Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In a weird way I kinda feel Rey being a Skywalker comes off as less dumb if there are other Jedi too. Otherwise the Force just comes off as super nepotistic past the Old Republic era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gorelab posted:

In a weird way I kinda feel Rey being a Skywalker comes off as less dumb if there are other Jedi too. Otherwise the Force just comes off as super nepotistic past the Old Republic era.

They basically did that plotline in the Legend of Korra series so I wouldn't doubt it showing up sooner or later. Probably not until these sets of films are done with though.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If anything, Ren is going to be used as a pawn. I hope Snoke has an actual sith in training and Ren is just his lovely proxy to draw attention. It'd be cool if the real pupil was Ren's Nazi buddy.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Finn can become a Jedi & him and poe can gently caress

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I dont know what i want more, a biracial conventional relationship in ep8/9 of star wars, or a biracial gay as hell relationship in ep8/ep9. Can we have both?!?!

edit: I mean come on

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 29, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jerkface posted:

I dont know what i want more, a biracial conventional relationship in ep8/9 of star wars, or a biracial gay as hell relationship in ep8/ep9. Can we have both?!?!

I wouldn't get my hopes up

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Nothing wrong with an OT3.

I don't really want Rey to be a Skywalker either. I just don't want any of the characters I love to have been such deadbeats as to abandon their kid to that life :(.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jerkface posted:

Multi- racial poly relationship between Rey/Finn/Poe/Bb-8/Millenium Falcon

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jerkface posted:

edit: I mean come on

I was getting that vibe as well. A bromance for the ages.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

If neither Poe nor the actor is gay, I have no loving clue what happened in that scene.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Benson Cunningham posted:

If neither Poe nor the actor is gay, I have no loving clue what happened in that scene.

Poe is thanking Finn for finding and returning BB-8 to him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Effectronica posted:

It's from Lucas in 1977. Some people are more naturally gifted, but anyone can learn how to do it if they are willing.

The funny thing is that the prequels actually made this explicit by explaining that all life forms possess midi-chlorians. Whereas if you went by the originals, all you'd know is that the Force runs strong in Luke's family. Meanwhile, everyone else is puttering around not using their easily-obtained superpowers for some reason, even though literally all it takes is some old dude telling you the Force exists and whispering fortune-cookie platitudes into your ear over the course of a day and a half.

Before the PT, I always assumed it was a matter of people being either Force-sensitive or non-Force-sensitive, full-stop. The PT made it clear that Force-sensitivity is universal, but exists on a spectrum, just like any other skill or trait.

Going by the implications of what we're actually shown and told, the OT's conception of the Force is actually more elitist and genetically deterministic than the PT's.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 29, 2015

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Poe is thanking Finn for finding and returning BB-8 to him.

Do you lip bite like that when you thank your friends? You might be sending some mixed messages.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Do you lip bite like that when you thank your friends? You might be sending some mixed messages.
drat I am gonna start doing that

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zeris posted:

drat I am gonna start doing that

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

The funny thing is that the prequels actually made this explicit by explaining that all life forms possess midi-chlorians. Whereas if you went by the originals, all you'd know is that the Force runs strong in Luke's family. Meanwhile, everyone else is puttering around not using their easily-obtained superpowers for some reason, even though literally all it takes is some old dude telling you the Force exists and whispering fortune-cookie platitudes into your ear over the course of a day and a half.

Before the PT, I always assumed it was a matter of people being either Force-sensitive or non-Force-sensitive, full-stop. The PT made it clear that Force-sensitivity is universal, but exists on a spectrum, just like any other skill or trait.

Going by the implications of what we're actually shown and told, the OT's conception of the Force is actually more elitist and genetically deterministic than the PT's.

On the other hand, Yoda puts the qualifications for Jedi training on the trainee's personality, and, hell, it's still a universal thing that surrounds and penetrates everyone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought it was pretty obvious Poe like liked Finn. Like seriously who bites their lip like that and not give off " I wanna gently caress you vibes".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I rewatched episode 3 with rifftrax the other day and there's seriously three scenes back to back of people talking in a spaceport, an office and a conference room.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Um, if Poe isn't gay for Finn, then how do you explain all the DREAMS I've been having? Checkmate Gay Jedis

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I'm totally cool with Poe Dameron, intergalactic gay space warrior

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Finn obviously feels extend guilt for having been part off the order and as much as he wants to run he's desperate to be a hero.

When he sees Rey who he doesn't know at all he runs to try and help her as far as he can before seeing he's not needed, and then when escaping Tie fighters his first instinct is to hold her hand and be a protector.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Effectronica posted:

On the other hand, Yoda puts the qualifications for Jedi training on the trainee's personality, and, hell, it's still a universal thing that surrounds and penetrates everyone.

Well, yes, Yoda wanted to disqualify Luke anyway because he was too emotional. Having a a baseline level of natural talent for the Force is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition qualifying you for training as a Jedi. If you're a whiny prick, it doesn't matter how many midi-chlorians you have. In that case, Yoda would rather teach someone who was less inherently skilled, but more even-tempered than Luke. It might take years to teach that person even the bare basics of Force use, but at least they'd be less likely to flip out and turn into a Sith Lord.

What's cool about The Clone Wars is the very first episode features Yoda giving a squad of clone troopers lessons in the Force. He doesn't teach them how to unlock hidden superpowers, because that's beyond their capabilities; but he inspires them to see themselves as individuals each with a unique presence in the Force. This opens them up to acknowledging for the first time the special talents that make each of them stand out from the other clones in the group, which gives them the push they need to defeat an entire army of droids despite being impossibly outnumbered.

The lesson of the episode is essentially, "STOP FOCUSING SO MUCH ON THE GODDAMN SUPERPOWERS, EVERYONE. THEY AREN'T THE POINT." Really, though. It's like people reading Harry Potter and not understanding that, in real life, it's a lack of imagination that makes you a Muggle, not a lack of magical blood. Because magical blood doesn't actually exist.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerkface posted:

Finn can become a Jedi & him and poe can gently caress up the knights of ren while Rey takes down the boss man

Finn riding into battle atop Poe's X-Wing, lightsaber blazing, ready to rain death upon the unBrolievers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Finn riding into battle atop Poe's X-Wing, lightsaber blazing, ready to rain death upon the unBrolievers.

"I'm in charge now I'm in charge now I'M IN CHARGE!!!"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, yes, Yoda wanted to disqualify Luke anyway because he was too emotional. Having a a baseline level of natural talent for the Force is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition qualifying you for training as a Jedi. If you're a whiny prick, it doesn't matter how many midi-chlorians you have. In that case, Yoda would rather teach someone who was less inherently skilled, but more even-tempered than Luke. It might take years to teach that person even the bare basics of Force use, but at least they'd be less likely to flip out and turn into a Sith Lord.

What's cool about The Clone Wars is the very first episode features Yoda giving a squad of clone troopers lessons in the Force. He doesn't teach them how to unlock hidden superpowers, because that's beyond their capabilities; but he inspires them to see themselves as individuals each with a unique presence in the Force. This opens them up to acknowledging for the first time the special talents that make each of them stand out from the other clones in the group, which gives them the push they need to defeat an entire army of droids despite being impossibly outnumbered.

The lesson of the episode is essentially, "STOP FOCUSING SO MUCH ON THE GODDAMN SUPERPOWERS, EVERYONE. THEY AREN'T THE POINT." Really, though. It's like people reading Harry Potter and not understanding that, in real life, it's a lack of imagination that makes you a Muggle, not a lack of magical blood. Because magical blood doesn't actually exist.

Of course, the most important superpower is invisible anyways. The telekinesis and the magical lightning and the teleportation are flashy but secondary to just opening your mind and doing a little kyudo and hitting the thermal exhaust port/throwing away your sword.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Finn can become a Jedi & him and poe can gently caress

I hope they save that for Ep 9, but I won't be offended if it happens sooner.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It is happening in fanfic forums across the internet right now my friend

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Poe will "unlock" Finn's latent Force potential.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Acaila posted:

I don't really want Rey to be a Skywalker either.

Well, there's the love story nobody is talking about! Rey and Luke hook up.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Since Phantasm "died" off-screen and is more or less this trilogy's stand-in for Boba Fett, are we in agreement that she's coming back in a sequel? I don't know how she made it off the Bigger Death Star Starkiller, but I figure Disney wants to keep Phantasm merchandise relevant for more than a year. Or, maybe she's too much like Boba Fett.

I think there was a really short scene of Chewie holding her cloak and Han giving a surprised look? I don't know what that was supposed to mean.

please come back :(

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 29, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FutonForensic posted:

Since Phantasm "died" off-screen and is more or less this trilogy's stand-in for Boba Fett, are we in agreement that she's coming back in a sequel? I don't know how she made it off the Bigger Death Star Starkiller, but I figure Disney wants to keep Phantasm merchandise relevant for more than a year. Or, maybe she's too much like Boba Fett.

I think there was a really short scene of Chewie holding her cloak and Han giving a surprised look? I don't know what that was supposed to mean.

please come back :(

It's been confirmed that Phasma will be back for VIII and she will have a much larger role.

Maybe she will serve as the main villain of VIII while Kylo is training with Snoke.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FutonForensic posted:

The fan fiction for this movie is already going to be the greatest ever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm looking forward to the prequel, We Need to Talk About Kylo.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's been confirmed that Phasma will be back for VIII and she will have a much larger role.

Maybe she will serve as the main villain of VIII while Kylo is training with Snoke.

captain phasma is luke's ex, rey's mom

and mara jade :shittypop:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I thought the coat was just JJ Abrams trying to make it clear that THIS IS NOT A CONTINUITY ERROR when Han kept going in and outside of the cold with his parka.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought the coat was just JJ Abrams trying to make it clear that THIS IS NOT A CONTINUITY ERROR when Han kept going in and outside of the cold with his parka.

This

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't have any observation beyond this, but jackets/cloaks are kind of A Thing in this movie, like hats in Miller's Crossing or something.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't have any observation beyond this, but jackets/cloaks are kind of A Thing in this movie, like hats in Miller's Crossing or something.

A very interesting point, especially since Act 1 literally takes place on the planet Jacket.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frackie Robinson posted:

Maybe add masks/helmets too, with Finn taking off his helmet paralleled with Rey and her scavenger getup immediately afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FutonForensic posted:

That was his winter coat that he took off when they entered the base.

• Locked thread