Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Well, right now 2x XP is going on so the progression rate will not be quite as fast once it's over in January. It's still much faster than at launch though. The normal, non-2x XP, rate allows you to level with just class story plus either planetary quests, heroics, flashpoints, ops, or PVP. The "correct" progression rate is class quests + planetary quests.

Yeah, but Steve2911 is saying he doesn't have time, and I'm saying right now is the perfect time, at least to get used to the new mechanics.

I'm really tempted to level an alt at the same time, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Honestly this game is the least time committing game I've ever played. Not only is leveling stupid easy and fast, even without double XP, but unless you're doing something that requires absolute focus, you can watch a movie or listen to music while playing.

I started playing a few other games over the last few weeks and I end up going back to play SWTOR later at night since I don't feel like dedicating all of my attention to one game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Where's everyone getting stuff about a 2x exp weekend? The launcher and site just have the same old "SUB FOR HK REWARDS" it's had for a month now. Is it double exp for story-only missions, i.e. like the x12 rates we had in the past?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pierson posted:

Where's everyone getting stuff about a 2x exp weekend? The launcher and site just have the same old "SUB FOR HK REWARDS" it's had for a month now. Is it double exp for story-only missions, i.e. like the x12 rates we had in the past?

It's double XP for everything until January 5th1st. When you're logged in, you'll see a little "double XP" thingie on the XP bar.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pierson posted:

Double XP for EVERYTHING until Friday. It was announced on their site but you can also see it by hovering over your XP bar.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

prefect posted:

It's double XP for everything until January 5th. When you're logged in, you'll see a little "double XP" thingie on the XP bar.

Until January 1st for double XP. January 5th is the end of the Life Day event.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/old-republic-december

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hulk Smash! posted:

The "correct" progression rate is class quests + planetary quests.

Planetary quests being the 'collect 20 wampa ears' sort of thing? I'll give it a go though and see how far doing just the good story stuff plus the occasional bad quest gets me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

Until January 1st for double XP. January 5th is the end of the Life Day event.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/old-republic-december

I edited my post! :mad:

(Sorry; my bad. :shobon:)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Planetary quests being the 'collect 20 wampa ears' sort of thing? I'll give it a go though and see how far doing just the good story stuff plus the occasional bad quest gets me.

No, "Plantary quests" refer to the generic story quests for each planet.

Each planet has two storylines, basically; there's your class quests, which are unique to your class, but there's also a planetary storyline, which is the same for all classes, but is more interesting than just "collect bear asses because a guy said to"; there's a series of them on each planet, and they help to world-build a little. They're worth doing at least once. I believe they're marked in purple now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Each planet has two storylines, basically; there's your class quests, which are unique to your class, but there's also a planetary storyline, which is the same for all classes, but is more interesting than just "collect bear asses because a guy said to"; there's a series of them on each planet, and they help to world-build a little. They're worth doing at least once. I believe they're marked in purple now.

Awesome, thanks. I'll start a new character and see how I'm doing in a week or two before resubbing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ainsley McTree posted:

They are basically glowing in purple -- they seem to be larger than normal quest markers. It's almost impossible to miss them. Although some of the flashpoints also get the giant purple icons, which has tricked me into talking to NPCs a few times. :argh:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

What's the deal with the "Bonus" series on the planets? I did the one for Balmorra and it basically tied up the resistance war without actually adding much story to it. Are they all like that, or do any of them actually add additional story beyond the purple chain?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wilekat posted:

What's the deal with the "Bonus" series on the planets? I did the one for Balmorra and it basically tied up the resistance war without actually adding much story to it. Are they all like that, or do any of them actually add additional story beyond the purple chain?

Back when you had to do every quest to keep leveling at the right pace, bonus series were basically the game giving you a giant middle finger. "I'm done here; time to go to my ship and get to the next stage of my class quest!" and then BAM you get hosed over into needing to hang around on Taris or Tattooiinnee longer. :argh:

There's some story there, but not a whole lot of it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, the page http://www.swtor.com/free/features is giving me a 404. Does anyone know the exact benefits of subbing, or is it listed anywhere else on the site?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay so the double XP allowed all my guys chillin' at 50 post-vanilla story to get two levels out of all the companion convos I guess 4.0 unlocked? It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out where I'm supposed to summon companions from now, but what I still can't figure out is why none of my companions have pants or shoes when they're on the ship.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay so the double XP allowed all my guys chillin' at 50 post-vanilla story to get two levels out of all the companion convos I guess 4.0 unlocked? It took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out where I'm supposed to summon companions from now, but what I still can't figure out is why none of my companions have pants or shoes when they're on the ship.

Their pants are either in your inventory or in your mailbox.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Solarflare posted:

Has anyone else experienced a delay when trying to buy the Outlander pack off Origin? They're telling me it could take up to 48 hours which is ridiculous considering it's just a code, presumably.

The first one I got took about an hour, the one I got for a friend took nearly 72 hours. I don't know what the deal is with them, but it's a crapshoot as to when you actually get it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

Huh, the page http://www.swtor.com/free/features is giving me a 404. Does anyone know the exact benefits of subbing, or is it listed anywhere else on the site?
it's a long list but the big bullet-points are 20% (I think) extra experience from all sources, unlimited access to flashpoints and operations (dungeons and raids) and extra rewards from quests, of which the most important is gear boxes from Heroic quests that are the easiest way to keep current while levelling. There's also a monthly stipend of 500 cartel coins, as well as extra stuff like cosmetic slots and options and extra action bars.

edit; and the ability to equipment purple items at all, whoops

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 29, 2015

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Midnightghoul posted:

The first one I got took about an hour, the one I got for a friend took nearly 72 hours. I don't know what the deal is with them, but it's a crapshoot as to when you actually get it.
When I tried getting it with my credit card, it kept failing outright. Switched it to paypal and the order went right through, and I got the code immediately in my order history.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I kind of miss having companions on my ship tbh.

Now the rare times I actually find myself having to actually fly somewhere directly it is too spooky and sad.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Medullah posted:

There is, where do you think you get the title Worm Food

Bahahaha! Thank you. I might never have noticed

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Berke Negri posted:

Now the rare times I actually find myself having to actually fly somewhere directly it is too spooky and sad.

I like it; it feels appropriate, since the galaxy is all hosed up thanks to Lispy McHalf-Face.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

:agreed:

I wish they'd at least crew it with some generic NPCs beep booping on the consoles or something.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Did they drop Preferred status? I played this a bit months ago and had preferred status; now I'm back to Free to Play with characters that are much lower level than I remember.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DoubleDonut posted:

Did they drop Preferred status? I played this a bit months ago and had preferred status; now I'm back to Free to Play with characters that are much lower level than I remember.

Once you are preferred you stay preferred. Are you sure you're looking at the right server?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It says it's the only server I've got characters on, and I'm pretty sure I don't have another account.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DoubleDonut posted:

It says it's the only server I've got characters on, and I'm pretty sure I don't have another account.

Then open a ticket. If you're free to play or preferred you'll have to call.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Right now it's entirely reasonable to go from 1-60 in maybe a week of extremely casual play, so it's not the massive time investment you might think it is.

For ballpark estimating purposes I just did a smuggler from creation to end of chapter 3 all during this double XP and my /played was 1 day and 8 hours or so. Ended up at level 56. I think I did 2 flashpoints, 2 war zones and the rest was class and companion quests.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

DoubleDonut posted:

Pop around checking the other servers, I'm pretty sure my list was borked and didn't show the right number of characters at first when I came back the first time after server merges.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
This game still holds up really well but...where are my ops pants Mako!?!??

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=465540

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DeadGame posted:

This game still holds up really well but...where are my ops pants Mako!?!??

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=465540

I have the pink-screen-of-death bug, so I had to disable my second monitor. That's apparently ALSO been around just as long.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have the pink-screen-of-death bug, so I had to disable my second monitor. That's apparently ALSO been around just as long.

This reminds me that I want to bitch and complain into the void how loving ghastly it is that EA torpedoed the tech support forum on swtor.com and offloaded it to their own lovely self service support website.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If anyone gets the blue screen of death while cruising around alderaan, taris, voss, belsavis, etc on a flight path or mount - turning grass down to 0 seems to avoid it for now. Some kind of issue with new nvidia drivers conflicting with direct x and windows 10 or something. You can either do some driver rollback wizardry until they fix it or just turn the grass off in the settings for a no-brainer bandaid. Worked for me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't use Windows 10.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

bagrada posted:

If anyone gets the blue screen of death while cruising around alderaan, taris, voss, belsavis, etc on a flight path or mount - turning grass down to 0 seems to avoid it for now. Some kind of issue with new nvidia drivers conflicting with direct x and windows 10 or something. You can either do some driver rollback wizardry until they fix it or just turn the grass off in the settings for a no-brainer bandaid. Worked for me.

Happened to me mid-flight on a taxi on voss and I had to reboot my PC. Interestingly, my character was still mid-flight to his destination when I re-entered the game a few minutes later. I would've thought it would revert me back to the starting point.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Why are all my spaceships haunted by explosions? it's most disconcerting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hulk Smash! posted:

Happened to me mid-flight on a taxi on voss and I had to reboot my PC. Interestingly, my character was still mid-flight to his destination when I re-entered the game a few minutes later. I would've thought it would revert me back to the starting point.

Typically when that happens I'm kicked to the start, but the other night it happened to my smuggler on alderaan, I logged back in and after about ten minutes my character was frozen in place. So I logged out and back in, and he resumed his speeder ride from like fifteen minutes before.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wilekat posted:

This is apparently a known issue and thought to be because people on other instances of a ship are opening cartel packs and you're hearing it

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Wilekat posted:

I first noticed it on my Inquisitor and just assumed it was Khem Val throwing things around to blow off steam, but I guess it's some kind of mysterious bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Medullah posted:

This is apparently a known issue and thought to be because people on other instances of a ship are opening cartel packs and you're hearing it

Ah, so the multiverse is falling apart

• Locked thread