Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

the actual insane part is that chuunibyou made the top 10

Yeah lol, but 10 ish votes really isn't that high a bar if people were just posting a top 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

only 5 votes for lucky star :ughh:

Unfounded anti-Haruhi-ism backlash, IMO. Not that I was reading the forum during this period but I have to imagine that's the case.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's not even a Gatchaman page??!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Srice posted:

I think with that year's poll it happened because all votes in a person's top 5 are given equal weight so it was rarely a first choice but a very frequent 4th or 5th
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I think it would be very interesting to see previous years have their votes re-weighted, but that one especially.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wasn't My Neighbor Seki the dumb five minute show about the kid who threw spitballs at the girl sitting next to him? That tied Bahamut?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seki is good and funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kater posted:

Wasn't My Neighbor Seki the dumb five minute show about the kid who threw spitballs at the girl sitting next to him? That tied Bahamut?

Yeah. Can't believe Bahamut got that much support, lol.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the seki manga is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a kitten posted:

There's not even a Gatchaman page??!

I don't think anybody maintains the Animated Death Tentacle Rape Warehouse Wiki.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My list had Gatchaman, Kyousougiga and Yozakura Quartet, making it the Best List. :colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In Training posted:

I don't think anybody maintains the Animated Death Tentacle Rape Warehouse Wiki.

It seems to come and go in waves.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i wish i could have been there for the live chuunibyou s2 reactions

it's the first kyoani show i've just straight-up dropped

They weren't very exciting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

They weren't very exciting

Nobody was watching because all the sane people gave up 2 episodes into season 1.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There seemed to be a shitload of votes for Shin Sekai Yori, but it still didn't make the top ten. And too many votes for Inferno Cop. I mean, it was funny and all, but are you ever gonna actually re-watch or think about it?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Nobody was watching because all the sane people gave up 2 episodes into season 1.

Season 1 was good. I prob voted it for anime of the year of whatever year it aired

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

There seemed to be a shitload of votes for Shin Sekai Yori, but it still didn't make the top ten. And too many votes for Inferno Cop. I mean, it was funny and all, but are you ever gonna actually re-watch or think about it?

I think about inferno cop all the time, you see tons of the same kind of animation saving techniques even in really good anime.

But yea, everyone putting that on their end of the year list was kind of a weird hostile thing. I'm not sure if they genuinely liked it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Inferno cop was heavily promoted by zorak and goons jumped on it as like the best comedy of all time. See: The Devil is a Part Timer for other examples of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I will never understand the insane popularity of Devil is a Part-Timer that was expressed in this forum
zorak didn't allow anyone to like things that weren't happily bland

Namtab posted:

Inferno cop was heavily promoted by zorak and goons jumped on it as like the best comedy of all time. See: The Devil is a Part Timer for other examples of that.
inferno cop owned, however

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

inferno cop owned, however

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Inferno cop was pretty funny and I liked it. them doing basically the same thing with worse jokes in Ninja Slayer From was disappointing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

Inferno cop was pretty funny and I liked it. them doing basically the same thing with worse jokes in Ninja Slayer From was disappointing
yeah, but dragon had big boobs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ninja slayer wasn't really inferno cop 2. it was a mix of inferno cop and, gently caress, i don't even know it changed what it was doing so many times but the ninja girl was cute and so was nancy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninja slayer was a mix of inferno cop and trigger being a pretty incompetent studio

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

ninja slayer wasn't really inferno cop 2. it was a mix of inferno cop and, gently caress, i don't even know it changed what it was doing so many times but the ninja girl was cute and so was nancy

I only watched the first episode. Never saw a Ninja Girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like some episodes of ninja slayer were serious character drama played totally straight and i actually really liked some of those ones. then one of them was the episode about the crab ninja, and the scientist who then grafted the dead crab ninja's hand to his arm. and pretty much the entire episode was bondage fanservice, and not really any other episode quite approached that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno i like ninja slayer for what it is, when it was fun it was really cool and fun, but there were also times where i would not blame someone for not really liking it at all

actually i never really finished watching it. maybe i should, i want to see if the cute ninja girl turns good again. if she doesn't, gently caress that, it's poo poo!!!

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

1. Oregairu Zoku - I'm fairly new to the anime scene, but I've never come across a show that has forced me to think and analyze so much. The story, themes, and characters are very well written. It was interesting to read people's interpretations of characters, scenes, interactions, analyses of episodes, etc..

Oh my god I somehow missed that My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! was a 2015 show. I may need to amend my top five list.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Notice the lack of Gatchaman Crowds on that list. I think folks were more likely to put something easy to like but not that exciting over something interesting. Also:

Not that I would have put it in my 2013 Top 5 anyways, but IIRC Gatchaman Crowds lost a bunch of votes due solely to Utsutsu's costume design.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah. Can't believe Bahamut got that much support, lol.

A tough but fair analysis.

Seki owned, and everybody loves scrambled eggs. :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AnacondaHL posted:

Not that I would have put it in my 2013 Top 5 anyways, but IIRC Gatchaman Crowds lost a bunch of votes due solely to Utsutsu's costume design.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Unfounded anti-Haruhi-ism backlash, IMO. Not that I was reading the forum during this period but I have to imagine that's the case.

Could be. I'd bet it's more like following the "three episode rule" as if it were gospel, and those early eps didn't do LS any favors.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The three episode 'rule' plus 'never talk about a show in the season thread past episode three', mean that a show with a weak beginning has no chance to recover.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A lot of people got bent out of shape about the artstyle and OP of Lucky Star, which combined with the slowish first couple of episodes meant it never really seemed to take off despite being one of the better shows that year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first 12 minutes of Lucky Star where they talk about eating chocolate cornets is epic.

In Training fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 29, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

The first 12 minutes of Lucky Star where they talk about eating chocolate eclairs is epic.

I laughed at the sheer audacity of starting a show that way, but holy poo poo a lot of people just HATED that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The three episode 'rule' plus 'never talk about a show in the season thread past episode three', mean that a show with a weak beginning has no chance to recover.

had

that is not a rule now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

The first 12 minutes of Lucky Star where they talk about eating chocolate eclairs is epic.

cornet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress! I'll edit my post.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

had

that is not a rule now

yeah, had. which is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

also i really liked lucky star from the beginning.

• Locked thread