Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

207-563-5532 posted:

god drat it you people

Please just probate and/or taze people that bring up what must not be named.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

How do people think of Mr. Enter? He seems to be quite well, easy to anger but he seems to have his heart in the right place.

I also like his admirable animations to highlight shows that I forgotten long ago. Speaking of which he just did an episode on we bare bears. I admit this one seems a little weak, as he could've pointed out that this show captures the slice of life feel in alot of anime.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 29, 2015

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Annointed posted:

How do people think of Mr. Enter? He seems to be quite well, easy to anger but he seems to have his heart in the right place.

I also like his admirable animations to highlight shows that I forgotten long ago. Speaking of which he just did an episode on we bare bears. I admit this one seems a little weak, as he could've pointed out that this show captures the slice of life feel in alot of anime.

Personally, I feel he's just another angry reviewer on Youtube. At least he doesn't waste his time trying to make jokes he doesn't have the ability to land.

It's also obvious that he has an axe to grind on certain shows (Spongebob, Teen Titans Go), and that means you're often going to hear about how much he hates them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

In other news, Some Jerk With A Camera just finished his review of Escape from Tomorrow a few days ago. (Parts 1, 2, and 3). I haven't watched much of his stuff, but I'm curious as how he records all his footage. Unless I misunderstood what he said, it can't be cheap to travel between (or even around) California & Florida to record footage at the Disney theme parks. Even if you could, it seems like it would still be difficult to do, as I would think the park staff would monitor people to keep them from doing that.

I know he lives near one of them and my guess is he films everything needed from the other in 1-2 trips a year.

Disney probably gets documentary people a lot. He's probably fine as long as he's not recording the entirety of rides/shows.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
A year or two ago, there was an indie horror film called Escape from Tomorrow that was filmed mostly at Disneyland without permission. It's not a great film, but it was pretty ballsy, and worth seeing just for that, if you can find a copy.

The cast and crew had to pretend to be tourists in between takes in order to dodge park security.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's not really a horror film.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Mr. Enter is really really strange. I'm 90% certain that he literally doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm since he acts baffled and really angry at super obvious jokes in kid's cartoons. Like he'll get super angry and yell about people acting out of character or being strange/mean when it's incredibly obvious it's just a joke.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

OldMemes posted:

A year or two ago, there was an indie horror film called Escape from Tomorrow that was filmed mostly at Disneyland without permission. It's not a great film, but it was pretty ballsy, and worth seeing just for that, if you can find a copy.

The cast and crew had to pretend to be tourists in between takes in order to dodge park security.

I remember seeing that once in a rep cinema a couple of years ago.

The trailer was a bit off-putting, I was expecting a Disney park going haywire and all the rides and mascots were killing tourists like it was a cheesy disaster B-movie, instead what I saw turned out to be the opposite and it came off as a bit average.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

Mr Enter is the kinda guy who sees a joke on a child's cartoon show and angrily goes "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY" and I really hope worked on or knows someone who worked on the old teen titans cartoon because boy oh boy is it 2015 and he's still legitimately angry that that show got shitcanned and replaced with a different more jokey show.

He's basically a video version of those '5 SHOCKINGLY DARK EPISODES OF A CHILD'S SHOW' where they say 'and in this Spongebob cartoon Squidward is being sad and there's a fakeout joke about him putting his head in the oven to clean it...WOW...ON A KID'S SHOW? hosed UP AND DARK IMO' but then also praises poo poo like Tom and Jerry where multiple times Tom has done stuff like put an actual gun in his mouth as a joke and all.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

In other news, Some Jerk With A Camera just finished his review of Escape from Tomorrow a few days ago. (Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Watching through this now. Wow, I had heard of this movie, but never guessed it would be so, as Jay O would put it, dudebook. I mean, I guess it makes sense once you realize it's an attack piece on Disney World: "My childhood was, like, corporate bullshit! Disney's a cult! I wanna gently caress underage girls!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Mr Enter is the kinda guy who sees a joke on a child's cartoon show and angrily goes "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY" and I really hope worked on or knows someone who worked on the old teen titans cartoon because boy oh boy is it 2015 and he's still legitimately angry that that show got shitcanned and replaced with a different more jokey show.

He's basically a video version of those '5 SHOCKINGLY DARK EPISODES OF A CHILD'S SHOW' where they say 'and in this Spongebob cartoon Squidward is being sad and there's a fakeout joke about him putting his head in the oven to clean it...WOW...ON A KID'S SHOW? hosed UP AND DARK IMO' but then also praises poo poo like Tom and Jerry where multiple times Tom has done stuff like put an actual gun in his mouth as a joke and all.

So it's a bit like if TV Tropes was a video reviewer? :v:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

DStecks posted:

Watching through this now. Wow, I had heard of this movie, but never guessed it would be so, as Jay O would put it, dudebook. I mean, I guess it makes sense once you realize it's an attack piece on Disney World: "My childhood was, like, corporate bullshit! Disney's a cult! I wanna gently caress underage girls!"

Even if the movie was making a statement against corporate Disney, I think we already knew that...not the movie, just Disney in general.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

So it's a bit like if TV Tropes was a video reviewer? :v:

Pretty sure Anita Sarkeesian beat them to it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I completely missed that the post was about Escape from Tommorow, because I misread it as Tommorowland. :doh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Annointed posted:

He isn't very good at analysis. I think he spends a lot of time on TVTropes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Pretty sure Anita Sarkeesian beat them to it.

Far too boring and factual to match TvTropes hyperbolic obsession levels.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

lornekates posted:

So Ross, of Ross' Game Dungeon, has a new Game Dungeon out, hosted by Ross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4SUYRhHC88

Puzzle Agent. And it's a Christmas Episode!

I just love his stuff.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Day after day I find myself watching positive reviews over the more negative reviews. The only "negative" reviewer I watch anymore is The Cinema Snob and that's because the stuff he tends to watch is absolute trash. That and he's acutely self-aware about the whole thing.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If TV Tropes came to life as a reviewer, it would probably be a cross between Ben Ackley and Sammy Classic Sonic Fan and Fanservice Fiesta.

And if such a creature were to emerge, the dockets of every court in the land would be awash in restraining order petitions.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Remember that guy with the stupid puppet?

I remember he had a stupid puppet and a stupid voice. Whatever happened to him? It was a bunny puppet who "smoked weed" because it's edgy and cool, despite the puppeteer clearly having never smoked weed in his life.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

I just finished the last part of the Escape from Tomorrow review, and I absolutely loved it. Just how far that film goes to basically have no point is astonishing. I also really liked Some Jerk's comment on post modernism and making films anywhere you want, because it really is true. With a small handheld camcorder it's possible to get things that even big budget can't always get. Also that last shot was absolutely amazing and I wonder if he had to do multiple takes, cause getting a long pan like that without any bystanders looking into the camera must have been a pain to get.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

I remember he had a stupid puppet and a stupid voice. Whatever happened to him? It was a bunny puppet who "smoked weed" because it's edgy and cool, despite the puppeteer clearly having never smoked weed in his life.

You mean Bunny Perspective?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

He turned out to be a giant misogynistic dick and got himself kicked off his content network and Chez Apocalypse. He's still making videos though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Red Mundus posted:

Day after day I find myself watching positive reviews over the more negative reviews. The only "negative" reviewer I watch anymore is The Cinema Snob and that's because the stuff he tends to watch is absolute trash. That and he's acutely self-aware about the whole thing.

Yeah more and more I've been drifting towards stuff that discusses how and when things are done properly rather than trashing on stuff that isn't good. I'm completely over the angry reviewer gimmick, that's for sure. The critics I've been watching most lately have been Renegade Cut, Every Frame A Painting, Game Maker's Toolkit , Brows Held High, and Turbo Button. They tend to be a lot more constructive and talk more about the subtle details of form and design that help to make quality games and movies but could go unnoticed by the untrained eye. It's a lot more helpful for people who are genuinely interested in the art form than "this is dumb and stupid because xx and yy". They still talk about bad stuff, but in a way that feels more like it highlights how things can be done better.

I also think that Yahtzee's best videos and articles are the ones where he likes the game he's talking about, although I might be in the minority on that.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

You mean the guy that made a video about how he was OK with Michael Jackson molesting children if that's what it took to create Thriller, right? Because that's Bunny Perspective and MAN that video was bad. Like the image of that stupid little bunny puppet nodding along like everything he was saying about Hitler was just so OBVIOUSLY correct is burned into my brain.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I never enjoy hating on critics like these, but I've watched most of Turbo Button's videos, and it's really very shallow if you already know thing one about video game design. The only one I learned anything from was the one on animations in action games, that one was decent, but only because it was shallow information about a subject I don't have much practical knowledge of. Honestly, if you've even payed attention to any time goons shoot the poo poo about video games, you've heard nearly everything he has to say.

EDIT: And even in the animation video, he claims that Arkham Asylum's combat is bad because the attacks animations "aren't telegraphed enough", because I guess he just never noticed that the attacks are very conspicuously telegraphed by enemies who were previously standing in place suddenly running up to Batman, because Arkham combat isn't about watching one dude for when he's gonna hit, it's about watching the whole crowd to assess where the next attack is coming from. Basically he tried to play Arkham Asylum like it was God Hand and was consequently not very good at it.

Turbo Button is your one buddy who kinda knows poo poo about video games, but not as much as he thinks he does.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 29, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've said it before, but the only decent thing about the Bunny Perspective was its theme song, which wasn't even done by the guy behind Phil Bunny anyway.

It was oddly prophetic though, because it's about a guy who alienates all his friends because he's a totally loving weirdo who never grew out of being a dumbshit teenager.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

nine-gear crow posted:

I've said it before, but the only decent thing about the Bunny Perspective was its theme song, which wasn't even done by the guy behind Phil Bunny anyway.

It was oddly prophetic though, because it's about a guy who alienates all his friends because he's a totally loving weirdo who never grew out of being a dumbshit teenager.

By the same token, I almost feel like Spoony chose Break Me to be about his fans.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Well two of those things are true.

Actually three of those things are probably true, but the last one isn't valuable information.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

lornekates posted:

So Ross, of Ross' Game Dungeon, has a new Game Dungeon out, hosted by Ross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4SUYRhHC88

Puzzle Agent. And it's a Christmas Episode!

Ross is great and needs more love.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He has actually done videos like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yIEiw8pk4w

I remember that Mr.Enter got brought up in the thread about the year ago. I watched a few of his videos, and I just find his critiques to be sort of bizzare. Like in one video, he reviews of an episode of Spongebob, and he makes a couple of interesting points about how the episode might work better if structured differently. But then he turns around and complains about how it's not in 'continuity' with other episodes, or that 'a big 'NO' shout should be timed before something terrible happens'.

Here's something I've been meaning to ask: Whatever happened to Luke Mochrie? I remember he was on TGWTG for a brief time, then he just up and disappeared.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 30, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Luke is part of an indie band if I remember correctly.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Mr. Enter is basically Confused Matthew, but entirely focused on misunderstanding the most basic concepts of cartoons rather than films/TV in general. Except unfortunately Enter doesn't have a vastly superior contemporary critic doing a similar thing but way better, ala SF Debris.

Not that I know of, anyways.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Was Mr. Enter the guy who reviewed episodes of Family Guy and would completely flip his poo poo whenever they made a "Walt Disney was antisemitic" joke? Judging from how he's described in this thread, it sounds an awful lot like him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moartoast posted:

Mr. Enter is basically Confused Matthew, but entirely focused on misunderstanding the most basic concepts of cartoons rather than films/TV in general. Except unfortunately Enter doesn't have a vastly superior contemporary critic doing a similar thing but way better, ala SF Debris.

Not that I know of, anyways.

Is Confused Matthew actually any good? I know Chuck hypes him up regularly on SFDebris, but every time I try to watch any of his stuff I shut it off after the first five minutes for one reason or another.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well two of those things are true.

Actually three of those things are probably true, but the last one isn't valuable information.

I'm not sure if what I intended came across in my post, but the third thing is something that comes up in the film.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Max Wilco posted:

In other news, Some Jerk With A Camera just finished his review of Escape from Tomorrow a few days ago. (Parts 1, 2, and 3). I haven't watched much of his stuff, but I'm curious as how he records all his footage. Unless I misunderstood what he said, it can't be cheap to travel between (or even around) California & Florida to record footage at the Disney theme parks. Even if you could, it seems like it would still be difficult to do, as I would think the park staff would monitor people to keep them from doing that.

Halfway finished through part 3 and even though I only saw the film once, I don't know how dull and pointless the whole story was now that I got a second look. While the analysis of the film is okay, I hate that the reviewer's using the same NC technique of exaggerating over sections in a movie, also the guest cameos are just ugh, I like where he's coming from about the film but he really didn't need to cram all those jokes in.

Also I pity the guy who played the bellhop near the end, he seemed like a good actor and he showed it too in the speech about the ending and the making of the film, in fact I pity most of the cast...they were just lead by a director who didn't really know how to shoot or plan out a film properly.

EDIT: Okay that last tracking shot on the Disneyland Main Street, that was pretty good.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The thing about Mr. Enter is that he's literally autistic and has said as much in some of his videos. So not even being an rear end in a top hat I think that might explain how he's even more oblivious to poo poo than Doug is.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Tracula posted:

The thing about Mr. Enter is that he's literally autistic and has said as much in some of his videos. So not even being an rear end in a top hat I think that might explain how he's even more oblivious to poo poo than Doug is.
I'm autistic and I know a ton of poo poo about movies, like release dates and box office results and minute counts and... oh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Guys... guys... oh gently caress, poo poo, guys... we completely and totally missed on of the most important anniversary dates of the past decade. A very special video about a movie that is very near and dear to our hearts-- that's provided countless hours of entertainment, and literally shaped the fate of the Middle East.

December 23, 2014.

These men are not puppets. They are Gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CtUd0yuYN4

• Locked thread