Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Thanks Ants posted:

v3 Final USE THIS ONE.docx

I shared our budget document with my team, because it was marked FINAL. Then someone chimed in to say there was an updated one coming soon, guess they will name that one REALLY FINAL THIS TIME - I SWEAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"If it was important I would've told it to you personally" - ex-Sys Admin who documented nothing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

go3 posted:

\\IT\Docs\IT Docs\Documentation\Rev1\2015\Documentation\Original\Docs\Post July Changes\Docs\New Folder(3)\Reverted\Docs\Current\

Do you work with me, wtf

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

\\IT\Docs\IT Docs\Documentation\Rev1\2015\Documentation\Original\Docs\Post July Changes\Docs\New Folder(3)\Reverted\Docs\Current\

Documentation.docx
Documentation.xlsx
Documentation.vsd

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At least the entire directory structure isn't changed randomly changed by the CTO. :v:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
It's baffling to me that even the person at my job who specializes in documentation doesn't understand or use version tracking

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
No one uses a wiki or knowledge base?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PBS posted:

We use Wiki combined with SVN.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

PBS posted:

Does sharepoint count?

Does sharepoint count if no one has uploaded a file since 2011?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

beepsandboops posted:

It's baffling to me that even the person at my job who specializes in documentation doesn't understand or use version tracking

At my last job my boss (who in most regards was awesome and great) would routinely commit iterations on same time file named "stuff.conf, stuff.conf.v2, stuff.conf.v2.bak" etc all on the same git branch for our config management tool. I just... why... :psyboom: Really that was my only complaint about him, though, which isn't bad at all in the pantheon of IT boss stories.

DigitalMocking posted:

Does sharepoint count?

It counts... as a hate crime

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

DigitalMocking posted:

Does sharepoint count?

Does sharepoint count if no one has uploaded a file since 2011?

Yes.

No.

We have a knowledge management portal and sharepoint, the knowledge generally seems to be for T1/T2 teams whereas T3+ will generally use sharepoint as a repository. (Though everyone uses it to some extent)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Giant gently caress-off document. Ctrl-F to the topic you need

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Any super simple knowledge base solution recommendations? Maybe a Wiki would work, currently we have nothing but employee memories and specialization. A website wiki wouldn't be too hard to set up, but something prebuilt could work too. Free or cheap preferable, and minimal setup/maintenance

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

CloFan posted:

Any super simple knowledge base solution recommendations? Maybe a Wiki would work, currently we have nothing but employee memories and specialization. A website wiki wouldn't be too hard to set up, but something prebuilt could work too. Free or cheap preferable, and minimal setup/maintenance

Confluence. Up to I think a team of 5 or 10 is like $10. Very solid for a smaller team for the price

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Walked posted:

Confluence. Up to I think a team of 5 or 10 is like $10. Very solid for a smaller team for the price

I like how it jumps from 10$ for 10 users to 50$ for 11 users.

Looks alright, haven't ever used it. I'm sure there's a lot of free wiki software out there that's half decent, but that's a hosted solution which might be nice for him.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This recently starting appearing in Google Music on my Note 5, the "watch video" thing. Any idea what this is or how to turn it off? Do I have a phone virus?!

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

This recently starting appearing in Google Music on my Note 5, the "watch video" thing. Any idea what this is or how to turn it off? Do I have a phone virus?!

Weird, I'd have assumed some stupid youtube/youtube music integration but I don't see any news about it or anyone complaining in the reviews.

Edit: Nvm, found an article from awhile back http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2014/11/youtube-videos-in-google-play-music.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh goddammit I'm sorry, I thought this was the Android thread, I had too many tabs open. Thanks though!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Working in IT: We even support the mis-post IT questions.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
My favorite kind of documentation is the kind that's juuuuust out of date enough to still work, but ultimately doesn't give you anything close to what you actually need to run the NEW system that isn't documented yet (but is running in production, natch)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kashuno posted:

Documentation.docx
Documentation.xlsx
Documentation.vsd

We just discussed this in the poo poo that makes you mad IT Thread.

gently caress Word Document Documents

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PBS posted:

I like how it jumps from 10$ for 10 users to 50$ for 11 users.

Looks alright, haven't ever used it. I'm sure there's a lot of free wiki software out there that's half decent, but that's a hosted solution which might be nice for him.

Love Confluence for documentation. Even in my current department of 2, it makes documentation more effective. I've used it in much bigger teams and it's great.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

My favorite kind of documentation is the kind that's juuuuust out of date enough to still work, but ultimately doesn't give you anything close to what you actually need to run the NEW system that isn't documented yet (but is running in production, natch)

cisco.txt

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone care to share the way you lay out IT documentation hierarchy? Either that or a folder structure of the IT section of your network share. Could have sworn someone posted something a while back, but I can't seem to find it using the search.
Our documentation is mostly an elaborate oral history because 95% of documentation, once written, is never, ever read anyway. Anything important enough to be reproducible is scripted, handled through a configuration management system, or otherwise handled through some kind of automation.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
So it's that time of year when I'm due my overtime payment at my crappy factory job.

Last night I was mooching around this and the jobs thread and looked at doing some training this year that might see me more meaningfully employed in the future.

I had intended to splurge my bonus on a new PC build but now I'm thinking of taking the first module of the Red Hat Certified System Administrator course. I looked at the syllabus, here:

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/certification/rhcsa

...and thought that I already know enough to omit module 1 (RH124) and go straight to module 2 (RH135) with exam included.

I would like something on my CV that's related to something I could feel interested in (rather than what amounts to working on a production line) and related to IT. I'm very much in favour of Linux admin rather than other platforms and I know my way around the terminal and have learned basic networking skills maintaining my Ubuntu server, although I'm not arrogant enough as to think I don't need to spend nearly 2 thousand pounds on that first module.

Is this a good way of making a positive change for the coming year or would I be better off doing a cheaper course? The timing and location of the Red Hat courses around the UK is appealing to me, as I can throw in a weeks holiday and do the course in between work. I'm also a bit of a Red Hat fanboy, anyway, as I'm typing this from Fedora on my laptop. I need a change, or at least something to look back on and say I tried.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The other day a receptionist knowingly gave out of date information on making conference calls. The person came to me to decipher the instructions as they were for an entirely different phone system.

The receptionist knew they were out of date and the jury is out on whether she was too lazy to care or too dumb to think it would matter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

JewKiller 3000 posted:

My colleague installs firewalls and doesn't document interface addresses :smith:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

My colleague installs firewalls and doesn't document interface addresses :smith:

Security through obscurity textbook example.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I think I'd like to setup a Wiki for documentation instead of the tons of word docs I've been using in the past.

What one do you guys find most competent for technical documentation?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DeaconBlues posted:

So it's that time of year when I'm due my overtime payment at my crappy factory job.

Last night I was mooching around this and the jobs thread and looked at doing some training this year that might see me more meaningfully employed in the future.

I had intended to splurge my bonus on a new PC build but now I'm thinking of taking the first module of the Red Hat Certified System Administrator course. I looked at the syllabus, here:

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/certification/rhcsa

...and thought that I already know enough to omit module 1 (RH124) and go straight to module 2 (RH135) with exam included.

I would like something on my CV that's related to something I could feel interested in (rather than what amounts to working on a production line) and related to IT. I'm very much in favour of Linux admin rather than other platforms and I know my way around the terminal and have learned basic networking skills maintaining my Ubuntu server, although I'm not arrogant enough as to think I don't need to spend nearly 2 thousand pounds on that first module.

Is this a good way of making a positive change for the coming year or would I be better off doing a cheaper course? The timing and location of the Red Hat courses around the UK is appealing to me, as I can throw in a weeks holiday and do the course in between work. I'm also a bit of a Red Hat fanboy, anyway, as I'm typing this from Fedora on my laptop. I need a change, or at least something to look back on and say I tried.

Getting into Linux administration is a great career move, IMO. Companies are having a very hard time finding enough qualified people. But honestly unless your employer is covering the cost, I would not recommend the official courses. I'm sure they do a good job, but as you've noted, they are expensive. Often those are targeted at companies that want to get someone up to speed in a very short time. Pay for them to spend a week at the course full-time, bang out the exam, done. As an individual with a day job, that's probably not the way you should go about it.

It sounds like you have some basic comfort getting around Linux. You'd probably do fine picking up a book or two, setting up a few lab VM's at home, and using that to prepare at 1/6 the cost. Some goons have been using this study guide over in the book club thread. Michael Jang has been the go-to author for past versions of the exam, but for some reason his forthcoming RHEL 7 book has been eternally delayed.

The RHCSA/RHCE are practical exams, not multiple choice. You literally sit down at a keyboard and get a list of objectives. "This computer must be serving HTTP on port 80. It should be serving DNS queries on port 53. These users must exist with these permissions" etc. So by going through the exam objectives and thinking "yup, I can/cannot do that yet" it's fairly straightforward to decide when you're ready to try the test.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Gerdalti posted:

I think I'd like to setup a Wiki for documentation instead of the tons of word docs I've been using in the past.

We use a combination of MediaWiki and SharePoint. Anything that is static and/or rarely updated goes on the wiki and documents that multiple users make revisions to (Visio / Excel) we put on SharePoint. It's somewhat convoluted but I don't want to download/open Word every time I need to look up a circuit ID, which is often but the circuit ID's rarely change that it's easier to just edit the wiki.

I guess I could put everything that's static on the wiki on static pages within SharePoint, but that's just more reliance on our Windows / SharePoint group, which I don't trust very much.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

go3 posted:

PBS posted:

We pmuch just use email for everything. Seriously.
We also have the most hosed up documentation folder structure(see above). poo poo is everywhere, there's a million copies of everything, nothing is named right, there's like 6 folders named "Documentation" etc...

After I'd been pushing for a Wiki for like 6 months, the CTO says "Guys, I've got a great idea. Let's implement a wiki!"

Now we're expected to still navigate that poo poo repository, AND add it to the wiki, AND send an email announcement+instructions. In other words, nothing gets documented.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CloFan posted:

If your team isn't too large, a shared OneNote isn't a bad option.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

I'm sort of judging this person based on their penmanship.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What, you think they're a medical doctor?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Even a doctor knows "bargining" is not a word

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

captkirk posted:

I'm sort of judging this person based on their penmanship.

They probably type a lot.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Getting into Linux administration is a great career move, IMO. Companies are having a very hard time finding enough qualified people. But honestly unless your employer is covering the cost, I would not recommend the official courses. I'm sure they do a good job, but as you've noted, they are expensive. Often those are targeted at companies that want to get someone up to speed in a very short time. Pay for them to spend a week at the course full-time, bang out the exam, done. As an individual with a day job, that's probably not the way you should go about it.

It sounds like you have some basic comfort getting around Linux. You'd probably do fine picking up a book or two, setting up a few lab VM's at home, and using that to prepare at 1/6 the cost. Some goons have been using this study guide over in the book club thread. Michael Jang has been the go-to author for past versions of the exam, but for some reason his forthcoming RHEL 7 book has been eternally delayed.

The RHCSA/RHCE are practical exams, not multiple choice. You literally sit down at a keyboard and get a list of objectives. "This computer must be serving HTTP on port 80. It should be serving DNS queries on port 53. These users must exist with these permissions" etc. So by going through the exam objectives and thinking "yup, I can/cannot do that yet" it's fairly straightforward to decide when you're ready to try the test.

Thanks! I'll check out some of the study books. I'm comfortable around the terminal but not wholly confident in setting up servers etc. I'm going set aside X hours in my schedule for studying and see if I can get to a standard where I feel I could pass by going straight in for the test.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gerdalti posted:

It was mentioned a few posts up, but you could do a lot worse than Confluence. $10 a month for 10 users in the cloud, or $10 a year for 10 users on-prem. If you haven't used it before and just want to try it out, I would strongly suggest the cloud option if that is acceptable.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing?tab=host-in-the-cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

It was mentioned a few posts up, but you could do a lot worse than Confluence. $10 a month for 10 users in the cloud, or $10 a year for 10 users on-prem. If you haven't used it before and just want to try it out, I would strongly suggest the cloud option if that is acceptable.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing?tab=host-in-the-cloud

We use Confluence for internal documentation. It works well.