Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

rogue101 ? and perhaps yasd

Any thoughts? Valid responses include "this is a stupid idea don't do it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

it's a rogue analogy

i like the yasd ghost but we should get something new & fresh imo

e: nvm, dead

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 28, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I vote #6 with blood spatter added to him :neckbeard:

So I think Necrodancer is a great game, and recommend it to anyone who I think might appreciate it.

... but I don't enjoy playing it too often, and I think I figured out why. It's too slow :v:

I'm a speed fiend when it comes to most roguelikes, and being constrained by the (rad) beats starts to drive me crazy after a few deaths.

In conclusion, 60fps is the most important roguelike attribute.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

So I think Necrodancer is a great game, and recommend it to anyone who I think might appreciate it.

... but I don't enjoy playing it too often, and I think I figured out why. It's too slow :v:

Unlock Bolt, play at double speed for the rest of time. Or unlock Coda, and die over and over and over again.

Or play as the Bard, though that kind of sidesteps what makes Necrodancer special.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Bolt is a loving shitshow and if you find Necrodancer's normal gameplay too slow, playing Bolt in Zone 3 will definitely give you the facemelting excitement you crave.

Also Caves of Qud totally has music :colbert: it's only in the Mechanimist temple at the centre of the Six Day Stilt, but there is in fact a music track currently implemented in the game!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

victrix posted:

I'm a speed fiend when it comes to most roguelikes, and being constrained by the (rad) beats starts to drive me crazy after a few deaths.
Or you could just dance crush monsters to faster music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWN3XLjn7Aw

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont use custom music in necrodancer because the shopkeeper doesnt sing with it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

owns. I like #6 as well

Zombie Samurai posted:

Awww :3:

I posted this everywhere too, but if you guys like my reviews... I've written so many at this point that it's getting hard to find them in Steam's garbage review interface. So, I've set up a curation page so they're easier to find. If you like my reviews here, this'll be a better way to skim through them for the stuff you're interested in. I'm up to 78 so far!
Your reviews are awesome, and I'm glad I have this easy way to see all of them quickly. Nice work.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Not so sure on :rogue101:, but :yasd: owns. Although I'm not sure if ghost-:yasd: or something more like :darksouls: would be in order.

Unimpressed posted:

Your wife AND your girlfriend? Are you really a goon?

Excellent username/post combo.

And between the toddler being :catdrugs: and the rest of us having the horrible christmas plague, none of us are going outside or having sex anyways. So I'm still a goon in spirit. :v:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dungeonmans is pretty sick, but the lack of an autoexplore is bumming me out :(

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Flamebreak is a helluva game. I can get to the underworld reliably (on the same loadout of Human/Musket/the amp damage shockwave/windwalk, but I cannot kill enough of those loving undead every fight to win.

I'm starting to see why some people hoard shitloads of warp stones just to spyglass through the final level and then warp from non-combat to non-combat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It is a really good game and I'm glad I grabbed it last week. Based on the leaderboard challenges not a lot of people playing it though.

I've only made it to the Underworld twice and seriously fuuuuuck I can't handle those undeads. I died to the boss in my best run.

I find that if I manage to grab the healer god, I'm completely set, but I haven't really had a lot of luck with the other guys.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fadam posted:

The levels are generally small enough that you can zip through them pretty quick, and <> quick travel to the up/down stairs, so its fast to go through previously cleared turf.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

fadam posted:

The picky autorest is what ends up annoying me.

Also, :yasd: is already :rip:

I like the sixth one, but maybe have something pop in and murder it, like dragon breath or something :vd:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Any good roguelikes on the Steam sale under $3? I have some card money to burn and nothing really grabbing me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wtf, Flamebreak looks rad, how was this never brought up here before?

(of if it was, how did I miss it)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/399640/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

(of if it was, how did I miss it)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/399640/

It fell through the cracks in the glut of roguelike indie games (but I did bring it up last week).

If I had found it a week earlier it might have made my top 10 list, it definitely would have made my honorable mentions. It'll be highlighted in the next OP (along with a hundred other BoI clones, though this one is better than most). I loooove the intro and story breaks, even if they're one and done because of the nature of the genre.

e: on the note of the RL list, sorry for the delay, christmas stuff and whatever. I'll post the rest of the list this week. If I need to I may cut back on the linking and such for posting the list, and only do that stuff when I actually post the next thread.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

victrix posted:

jordan mentioned it and then like three or four of us bought it and chimed in that it was good

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

victrix posted:

The levels are generally small enough that you can zip through them pretty quick, and <> quick travel to the up/down stairs, so its fast to go through previously cleared turf.

Yeah I've seen this response a few times, but I agree with the original, lack of auto explore is annoying, especially with the nooks and crannies in some of the levels.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I had a pretty fun run in Flamebreak that ended painfully at the Proctus boss fight. I was the teleporting fairy with the fireball spell (as well as a lovely level 1 blizzard). I had a ton of spell damage items as well as the elixir that doubles spell damage in exchange for longer cooldowns, so my fireball could pretty much oneshot everything even with the lower-damage secondary AOE.

But that was apprently the worst--possible build to have for Proctus's gimmick. He periodically summons a trio of those shield-charging minions which are invincible except when they attack, and Proctus himself is invincible any time his minions are alive. My super-powered fireball could oneshot the minions, but the cooldown was long enough that he would resummon them before I could kill all three. Even if they grouped up for the fireball, I couldn't kill them unless they all attacked at the same time.

The one time I actually managed to kill all three and fireball the boss before he resummoned them and became invincible again, I did about 1/3 of his HP in damage. But I didn't get the chance to hit him again before I died.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 29, 2015

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Woo, a -51ish win streak in Flamebreak broken by a Spear-wielding Giant with Venomous Strike and Shockwave.

I did reroll a bunch after realizing that Venomous Strike is such a crazy strong skill with just attack speed + any damage amp, but still, woooo.

Glad to be done with Necrus, I hate all the undead/restless dead fights, but that was a really fun run.

Also got super lucky with early damage so by world 2 or 3 I earned my first Merciless Defense by being able to one every small goblin, unlocking Orcs :black101: (even luckier later, that damage completed both Desolator and Skullcrusher).

Still, with the exception of that merciless defense, I never felt incredibly far above the power curve, and ended lots of fights (including Necrus) with a single hit remaining.

Reeeal glad that Custom Mode gets unlocked at level 10 now, cause that looks fun and like an easy way to unlock more stuff through spirit levels, assuming it gives me exp.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So I get that Sil is basically nothing like Angband (mostly because I could never stand *bands until I tried Sil and now I'm hooked on it) but now I'm on an alarmingly good run (helped very much by the free Christmas artifact being Orcrist, I suspect) and I realise how damned little I know about this game, despite uPen's excellent (if incomplete) LP. :ohdear:

I went with my gut and rolled a Noldor focusing melee/evasion/will, which is going relatively well and has lasted me until 350' but I'm mainly wondering:

a) Is spending on enough Perception to get Lore-Master and auto-ID everything basically mandatory, or is there some relatively common source of item ID besides drinking/eating/wearing everything like a chump? I already got Lore-Keeper because I've played enough Nethack and ADOM to be paranoid about cursed items so at least it would only be 3000ish XP more to spend, but yikes.
b) Is there any sort of guideline as to what resistances/items/consumables you should have access to before you pass a certain depth? I remember there being something like that for Angband (but of course Angband seemed to want you to above a certain depth until the RNG saw fit to be kind.)
c) Is item destruction really common/are artifacts indestructible? I'm running up against my inventory slot limit and (due to lack of ID) have no idea what to throw away but spare weapons are really high on that list.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 29, 2015

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Getting good at Sil involves dying a lot in the 400-600' range, as there's so many new and exciting ways to die!

a) the lore-master pickup is common for newer players very intentionally, it's what it's there for. The opportunity cost is that it prices you out of other cool perception skills. It's been ages since I've played but 350' seems a smidge early to get popping up to loremaster. Don't skimp on Meele/evasion ever!
b)Resistances are totally a mixed bag and completely optional depending on playstyle/build. That being said having a good light source for 400-600 is kinda mandatory for meele, so either forge one or keep xp handy to emergency-buy the associated skills
c)Item destruction is is common early with brown acid traps, later on it's not as issue as all the really good stuff will be artifact (and hence immune).

Keep/throw: Keep a backup weapon that can kill something that your main is bad against. IE battleaxe if you use swords, or magically-enchanted foo for enemies you hate. Eat&Quaff IDing is viable with practice (I won't spoil, game's designed to be fun to figure out for self) if you aren't going lore-master. Note that loremaster refunds 100xp per ID'd item, so it's possible to xp dump into it and get almost the same amount out instantly.

Personal protip: I skip 250' entirely, as it's the natural depth of orc archers and violet molds, aka the most annoying enemies in the game. And I'm sorry about your impending loss of Orcrist.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

:words: Opinion piece time! Are you making a roguelike? Then

:siren: gently caress Automatic Item Degradation As A Concept :siren:

I hate it, and you should hate it too.

:eng101: If your game is about gritty grim real-mans-in-the-wild survival fine, screw you, you get a pass. You can have item degradation. But for everyone else:

1) Item Degradation already exists: the monsters get harder. By simply playing the game and advancing into the content, the effectiveness of your gear is automatically reduced. Your sword can no longer kill in one hit, or two, or five, that copper plate might have held off Chumplings but it crinkles like wrapping paper when pounced on by Hippowraths, so your unless you continually improve your gear anyway, you're going to die and lose. This just happens standard, free with your purchase.

2) Success in your game becomes even more RNG dependent. It's one thing to lose because you couldn't find the right gear (though that really is a whole separate bitch thread for me) but it's another thing to lose because you only found one or two copies of the right gear, but they fell apart because you had the audacity to use them. Falling back down the gear curve is a big obstacle to overcome, and not nearly as fun as you think.

3) It creates a busywork step for players who want to play "optimally". Remember that those people are your core audience! To be the very best, they have to switch in and out of an additional gear set-- not just for resists, but because they only want to put on their good gear when they're facing the toughest monsters, and wear the crappy gear for everything else. They've got to keep track of another set of secondary items, on top of special weapons for special foes, and special armor for element resists.

4) It encourages Death Spiral / Dead Man Walking behaviors and dampens last minute heroics. Just like starvation, item degradation creates a system where once you start losing, you start losing even harder, and when you're in the most desperate situation you have the least ability to do something about it. It can also create situations where players have already lost but just don't realize it yet, because they're doomed mechanically to have their only valuable armors rot off their bodies before they can get to safety.

5) It makes your Big Deal items, including consumables, feel less special. If everything good in the game is meant to be used sparingly, your Really Sharp Sword is on the same tier as your Wand of Laserpew because you can only use both of them so often and you only want to use them against important enemies. Perversely, instead of making the sword feel more special, it makes the wand feel less special, since everything in your game is effectively tied to a use/ammo count now.

6) It punishes curiosity and experimental play styles. In a lot of Diablo type games you have a metastyle where players play in one fashion until they reach a certain gear level, and then play in a different fashion entirely when stats and modifiers make certain combat abilities feasible. If gear constantly and permanently rots (and it doesn't in Diablo, repair costs are trivial) then that play style is no longer a reward to be enjoyed or a variant to try, but rather it becomes a piece of fine china, only to be pulled out on holidays when you've got the family over and you don't want to slice up your ham on any old plate. If using a piece of gear at the wrong time is now a damaging play, players can't afford to mess around with new concepts using cool loot they found that inspires them to think a little differently about their class.

That's all I got. This is an opinion piece, I'm not going to argue too hard about it, but there you go.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

madjackmcmad posted:

That's all I got. This is an opinion piece, I'm not going to argue too hard about it, but there you go.

You just convinced me to buy Dungeonmans. Post more of these, please.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I honestly can't think of a game I've played recently that actually did that poo poo besides some terrible survivormans crap that got shelved in short order.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

:siren: gently caress Automatic Item Degradation As A Concept :siren:

A tale of Chumplings and Hippowraths, and the players who feed them.

This is a quality post, and it reflects my views on consumables in general.

This attitude is also shown in dungeonmans, complete with wonderful names.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

6 is shiny to me too!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yasd man should be standing on a trapdoor with a cockatrice ij one hand and a pick breaking into some lava in the other

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

Getting good at Sil involves dying a lot in the 400-600' range, as there's so many new and exciting ways to die!

(some awesome tips here!)

And I'm sorry about your impending loss of Orcrist.

Thanks for the advice and no worries, roguelike characters and all their cool stuff are lost the moment you roll them, what matters is what you learn.

In this case, what I learned is that Flanking-Dodging-Finesse-Subtlety is a hilarious melee build and I should do it again, but that 15 evasion is not enough to avoid Uldor the Accursed's arrows at 450', ouch.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I picked up Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon game the other day, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Looplets and Emeras are an awesome mechanic, and I'm glad they fixed most of Gates to Infinity (and Etrian Mystery Dungeon)'s problems. It's really nice being able to pick up a game from one of my favorite (side-)series and getting that "hooked" feeling while playing it again.

Though it's sorta making me wish I was just playing Explorers of Sky with all the pokemon and looplets. I miss being able to just recruit whatever.

Maybe I'll go make my own game with all the features I want. I kinda wanted to try my hand at an MD clone at least, since their mechanics are fairly simple, as a way to get into developing roguelikes.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I honestly can't think of a game I've played recently that actually did that poo poo besides some terrible survivormans crap that got shelved in short order.

Earlier in the thread we were talking about SotS The Pit and it got my hankles rankled, but that was like three days ago. I'd been meaning to write this since.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Post poste posted:

This is a quality post, and it reflects my views on consumables in general.

This attitude is also shown in dungeonmans, complete with wonderful names.

Seriously if Dungeonmans had no consumables I think it would be close to perfect as a low-friction roguelike to play.

I would grudgingly accept a superduper interface to use all the consumables in the game cleanly and easily :colbert:

(I've ranted at great, great length about consumables in this thread in the past, I'll shut up again)

madjackmcmad posted:

Earlier in the thread we were talking about SotS The Pit and it got my hankles rankled, but that was like three days ago. I'd been meaning to write this since.

Oooh are we doing developer liveblogging again?! My favorite part of the thread next to intelligent breakdowns of games people are actually playing.

I've had one bumbling about in my head for a few weeks now about the Illusion Of Choice, and how it makes for a less fun, less interesting game for the player, while occupying a lot of mental space for the developer (and possibly making them think they're being clever at the same time, an even worse trap).

Estel
May 4, 2010

Estel posted:

I want to get Caves of Qud or Dungeonmans but i can't decide. I have gifted Caves of Qud and probably will gift Dungeonmans before the sale is over but i don't know which one to buy for myself.

I think my most played roguelike games are TOME4 and Crawl.

Floodkiller posted:

If those are your most played, I would probably recommend Dungeonmans. Caves of Qud leans closer to being a sandbox adventure game over a fast-paced crawler.

I bought Dungeonmans, probably will get Qud next sale. Thanks :)

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

victrix posted:

Seriously if Dungeonmans had no consumables I think it would be close to perfect as a low-friction roguelike to play.

I would grudgingly accept a superduper interface to use all the consumables in the game cleanly and easily :colbert:

(I've ranted at great, great length about consumables in this thread in the past, I'll shut up again)
I love scrolls and potions, I can't help it! It's why I drink one of those fruit punch rockstars every day, I just want to believe. I've read all the arguments against them, and someone who is cooler and smarter than me can take those cool smart arguments and make a bitchin game that leaves us all agape*, but in the mean time I want scrolls of hopscorch and potions that turn you into a Bigass'd Stompy Golem.

Estel posted:

I bought Dungeonmans, probably will get Qud next sale. Thanks :)
:boom:
Yeah Unormal/HoL, offer that one up to your thrice-spurned dusklords, strung ethereally across a lattice of laquered unmemory on an arch between the humors!**

*it's called Hoplite lol
**CoQ is better, Estel chose poorly

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I've been trying Dungeonmans and my character cannot figure out how to equip a pair of flip flops... or a shirt.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

I've been trying Dungeonmans and my character cannot figure out how to equip a pair of flip flops... or a shirt.

You have to learn TShirt Mastery

(or Light Armor if you want I guess)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Haha, ok. Seems like really really basic items like that at least shouldn't be tied to a skill and should be equippable by anyone. I mean I can understand not being able to figure out how a suit of armor worked or not being able to move around in it properly, but a shirt? :classiclol:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Haha, ok. Seems like really really basic items like that at least shouldn't be tied to a skill and should be equippable by anyone. I mean I can understand not being able to figure out how a suit of armor worked or not being able to move around in it properly, but a shirt? :classiclol:

Everyone in the world that doesn't have the requisite skill just walks around in the nude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Mercury_Storm posted:

People say it goes between the helmet and the belt but damned if I can see how.