Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Toilet Paper is the tragic hero of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hahah, I never caught that on my run through.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello merry christmas thread! I've closed the poll but I wanted to let you know the next video might be monday evening rather than morning, since I've got house guests for christmas and might not be able to record til monday morning. :) Hope ya'll are having a nice holiday!!

edit: also congrats on picking belgian waffle, the superior breakfast choice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I didn't vote, but look at my name and wonder what breakfast I picked.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Panzer Skank posted:

edit: also congrats on picking belgian waffle, the superior breakfast choice
I have no idea how the option with bacon failed when the voters were goons.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Bacon is really overrated.

I have a lot of serious opinions on breakfast foods.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Forget the bacon, the omelette's the good part.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Anchors posted:

Bacon is really overrated.

I have a lot of serious opinions on breakfast foods.
Oh, I quite agree with you. I'm still surprised it lost out with goons in the voting block.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Omeleteers! Lynch them!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To be fair, omelets are pretty kicking.

It could be a bacon omelet.

With extra bacon. Canadian bacon.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I often have breakfast foods for dinner, and no one can stop me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

EponymousMrYar posted:

To be fair, omelets are pretty kicking.

It could be a bacon omelet.

With extra bacon. Canadian bacon.

So...not bacon.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

So...not bacon.

Bacon and not bacon also.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
The true breakfast of choice would be a crepe. Or a crepe and a belgian waffle for maximum sugar rush.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Best breakfast is cold pizza, but I can understand why it's not an option here.

From the options, waffle is best.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello happy holidays and new year! Only a little late I've brought you a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Let's head down to the diner, meet some locals and eat a really big drat waffle!:siren:

The poll for today: closed!

Here is the new journal pages:

The new song in today's episode is: José González - Crosses [lyrics]

Sorry the video ran a little long, there was a lot of people to chat with!

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 2, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like that the teenager bragging about how BAAAAAAAKED he is bruhhhhhhhhhhhhh ten feet from a cop was somehow not the dumbest idiot in that building

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I bought the game in no small part to this lp, and this whole breakfast scene was irritatingly buggy for me. I kept getting stuck in the rewind screen without being able to move backwards or cancel out and I would have to reload. There is another bug I ran into down the line that is kind of hilarious, but I will talk about that when we get there. So far none of the other episodes I've played have had these problems. Just episode two. Weird.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Eldataluta posted:

I bought the game in no small part to this lp, and this whole breakfast scene was irritatingly buggy for me. I kept getting stuck in the rewind screen without being able to move backwards or cancel out and I would have to reload. There is another bug I ran into down the line that is kind of hilarious, but I will talk about that when we get there. So far none of the other episodes I've played have had these problems. Just episode two. Weird.

I actually have had the most bugs in Episode 2 as well, I feel like it might have had some development problems? Thankfully I have been able to play or edit around a lot of them, but you might have noticed Max vibrating as she got out of the shower (she actually vibrated so badly it broke the camera on my first recording and i had to scrap it) or the weird pop-in out the window on the bus ride. Luckily I haven't gotten outright stuck or crashed in a while but I feel like episodes 3-5 were a bit more polished overall.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Fire Walk With Me is the name of the Twin Peaks movie. I haven't seen it yet after I watched Twin Peaks but I hear it's freaky.

Twin Peaks is coming back in a couple years, FYI.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo these truckers, i'm loving dying here

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna steal "Pardonne-moi, but you're in my eyesight" for my own conversational repertoire.

Even though i don't live in an English speaking country.

Or a French speaking one.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

By Neptune's beard!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

code:
INT. DONTNOD MEETING ROOM - NIGHT

Two writers are sitting in an otherwise empty meeting room. Lights throughout the building are off,
informing the viewer they are the only people still working this late.

CHRISTIAN
This episode needs to be released in two weeks. It's looking fine but I'm concerned about how long
the gap is between these two major choices.

JEAN-LUC
Yeah, I agree. We could add another one in somewhere between them?

CHRISTIAN
That's what I'm thinking. Needs to be relatively small, though. Can't rework too many of these
scenes and we can only reliably get Hannah and Ashly back to record lines at this short notice.

JEAN-LUC
How about... Chloe doesn't Max to answer the phone.

CHRISTIAN
Yeah whatever, let's get out of here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Answer the phone

Chloe needs to be reminded that Max is the one with godlike powers here, and her whims are not to be questioned, but obeyed. Denying her requests is a good start.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 29, 2015

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Is it possible to play this as a non social goon who talks to no one, stays out of all conflicts, and just takes pictures of things?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Fire Walk With Me is the name of the Twin Peaks movie. I haven't seen it yet after I watched Twin Peaks but I hear it's freaky.

Fire Walk with me is a Twin Peaks prequel movie and covers Laura Palmer's life before she dies. It's not like the TV show because there's no quirky humor in this one.You could call it horror but it's a David Lynch film so that's pretty much its own classification.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Answer the phone

Chloe needs to be reminded that Max is the one with godlike powers here, and her whims are not to be questioned, but obeyed. Denying her requests is a good start.

Seriously, sidekicks exist to serve not lead their hero/leader. Get in the place you gave yourself Chloe.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Max stop rewinding time for stupid things you're going to melt your brain out of your nose more than you already are

don't do it

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Oh my god I love this gaaaaaame

I was somewhat worried that the game would focus entirely on the characters and leave out Max's super loving cool power. Glad Chloe gets her to do a bunch of stupid poo poo when she finds out time travel is real.

A shame she had to go and be a huge jerk at the last second though. Really? Asking your friend to skip taking a call because of you? Answering Kate is the only correct choice here.

KasaiAisu fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 29, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Max bleeds out her nose after getting serious red around the edges on her casual time-travel. Doesn't associate the two.

drat it Max, can you not walk and talk? This is the most contrived of all choices. YOU COULD JUST ANSWER THE PHONE, WALK OUT THE DINER, AND DO BOTH

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Belgian Waffles with a side of cockroach

Best diner ever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

KasaiAisu posted:

A shame she had to go and be a huge jerk at the last second though. Really? Asking your friend to skip taking a call because of you?
Not unexpected, Chloe's entire character screams "insecure". That being said, yeah, we should take the phone.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, while teens people can be lovely and petty about dumb poo poo, this is definitely a situation where Max could have stood up for herself and not taken poo poo about taking a 30 second phone call.

But Max is clearly a girl that has doubts about most of the decisions she makes in general and that doesn't really jibe with standing by a decision when pressed about it.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I like Chloe and don't like Kate. Too busy to chat, Kate.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
There's a bit of a disconnect between the player and Max here - the game tells us Chloe is our best friend, but we've got at least as much characterization of Kate with our choices. To Max it might be a choice between a childhood friend and a virtual stranger, but to the player it's the choice between a friend in need and Chloe.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

klafbang posted:

There's a bit of a disconnect between the player and Max here - the game tells us Chloe is our best friend, but we've got at least as much characterization of Kate with our choices. To Max it might be a choice between a childhood friend and a virtual stranger, but to the player it's the choice between a friend in need and Chloe.

There's a few layers going on here, even with how shallow this choice is. Max spent her entire morning doing things for Kate, dispelling the rumors, removing nasty messages from her slate and the mirror, their whole long conversation. Is this phone call really going to make such a large difference? Chloe is very insecure and feels abandoned by everyone. It's petty but we can see why she would be miffed we answer a phone call from someone else in the middle of our designated hangout time. Is the call that important? It doesn't look like their conversation is super critical, but maybe it means a lot to Kate? Is it more important to be there for someone we've blown off for years or for someone who is in a time of crisis, though we've spent a large amount of time with them already this very day. How important are small events like this in other people's lives?

Another point I feel comes up a lot in conversations about this game: the choices aren't about what you think you would have done in this situation. We are not playing as ourselves. Max is a socially awkward, anxious dorky teen. She is young and inexperienced and has no idea what to do a lot of the time. The paths we see in the Big Decision moments aren't explicitly "the only ways to handle the situation", but really the only routes a crappy kid sees. These are the things Max think might be okay ways to handle given situations and we get to help her choose which split second choice might be the least bad way to go.
So when you think "jeez, this has such an obvious solution to me, she could just (talk on the phone while they walk) (tell kate to only tell the police and not the principal) (take the picture then go protect kate) and there'd be no problem!", those solutions are obvious to you as an adult with experience viewing the situation from the outside. I feel like we are meant to feel frustration like this the way you look back on dumb poo poo you did yourself as a kid and you're like, gently caress I could have handled that so much better, it's obvious now! But it wasn't obvious when you were a dumb kid like Max.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

This is true. and our time travel powers suggest it's just a checking in to let us know that the cops/school are going to look into it.

But then everyone is like "YOU'LL TOTALLY SEE HER IN CLASS. IT'S NOT LIKE SHE'S GONNA DIE OR ANYTHING."

Which of course makes me paranoid that Kate is gonna get super murdered or something because she's making trouble for the rich folks.

It's still frustrating and dumb. Just like teenagers amirite! (I stand by my vote.)

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Panzer Skank posted:

So when you think "jeez, this has such an obvious solution to me, she could just (talk on the phone while they walk) (tell kate to only tell the police and not the principal) (take the picture then go protect kate) and there'd be no problem!", those solutions are obvious to you as an adult with experience viewing the situation from the outside. I feel like we are meant to feel frustration like this the way you look back on dumb poo poo you did yourself as a kid and you're like, gently caress I could have handled that so much better, it's obvious now! But it wasn't obvious when you were a dumb kid like Max.

How great would it be though if we got a New Game + where Max gets sunglasses and just speedruns life, doing everything the best way possible

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

KasaiAisu posted:

How great would it be though if we got a New Game + where Max gets sunglasses and just speedruns life, doing everything the best way possible
Not very, the entire premise of the game works on consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I don't think Chloe would be so mad about our taking the phone call if Max would just explain that it's Kate. One of Nathan's other victims. Like, Chloe of all people should be able to understand the position Kate is in. Especially since Kate wasn't able to escape like Chloe was. I guess Max being painfully socially awkward is as good a reason as any for her not getting those two in a room together and convincing them to go together to the police about what Nathan did to them, but this choice is just so frustrating because Chloe would be a good person for Kate to talk to and vice versa if Chloe would stop being so pissed off and Max would just be a little more assertive.

• Locked thread