Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

oddium posted:

mario maker much ??

mario maker is kinda on the lazy side, because it just uses one set of physics despite featuring tile sets from 5 games. That and no real actual single player mode. The 100 stages thing is junk.

Rayman legends is quite possibly the perfect 2D Platformer game. Origins had it's rough spots, but Legends smoothed everything out.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

mario maker is kinda on the lazy side, because it just uses one set of physics despite featuring tile sets from 5 games. That and no real actual single player mode. The 100 stages thing is junk.

The game ships with 40 something stages in 10-Mario mode, plus the online course world has a whole bunch of "official" courses by Nintendo people.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

The game ships with 40 something stages in 10-Mario mode, plus the online course world has a whole bunch of "official" courses by Nintendo people.

It's still not that good.

Maybe because I remember the souless push to beat the NSMB games which this one just felt like another installment of with a level app tacked onto it? Or maybe because I've seen other games that are also centered around a wide open player creation mechanic do their base scenarios better? Sim City 2000

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's still not that good.

Maybe because I remember the souless push to beat the NSMB games which this one just felt like another installment of with a level app tacked onto it? Or maybe because I've seen other games that are also centered around a wide open player creation mechanic do their base scenarios better? Sim City 2000

The Maker part of the game is waaaaay more than a "tacked on Level app"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why are you arguing with taint reaper

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

same question but jivjov

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
don't interfere; you are witnessing one of Nature's Wonders

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Help Im Alive posted:

Why are you arguing with jivjov

What happens when an idiot force meets a dumbass object

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

The Maker part of the game is waaaaay more than a "tacked on Level app"

it's a 60 dollar game, for that price it should have been way more elaborate.

Like the Morrowind creation tools pack came with the game and that was definitely more engaging.

Like why are you only able to do one sort of platforming? It's impossible to do something like a platforming side scroller shooter level to the degree that's needed. Or hell make a stage that plays like Contra or Metal Slug.

You can't really edit the power ups and their effects either and that's some bullshit.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 29, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I actually do think that Mario Maker is bit lacking in options. A lot of the simplest courses from the games it's based on can't even be recreated.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Augus posted:

I actually do think that Mario Maker is bit lacking in options. A lot of the simplest courses from the games it's based on can't even be recreated.

Yeah they really should have taken a page from RPG maker and just allowed people to go to town and edit everything down to the single pixel.

like it would not have been hard to allow people to make their own custom sprites for enemies/blocks. poo poo like that has existed for a long rear end time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i honestly don't know why jivjov openly gets taint reaped all the time. idk how or why it happens.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

More people in this thread get jivjov'd now over taint reaped.

It's the thread's way of staying dead center of the hope/hate line for consoles.

The WiiU is ok. :geno:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Splatoon is the best game, ergo the Wii U is the best console

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

You should see the Collector's version of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

What do you mean? I've "seen" it online but not in stores. That flash drive looks bulky tho

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RIP Lemmy. :(

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
RIP guy that was the original basis for a really cool forum I've been going to for over a decade now

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Makes sense that you'd enjoy the french mario clone

Rayman Legends and Origins were the best Mario games to come out in years until 3D World.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Given Rayman's momentum, it's more of a Sonic game. In fact, Rayman Legends is the best Sonic game ever made.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
more like taint praise right fellas

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Taint Reaper posted:

You should see the Collector's version of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I can. It's on my coffee table right now :smuggo:.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

RIP guy that was the original basis for a really cool forum I've been going to for over a decade now

by god... flashbacks to my childhood. A younger, and more innocent time...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fly with me posted:

Yoshi's Wolly World has no right to be this drat good.

I got it for the wife and didn't think much of it, but watching her play, holy crap, it's an actual game. And it's pretty. And good.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

raditts posted:

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Should I have said that Rayman Legends is what Sonic always should have been? I almost said "what it wanted to be" but I'm pretty sure we got what it wanted to be and it's awful.

My point is: Rayman Legends is a ridiculously good 2D platformer (I liked it more than Tropical Freeze) that everyone should get. You even unlock the entirety of Origins as you play. Here's one of the many reasons it's so good.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sometimes you just gotta admit that you're Mario'd out

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Manky posted:

Boy, considering what Devil's Third is going for online, I'm surprised one can still find launch copies of Rodea for like 25% off MSRP

The price has dropped $50. It will likely go back up once the flood on ebay gets bought up.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I sm thinking about buying freedom planet. Id it good or is it a brust?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cyron posted:

I sm thinking about buying freedom planet. Id it good or is it a brust?
Its good, but don't play the story mode.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

homeless snail posted:

Its good, but don't play the story mode.

Whats Wrong With It? Assuming the inspiration of sonic is it too furry fanfic?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its exactly what you would expect a story written by Sonic fans would be. But they were self aware enough to have a mode that is just gameplay with no story.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Mario and Yoshi are going to have some tough competition.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm not too sure if that's nostalgia speaking or not.

But when I was little, I indeed found it cool.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Who the gently caress is Lenny

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

greatn posted:

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Lenny_Leonard hope this helps

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Lemmy Kilmister, the frontman for Motorhead, died today.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lemmy Kilmister, the frontman for Motorhead, died today.

And it's only being mentioned here because Lemmy Koopa was named after him. All of the Koopalings are named after musicians, mostly rock musicians. Larry Koopa is named after Larry Mullen, Jr. (drummer for U2,) Morton Koopa after Morton Downey, Jr. (country musician,) Wendy O. Koopa after Wendy O. Williams (various punk/rock bands,) Iggy Koopa after Iggy Pop (The Stooges,) Roy "The Boy" Koopa after Roy Orbison (rockabilly dude, invented the pompadour,) Ludwig von Koopa after Ludwig von Beethoven (lead singer for My Chemical Romance,) and Lemmy Koopa after Lemmy KIlmister of Motörhead.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

enojy posted:

Morton Koopa after Morton Downey, Jr. (country musician,)

That guy was a musician? I only ever knew him from his lovely '80s talk show.

What was the "really cool forum" that Lemmy was the basis for?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The lemmy koopa discussion subforum on mariowiki.com

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

raditts posted:

Nothing of importance.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

I only know him from rowdy piper spraying him with a fire extinguisher at WrestleMania 5. sadly outside of ace of spades the only other mortorhead song I know of is the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I actually agree with Taint Reaper on Mario Maker. I want to like it way more then I do. The gimmick of it got tired pretty quick and I found myself just wanting a proper Mario platformer instead. Splatoon is great though.

• Locked thread