Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is awesome info, thank you! Cletus was gonna show me some too, so sounds like I'll be able to work on that slowly then now.

There's also some reddit post with guides for how to get gold in every adventure.

Alteisen posted:

provided it doesnt crash at the end

Yeah this happening was probably the maddest I have ever been at gw2. Getting zero credit for a map I had done start to finish was really frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.
Figured I might try and do a legendary journey to make the Predator (I like the pew pew sounds). So after running around doing jumping puzzles, chain events, and being carried through fractals by goons I completed the first collection and unlocked the recipe to make the pre-precursor.

Which requires (but is not limited to) 30 Deldrimor steel, 30 Spiritwood planks, and 10 Elonian leather. :sigh: I can't even check the wiki to see if there is further crafting in the 3rd collection because, I assume, nobody has been stupid enough to spend over 700g worth of time-gated mats when they could just put a 400g buy order on the precursor in its entirety.

On the bright side, having never done them before, fractals with goons is now my new favourite thing.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Bee Man are you still the only person to ever earn gold in shooting gallery?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Visidan posted:

Some interesting info on WvW.

The map was built over 6 months, beautiful lots of pretty things some serious effort went into it the looks. The programmer(s) were given 3 weeks to install the WvW ruleset on it which is why numerous issues keep popping up like glitched out walls and hosed up waypoints.

Oh, that was a glitch? I map-hopped with some organized group yesterday, and thought the walls were some weird mechanic I don't fully grasp. That being said, the design is beautiful! Holy poo poo. It's like a full WoW expansion of environment art, sadly also with the average WoW population for a map nowadays.

Re: HoT chat, Tom Chick of QuarterToThree mentioned it as part of his year in review:

quote:

What makes Heart of Thorns good is exactly what already made Guild Wars good.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
That statement makes no sense to me. What is similar between HoT and GW1? The existence of some grindy achievements you can ignore?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Erdricks posted:

That statement makes no sense to me. What is similar between HoT and GW1? The existence of some grindy achievements you can ignore?

No he means Guild Wars as in Guild Wars 2.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I did Dragon's Stand for the first time tonight. It took ages and I had no idea what was going on most of the time.

We zerged through a bunch of random vet/champ mobs, then we flew back and forth between some platforms with a dragon in the background. I guess everyone in my group had ley line gliding because by the time I'd updrafted over to the next platform they'd finished with whatever and we're headed back. It must have gone well though because at some point there was a cutscene and the dragon died. Unless I missed it, we never actually punched the dragon directly. It somehow managed to be more tedious and less satisfying for me than Arah story.

People in this thread seem to like it other than it being overly long, but I can't figure out why.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008
It's boring as poo poo and takes for loving ever. The last part looks kinda nice I guess but that's kinda all there is. I've done it 3 times and pretty sure I'll never do it again now that basic guild hall objects don't need the ore from it. Thank loving god.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 29, 2015

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Finally finished my charrvenant looks. Also managed to craft the new guild light chest armor.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Looks real good bud. Great use of human cultural legs.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Hefty posted:

People in this thread seem to like it other than it being overly long, but I can't figure out why.
Because of the rewards. Who needs engaging gameplay or memorable experiences when you have DIGITAL CURRENCY?!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The complaints about DS specifically taking too long are weird to me, unlike VB and AB and I guess TD you can get the whole mess done in 45 mins, no two hours minimum thing going on. I mean sure, it doesn't have a 100% in five mins path like AB does but it's still faster than the other metas by a lot.

Also Mordremouth owns, even if it kills my frame rate so bad I can't actually hit with the mortars while gliding

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

45 minutes yeah no thanks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm thinking "is that all?"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

DS is only 45 minutes? I gotta get on that.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

mike12345 posted:

No he means Guild Wars as in Guild Wars 2.

:wtc:

The core game is easily playable in 15-30 minute chunks, except for the old fractals and silverwastes (assuming you are not map hopping). A significant portion of the new content (raids, HoT map metas) take a minimum of 30 minutes, and in the case of DS, up to 2 hours.

What is this guy thinking?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Erdricks posted:

:wtc:

The core game is easily playable in 15-30 minute chunks, except for the old fractals and silverwastes (assuming you are not map hopping). A significant portion of the new content (raids, HoT map metas) take a minimum of 30 minutes, and in the case of DS, up to 2 hours.

What is this guy thinking?

?

He's saying he still likes Guild Wars. Guild Wars 2. Is all. And he probably bought the expansion. But he still likes the game.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there a guide to this or something? I have no idea how to find adventures or where they all are or even how to successfully do them.

I'm writing a guide on Adventures and was just waiting until after Wintersday to publish it, since everyone that cares about Adventures should probably be doing the Winter Wonderland jumping puzzle while it lasts.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd also like to point out that GOON/SFD have been insulated from all the negative quality of life changes to buildsguilds because of their sizes. Most guilds don't have the bankroll or activity we do, so the smaller ones in particular got hosed out things they used to be able to do ever since they were placed behind senseless currency sinks. Want to do the same old guild missions? gently caress you pay me. Want to store things in a vault? gently caress you pay me. Wvw guild want some seige? gently caress you pay me, also you get less seige and it doesn't perform as well as it used to and you need a scribe and you can't claim for free anymore ahaha :smith:

e. autocorrect

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 29, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Guest2553 posted:

I'd also like to point out that GOON/SFD have been insulated from all the negative quality of life changes to builds because of their sizes. Most guilds don't have the bankroll or activity we do, so the smaller ones in particular got hosed out things they used to be able to do ever since they were placed behind senseless currency sinks. Want to do the same old guild missions? gently caress you pay me. Want to store things in a vault? gently caress you pay me. Wvw guild want some seige? gently caress you pay me, also you get less seige and it doesn't perform as well as it used to and you need a scribe and you can't claim for free anymore ahaha :smith:

This is actually a really good point and speaking of guild missions, how the hell did they manage to make them worse in almost every way, god drat.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I'm sad that you have to visit the tavern to get a choice of one (1) guild bonus instead of the slew you could have constantly back then.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
It's even worse for small wvw guilds, taking away +5 and putting it at the end of the wvw upgrades was a dick move.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

The complaints about DS specifically taking too long are weird to me, unlike VB and AB and I guess TD you can get the whole mess done in 45 mins, no two hours minimum thing going on. I mean sure, it doesn't have a 100% in five mins path like AB does but it's still faster than the other metas by a lot.

I've never had DS take less than an hour and a half :psyduck: How do I find these magical 45 min instances?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Just luck really, some organized instances just plow through the event super fast. The whole thing is performance based, not time gated.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only real bottleneck is getting the 3 commander part organized enough and hopefully with people who pay attention and don't swarm the boss so no pods end up respawning and make it take a extra 10+ minutes.

For adventures, the majority are really easy to gold, be sure to have exp boosts/guild exp boosts/lunar exp boosts running before you open the reward chests, ESPECIALLY if it's your first time doing them since you get about 80,000 exp for gold the first time on top of whatever you get for silver or bronze.

Once you know what to do to get gold, it's easy to repeatedly gold them like the ones north and south of the entrance of verdant brink or the gliding one in VB with advanced gliding, except the few that are RNG based or badly designed like the shooting gallery or exalted masks.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 29, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Not related to the current conversation, but the blue cloud aura I mentioned here

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, I have my bee back, but also still the blue Wintersday cloud.

Good try guys!

appears not to be tied to the bee gem, or in fact any piece of equipment, but my character herself. I stripped off every piece of equipment and it's still loving there I am stuck with this stupid cloud for the rest of my in-game life aren't I

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Not related to the current conversation, but the blue cloud aura I mentioned here

appears not to be tied to the bee gem, or in fact any piece of equipment, but my character herself. I stripped off every piece of equipment and it's still loving there I am stuck with this stupid cloud for the rest of my in-game life aren't I

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Same on one of my characters, it was def the bee gem that infected it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Visidan posted:

Same on one of my characters, it was def the bee gem that infected it.

this game gets the weirdest loving bugs.

pun not intended.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pigwren

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

maybe Anet gave you the aura because it fits your cold personality

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You got the stunk birbleader. There's no cure, sorry.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never had DS take less than an hour and a half :psyduck: How do I find these magical 45 min instances?

It's pretty much luck, if you've got a trio of competent commanders who can herd cats in lane well and people who organize boss killing crews before the bossfight starts then you can get it done.

Honestly, given that you like leading wvw, try leading a goon crew through DS! DS seems kinda like a pve version of wvw to me, though I haven't played a ton of wvw.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lyer posted:

maybe Anet gave you the aura because it fits your cold personality

If they were gonna give out a personality-based aura, wouldn't it just be a cloud of :420:?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
HoT has great sound design. All the new critters have unique noises, unique "voices." The chak, vinetooths, bristlebacks, even the hylek all have their own audio signature. They put thought into it.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I'm pretty sure they recycled some chak sound effects from Super Adventure Box and nothing will convince me otherwise.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Aleph Null posted:

HoT has great sound design. All the new critters have unique noises, unique "voices." The chak, vinetooths, bristlebacks, even the hylek all have their own audio signature. They put thought into it.

I feel like it's almost insane to say this, but I think the sound design of pretty much everything introduced in HoT is really great, if not at least interesting. Revenant and Druid have some interesting sounds tied to their skills.

Tempest might be the low point, though. Low, like, I think they were trying to hit the brown note with those warhorn skills.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This is actually a really good point and speaking of guild missions, how the hell did they manage to make them worse in almost every way, god drat.

What did they do to guild missions?

I thought you picked them from a menu.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Guild missions are now chosen for you each week, in three tiers, easy medium and hard, which get more slots the higher the guild level. Bounties are still random but vary in how many you do depending on the tier they fall in. Rushes and challenges are the same for each tier each week for everyone, but harder tiers have shorter time limits for rushes. Treks are easier for people to get credit with and actually give you loot now but are not enough to make up for the incredible amount of bugs and terrible decisions they introduced. The little chests at the end of rushes and puzzles are gone, the minimap for instanced missions was a blank which made the maze in Proxemics a pain, porting people stuck behind in puzzles is now impossible and people often don't get rewarded for missions until two, five, ten or infinity minutes after they finish. It's the single worst thing they hosed up in the whole of HoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah but now I can make like 12 gold off guild missions. They are great

• Locked thread