policenaut posted:

Sengoku BASARA is back with a brand new game.

Sengoku BASARA: Sanada Yukimura-Den for PS3 and PS4. Reportedly an action-adventure game starring Yukimura and not a standard Warriors game.

Quite literally the only positive of this, is that Kenshin is more guaranteed to show up then normal, given his rivalry with Shingen.

Course, that rivalry might not stop Capcom from shoving him aside yet again, so I shouldn't get my hopes up that much.

Still, for gently caress's sake, WHY Yukimura? Why not, as mentioned, Masamune?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I love Yukimura and his story. I'm sure the reality is much less romantic, but I find the story shown in the games to be pretty heartbreaking. I honestly teared up while rampaging in his final battle at Osaka Castle.

Even this, whether true or not, is great:

Wikipedia posted:

According to The Life of Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu by A.L. Sadler, in his intense fight against the wavering Echizen troops, Yukimura was badly wounded and exhausted. Soldiers from the Echizen army quickly went to Sanada. Too tired to fight back, Yukimura allowed the men to kill him, reportedly saying, "I am Sanada Nobushige, no doubt an adversary quite worthy of you, but I am exhausted and can fight no longer. Go on, take my head as your trophy". A man by the name of Nishio Nizaemon chopped off Sanada’s head.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sounds pretty bitchmade tbh, especially for a "legendary warrior"

Thomas Baker WW2 Medal of Honor posted:

Sgt. Baker refused to be moved any farther stating that he preferred to be left to die rather than risk the lives of any more of his friends. A short time later, at his request, he was placed in a sitting position against a small tree. Another comrade, withdrawing, offered assistance. Sgt. Baker refused, insisting that he be left alone and be given a soldier's pistol with its remaining 8 rounds of ammunition. When last seen alive, Sgt. Baker was propped against a tree, pistol in hand, calmly facing the foe. Later Sgt. Baker's body was found in the same position, gun empty, with 8 Japanese lying dead before him.

and that's just some dude

mbt fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 16, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sanada Nobushige was actually pretty old by then and his last words were him basically admitting that it's impossible for him to live up to his own reputation, which is alright in my book.

What makes his story compelling enough that folklore sprung up around him after his death is that he went to his last battle knowing he would die fighting for a just, if lost, cause: to prevent the extermination of the family founded by the man who avenged Oda Nobunaga and reunified the then-already splintering country. Official histories try to muddle things because history is written by the victor, but it's pretty apparent that Tokugawa Ieyasu acted, essentially, as an opportunistic usurper who was unsatisfied with merely serving on a five-man regency council waiting for Hideyoshi's heir to come of age.

The reason why the Osaka sieges even happened was because everybody knew it, the Tokugawa regime was viewed as illegitimate by many and a lot of unsatisfied people were hoping, deep down, that the Toyotomi would reclaim power. Obviously people are pragmatic enough to let things slide if the alternative is death, but the Toyotomi clan felt, not without reason, that they were the legitimate rulers of shogunate and that Ieyasu betrayed them. He was however merciful enough to allow them to persist for fifteen years after his uprising and victory at Sekigahara, something he would come to regret in the last years of his life when he feared they were positioning themselves, in the long term, to rise again.

The first Osaka siege was a warning. The second was an extermination.

Sanada Yukimura escaped from house arrest and raised as many troops as he could to prevent the purge from happening, even though he knew it was impossible and that he wouldn't be able to stop the inevitable. He knew that more than anyone. But if he didn't at least try, who else would?

That's why he's a hero.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

First look at Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence Sengoku Risshiden. It sounds like an Officer-based Nobunaga game!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Sanada Nobushige was actually pretty old by then and his last words were him basically admitting that it's impossible for him to live up to his own reputation, which is alright in my book.

What makes his story compelling enough that folklore sprung up around him after his death is that he went to his last battle knowing he would die fighting for a just, if lost, cause: to prevent the extermination of the family founded by the man who avenged Oda Nobunaga and reunified the then-already splintering country. Official histories try to muddle things because history is written by the victor, but it's pretty apparent that Tokugawa Ieyasu acted, essentially, as an opportunistic usurper who was unsatisfied with merely serving on a five-man regency council waiting for Hideyoshi's heir to come of age.

The reason why the Osaka sieges even happened was because everybody knew it, the Tokugawa regime was viewed as illegitimate by many and a lot of unsatisfied people were hoping, deep down, that the Toyotomi would reclaim power. Obviously people are pragmatic enough to let things slide if the alternative is death, but the Toyotomi clan felt, not without reason, that they were the legitimate rulers of shogunate and that Ieyasu betrayed them. He was however merciful enough to allow them to persist for fifteen years after his uprising and victory at Sekigahara, something he would come to regret in the last years of his life when he feared they were positioning themselves, in the long term, to rise again.

The first Osaka siege was a warning. The second was an extermination.

Sanada Yukimura escaped from house arrest and raised as many troops as he could to prevent the purge from happening, even though he knew it was impossible and that he wouldn't be able to stop the inevitable. He knew that more than anyone. But if he didn't at least try, who else would?

That's why he's a hero.

I believe the expression regarding Oda > Toyotomi > Tokugawa goes, "Nobunaga beat the rice, Hideyoshi shaped the cake, and Ieyasu ate it."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

5er posted:

I believe the expression regarding Oda > Toyotomi > Tokugawa goes, "Nobunaga beat the rice, Hideyoshi shaped the cake, and Ieyasu ate it."

This is perfect on so many levels.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

Sengoku BASARA is back with a brand new game.

Sengoku BASARA: Sanada Yukimura-Den for PS3 and PS4. Reportedly an action-adventure game starring Yukimura and not a standard Warriors game.

This sounds pretty interesting! Some notes from Raindrops' blog:

quote:

• As part of the Sengoku Basara Retsuden series the game's story focuses on an individual character (Yukimura) as one long dramatic story, full of blazing drama which runs closer to actual history.

• KobaP said that Yukimura is a very important character in the Sengoku Basara series and they felt as though he hasn't had many opportunities to take a central role as the main series developed. Since the 400th anniversaries of the Osaka Winter Siege and Summer Siege took place last year and this year, it made him want to try focusing on Yukimura from a new perspective.

• It's going to be a Sengoku Basara game with a single long story, a little like Devil May Cry or Biohazard (Resident Evil).

• ... It wouldn't really be possible to tell Yukimura's life story properly if his family didn't appear, so his father Sanada Masayuki and older brother Sanada Nobuyuki will be in the game as new characters. Yukimura will have father-son and brotherly connections in the game as well as his usual rivalry with Masamune.

Personally I think they chose a good character to start the Retsuden series off with. Yukimura is pretty popular but he's always been somewhat sidelined by Masamune. A game focusing on him means he'll be developed more and hopefully will become more of an equal rival to Masamune in the Basara series. Masamune will also be in the game and will be playable in sections so it's not like he's absent.

Also I like Basara's Yukimura. :shobon: He's not my absolute favourite but his earnest enthusiasm is pretty endearing and he's great fun to play as in Sumeragi. I remember Warriors' Yukimura being painfully bland in comparison (although to be fair the only Samurai Warriors I've played is 1 so perhaps he got better?).

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
So, Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence is half off at the winter sale, Should I get it, or hold out for Risshiden instead? The Criticisms I've heard about SoI about a lack of depth would seem to be covered by a more officer focused version.

Also, no discount on DQ Heroes? :cmon:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I would hold out for Risshiden. The SoI scenarios are focused on quests and events, and you need either a knowledge of Japanese history or a walkthrough to get the events to trigger properly. You can pick a minor clan or ignore the quest events, but Risshiden will probably be better at that somewhat more freestyle play.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So I tried to buy Bladestorm Nightmare on PC now that it has dipped below my maximum price range during the sale, but uhhhh what's up with the frame rate on any graphics setting above low? The aggressively accented bartender got his entire opening speech out before he managed to move, and turning everything to low makes the hair look like poorly drawn sheets of that digital camouflage stuff.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
You can get dq heroes off of green man gaming for $48.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Does that give a steam key or do you have to run a separate client?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
It will give you a steam key.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Is pirate warriors 3 worth it for half off on PC assuming I know nothing about one piece and just want more dynasty warriors with new characters and maybe mechanics?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yes. Just ignore the name and treat it as Magical Pirate Adventures 3.

Oh, and Sanji can't hurt women. Not sure they ever really explain that one in the game since fans would know.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

HPanda posted:

Yes. Just ignore the name and treat it as Magical Pirate Adventures 3.

Oh, and Sanji can't hurt women. Not sure they ever really explain that one in the game since fans would know.
Easy, all the beautiful women are either already on his side or he has to beat the brainwashing out of them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The combat is closer to a fighting game with the ability to cancel literally any attack. Probably the best combat for games outside of platinum.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Policenaut posted:

New Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYMoLRc2IUA

Man I can't wait to hear more about the English release. It's been so long since RoTK 10, I need my Officer-style!

Oh my god finally, I've been waiting for so long

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Tae posted:

The combat is closer to a fighting game with the ability to cancel literally any attack. Probably the best combat for games outside of platinum.

Is this comment directed at pirate warriors? If so then that's an instant purchase!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Debut trailer for the Sengoku Basara about Yukimura. Date looks cool!

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/sengoku-basara-sanada-yukimura-den-debut-trailer

Has anyone played 4 Sumeragi? It's starting to get cheap on eBay and I was thinking of importing the PS4 version and playing it with the translation guide for 4.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Onion Rings posted:

Is this comment directed at pirate warriors? If so then that's an instant purchase!

Yes. But I wouldn't go so far as to say the combat is that involved/interesting. Definitely a step above other musou games but you're still going to be mostly mashing your best crowd clearing combo and then mashing out your best single target one when you run up against an enemy commander.

I haven't played DQH yet but OPPW3 is by far the most fun Musou game I've played and only falls short of Hyrule Warriors in terms of polish.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jibo posted:

Yes. But I wouldn't go so far as to say the combat is that involved/interesting. Definitely a step above other musou games but you're still going to be mostly mashing your best crowd clearing combo and then mashing out your best single target one when you run up against an enemy commander.

I haven't played DQH yet but OPPW3 is by far the most fun Musou game I've played and only falls short of Hyrule Warriors in terms of polish.

I've played all 3 and it's really hard to pick a winner. I might give it to OPPW3 because it feels the closest to traditional Musou while having a ton of One Piece flavor and content. That said I wasn't really a fan of the departures DQH took from the format, so someone who did like them might like that game a lot better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got Samurai Warriors 4 for Christmas and holy smokes, this game is drat good. I haven't played the series since 2 but having triangle be a crowd destroying combo starter was a great idea. I'm having loads of fun just mucking around in Chronicle Mode. I'm looking forward to playing Empires when that comes out in March. The graphics are pretty decent too. The one area where it's raining out looks pretty alright.

I'll have to pop it in and see if I'm just not remembering it correctly but what did they do to Mitsuhide movest? It's friggan lousy. He was one of my go-to characters in previous entries (in Samurai Warriors 2, Ginchiyo replaced him) and he had a really good selection of moves. In 34 they're all incredibly lackluster with this Square x4 then triangle (Where you draw the full moon) is probably the worst in the game. It does hardly any damage and it has no combo attached to it. Luckily Ginchiyo is still god-tier.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 29, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Vaguely related but Samurai Warriors is getting in on that DOA stuff.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/27/samurai-warriors-naotora-ii-to-join-dead-or-alive-5-last-round-cast/

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hey, I'll take another avenue of hitting Naotora Ii upside the head.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I'll have to pop it in and see if I'm just not remembering it correctly but what did they do to Mitsuhide movest? It's friggan lousy. He was one of my go-to characters in previous entries (in Samurai Warriors 2, Ginchiyo replaced him) and he had a really good selection of moves. In 3 they're all incredibly lackluster with this Square x4 then triangle (Where you draw the full moon) is probably the worst in the game. It does hardly any damage and it has no combo attached to it. Luckily Ginchiyo is still god-tier.

I feel like after the first game they had an internal meeting and went "Okay let's make Mitsuhide really good in 2 and important to the plot. Strong characterization, tragic figure, good moveset, the works. From then on he'll be a milquetoast weiner forever though. Heck let's have Nobunaga win the duel and immolate himself half the time."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember in WO1 where his R attack was amazing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there anywhere that lists the S-rank requirements for Pirate Warriors 3? It seems to vary by stage (and platform apparently, I'm on PC).

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there anywhere that lists the S-rank requirements for Pirate Warriors 3? It seems to vary by stage (and platform apparently, I'm on PC).

Story mode is 2500 kills, 1000 !'s, and I think 36 minutes. Dream log is is 2000 kills, 1000 !'s, and 18 minutes. I don't think the requirements change between levels; it's possible some story maps have tighter time requirements, but I don't think I ever noticed any major discrepancies.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

kvx687 posted:

Story mode is 2500 kills, 1000 !'s, and I think 36 minutes. Dream log is is 2000 kills, 1000 !'s, and 18 minutes. I don't think the requirements change between levels; it's possible some story maps have tighter time requirements, but I don't think I ever noticed any major discrepancies.

There's a couple story levels that are somewhat looser like Thriller Bark since it's a terrible stage, but try to hit the reqs anyways since you don't want to replay Thriller Bark.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Allarion posted:

There's a couple story levels that are somewhat looser like Thriller Bark since it's a terrible stage, but try to hit the reqs anyways since you don't want to replay Thriller Bark.

Yup, worst stage for the worst arc. I remember being surprised I got an S after it took me nearly 30 minutes but I guess that's normal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

We're probably going to see Dynasty Warriors 9 announced next year.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/big-dynasty-warriors-announcement-due-2016

Selane
May 19, 2006

Policenaut posted:

We're probably going to see Dynasty Warriors 9 announced next year.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/big-dynasty-warriors-announcement-due-2016

Man, I can't even look at that image without wanting to punch Xiaoqiao in the face.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Come onnnnn, Warrior Orochi 4

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pureauthor posted:

Come onnnnn, Warrior Orochi 4 PC Port

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Finally got a PS4 and Dragon Quest Heroes. Game feels less like a _-Warriors game and more like a Dragon Quest game with _-Warriors combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've been playing WO3 and it's really stupid, but also really fun. Can anyone recommend characters for gauntlet mode? It seems really tough, I'm assuming I'm supposed to finish up the story mode and level up some beforehand.

I've been playing EDF and WO3 while sitting on a backlog of AAA games. WTF is wrong with me?