Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MasterSlowPoke posted:

gently caress me, Darkrai isn't Dark/Ghost?!

Its name is dark + kurai (dark in Japanese). It's double dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it should be x4 weak to fighting then imo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Pure Dark. That one seems to get everyone

The one that gets me is Lugia. I always think it's Water/Flying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Somehow got addicted to Pokemon Shuffle the past couple days, and finally got a ridiculous post-game combo. It just kept happening!

Nidorina's good for that kind of thing for some reason.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

"rai" is japanese for "completely" so Darkrai being completely dark makes sense

So Raichu is Completely Chu :3:

actually Raichu translates to Thundersqueak but whatevs

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Its name is dark + kurai (dark in Japanese). It's double dark.

It makes more sense when you realise it's not a ghost, but a boogeyman-style demon

Twelve by Pies posted:

Look psyhic is a very powerful defensive type okay?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Does anyone know if you need a Nintendo network ID to actually play and trade pokemon? My buddy needs his 3ds back, but I want to know if I can use my old wiped 3ds and his copy of the game to trade with my current system.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Does anyone know if you need a Nintendo network ID to actually play and trade pokemon? My buddy needs his 3ds back, but I want to know if I can use my old wiped 3ds and his copy of the game to trade with my current system.

It doesn't go through any sort of login procedure so it should not be needed. Pokemon Bank was the first Pokemon thing to use Nintendo Network and that completely crashed the system.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Twelve by Pies posted:

The thing looks like a dragon, spends all its time in the under the sea, and is the counterpart of a Fire/Flying Pokemon. Psychic is clearly the first thing that comes to mind.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oddium posted:

"rai" is japanese for "completely" so Darkrai being completely dark makes sense

And here I thought it was DARK THUNDER this whole time. Would fit how edgelordy the rest of it is.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ruggington posted:

What does an Azumaril belly feel like

Like hugging a seal

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Geostomp posted:

The thing looks like a dragon, spends all its time in the under the sea, and is the counterpart of a Fire/Flying Pokemon. Psychic is clearly the first thing that comes to mind.

To be honest it's probably Psychic because it's supposed to be a tank, and x4 Electric weaknesses would ruin that.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Started playing Neo Y and I'm already cracking up at how edgy it is. Your mom is an alcoholic deadbeat who can't wait for you to begin your journey so she can party all night and try to get in Sycamore's pants.

Also the nicknames the game tried to give my character were Hot S, Sweet S, and S-girl. Probably unintentional but hilarious.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

Started playing Neo Y and I'm already cracking up at how edgy it is. Your mom is an alcoholic deadbeat who can't wait for you to begin your journey so she can party all night and try to get in Sycamore's pants.

Also the nicknames the game tried to give my character were Hot S, Sweet S, and S-girl. Probably unintentional but hilarious.

That sounds like garbage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do NOT let someone nickname you HotS.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that sounds less funny edgy and more groan-inducing edgy

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest it's probably Psychic because it's supposed to be a tank, and x4 Electric weaknesses would ruin that.

Psychic hasn't been a good defensive type since Gen 1, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

Gen 2 was designed with the assumption that psychic was still a good type after the nerfs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

A quadruple weakness to a super good offensive typing sounds even worse though. Not saying Psychic is a good defensive typing, but Dark/Ghost sounds manageable, especially back in the day when Shadow Ball was physical and Ghost types both didn't exist beyond two lines and were special sweepers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a link to all the starter portraits for SMD somewhere? I know they've existed for earlier games.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Im still waiting on someone to release all the portraits of all 700+ pokemon, they all have at least two or three I think.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
The portraits have all been ripped, but they were scattered all over. However, someone's started submitting sorted sheets to Spriter's Resource, so it's probably only a matter of time. As I write this, they've got the starters, their evos, and the other Gen 1 characters listed in there as sheets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

I love that Torterra is so big that you can barely see his portrait background colour. Same with Chesnaught.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cptn_dr posted:

Like hugging a seal

adorable!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

that sounds less funny edgy and more groan-inducing edgy

I am not sure there is a difference.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

A quadruple weakness to a super good offensive typing sounds even worse though. Not saying Psychic is a good defensive typing, but Dark/Ghost sounds manageable, especially back in the day when Shadow Ball was physical and Ghost types both didn't exist beyond two lines and were special sweepers.

If Ho-Oh can get by with a quad Rock weakness, Lugia would deal with Electric. Gyarados has done it since day one. The thing is so clearly Water-themed that Psychic just doesn't fit.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Interestingly, the TCG does often classify it as a Water-type.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why is flying weak to rock anyway. also why is water not weak to poison

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

oddium posted:

why is flying weak to rock anyway.

try throwing a rock at a bird and see how that goes for the bird (don't actually do this)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i feel like all things are weak to rock by that logic

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

also why is water not weak to poison

Because they don't want to give Azumarill and Ludicolo a 4x weakness

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The only reason I remember that particular weakness is the old "kill two birds with one stone" saying. It's otherwise not logical that flying things would be weaker to getting hit by rocks than other animals.

Of course, aside from their interactions with the flying type Rock and Ground are so similar thematically that I still get their other type interactions mixed up from time to time. :downs:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I would love to see a revamped type table where each type had X-number of weaknesses and resistances.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

I would love to see a revamped type table where each type had X-number of weaknesses and resistances.

That's communism

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I think I've posted this before, but Bug being weak to Poison made sense back in gen I. This isn't the case anymore because bug types have developed pesticide resistance. :science:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

majormonotone posted:

try throwing a rock at a bird and see how that goes for the bird (don't actually do this)

Flying should be weak to steel because Sasaki Kojiro.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

oddium posted:

i feel like all things are weak to rock by that logic

There's a reason why Rock is a great attacking type.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

less laughter posted:

Interestingly, the TCG does often classify it as a Water-type.

Thanks to that I stumbled upon the cardgame equivalent of Funbro

"No you don't get to win, I also don't get to lose, let's see how this goes."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I started SMD now. It gave me Torchic/Turtwig, the same team I had in MD Sky, surprisingly enough. Also the same two Pokemon I said I wouldn't use, so I had to disagree and go for Charmander/Chespin, at least to keep the same types.

Also I put the code for the theme and it just gave me an error code. Tried again, and it says the code was used already. I got no theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Like hugging a seal

wait a seal, a seel, or a spheal?

• Locked thread