Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

"When another colorless creature enter in battlefield you can change the basic power and toughtness from Mimic Eldrazi for the power and toughtness from that creature until the end turn"

"Is coherent incoherent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
English version of this card

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Immolating Glare has got to be Standard playable right? And that promo looks great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bugsy posted:

"When another colorless creature enter in battlefield you can change the basic power and toughtness from Mimic Eldrazi for the power and toughtness from that creature until the end turn"

"Is coherent incoherent"

I'm guessing that it's actually "i(t)s coherently incoherent"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

English version of this card

Affinity wants this card I assume. Probably tron too, although I don't know how tight the land slots are.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Jori En really makes me want to splash red in Merfolk, as bad as that is.

Like it's a horrible idea but I really want to try that horrible idea. You know, because casting spells in Merfolk isn't a thing after so long and Aether Vial isn't casting.

You can cast it with Cavern of Souls so you at least don't have to dilute your mana base for it? :shobon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bugsy posted:

"Is coherent incoherent"

I like this card a lot.
Also, if the flavor text is actually "It's coherently incoherent." then bravo to wizards because that's good flavor text.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 29, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hellbent draw card is almost certainly too slow for affinity.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Affinity wants this card I assume. Probably tron too, although I don't know how tight the land slots are.

Tron has exactly one flex land slot and this isn't better than a second Ghost Quarter/Basic Forest or a Llanowar Wastes to enable a black sideboard splash (the normal build of R/G tron only has 20 actual land cards in it: 12 tron pieces, 4 groves, eye of ugin, basic forest, ghost quarter and one flex). If Tron's managed to empty its hand it has either won, lost or has Eye of Ugin and the mana for it on the table for much better card advantage than Sea Gate Wreckage

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I like this card a lot.

It does seem like a really solid card. My only question does it die to hangarback coming into play?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

It does seem like a really solid card. My only question does it die to hangarback coming into play?

Given the translated text says "you can" I think it's a may effect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Optional either way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zoness posted:

Hellbent draw card is almost certainly too slow for affinity.

How is it too slow? With drum, mox, and its knack of having an empty hand, the last thing I thought I would hear is "slow".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bugsy posted:

"Is coherent incoherent"

It only triggers if the second colorless creature enters under your control.

(Why's the translation back to English so broken? Neither the Spanish text nor the usual English templating says "enter in battlefield".)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

How is it too slow? With drum, mox, and its knack of having an empty hand, the last thing I thought I would hear is "slow".

In my experience Affinity often has more trouble going from 1 or 2 to 0 cards than it does going from 7 to 2 cards. Those last couple of cards are often an extra land or a pair of two drops that are great, but will take two more full turns to put on the table

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sickening posted:

The text has a "puedes", so it's an optional effect.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

I haven't played affinity but I suspect the issue is that a lot of the time you'd rather activate some manlands. I'd still try out at least 2, I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being not good enough.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It only triggers if the second colorless creature enters under your control.

(Why's the translation back to English so broken? Neither the Spanish text nor the usual English templating says "enter in battlefield".)

I can't even read Spanish and I was still able to find "enters the battlefield" in that textbox.

(Okay fine I can read some French and that help, but still)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

UberJew posted:

In my experience Affinity often has more trouble going from 1 or 2 to 0 cards than it does going from 7 to 2 cards. Those last couple of cards are often an extra land or a pair of two drops that are great, but will take two more full turns to put on the table

My thoughts were unless the lands were tight having it as a one of would have no downside in affinity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What does "Crumbling Vestige is a card many players have wanted for a while." mean? The commander crowd?

(I keep seeing a withered Christmas tree)

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

I can't even read Spanish and I was still able to find "enters the battlefield" in that textbox.

(Okay fine I can read some French and that help, but still)

I know the clause is there, I just want to know why the English translation words it so badly. The spanish text of that clause is "entre al campo de batalla" -- literally "enters to the battlefield", obviously best translated as "enters the battlefield". Then why does the given English translation say "enter in battlefield"? It's not like the spanish text says "entre en".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I know the clause is there, I just want to know why the English translation words it so badly. The spanish text of that clause is "entre al campo de batalla" -- literally "enters to the battlefield", obviously best translated as "enters the battlefield". Then why does the given English translation say "enter in battlefield"? It's not like the spanish text says "entre en".

Oh, fair enough. I'd say it's probably due to good old fashioned incompetence, the same reason it says "P&T from that creature."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

What does "Crumbling Vestige is a card many players have wanted for a while." mean? The commander crowd?

(I keep seeing a withered Christmas tree)

It's kind of the standard "If I could design my own land, I'd make..." card. It's a very obvious design that has never been printed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

My thoughts were unless the lands were tight having it as a one of would have no downside in affinity.

They run 16; blinkmoth, inkmoth, glimmervoid and darksteel citadel, sometimes with a 17th for a single basic

It's even tighter than tron really

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

It's a land that can't attack, enable metalcraft, or provide colors. Those are the roles that affinity has for its lands. Post-board the deck is racing against the bevy of hate cards in the format. It doesn't matter how many cards you draw when your opponent can play 1-2 spells that shut down most of your deck. Not to mention your manlands tend to be the mana sink for the deck after your hand's been emptied or that you often need to hold a relevant spell or two.

A land that isn't online until turn 3 or turn 4 is by definition too slow. It's possible that there could be a more controlling value based version of affinity but this land wouldn't really help affinity deal with the primary weakness the deck has (i.e. most of the deck being dead against a few sb cards).

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Bugsy posted:

"Is coherent incoherent"

Eldrazi Mimic

When another colorless creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may change Eldrazi Mimic's base power and toughness to the power and toughness of that creature until end of turn.

"It's coherently incoherent."

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I like that the art mirrors the original Oran Rief

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 29, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Because someone ran it through Google translate and was too lazy to clean it up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh have a picture of eternal pilgrim that doesn't cover up the name

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

suicidesteve posted:

Because someone ran it through Google translate and was too lazy to clean it up.

That's the thing -- since "en" isn't in the original text, Google translate doesn't put "in" in the english text there. It's wrong in a very distinct way from automated translations. Google translate also doesn't drop the "under your control" clause for no reason.

(Not that Google translate is any better: "Colorless Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you can change the strength and the base of Mimico eldrazi resistance to the strength and endurance of that creature until end of turn.")

:spergin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

it's entirely possible whoever translated it just doesn't have the best grasp of english or you know, it's a typo

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's entirely possible whoever translated it just doesn't have the best grasp of english or you know, it's a typo

unacceptable

unacceptable

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

unacceptable

unacceptable

I'm really glad I don't get this mad (ironically or not) over how bad most Japanese to English translations are.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it's unacceptably acceptable

also, there is no way a card that lets you draw a card if you're hellbent for 4 mana is good enough for affinity; even if you have the mana to activate it that's your whole turn, and you can't afford to be not attacking with manlands

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

UberJew posted:

They run 16; blinkmoth, inkmoth, glimmervoid and darksteel citadel, sometimes with a 17th for a single basic

It's even tighter than tron really

Usually the build is 4 inkmoth, 4 blinkmoth, 4 citadel, 3 glimmervoid, 1 basic. 17 land lists will add the 4th glimmervoid. The deck runs very light on lands due to springleaf and mox opal, having more mana sources that are artifacts are important. To get that draw card in, you'd need to either bump up to 17 lands keeping the 4/4/4/3/1 or possibly cut the basic land. It can be done, and I'm sure it will be tested. It is probably better than the 1-2 thoughtcasts some builds run.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I feel like that land is only better then thoughtcast if you go towards a less colored build of affinity, which is prob not gonna happen since galvanic blast is good enough to encourage having colored mana sources anyway so hey thoughtcast is a fine splash too

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Bugsy posted:

"Is coherent incoherent"

This feels hilariously abusable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alris posted:

This feels hilariously abusable.

How?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
No idea. I've just got this... feeling, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Phyrexian Dreadnought.

• Locked thread