Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phone posted:

I thought about posting this last night, but thought against it. However, I think it's fairly entertaining and is on topic as anything else is in this thread. :v:

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/681560268619558912

I mean, Luke and Rey are both "heroes" with supernatural abilities, so if you go by the dictionary definition, sure. But generally we understand that "superhero movies" is code for "comic book superheroes" not just "a hero with powers."

I love semantic slapfights like this, nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Beatles are overrated and The Beach Boys were better

gently caress with me

Brian Wilson is, in my opinion, the greatest songwriter of that generation; with Lennon and/or McCartney following closely behind.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Beach Boys were tremendously repetetive.

All better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

beatlegs posted:

True, but old people have perspective. If your formative years are spent in a poisonous culture it's understandable for you to think there's not that much wrong. Plus, there's some good shows on streaming services so chill gramps!

I guess my point is, even though things aren't as bad as they could be, and things are getting better in some ways, we are currently regressing culturally and politically. That wasn't always the case

*citation needed*

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like Breitbart and its ilk are pretty much trail blazing at this point. "Traditional" RWM will quickly follow suit unless we see a sudden implosion and backlash against tea party extremism. And I don't see that happening without an open revolt from "moderate" conservatives, especially ones in the media and in office.

*Moderate in this case being less insane.

It's not really different, but it's definitely more raw. They've done a great job at pulling in all of the various reactionary grievance groups that have started to form over the last few years, such as gamergate/MRA/anti-feminists, Trump's nativist bloc, and the (not-so) ironic brazen internet racists. They're identifying the 'enemy' groups in ways that the more mainstream conservative outlets are hesitant to be so open about and is bordering on outright fascism.

If I had to boil it down to one line, mainstream conservative outlets like Fox push a narrative where it's unacceptable for liberals to win, while Breitbart pushes a narrative where it's unacceptable that liberals and out-groups exist. Oh and they're growing very rapidly

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

It's not really different, but it's definitely more raw. They've done a great job at pulling in all of the various reactionary grievance groups that have started to form over the last few years, such as gamergate/MRA/anti-feminists, Trump's nativist bloc, and the (not-so) ironic brazen internet racists. They're identifying the 'enemy' groups in ways that the more mainstream conservative outlets are hesitant to be so open about and is bordering on outright fascism.

If I had to boil it down to one line, mainstream conservative outlets like Fox push a narrative where it's unacceptable for liberals to win, while Breitbart pushes a narrative where it's unacceptable that liberals and out-groups exist. Oh and they're growing very rapidly

Thankfully a major thing that's been happening is that it's become apparent what the GOP actually stands for a lot of people just plain can't stomach it. Same for libertarianism, really; it's gotten so awful that people who are in fact genuinely conservative are going "wait what the gently caress is this?" What the right has been openly advocating lately just doesn't sit well with a lot of people who have been voting conservative heavily for decades.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Thankfully a major thing that's been happening is that it's become apparent what the GOP actually stands for a lot of people just plain can't stomach it. Same for libertarianism, really; it's gotten so awful that people who are in fact genuinely conservative are going "wait what the gently caress is this?" What the right has been openly advocating lately just doesn't sit well with a lot of people who have been voting conservative heavily for decades.

Has there been any indication that means these people won't vote GOP or are they going to continue pulling for them while others are swept up in right wing identity politics and yanked to the right along with it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah I know a lot of conservatives who say things like this but are still more than happy to keep pushing R come election time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like I know a bunch of Republicans that quickly try and change the topic when the racist, homophobic, kill the poor, institute Christian sharia law, etc aspects of these primary candidates comes up but then start crying about MAH TAXES.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: wrong thread

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 29, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Radish posted:

Like I know a bunch of Republicans that quickly try and change the topic when the racist, homophobic, kill the poor, institute Christian sharia law, etc aspects of these primary candidates comes up but then start crying about MAH TAXES.

Sorta the same here. I remember plenty of R voters saying how horrible tea partier X didn't represent them or whatever but they also would explain that they simply can't vote D because of taxes and guns.

"Listen, I know my party is filled with people who are probably racist, sexist, and homophobic, and I know my party occasionally supports facist ideas, but I just can't vote for a party that will raise my taxes theoretically and that kind of threatens my right to own a gun!"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I maintain that if you're complaining about taxes, you aren't nearly as rich as you think you are.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ToastyPotato posted:

Sorta the same here. I remember plenty of R voters saying how horrible tea partier X didn't represent them or whatever but they also would explain that they simply can't vote D because of taxes and guns.

"Listen, I know my party is filled with people who are probably racist, sexist, and homophobic, and I know my party occasionally supports facist ideas, but I just can't vote for a party that will raise my taxes theoretically and that kind of threatens my right to own a gun!"

This is also why a lot of people who claim to be undecided or independent are really straight ticket Republican voters. They just don't want to admit it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

This is also why a lot of people who claim to be undecided or independent are really straight ticket Republican voters. They just don't want to admit it.

My favorite was arguing with not one, but TWO different people during the last presidential season who insisted that they were not Republicans but who couldn't vote for Obama for purely Republican reasons. (And also they supported multiple Republican candidates.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phone posted:

I maintain that if you're complaining about taxes, you aren't nearly as rich as you think you are.

I don't know a single person who complains about taxes that does not have,1) an oversized and overpriced house 2) multiple car payments, 3) three or more kids ( who all have smart phones and game consoles). And then they have the gall to complain about people that burden the system by trying to live outside of their means and collecting welfare.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

My favorite was arguing with not one, but TWO different people during the last presidential season who insisted that they were not Republicans but who couldn't vote for Obama for purely Republican reasons. (And also they supported multiple Republican candidates.)

This is my mom but luckily she can't vote.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Radish posted:

This is my mom but luckily she can't vote.

Is she a robot or a convicted felon?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Not a citizen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Has there been any indication that means these people won't vote GOP or are they going to continue pulling for them while others are swept up in right wing identity politics and yanked to the right along with it?

Depends on the person but I actually know some people that went down to the voter registration office and switched to D. Some people are legitimately fed up with the GOP and realize the Democrats are not trying to take their guns. That or I've actually heard "at least the Democrats are trying to fix the problems." Aside from that you have states like PA that saw the end result of letting Republicans run the show going "wow bump that noise."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Radish posted:

Not a citizen.

Tell her to get the gently caress out of are country!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on the person but I actually know some people that went down to the voter registration office and switched to D. Some people are legitimately fed up with the GOP and realize the Democrats are not trying to take their guns. That or I've actually heard "at least the Democrats are trying to fix the problems." Aside from that you have states like PA that saw the end result of letting Republicans run the show going "wow bump that noise."

I hope this starts becoming the case. :unsmith:

MariusLecter posted:

Tell her to get the gently caress out of are country!

She had a bunch of fat tea party fucks tell her that for real at a gas station. I really don't understand.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic but I've yet to see any mass movement towards the remedies recommended by the 2012 GOP autopsy. We shall see.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only reason golden age Hollywood wasn't a sequel-fest (and it most certainly was an adaptation fest) is because golden age producers were too dumb to realize it would work.

* Except the horror/fantasy industry.
See: Frankenstein, Dracula, Werewolf, etc. sequels.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Sure there is, but none you will accept until the 2016 election. So you have plenty of opportunity to Chicken Little until then.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All day marathons of popular shows have been around for basically ever. Can you blame cable for that?

Not true at all; Nick at Nite literally invented the tv marathon in 1985. It was not a television programming thing before then, the term "marathon" wasn't even regularly used in an entertainment context before they started the trend.

Edit: turns out I was wrong in the second part, forgot that they were inspired by radio marathons of popular music. The first part is still true though, tv didn't have marathon programming until 1985.

Idran fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 29, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Beatles are overrated and The Beach Boys were better

gently caress with me

Wilson was a better songwriter, the Beatles were better producers. Both achieved stunning heights.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of music does Milo like anyway? Is he one of those weirdos who posts under a performance of Tristan und Isolde uploaded to Youtube that kids today only listen to rap and not real art like THIS?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

He listens to whatever music makes him hate himself more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Idran posted:

Not true at all; Nick at Nite literally invented the tv marathon in 1985. It was not a television programming thing before then, the term "marathon" wasn't even regularly used in an entertainment context before they started the trend.

Edit: turns out I was wrong in the second part, forgot that they were inspired by radio marathons of popular music. The first part is still true though, tv didn't have marathon programming until 1985.

Because 1985 was about the time that there were enough people able to get non-broadcast channels by satellite or cable that the model could be done successfully - it would always be risky as hell on network tv because there were various restrictions on how time the networks could directly control. And frankly, something that's been around for about half the time that TV has been truly mass market (in 1953, homes with TVs was at 44.7%, in 1954 it was 55.7%. TV penetration hit 90% in 1962) is a pretty long time.

1988 was the point where over 60% of homes had either cable or satellite TV set up, the point where it hit 50% had been somewhere between 1983 and 1986. (and incidentally, very early 1991 was when cable on its own had hit 60% of households).

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Katrina Pierson, Trump's campaign spokesperson, is currently on CNN and I'm about 95% sure she's wearing a necklace made out of bullet casings like some kind of Mad Max warlord.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

moths posted:

Stonehenge conspiracy theories also tend towards ancient magical whites using awesome new age druid powers. It's hardly rooted in the same "green man's burden" bullshit the other ancient aliens material is.

Racists prefer to believe in space alien meddling over native South Americans figuring out that corn is good eating.

The main difference to me is that stonehenge conspiracy theories weren't ever taught in school to deny that your ancestors existed and that they could have never built stone structures like the colonial theory that the Great Zimbabwe cultural sites were created by ancient whites et al.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Edible Hat posted:

What kind of music does Milo like anyway? Is he one of those weirdos who posts under a performance of Tristan und Isolde uploaded to Youtube that kids today only listen to rap and not real art like THIS?

He seems to hate everything even remotely popular that even the smallest group of people like.

Doing a quick google search the man hates:
-The Princess Bride
-Star Wars
-Anime
-Video Games
-The Beatles
-SXSW

I put video games on that list because judging by the man's past comments? He likely hated them before he saw the opportunity to use it as an excuse to hate on women. This is in addition to his hatred of women, LGBT, minorities and non-christians.

He's just some bizarre sociopath. He calls people "fat", and "sluts", while every other night there's a picture of him loving some random guy on the internet. Just looking at the man and seeing him write things make me irrationally angry. It's not even like...worth an intellectual rebuttal. You know what the guy is and you know that he's wrong. Yet he keeps saying this poo poo. "You can call gay people fags again". I have gay friends, I know gay people on here. I'm absolutely sure they wouldn't appreciate that rear end in a top hat for having that viewpoint. He paints everyone with a broad brush, calls everyone else ugly, and then think he's god's gift to earth.

At least I can kind of justify Joe Six Pack at the local bar having some prejudices just mainly due to ignorance. At least I know Joe Six Pack possibly has some sort of heart and the ability to admit he's wrong. Milo? He knows he's wrong, yet has this insanely arrogant quality to him. Perhaps it's personal, but it's a quality I can't stand in a human being.

That's the difference between your run of the mill conservative and the breitbart crew. Ignorance v. Arrogance. Sorry to vent, but there's very few people I'd wish that would have a safe fall on their head to leave them permanently disfigured. Milo would be probably my "one". (Christ I can't even say Ted Cruz because he has a family as much as I hate the man himself).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 29, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The main difference to me is that stonehenge conspiracy theories weren't ever taught in school to deny that your ancestors existed and that they could have never built stone structures like the colonial theory that the Great Zimbabwe cultural sites were created by ancient whites et al.

What schools put that stuff in the curriculum? I wouldn't expect your average public school to even mention their existence, much less ancient aliens stuff about how they were built.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I had a World History teacher unironically screen a Nostradamus prophecy video in high school. It was from the History Channel :v: (This was 2002, fwiw.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fishmech posted:

What schools put that stuff in the curriculum? I wouldn't expect your average public school to even mention their existence, much less ancient aliens stuff about how they were built.

I could see Apartheid South Africa putting that in there, but they're runners up to the Nazis in terms of comical evil bullshit.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So the bakery that refused gay people had to pay up 137,000 which meant right wing freak out time

quote:

“Melissa Klein was checking her bank accounts just a few weeks before Christmas when her face turned ashen. The money was gone – every single penny. Oregon’s Bureau of Labor and Industries had confiscated all the cash in Mrs. Klein’s checking account and savings account as well as a special account set aside for their church tithe. Yes, friends – the state of Oregon stole money meant for our Lord.” – Todd Starnes

And look the Kleins even made a video of them reading mean tweets and laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giE...wQQtCHLIzub0lyg

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Render unto God.. etc.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The way Starnes phrases that, I can't help but think to myself what does God want with money? He's omniscient!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Spark That Bled posted:

The way Starnes phrases that, I can't help but think to myself what does God want with money? He's omniscient!

To buy a starship. You idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

FuzzySkinner posted:

He seems to hate everything even remotely popular that even the smallest group of people like.

Doing a quick google search the man hates:
-The Princess Bride
-Star Wars
-Anime
-Video Games
-The Beatles
-SXSW

Sounds like a fairly standard hipster to me.

Death to hipsters. :argh: