Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Minarch posted:

ate a tin of dines on pita with honeycup mustard 5/5 would dine again

Oh I read this as with honey, oops. Well whatever, I have garlic fermented honey that would probably be great in this combination. I guess fermenting your own foods is a mom thing? but they go with dines regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dinner was totally unsatisfactory so I ate some smoked oysters while watching Sunday Night Football.

Pretty dadly. Or :btroll:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Mother in law made anchovies dip for Christmas.

I asked for the recipe.

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012
Guys what are your favorite dine crackers?
I'm in in the pacific northwest, so whatever stupid regional names apply.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Chirk Manbote posted:

Guys what are your favorite dine crackers?
I'm in in the pacific northwest, so whatever stupid regional names apply.

sour dough bread, preferably a baguette. stoned wheat thins in an emeregency. assholesin this theead will tell you to get some garbage crackers that resemble sandpaper coated drywall, ignore them.

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012

Sizone posted:

sour dough bread, preferably a baguette. stoned wheat thins in an emeregency. assholesin this theead will tell you to get some garbage crackers that resemble sandpaper coated drywall, ignore them.

Sounds logical and delicious. Do you add any condo-mints to your bague-dines?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Insane Totoro posted:

I asked for the recipe.

Whoa you post that recipe when you get it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Sizone posted:

This and triscuits have worked well for me. Old man at the bar said saltines but they get soggy

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Insane Totoro posted:

I asked for the recipe.

anchovies :zoid:

imo change the thread title to be inclusive of all disgusting sea creatures

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

AEMINAL posted:

Do you 'dine dads have any favorite sardine salad recipes?

I'm thinking feta cheese and tomatoes would go well but with em, but I suck at salad-making and could use some ingredients that would accent the 'dines nicely

I just make salad nicoise but use sardines instead of or along with anchovies and tuna. Someone told me putting cold sliced boiled potatoes in it is wrong but I don't care I like it that way. So, potatoes, greens, cold cooked green beans, tomato, olives, sliced onion, olive oil and vinegar with a little mustard. This stuffed in a roll makes a good sandwich too.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Chirk Manbote posted:

Sounds logical and delicious. Do you add any condo-mints to your bague-dines?

I almost always add lemon juice. dijon, horseradish and hot sauce (various types from lousiana to sriacha to sweet garlic chili sauce are all acceptable depending on circumstances) are also fine dinedements.

If you get a better brand packed in hot sauce you shouldn't have to add anything to it. Same with most of the better meditaranean style ones and KO with cracked pepper.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
This is not my mother in law's anchovies dip recipe but I thought I'd do a little experiment with sardines in water (because what else are we going to do with those?): Sardines Dip

All I did was drain a can of sardines, mash it up with a fork, add a poo poo ton of spices, mixing once, and then two tablespoons of sour cream and a dab of dijon mustard before mixing it all up a second time.

It was pretty good!

Bonus in Photos: my wife got me a can of sardine paper clips

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

Tried KO Kipper snack on some sourdough bread earlier. Delicious! Super smokey, will buy again.

Sometimes I like to get a can of them kipper snacks packed in mustard sauce, then put them on toasted bread or thick crackers with a thin slice of red onion. Then toss them under the broiler for a very short time. This thread makes me want that gross fish.

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
Are you supposed to heat up the sardines or eat them cold?

I tried some in mustard sauce yesterday... They just tasted like poo poo mustard... I have like six cans left.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Why did you get so many if you didn't know you liked it?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Tried one tin of King Oscar, eaten cold with raw spinach. The King delivers, would repeat. Thanks OP, 5/5.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
As a part of post-holidays resumption of weight loss (108 pounds since March!), I decided to center sardines in my diet in a big way. Minimum 3 meals a week. In the interest of that (and being down to one can of Brunswick from god knows when), dinner tonight was a sardine taste test with the wife. On the table, all in olive oil:
1 can Season boneless/skinless (our previous go-to, because Costco sells them cheap cheap cheap)
1 can King Oscar two-layer 12-22
1 can Bela
1 can Wild Planet

We both agreed that Wild Planet was our hands-down favorite in flavor and texture. Conveniently, it's the cheapest of those three. Season was a distant fourth, and we disagreed on the KO v. Bela. I liked the KO better, finding the Bela too firm and the fish overpowered by smoke and olive flavors. She objected to a metallic note (which I noticed, but didn't find it as strident) in the KO, which might imply a bad can, so we may retest in the future seeing as how beloved they are. The wild planets were gorgeous, firm but not chewy, with a nice balance of fish, salt, sweetness, and smoke. We may splurge on a can of Matiz to see if they're as good as some say, and we're definitely going to hit Despana in the near term to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Story: Found some cheap sardines at the local Asian market with Japanese writing, one yellow tin, one red. Harvested in Thailand. Bought 'em.

Yellow tin turned out not to be mustard, some sort of sweetish oily peanut sauce that was pleasant enough. I was hard up for something to go with a pretty boring vegan black bean soup, and it was ok. Fish are firm, reddish flesh, bones in and skin on.

So I says to my wife, try this, and she is not down with how this looks at all, but humors me anyway. Anyhow, long story short, she mixes some sardine, a little black bean soup, and some rice cereal, and my 16 month old baby girl eats the whole thing (and a little bit of kimchi).

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel

Drunkboxer posted:

Why did you get so many if you didn't know you liked it?

I love sardines; I did not like the cold mustard sauce. I normally have sardines on a hot pizza, so I'm curious if others normally eat them cold or if they hear them up somehow.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
We eat the mustard dines room temp. Some people don't like the mustard. Those people usually like tomato.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Sheep-Goats posted:

We eat the mustard dines room temp. Some people don't like the mustard. Those people usually like tomato.

Tomato dines go loving great with dijon mustard if you spread a little on the cracker before dolloping out the dines.
It's my new favorite dine combo. Ate two tins yesterday like it, so salty and delicious.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are we being duped in this thread by Big Sardine™? Michael Cilantro thinks so.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Herbacious motherufcker

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Are we being duped in this thread by Big Sardine™? Michael Cilantro thinks so.

I bet he inexplicably says his last name with a Spanish accent :mad:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Pity a man that lives in Hawaii and doesn't appreciate fish.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

All fish are bad for you, that's a proven fact IMO.

This thread is actually making me want to try some sardines.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Cthulu Carl posted:

All fish are bad for you, that's a proven fact IMO.

This thread is actually making me want to try some sardines.

do it

i did and now look at me

a strong dad

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

do it

i did and now look at me

a strong dad

I'm not a dad though :ohdear:

What if I anger the Guardians of Dadness?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Sheep-Goats posted:

I bet he inexplicably says his last name with a Spanish accent :mad:

there's an r there, better rrroll it

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
This probably has been addressed but smoked sprats are loving great and they are just brisling sardines. They are relatively cheap from a Russian store if you live somewhere unfortunate that has a high Russian population.

Also not all anchovies are packed in salt. White anchovies are often not and quite good.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 29, 2015

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Oil sardines drowned in habanero sauce kinda dad here.

Tomato and mustard? Never touch the stuff.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

Oil sardines drowned in habanero sauce kinda dad here.

Tomato and mustard? Never touch the stuff.

I like the hot stuff every once in awhile, but the mustard + tomato dines combo is so nice and salty.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bought some Goya brand 'dines (imported from Spain?) in olive oil at Walmart while I was there picking up some dish soap. Had them on some crackers. Solid 6/10. Will try a better brand (maybe in mustard) next time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm going to try some more mustard dines. I love mustard but I was less than enthused by the Brunswick mustard.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright dine thread, I finally decided to stop being a giant pussy and cracked open that tin of Trader Joes lightly smoked dines. First impression was that the fish were a lot larger than I expected, there were three fairly large fish where I always imagined the can to be packed with a bunch of bite size fishes. They were a little fisher and a little bit less smokier than I had originally hoped for, but once I got past my initial squeamishness I realized that I was really enjoying them. My wife and I annihilated the tin of dines, and then polished off a can of smoked oysters afterward, which tasted super smoky in comparison. Can't wait to try some Mediterranean and jalapeño variety King Oscars, but the ones I got at Trader Joes were $1.50 which is less than half what the KOs cost, so I'll definitely be back for more of those as well. 10/10 would dine again. I've got a 5 week old baby and I feel like my dad card has officially been stamped.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

marauderthirty posted:

Alright dine thread, I finally decided to stop being a giant pussy and cracked open that tin of Trader Joes lightly smoked dines. First impression was that the fish were a lot larger than I expected, there were three fairly large fish where I always imagined the can to be packed with a bunch of bite size fishes. They were a little fisher and a little bit less smokier than I had originally hoped for, but once I got past my initial squeamishness I realized that I was really enjoying them. My wife and I annihilated the tin of dines, and then polished off a can of smoked oysters afterward, which tasted super smoky in comparison. Can't wait to try some Mediterranean and jalapeño variety King Oscars, but the ones I got at Trader Joes were $1.50 which is less than half what the KOs cost, so I'll definitely be back for more of those as well. 10/10 would dine again. I've got a 5 week old baby and I feel like my dad card has officially been stamped.

You're a fine lad and an overall good person. Go for the harissa 'dines, they're even easier to deal with than the olive oil ones. When my laziness intersects with hunger hard enough, I just mix 'em in with one of the TJ noodle boxes (pad thai), some chinese chili sauce, and I'm never hungry again.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Test Pattern posted:

As a part of post-holidays resumption of weight loss (108 pounds since March!), I decided to center sardines in my diet in a big way. Minimum 3 meals a week.

Keep up the good work with the weight loss! You should try making fisherman's eggs; they're so ridiculously full of protein you'll feel full for hours.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Male Tears posted:

Keep up the good work with the weight loss! You should try making fisherman's eggs; they're so ridiculously full of protein you'll feel full for hours.

Got a link to the goon recipe of them?

It Is Time

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sheep-Goats posted:

~~Fisherman's Eggs~~

Preheat oven with oven proof dish inside to degrees. Into the heated dish place a can of sardines, a small sliced shallot some parsley (like two trees chopped up) and two chopped cloves of garlic, some pepper. 6 minutes.

Remove the dish and put four eggs in, season. 7 minutes.

Remove and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve (with toast and hot sauce).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

http://thingsmybellylikes.com/2013/03/25/fishermans-eggs/ says 375 but I think there's some sort of dadfight about it going on. maybe because that recipe says to use a white onion but the proper way uses a shallot? i dunno

also I use 3 eggs because 4 eggs is just too many egg