Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
last night. Was coming around a dark ~45 degree corner at speed when I spotted three things :

(A) a ballcap lying just after the apex of the curve, the in my lane, right near the centerline

(B) a Person, dressed in non-reflective clothing, walking towards the corner, in my lane, ostensibly to retrieve said ballcap

(C) a motor-scooter, stopped (parked) at the end of the curve, in my lane, no lights or flashers going

went wide so as to miss the person and scooter but in doing so made certain to put two wheels over the cap

flip me off if you want, motherfucker. I just saved your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

El Jebus posted:

I once drove from San Antonio to Portland in a moving truck and my dog spent the entire first half of the trip in the passenger seat. Then I picked up my wife in Denver and the dog moved to the floor between us. Then she figured out she could share the seat with my wife by climbing into her lap and laying down, still able to sniff out the window.

Then she tried it on my lap.

45lbs of unpredictable chow/heeler wasn't a distraction :colbert:

Is that a Rapids shirt?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

GutBomb posted:

Is that a Rapids shirt?

Germany away. From 3 world cups back, I think.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a bunch of small dumb, low speed accidents today because we got ice rain in the morning for awhile. Gee, I think I will wait till i'm about 10 feet away to start braking at stop signs and red lights. I GOT SNOW TIRES :downs:

Winter, now that it has started, is going to suck.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/jTriOwS.gifv

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lime Tonics posted:

I saw a bunch of small dumb, low speed accidents today because we got ice rain in the morning for awhile. Gee, I think I will wait till i'm about 10 feet away to start braking at stop signs and red lights. I GOT SNOW TIRES :downs:

Winter, now that it has started, is going to suck.

Can't count how many cars were going too fast today during the snow and sliding through stop lights/signs. Saw a guy slide through a 4 way intersection by my job and spin into a ditch, and surprise, he was driving a 4WD SUV :downs:

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
It still isn't cold enough where I am to enjoy the annual Mustangs On Ice show :(

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

Saw a guy slide through a 4 way intersection by my job and spin into a ditch, and surprise, he was driving a 4WD SUV

This is my first winter driving an AWD vehicle (4-motion VW) and I'm finding it's every bit as squirrely as FWD on unplowed snow and ice. Sure, there's a lot less 'spinspinspinspin aaaaaaaand maybe some grip' feathering the throttle from a stoplight - the thing just gets up and goes - but doing anything other than accelerating in a straight line is just the same.

I now understand the fallacy behind 4wd being all you need to handle the snow safely. The driver puts acceleration to the test time after time and gets good feedback, and infers that cornering and braking will be just as fine. The thing is, when you put either of the last two to thr test, and the results aren't so good, good chance you're in trouble and won't get anothet shot at it.

I've got to get some dedicated snow tires to replace these all-seasons, I had a set for a car I had 10 years ago and it felt like going from bowling shoes to soccer cleats.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

From the annals of "What did you think was going to happen? :confused:"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

buttcrackmenace posted:

last night. Was coming around a dark ~45 degree corner at speed when I spotted three things :

(A) a ballcap lying just after the apex of the curve, the in my lane, right near the centerline

(B) a Person, dressed in non-reflective clothing, walking towards the corner, in my lane, ostensibly to retrieve said ballcap

(C) a motor-scooter, stopped (parked) at the end of the curve, in my lane, no lights or flashers going

went wide so as to miss the person and scooter but in doing so made certain to put two wheels over the cap

flip me off if you want, motherfucker. I just saved your life.

Typical goon interaction, destroys your property for 'your own good', expects praise for it. Meanwhile I'm sure you got thru to the scooter dude, and next time he will do everything that you expect of him because you magically transferred that knowledge to him when you ran over his cap.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Typical goon interaction, destroys your property for 'your own good', expects praise for it. Meanwhile I'm sure you got thru to the scooter dude, and next time he will do everything that you expect of him because you magically transferred that knowledge to him when you ran over his cap.

blind corner, no streetlights, late at night on a Sunday, leaving an area where drinking is a Thing

guarantee that if a Jeep full of tourists-with-they-buzz-on came around that corner at speed the only thing surviving that encounter would be the hat

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

nsaP posted:

You're making it sound like he ran over someone's Pomeranian...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Deedle posted:

You're making it sound like he ran over someone's Pomeranian...

Is that before or after it freaked out, clawed the owner in the balls and caused the driver to run over a toddler? :v:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

ratbert90 posted:

Is that before or after it freaked out, clawed the owner in the balls and caused the driver to run over a toddler? :v:
During

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I should make more videos of my dog being a distraction.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

I should make more videos of my dog being a distraction.

Yes, please make more videos while driving. Hopefully near a faulty guard rail.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Having the phone in the cup holder is also a major distraction.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

Not enough hashtags

Standard Wrangler owner post.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Why are people who are obsessed with zombies such utter dweebs?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because only a dweeb would be obsessed with a fantasy monster.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Last night I was on the highway, just me and one other car as far as the eye can see, both of us in the left lane, me approaching from behind. They make no sign of changing lanes, so from about 10 seconds out I give them a quick flash of my high beams to say hey, I'm here, please excuse me.

Nothing.

Get a bit closer, a few seconds later, another flash. They tap their brakes.

3 car lengths back, they're still doing about 60, I flash my high again, they stand on their brake and come to a near stop, I pass them quickly on the right. They finally change lanes to the right lane.

To ride my rear end.

With their high beams on.

Laying on the horn.

What a night to pick to drive instead of my two wheeled jet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The other day, I'm on a stretch of road where there are three left turn lanes, and people almost always merge at the last minute. Knowing this, I left a car's length in front of me, knowing someone will want to merge.

Someone did. A lady in a Subaru right next to me. But instead of accelerating and going in the space in front of me, she just puts her blinker on and starts merging. She gets about an inch away from my car - as I'm laying on the horn - before realizing she's the one getting honked at.

She never even looked over once. :stonk:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PCOS Bill posted:

Last night I was on the highway, just me and one other car as far as the eye can see, both of us in the left lane, me approaching from behind. They make no sign of changing lanes, so from about 10 seconds out I give them a quick flash of my high beams to say hey, I'm here, please excuse me.

Nothing.

3 car lengths back, they're still doing about 60, I flash my high again, they stand on their brake and come to a near stop, I pass them quickly on the right. They finally change lanes to the right lane.

To ride my rear end.

Laying on the horn.

What sucks is that's the part where I'd be a dumbass and floor it to just get away from them, and then I'd get a ticket.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was only ~1.5 mile from my exit so I didn't have to put up with it for long, and they were smart enough to not follow someone off the highway.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PCOS Bill posted:

Nothing.

To ride my rear end.

Laying on the horn.

Why even do any of that? Just quietly pass them in the right lane and cruise on. I generally just live in the right lane and sail past everyone who's in their favorite lane. Cautiously of course, with my cat meowing out the drivers side window.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because passing on the right makes you turn into Hitler.. even if the reason you're doing it is because someone else is a moron.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Making life more difficult for yourself is literally what being a goon is all about

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Why even do any of that? Just quietly pass them in the right lane and cruise on. I generally just live in the right lane and sail past everyone who's in their favorite lane. Cautiously of course, with my cat meowing out the drivers side window.
Seriously. Flashing lights at a car instead of performing a simple passing maneuver is rather selfish and obnoxious. No surprise that other selfish and obnoxious driver took it as a grave insult/challenge/invitation.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Passing on the right is illegal in many jurisdictions, as is cruising in the left lane and not getting over when you are slowing down other traffic.

But goons are going to be weird and recommend doing the illegal and usually more dangerous thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oh no a ticket for passing on the right

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Flashing your highs at someone else on the road seems like it would never be the safe option, people are crazy. Quietly pass on the right.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I will happily be that guy cruising along in lane 1, passing the clown sat in lane 3/4 and braking for every camera gantry. To my mind just staying in my lane is safer than crossing 3 lanes, overtaking and then crossing straight back to lane 1.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So why were you driving in the left lane when there are no other cars on the road?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

go3 posted:

Oh no a ticket for passing on the right

Around here, not keeping right is a ~$150 fine, while passing on the right is a ~$300 fine and a mark on your license (if you get 3 marks within 3 years, you'll have to retake it, to the tune of ~$750).

So yeah, stop loving around in the left lane if you're not actively passing anyone.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cage posted:

Flashing your highs at someone else on the road seems like it would never be the safe option, people are crazy. Quietly pass on the right.

Until that person sees you coming one day and actually moves over, sees that you already moved and starts to move back at the same time as you do. You get to hit the brakes or play a dangerous highway dodging game, or you can follow the prescribed procedure for passing. Hmm, difficult choice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cage posted:

Honestly if flashing your highbeams at someone is enough to set them off on a homicidal rage then there probably isn't much that they won't take offense to, and quietly passing on the right is just as likely to set them off as flashing to pass.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

xergm posted:

Part of hopes they did leave the county, and they get caught at customs in a country with an extradition treaty. Deportation to stand trial would be just what this story needs. :unsmigghh:

Called it!

Affluenza kid was detained in Mexico and is being shipped back to the US.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/28/us/mexico-affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained/index.html

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EightBit posted:

Passing on the right is illegal in many jurisdictions, as is cruising in the left lane and not getting over when you are slowing down other traffic.

But goons are going to be weird and recommend doing the illegal and usually more dangerous thing.

Which one is more dangerous - undertaking an inattentive idiot or getting said idiot upset to the point of road-rageyness by flashing your high beams at him/her?

KozmoNaut posted:

Around here, not keeping right is a ~$150 fine, while passing on the right is a ~$300 fine and a mark on your license (if you get 3 marks within 3 years, you'll have to retake it, to the tune of ~$750).

So yeah, stop loving around in the left lane if you're not actively passing anyone.

Sounds like your local jurisdiction has its priorities hosed up. It should be the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can already hear the lawyers at the trial.

"This child did not know that probation meant he couldn't leave the country, he's so rich he thought the entire planet was his home and therefore it was within limits."