Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I disagree about the ringmail. 2 int and slightly more ac isn't worth the loss of regeneration and hit to dodging & spell failure, especially since you get a percentage bonus to ev by flying.

Irradiate is good, learn that. It's not good enough that you should invest in transmutation skill, but if you can cast it with your conj + veh bonuses (and you should be able to before lair is finished) it's a useful backup tool. Having an emergency spell that does heavy damage to everything touching you and can't miss is very helpful. I was skeptical when the spell got added but it's a very useful spell that you might cast 10~ times over the course of an entire game.

As far as future spells go, I would say focus air. Tengu get an apt bonus and you already have access to freezing cloud. Start picking up air/ice to get that castable with a slant on air, then ride that till you get chain lightning & tornado. You also need way more spell casting, it is mana and spell slots and spell failure and spell hunger all at once. It's nearly as important as your primary damage school. Especially with Vehumet you want to be able to pick up all the good spells he throws your way, including OoD which as a cj start will be an easy get and very powerful neutral damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
As you might expect, I died on L:1 about 10 minutes later to a hydra. What do you do to hydras? Just run away and come back later?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
e: weird double post.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Arivia posted:

As you might expect, I died on L:1 about 10 minutes later to a hydra. What do you do to hydras? Just run away and come back later?

If you can't kill it with your magical might before it's adjacent, you turn on your wings (you move slightly faster while flying) and get out.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
As a blasty TeCj do you just memorize all the starter spells in order or do you just go MM, Searing Ray, and jump to Battlesphere? I am terrible at blastercasters but TeCj sounded fun.

Sage Grimm posted:

If you can't kill it with your magical might before it's adjacent, you turn on your wings (you move slightly faster while flying) and get out.

Well poo poo, that might have saved me against that ogre :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I've been going Searing Ray, Mystic Blast, then either Fulminant Prism or Battlesphere depending upon how I'm doing, Prism seems to have a worse failure rate at the same time as Mystic Blast (because it's Conjuration/Hexes, I think), so I grab Mystic Blast first for orc packs and poo poo.

Here's how I've been playing:

-Magic Dart is just bread and butter plinking.

-Searing Ray. Get it up at level 2, and definitely by the time you go down to D:2. You use it on slightly harder targets, so adders and anything more dangerous. (Also worms, which are surprisingly tanky.) How you use it is that it casts along the ray line every time and never changes. So you want to have a target start at the far end of the line and never change out of it (a single-tile wide corridor, for example.) Cast it, then rest with . while you have the Ray status to keep channeling.

-Mystic Blast. Throw it at groups of dangerous poo poo (orcs, gnolls, wights.) I think it's less damage to a single target than Searing Ray though, so don't blow it on single creatures. I might be wrong because I am new at this.

-Battlesphere. Just keep it up all the time when you see something. Blasts away at whatever you attack. But I think it needs to have a clear line of effect, so hanging out in hallways with it can be awkward. It seems like you can shoot through it though? Either way, when you get it you can be much more powerful and conserve mp by keeping it up while you paint things with Magic Dart.

-Fulminant Prism. It's a timed bomb, essentially. Goes off roughly two turns after you cast it, so you need to predict enemy movement so that people end up in the bomb. Not hard for Crawl, at least early on. It's a physical crystal, so both you and your enemies can attack it and make it go off faster. Conversely, you can use it in narrow hallways to split groups and blow them up. It's a lot of fun.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sage Grimm posted:

Turning your wings on only makes you move 10% faster and takes a turn (and some MP!), so that's only really useful if you're going to be fleeing for at least 11 turns straight. Or, if you planned ahead enough to turn it on before the fight.

It also gives +20% EV!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'm really confused about when a vampire can and cannot use passwall. At the moment I can use it at near bloodless but earlier I couldn't use it part way through satiated.

NVM I was pressing my button for stoneskin, I figured this out about 1 second after posting.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don't think it's a good idea to go straight for battlesphere with TeCj. You don't have the charms aptitude to make it worth it. Focusing entirely on conjurations will add power to searing ray, which should be your main early game nuke, until you have enough MP and spellpower to use mystic blast reliably. After you can count on mystic blast to take out a dangerous enemy by itself, then I'd start working on battlesphere. You can absolutely pick up fulminant prism on the way. It's a great spell. I tend to emphasize it more on characters that are invested heavily in hexes and need a serious early-mid game nuke, but it does great work on any character that can cast it at decent power.

Tengu really benefit from investing heavily in a few schools and don't work as well if you spread your xp out across several types of spells. They are tend to be strongest as the old "reaver" type of character, with a strong focus on conjurations and one elemental school (air if you have chain lighting or CBL with rElec, else fire or ice depending on what you find) mixed with melee and without serious investment in utility magic. Deep elves are the caster race you want if you want to blow everything up with battlesphere and fulminant prism before D: 6 then be able to cast every utility spell, sling serious conjurations and shoot a longbow at mindelay by lair branches (and explode instantly if something so much as looks at you).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Dazzling Spray is actually great and got my deep elf wizard who found a book of maledictions most of lair.

Vampires should always be able to cast transmutations or turn into bats.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PleasingFungus posted:

Turning your wings on only makes you move 10% faster and takes a turn (and some MP!), so that's only really useful if you're going to be fleeing for at least 11 turns straight. Or, if you planned ahead enough to turn it on before the fight.

It also gives +20% EV!

That is the real trick to playing Tengus. As soon as you see something that looks even slightly threatening, start flying immediately. That boost to EV is great and if you got to run you have a slight advantage.

Normally I would skip over Prism and Battlesphere on a TeCj going Vehemut. While they are useful, Vehemut will more then likely give you better options (bolts and clouds specifically) and you want to have the spell levels to get those. Also Dazzling Spray is a great spell and you won't need any Hex for it with the massive Conjuration and Int you should have.

I normally turn on and never turn off Conjurations at the beginning with Spellcasting on passively till it hits about 8. The reason I only worry about Spellecasting to 8 is extra spell levels, hunger reduction, and quoting the leardb, "The first 8 matching levels of XL and skill give you 0.5 mp each, so XL 3 and Spellcasting 3 gives an extra 1.5 mp" so at 8 you get the full extra bonus of 4 MP on top of what you would have gained naturally. Afterwords passively raise Dodge, whatever element the spells you are using, or Fighting.

Do not use a weapon if going blaster caster unless it is for something like a, I don't know, rat or something. If you are meleeing you probably should have been running. Do pick up every randart weapon you find to see if you get one with awesome resists, +Int, or whatever that would boost your casting. Just remember not to ever swing it untrained and blow 2 turns or so. Either way, you should be looking for a Staff of (whatever spells you are using) or Energy.

Do not worry about Armour at all and put every Stat gain into Int. Wear either Troll Leather or a nice randart Ring Mail. Your defense is going to be that you can kill whatever comes into your LoS immediately with fire from the skies!

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 29, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Turning your wings on only makes you move 10% faster and takes a turn (and some MP!), so that's only really useful if you're going to be fleeing for at least 11 turns straight.

Which lets you get that critical one space away from anything normal, at the cost of taking a hit or two, so you can stairs without taking the foe with you. So it's actually useful even when you're too lazy to use it early! In the case of a Cj vs hydra, you're probably only going to blast it with IBS/IMB until it's one step away anyway, not risking it getting adjacent (2 steps if paranoid/safe). FR: make off-level enemies use the stairs if they saw you go up.

Fhqwhgads posted:

As a blasty TeCj do you just memorize all the starter spells in order or do you just go MM, Searing Ray, and jump to Battlesphere? I am terrible at blastercasters but TeCj sounded fun.

Memorise them all in order until you fancy yourself an expert at the class - there are often multiple reasonable ways to play a mage background (see WFW's and Heithinn's conflicting advice - both styles are very winnable even if I think Heithinn's is much stronger) but learning all the spells will never be a bad one. When you end up learning a Hex/Charm conjuration, get a few skill levels in that school, but no more than its spell level for a long time.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So, been awhile since I've played a simple Mintotaur Zerker, and frankly I'm a little lost.

Playing trunk.

I've done Lair, Orc, and all of the Dungeon. My branches are slime, spider, or shoals. I have an amulet of dismissal, and guardian spirit, and the rings on my fingers. I have a leather armor of MR+. I feel like my weapon is the only decently strong part of my equipment, but I also have a +13 flail of venom with Sinv and Str+4. I just don't know where I should go next. Normally I'd like to have rPois for Spider, and clarity for Shoal, and this guy isn't going into Slime at this point.

I suppose Vaults and Depths to try and get some extra equipment? I feel weak. Like things are dieing, but I'm suspicious I'm one wrong monster away from getting owned.
Also: aizul

I suspect this is fatally moot now, but one thing I would consider on "pro" level, but not really user-friendly is the Elven Halls. On one hand, you can end up dying extremely quickly, not even mentioning banishment. On the other hand, with moderate luck, caution, antimagic weaponry, and dig/disintegrate for excessive murderholing, I'd give you a roughly 50% chance of survival without even considering any other factors. So that is what I would do.

On a much more rational level, I'd suggest dipping into shoals with scrolls of fog and noise, wands of fire and lightning to help deal with mesmerize. I still think you look a little squishy, so I'd only dip in there for a little xp, and hopping back and forth between vaults or (very lightlty) depths, expecting to need to use bros in arms. If you gain a couple of levels of experience but run low on piety, then elf 1&2 make trog very happy. Your goal, as soon as you can safely do so, is to reach crypts so you have at least one more choice in case your path is blocked elsewhere.

Did aizul splat you?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure the new elven halls would have murdered that character anyways. Apparently the higher tier elves are much more common on the upper levels.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'm on a kick of HuWn of Ash and just going whatever path the background and floorgod provide, and it's pretty fun. Plus starting with a +2 weapon means I can fart around for a bit before committing to a weapon path.

I'd want someone to watch me play and let me know when I'm about to do dumb poo poo, but I think my issues tend to be from inefficient build choices. I'm really bad about focusing too much on defense on casters and offense on melee dudes I think.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Looking lightly over the changes to trunk re: orcish mines and elven halls, it looks like I really do need to switch over to trunk if I want even my basic advice to stay relevant, so, here I come.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I refuse to play trunk because they still haven't reverted the rMut changes.

And they are never going too. :negative:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm currently playing an offline version of trunk that I managed to pick up just before the amulet changes started happening.

Pretty happy about that.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I only play trunk versions when they sound less annoying (like after dying to a mimic or shadow traps, seeing the trunk version when those got nerfed)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darox posted:

I'm currently playing an offline version of trunk that I managed to pick up just before the amulet changes started happening.

Pretty happy about that.

Goddamn it I don't suppose that's an OS X Tiles version? No? :smith:

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Darox posted:

Pretty happy about that.

Internet Kraken posted:

I refuse to play trunk because they still haven't reverted the rMut changes.

And they are never going too. :negative:

Yeah I'll be honest, I know being a dev on your free time isn't easy, but I'm probably sitting this one out until the dust has settled with all the zany changes on trunk. I do like a bunch of other changes on trunk though, so hopefully at some point the pros will outweigh the cons. :shobon:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

LordSloth posted:

I suspect this is fatally moot now, but one thing I would consider on "pro" level, but not really user-friendly is the Elven Halls. On one hand, you can end up dying extremely quickly, not even mentioning banishment. On the other hand, with moderate luck, caution, antimagic weaponry, and dig/disintegrate for excessive murderholing, I'd give you a roughly 50% chance of survival without even considering any other factors. So that is what I would do.

On a much more rational level, I'd suggest dipping into shoals with scrolls of fog and noise, wands of fire and lightning to help deal with mesmerize. I still think you look a little squishy, so I'd only dip in there for a little xp, and hopping back and forth between vaults or (very lightlty) depths, expecting to need to use bros in arms. If you gain a couple of levels of experience but run low on piety, then elf 1&2 make trog very happy. Your goal, as soon as you can safely do so, is to reach crypts so you have at least one more choice in case your path is blocked elsewhere.

Did aizul splat you?

This was basically the same advice as what I was going to post, but isn't Vaults runelocked?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Huh. Why did I think you needed to train a spell by using it repeatedly to get its power up? Is spell power just a function of skills, Int, and relevant items? Why did I ever think otherwise?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You used to train skills by 'using' them way back when, which led to a lot of dumb behavior like not killing enemies so you could train armor/evasion.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

8 full revisions ago you had to victory dance to train

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Back when you couldn't train spellcasting until you reached level 1 by reading scrolls while you had xp in your xp bank.

e: On the other hand, resist slowing was still an amulet and berserk didn't exhaust you, so if you ignored the slow you could infinitely berserk. I'm pretty sure the bad amulet changes can be directly linked to when they replaced resistslow with stasis.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Arivia posted:

Goddamn it I don't suppose that's an OS X Tiles version? No? :smith:

It's pretty easy to clone the repo and build your own. I'm on holidays right now but when I get back next week I'll gladly build you whatever version you want if you don't know how to do it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

LordSloth posted:

Did aizul splat you?

Yep. But good advice you gave all the same. I've mostly been playing trunk to play Pakellas, but tried the zerker without switching versions. As for the character, Shoals was the right path to go. My decent throwing aptitude and collection of javelins/tomahawks were doing pretty well against sirens and the like. Then Aizul came around a corner while I was dealing with one of said sirens.

Ahh well, fun times.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What spells/God do you guys typically use for Enchanters?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ashenzari for overall skill boosts and knowing what's behind a wall or around a corner.
Dithmenos for doubling down on hexing chances, his stealth aura, and his escape options.
Kiku for an easy switch into Necromancy.
Okawaru for melee boosts when you can't rely on stabbing and his god gifts.
Nemelex to give you an alternative option when things go bad.
Sif for transitioning out of Hexes into other spell schools.

Basically anything except Trog (can't spellcast) or Qazlal (loads of noise when you're trying to be stealthy) are decent choices.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Someone said Deaths Door is a liability because something can just snipe you once it wears off.

I find that fear is totally unfounded.

Also, Zigs.png

fadam posted:

What spells/God do you guys typically use for Enchanters?

All the enchanter starting spells are good. Confuse is for anything that can't be slept/is dangerous to try sleeping in melee range, dance is for anyone being annoying with a polearm and anything that is harder to hex but has a weapon, corona stays relevant as a means of sInvis, and dazzling is okay I guess. I don't use dazzling as much.

If you mean hex spells beyond that invisibility is king and other useful tools are Gells, the aoe ice/hex slow thing, mass confusion

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Not My Leg posted:

This was basically the same advice as what I was going to post, but isn't Vaults runelocked?

Yes. My mistake, certainly.

ugh.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I first played this like a year ago, never made it past Lair. Picked it up again in the last couple weeks and...

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0 (tiles) character file.

9013815 Leathel the Annihilator (level 27, 199/199 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on Dec 26, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Dec 30, 2015!

The game lasted 14:01:46 (194400 turns).
I won first with a Hill Orc Fighter with 3 runes that just autoattacked everything to death, this caster had a nice start where about a dozen shops spawned over 2 levels of the dungeon, and after getting Bolt of Fire online everything was a joke. Bit of a shame I only got to floor 21 of a zigguat, as I evoked a crystal ball which drained all my mp and forced me to flee.

Nique
May 18, 2006

First ascension since starting playing again, but nothing much of interest happened. I didn't find any great items, just solid equipment, and I didn't have many close calls. I liked Ru a lot, though.

code:
1530906 Bryant the Axe Maniac (level 27, 240/266 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Fighter on Dec 22, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Ru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 23, 2015!

The game lasted 06:11:58 (100970 turns).
Decided to try for a caster / ranged ascension now, but i've been failing with casters so far. Enter OgAM:

code:
the +9 quarterstaff "Embalmer" {venom, rN++ Int-2 SInv Stlth+}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon)   
The dungeon wants me to win. I also found a nice randart resist ring at the top of lair.

code:
the +10 giant spiked club "Xiklu" (weapon) {drain, rElec}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 11 of the Dungeon) 
Oka REALLY wants me to win. Throwing rocks and swinging big clubs is the most fun.

In terms of skill training, what should i be aiming for with M&F and Throwing before I hybrid out and try to train up some magic schools.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I have a feeling I'm hopeless at this game. I keep getting to the point where I feel like I'm getting weaker compared to everything I fight by Lair:4 unless I specifically both choose easy mode poo poo like MiBe, SpEn, or the like and get good luck the first few floors. Playing Hu or DsWns and scumming only to avoid the 80% of starts with a dagger and one potion, I still feel like even when putting all my exp into weapon until 10-14 and then starting Fight/Armor/Dodge to give some breathing room I just run into a hydra or komodo dragon or elephant pack and either have to run away from more and more poo poo or try to fight and immediately die. Did melee accuracy get nerfed in the last couple updates? I'm running around with 14 weapon skill, a ~+3 weapon, and ~8 Fighting and miss a vast majority of my attacks unless I use a short blade or the like, even with stuff with nearly no EV.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sounds about right :P

E; by the time i reach d7 / d8 a thought automatically pops up and it is; "How am i going to kill the inevitable bunch of Hydras in Lair?"

As a caster it's something like, getting a bolt spell like ice bolt or w/e online and as melee it's usually wands of fire/cold/draining. Komodo dragons and elephants can be nasty but you should be able to melee them for a bit until you get into trouble.

What i tend to do a ton is; aggro some monsters, try taking out some of them, flee up stairs, exclude this stairs, go down a new set of stairs and repeat.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 30, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It's specifically Hydra's and Death Yaks that need special care imo. All the other poo poo you can poison-kite or smash over the head with a freezing weapon.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Arivia posted:

My most generic advice...
Damage Wands. Despite their high health, hydras have little defense ... And some solid MR. Wands of disintegrate and paralysis are of little use, but even weak throw frost/flame can do significant damage if you complement them with something more powerful, either drain/fire/cold, or a more powerful spell you simply don't have the MP and range to use every step. As long as you're not so unlucky to encounter them on Lair:1, then it is simply best to retreat up a staircase as mentioned until the situation is favorable. Sometimes spiny frogs, mambas, blink frogs are more frightening because of their speed, but the window where they're threatening is much shorter, and their vulnerabilities more plentiful.

Edit: Okay, even if the mobile forum app is awesome, it doesn't help me notice that someone already said what I just bothered to type out on a phone.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 30, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Note that another viable answer to death yaks and hydras is Run Away. Unless you get Swamp and you can't deal with the Poison branch, you can just put off the answer to them until they become popcorn by sheer out leveling.

Considering that death yaks and hydras are usually the most lethal things, it really helps improve your survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
On online play, trunk is before .17 in the list. Does that mean current trunk is pre .17?

• Locked thread