Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am going to sacrifice Pearl Fey to bring Ema Skye back to Phoenix Wright :twisted:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

fronz posted:

I hope we never see Pearl again.

I don't like how after eight years pearl still looks and acts the same. I saw character designs of her with longer hair (like she stated in JFA she wanted to have when she was older) that they cut and I'm like why

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ended up getting the Trilogy and was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of the Japanese versions. Also, is the first game longer than the others? 1-3 felt like it took forever.

With homebrew/region-free hack working on N3DS, I'm tempted to import Daigyakuten Saiban. Has anyone played it and how is it?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it is but 1-3 is the worst about it. The last case is long but justifies its length; 1-3 is at least a day too long

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

I don't like how after eight years pearl still looks and acts the same. I saw character designs of her with longer hair (like she stated in JFA she wanted to have when she was older) that they cut and I'm like why

i don't really like her haircut as a grown up. it looks weird when she isn't 6 years old or something like that

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

shrike82 posted:

With homebrew/region-free hack working on N3DS, I'm tempted to import Daigyakuten Saiban. Has anyone played it and how is it?

I enjoyed it a lot. The one major complaint is that it's an incomplete game - the most important ongoing plot points are unresolved and the game ends basically going "to be continued".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Quest For Glory II posted:

also the director that speaks entirely in l33tspeak

Doesn't he cut that out after Edgeworth starts glaring at him?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like that on a replay 1-1 lasts maybe 15 minutes in the game world. "The court is now in session for the trial of Larry Butz. Well, nevermind."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sure, when Phoenix ends a trial in like 15 minutes, it's "amazing" and he's a "prodigy." But when von Karma wants to end a trial in 5 minutes, it's "this is awful" and "we've gotta stop him."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Those were the quickest five minutes ever to be fair.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
In an alternate universe you could pretty easily have Frank Sahwit be a Phoenix Wright defendant: completely obviously guilty until you look carefully

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You know what they say: When something smells...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think my favorite bit of legal bs in the series in Phoenix still having to defend someone despite having amnesia in 2-1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Sure, when Phoenix ends a trial in like 15 minutes, it's "amazing" and he's a "prodigy." But when von Karma wants to end a trial in 5 minutes, it's "this is awful" and "we've gotta stop him."

Someone needs to stop Manfred von Karma. Have you seen the guy? He dresses like Dracula. Unironically!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't remind me that Christopher Lee is dead so I can't cast him as von Karma in my mental Ace Attorney movie.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think Christopher Walken should play von Karma.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, Klaus Kinski would be a good choice, but he's actually much more evil than Manfred.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
von Karma is German, so you'd need a germanic actor...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

fronz posted:

Actually, Klaus Kinski would be a good choice, but he's actually much more evil than Manfred.

Now you're making me imagine Werner Herzog as Manfred.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

really enjoyed DD but playing the Trilogy highlights how much better the plot lines were in the original games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm replaying DD to get PUMPED, and boy are there a lot of typos in that game.

Also, I figured out yet another reason I'm not very fond of Apollo: he kinda looks like a rejected concept art for Phoenix. That sure didn't help him feel like his own man in AA4. That's why the anime supervillain look he rocks for half this game is so great.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Edgeworth is such a fun prosecutor to go up against. Still my favorite. I want him back.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

fronz posted:

Edgeworth is such a fun prosecutor to go up against. Still my favorite. I want him back.

We did get him back in DD though.

Granted, it was for the first part of the last trial, but it owned.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
It's disappointing that he's too important for trial work now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna see what Franziska's been up to. Has she still been with that nice Andrews girl?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I wanna see what Franziska's been up to. Has she still been with that nice Andrews girl?

She's hanging with her and Gumshoe in the unemployment line until they're put in a future game.

I wish them all the best.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is it just the Japanese version or is AA1 a lot more serious in tone than DD?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

shrike82 posted:

It's way more grounded at the very least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Of course it is. It's the establishing game rife with a lot of drama between Phoenix and Edgeworth, Mia's death, the downfall of the Fey clan, Manfred von Karma being Manfred von Karma, etc.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Man, I heard mostly bad things about Apollo Justice, but the very first case is amazing - is it just because Phoenix is no longer the protagonist? He's far more competent and frankly awesome as an NPC, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unfortunately the first case of AJ is the best one by far.

I don't hate AJ but it's still my least favorite overall.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Szurumbur posted:

Man, I heard mostly bad things about Apollo Justice, but the very first case is amazing - is it just because Phoenix is no longer the protagonist? He's far more competent and frankly awesome as an NPC, though.

Congratulations, you just finished the best case in the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The last case has its moments too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kristoph's breakdown is legitimately one of the best in the series.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Unfortunately the first case of AJ is the best one by far.

I don't hate AJ but it's still my least favorite overall.

Plom Bar posted:

Congratulations, you just finished the best case in the game.

Oh, that's a pity. Oh well.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty much the aforementioned moment.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That was mentioned in DD, but Phoenix was there as a symbol of hope and reform. Until he was caught with forged evidence

Honestly, I can kind of see what they were going for. Once that happens, it undoes all the work he did and then some as far as the public is concerned. From there you just need one more prosecutor murder and everyone just gives up on the system.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

fronz posted:

The last case has its moments too.

The last case of AJ is awful. Or at least the last day is outside of the breakdown. Cases 1 and 2 are the only ones i'd say are good.

Best first case though. Even over T&T.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I enjoyed the last case as well, had some pretty solid moments and (spoiler for the dude that just started it) presenting the fake evidence as Nick was an extremely gripping moment that's only possible due to videogames, which is something I always adore.

Case 2 just needed more JoJo reference and there should've been another case after 4-3 to improve the pacing and let you use your all your skills before the final case. Still, as it is AA4 just feels fairly weak but still above Justice for All.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
I don't know, I think 4-3 had some decent character moments. It was certainly the best Klavier ever got.

• Locked thread