Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

Razzled posted:

Is the Banshee still secret tech? I find it interesting that it's a lot cheaper than the Stormcrow

its kinda underused, i hard ever see them in T2/T1 solo queue. what sites are there for good builds other than rak's and mechspecs?

edit: banshee is also really underquirked compared to some other IS assaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Wolfhound or Panther? Looking to get another light mech and can't choose between the 2.

I have Ravens, an Arctic Cheetah and 2 Firestarters already. I am a scrub tier 4 pubbie so mastering the Cheetah and Firestarter isn't all that much of a priority. I just like getting shiny new mechs.

Alternatively, I do love my Hunchbacks and was considering an Enforcer.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
wolfhound is probably the better of the 2 except for the one with AMS quirks. enforcers are really good now, too.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

As far as stupid builds go, this resulted from eliting other mechs in the spider line.

What do you get with twelve jump jets, a beagle and a sensor range module?

You get the amazing spider man, that's what.

Detect range is about 1km. Its basically a UAV on demand. Plus, you know, trouble landing. Sometimes.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I have been getting super (un)lucky with MC stocking draws, and bought the hero jenner. I'm looking at fitting the biggest XL engine, 2xSRM6 and 2xSRM4s. Is this as hilariously bad/awesome as I think it is?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
So while the sale is still ongoing, I've made a funny boar's head atlas that brawls and moves like a heavy, and has poking power for long skirmishes. When I don't get utterly focused down I've been hitting 4+ kills and 800+ damage regularly. In the games I get focused down it's generally one kill and 500+ damage.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=103&l=fddee2bf0fdee1569c1c8c386f4c029ed471289c

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

FARTSTAR posted:

wolfhound is probably the better of the 2 except for the one with AMS quirks. enforcers are really good now, too.

Sounds good to me. Any suggested builds? Think I'll grab the WLF-2

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
An Atlas -DC ghost dad is always a good robbit to keep in your stable. ECM, AC20, 3x SRMS6+A, Endo and a standard 350 engine. Like, you could put medium lasers in the arms, but they're just extra heat. Sometimes it'll be you leading the push, remember to keep twisting your torso so you're absorbing hits with your arms when you are not blasting fools in the face.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 29, 2015

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I wish the IS had an energy weapon that fell between the large laser and medium laser in terms of range and weight. The large is by no means a long range weapon but its a serviceable poking weapon until you can close the gap but that 5 ton weight really limits your options. On the other hand the medium lasers is insanely efficient for weight but that 270m range is laughable. Almost all of my non-assault builds have this weird deadzone past 270m to ~400m where it's easy for enemies to shoot me, but I don't feel like I can put out any kind of efficient damage back. I guess its just a disadvantage of playing IS but man it really annoys me.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AtillatheBum posted:

I wish the IS had an energy weapon that fell between the large laser and medium laser in terms of range and weight. The large is by no means a long range weapon but its a serviceable poking weapon until you can close the gap but that 5 ton weight really limits your options. On the other hand the medium lasers is insanely efficient for weight but that 270m range is laughable. Almost all of my non-assault builds have this weird deadzone past 270m to ~400m where it's easy for enemies to shoot me, but I don't feel like I can put out any kind of efficient damage back. I guess its just a disadvantage of playing IS but man it really annoys me.

Find a mech with some sort of energy range quirk boost, slap on a range boost module and you'll be able to trade with whomever you like.

Except people boating AC/5s who can aim from extreme range.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Takkaryx posted:

I have been getting super (un)lucky with MC stocking draws, and bought the hero jenner. I'm looking at fitting the biggest XL engine, 2xSRM6 and 2xSRM4s. Is this as hilariously bad/awesome as I think it is?

You'll probably want to go with four SRM4, as it's hard enough to fit enough ammo to keep the Oxide in the match without spending tonnage to fire more missiles with less accuracy. It's the worst when your spree has to end because you killed too hard and got exhausted.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Damned clanners with all their long ranged gizmos :argh:, well you gotta roll with the energy range quirks if you want medium lasers to get that bit of range. Or run something like 2-3 LLs then fit rest of hardpoints with SLs/SPLs for better heat management in brawling range, while using LLs to burn any free heat you've got.

Kinda wished there was a 2m infinite use consumable variant of arty/coolant/uav, even if you could only fit it on one mech.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Takkaryx posted:

Maybe swap for 4x SRM4 with Artemis. And make sure you don't shoot anything that isn't already engaged, Jenners pop a little easy these days.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

AtillatheBum posted:

Do you have any mechs with laser range quirks?

ER larges are decent, and there's a double-erlarge raven build thats half decent.

You can also stack a medium laser range module with a range quirked mech for some midrange options.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

An Atlas -DC ghost dad is always a good robbit to keep in your stable. ECM, AC20, 3x SRMS6+A, Endo and a standard 350 engine. Like, you could put medium lasers in the arms, but they're just extra heat. Sometimes it'll be you leading the push, remember to keep twisting your torso so you're absorbing hits with your arms when you are not blasting fools in the face.

GOSPEL

content: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218319-get-your-own-locks/

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 29, 2015

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Is the metamechs build for the Splatcat any good? I'm not sure how well the XL engine would go over with how huge and squishy the Cat is. Are there any builds preferred by goons?

Metamechs SplatCat

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Arguing LRMs is comparable to a political debate: Minds are made up and best case scenario is "Yeah I know I'm wrong but I like my way better so LOLogic"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Takkaryx posted:

I've done the same thing and I was running mine with an XL300, beagle and 4 StreakSRM/2; surprisingly effective at murdering other lights, you can easily get into a bodyguard role for assaults, deny back-caps and so on. I'm finding the lack of JJ a bit troublesome though and Radar deprivation is a bitch, especially on maps like River City where it's really easy to break LOS for an instant.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 29, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorenus posted:

Arguing LRMs is comparable to a political debate: Minds are made up and best case scenario is "Yeah I know I'm wrong but I like my way better so LOLogic"

Yeah. Pretty much all their problems would go away if they tried that magical solution known as "playing with a team that isn't 100% random pugs".

Of course they're pretty much insufferable and completely toxic personalities so that isn't going to happen.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

how does the C-Autocannon 2/5/10/20 work for damage? it fires 3 shots but do they do 2/5/10/20 damage each?

Nope, you do the rated damage over each burst so if the AC 20 fires four rounds per burst each one does 5.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
re: laser range quirks: The Top Dog has a pretty good one, 25% I think. ER larges on it have an optimum range of like 880 meters; it's loving insane. I might load up like 4 of them on it tomorrow for the heck of it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Smurfy's mechlab seems down right now. Getting a 503.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Yeah but gently caress people who put LRMs on Assault Mechs

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

32mb of ram! :pcgaming:

I used to play battletech pods ~15 years ago at the wizards of the coast gaming center. They were awesome. I still have one of my match results somewhere.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If I ever win the lottery, a bunch of Battlepods is still the first thing I'll buy with my millions. :v:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I went with my gut and bought a King Crab. Running the AC5 build from the OP and I couldn't be happier. 500+ damage match out the gate despite dying in the first 5 minutes feels pretty good.

Now to save up 5mil to buy the xl engine. Good thing I've been getting quarter million credits per match :dance:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Those battle pods were shitloads of fun, I still remember playing them at a Dave and Busters in Chicago.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rocketpriest posted:

re: laser range quirks: The Top Dog has a pretty good one, 25% I think. ER larges on it have an optimum range of like 880 meters; it's loving insane. I might load up like 4 of them on it tomorrow for the heck of it.

That might well be the best one.

Everyone overlooks them but the Black Knights (well most of them) have pretty nice energy quirks too.

It's just not as popular because when it was initially released it had an awful centre torso hitbox (incredibly easy to core out) which was later fixed and it also came out before the latest rebalance, thus promptly forgotten about.

That being said the Black Knights are actually pretty tall. You get a bit more armor out of being high enough to face stare an Atlas but that kind of geometry also comes with a lot of inherent drawbacks the Top Dog doesn't have to deal with.
(also the hardpoints are mid torso mounted so the extra height does nothing positive, unlike some of the grasshoppers who can at least ridge peek)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I bought a dire wolf with all the guns

Pewpew it is fun

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
An hour ago, my team was down in Skirmish, 7 to 11, on Viridian Bog. I was using my sniper Shadow Cat. As the last one left, I solo'd my way to 3 kills by playing hit and run and using my mobility and ECM to dodge and core out everyone's CTs.

After getting those 3 kills, the game actually looked winnable! It was 10 to 11... and then an almost fresh Arctic Cheetah blindsided me from the right and jumpjetted up to where I was. I couldn't get away and I didn't have enough frames to kill him because his laser boating was too strong.

I hate the Arctic Cheetah so god damned much.

It was almost an exact repeat of that Raven game the other day.

At least I still ranked up despite the loss, though. I really like that part of PGI's skill rating thing: even if you lose you can still stay steady or go up if you individually did well enough.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 29, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vorenus posted:

I decided to test LRM's to see what the big draw was.

LRM's suck. The only draw is "I can stand way back here and not be shot at"

I blew through something like 4 tons of LRM ammo to get a whopping 250 damage done for the fight. Woo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
LRMs are a new player trap because they make you feel like you're contributing, keep you away from getting hit (super scary!) and appeal to the low-rent Napoleon inside every MWO Dad and Bad.

In the meantime they teach you bad habits and make you blame your team for not holding locks and for dying while you (very tactical and smart with your LRMs) remain untouched. Then when you flail about at the end of the match while five wounded robots laugh at your LRMs and shred you, you can get very mad at your dumb teammates who put you in such a horrible situation

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pattonesque posted:

LRMs are a new player trap because they make you feel like you're contributing, keep you away from getting hit (super scary!) and appeal to the low-rent Napoleon inside every MWO Dad and Bad.

In the meantime they teach you bad habits and make you blame your team for not holding locks and for dying while you (very tactical and smart with your LRMs) remain untouched. Then when you flail about at the end of the match while five wounded robots laugh at your LRMs and shred you, you can get very mad at your dumb teammates who put you in such a horrible situation

qft

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I feel like if they did a little bit better damage or had a tighter spread they could be "Not garbage".

As it stands the only time they even come within spitting distance of "Good" is when some poor fool is out in the open and 2-3 LRM boats are focusing him. And even then the poor fool would die even faster if say those 3 LRM boats were firing large lasers at him.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The best thing about LRMs is the shame you can heap on the boats as you spectate their hilarious badness.

Either that or the joy you feel in an Arctic Cheetah when you slip around and find that lone Catapult with nothing LRMs and proceed to take it apart as it makes a pathetic attempt to flee. You can feel the growing desperation as it realizes help isn't coming. Bonus points for mocking it in All Chat during this process.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

I feel like if they did a little bit better damage or had a tighter spread they could be "Not garbage".

As it stands the only time they even come within spitting distance of "Good" is when some poor fool is out in the open and 2-3 LRM boats are focusing him. And even then the poor fool would die even faster if say those 3 LRM boats were firing large lasers at him.

yeah p. much. there is something to be said for one or two chassis with huge fire rate quirks like the HBK-4J because it kinda makes up for the badness of the weapon with sheer volume, but at best it's only OK

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Today i learned that a 100 ton mech with 95 tons loadout still has 100 tons.
loving poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Today i learned that a 100 ton mech with 95 tons loadout still has 100 tons.
loving poo poo.

what couldn't you fit in those extra five tons?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

what couldn't you fit in those extra five tons?

They probably thought they could underload it to make room for something else on their CW deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

They probably thought they could underload it to make room for something else on their CW deck.

you know that wouldn't be like a terrible idea if that's how it worked

I always thought it'd be cool if your robot got faster the more it got shot up. Like if you lose five tons of armor, that's five tons you're not carrying around anymore

• Locked thread