Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I have finally figured out WOTC secret reason for making standard a dumpster fire. They want everyone to play modern.

"Look at all these powerful cards we use to print, back in the old days of 2013 that we will never print again." "Aren't they fun to play?"

Think of all the money they'll make by making the only format that sells cards unplayable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why would they want people to play the format they're not selling cards for, and not play the format they're selling cards for

Put differently, why would they not want to sell the cards for the format(s) that people want to play?

(this is a question that has been around for much longer than any given dumpster-fire standard)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats rotated

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zemyla posted:

Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats Elixir Control rotated

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

There's still that game in the LGS basement of two RTR/INN Bant Control lists. It still hasn't ended.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Where do I go for deck advice? Trying to throw together a black/red dragon deck to play casually with friends.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Die Laughing posted:

Where do I go for deck advice? Trying to throw together a black/red dragon deck to play casually with friends.

Welcome to the Brewhouse

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Zemyla posted:

Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats rotated

i like this post

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
where is the next stupid deck for goons to fawn over and declare standard saved until it sucks agains for a few months

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Four Score posted:

where is the next stupid deck for goons to fawn over and declare standard saved until it sucks agains for a few months

I dont know about you guys but I've been loving the various Aristocrats decks this standard, at least from affar, havent been playing.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 29, 2015

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Rimusutera posted:

I dont know about you guys but I've been loving the various Aristocrats decks this standard, at least from affar, havent been playing.

They're great until you remember you have to play against that wanna-be pro with a $800 abzan/jeskai list.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Four Score posted:

I actually like most of the decks in standard, except Abzan (just from fatigue, I think). The Damp Mardu / Charred Jeskai deck is cool because it feels like a modern deck — crazy mana base, plays a 2-mana Jace and good edicts and excellent card draw. Aristocrats is genuinely an interesting deck to watch happen. Ramp is great because big Eldrazi/Ugin are great. Esper Dragons is a solid control deck that's not dominant enough to be boring yet. And if you don't like watching RDW beat faces, you don't like Magic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I have this alternate theory where Mark Rosewater hosed up

Well he hasn't killed magic yet, so clearly he's not exactly successful

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess there are some things to like about this standard. I like that there are some legitimate combo decks, and super mana combined with gold cards does create a high power format with a lot of decisions.

The main issue I see is that the cost means you may as well just build a modern deck

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I've enjoyed grinding Jeskai black matches in modo standard leagues these last few weeks :(

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is a great deck from a Spike-type value perspective. It reminds me a lot of the Grixis Control deck in Modern, though Snapcaster is better for that deck than baby Jace.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've seen people running both

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Gerry Thompson ran 4 flipjace at the last invitational playing grixis control and he did very well that weekend.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
While the original incarnation with Mantis Rider and Dig's felt powerful if clunky -- and had a surprising number of matches where I felt I was always on the precipice of just folding if I didn't draw just right or get my mana sequenced absolutely perfectly -- the versions with Monastery Mentor + Treasure Cruise feel almost unfair in comparison. I never feel like a dog and just spend matches grinding people to utter dust under a pile of value, cards, and monk tokens. Love standard!

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Gerry Thompson ran 4 flipjace at the last invitational playing grixis control and he did very well that weekend.

Is this the Rise//Fall version? I think that one is geared more around discard than countermagic, so I guess then you can play 4 Jace and 4 Snapcasters and always get value out of the flashbacks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zemyla posted:

Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats Sidisi Whip rotated
FTFY. For all the whining people did about Whip being too good/OP/broken (lol @ that) I doubt we'll see a standard as interesting and fun as Theros/Tarkir for a long time. Also hating that whatever deck I build will invariably rotate at most 6 months after I build it so maybe I'll just have to quit standard until they change to a new rotation style in a couple of years.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

FTFY. For all the whining people did about Whip being too good/OP/broken (lol @ that) I doubt we'll see a standard as interesting and fun as Theros/Tarkir for a long time. Also hating that whatever deck I build will invariably rotate at most 6 months after I build it so maybe I'll just have to quit standard until they change to a new rotation style in a couple of years.

Meh, instead of the field being 40% abzan and jeskai it was just 40% abzan.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im just hoping that returning to innistrad gives us some cool new reanimator tools. We certainly have the targets.

E: I think, Im still not used to the new block structure. I think we'll still have Dragonlords for briefly

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 29, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DTK and Origins form a block so yeah, they'll be around throughout SoI block. We also have eldrazi lords with no anti-reanimation clause.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Imagine three blocks on the edge of a cliff. Say a block is sent to the back of the line of blocks and takes the place of the first block. The formerly first block becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the third falls off the cliff.

Standard works the same way.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Imagine three blocks on the edge of a cliff. Say a block is sent to the back of the line of blocks and takes the place of the first block. The formerly first block becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the third falls off the cliff.

Yeah I get it, just not used to it yet. I was thinking of Atarka anyways.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DTK and Origins form a block so yeah, they'll be around throughout SoI block. We also have eldrazi lords with no anti-reanimation clause.

Exhume confirmed for SoI, you heard it here first guys.

*is destroyed by WoTC for not reporting self*

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Johnny5cardcombo.jpg

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Johnny5cardcombo.jpg

Johnny Five Jaces

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Promos(in order, Release, Buy-a-box, Game Day, Game Day Top 8):

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kill Shot for 1W seems good. White was already the best removal colour in BFZ.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Lancelot posted:

Kill Shot for 1W seems good. White was already the best removal colour in BFZ.

What is black even for now

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Wurzag posted:

rare removal that also hits planeswalkers, and Tasigur

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Wurzag posted:

According to the current color pie, Black is secondary in creature removal and tertiary in siege rhino.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Wurzag posted:

tasigur and siege rhino

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Black is actually way better in removal than white, even in current Standard, it's just that white's removal (a) is cheaper because it's combat-related (which is not really a drawback in limited unless you're facing down a Valakut Invoker) and (b) generally appears at lower rarities than black's. It makes for better limited play, too, since you can play around attacking with your dude if they have Gideon's Reproach and mana up, but you can't really ever avoid Ruinous Path.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

pakman posted:

tasigur and siege rhino

You forgot crackling doom.

Edit: Jori En really makes me want to splash red in Merfolk, as bad as that is.

Like it's a horrible idea but I really want to try that horrible idea. You know, because casting spells in Merfolk isn't a thing after so long and Aether Vial isn't casting.

Seems like a decent commander for EDH though if you aren't trying to be the douchebag playing Niv Mizzet.

Also did that dudebro in Immolating Glare just toast Kozilek?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 29, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

pretty piecture

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lancelot posted:

Black is actually way better in removal than white, even in current Standard, it's just that white's removal (a) is cheaper because it's combat-related (which is not really a drawback in limited unless you're facing down a Valakut Invoker) and (b) generally appears at lower rarities than black's. It makes for better limited play, too, since you can play around attacking with your dude if they have Gideon's Reproach and mana up, but you can't really ever avoid Ruinous Path.

I mean reproach is a common and Ruinous Path is a rare and that plays a huge part in how good a color's removal is in limited.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Count Bleck posted:

You forgot crackling doom.

Edit: Jori En really makes me want to splash red in Merfolk, as bad as that is.

Like it's a horrible idea but I really want to try that horrible idea. You know, because casting spells in Merfolk isn't a thing after so long and Aether Vial isn't casting.

Seems like a decent commander for EDH though if you aren't trying to be the douchebag playing Niv Mizzet.

Also did that dudebro in Immolating Glare just toast Kozilek?

I think it's just a giant Kozilek spawn.

• Locked thread