Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So does it exchange P/T until EOT, or does it copy P/T until EOT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Seems pretty bad to me. He does nothing on its own, requires you to play other better colorless fatties, and even then just becomes a vanilla big guy until end of turn.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So does it exchange P/T until EOT, or does it copy P/T until EOT?
Copy. "Cambiar" is copy, "Intercambia" is exchange.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You could combine it with phyrexian dreadnought for MaskNought shenanigans but I'm not convinced that's better than actual MaskNought, which no one plays anyway

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

You could combine it with phyrexian dreadnought for MaskNought shenanigans but I'm not convinced that's better than actual MaskNought, which no one plays anyway

I'm almost certain it's not because you sort of have to attack with the dreadnought/"dreadnought" at least twice in most situations, and this means you have to jump through an extra hoop since it's only until EOT.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

http://magiccards.info/roe/en/84.html

We've already got a card like it at the same cost and it didn't anything particularly abusable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
If devoid aggro ever becomes a thing then the mimic seems like a good 2-drop alongside Forrunner Of Slaughter. Dust Stalker would let you swing with a pair of 5/3s on turn four which seems good. The deck still needs a lot more toys to compete with Jace-based control decks though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm almost certain it's not because you sort of have to attack with the dreadnought/"dreadnought" at least twice in most situations, and this means you have to jump through an extra hoop since it's only until EOT.

Play 'nought, have it become a 12/12, sac it to the 'nought's trigger. Maybe worth it, since it's just 3 easy to make mana?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Well you should be able to stack the triggers in such a way that you sac eldrazi guy as your 12 power, right? Still stiflenaught with less utility in the second card basically, and no one plays that anymore either

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
maybe there's a forgemaster blightsteel combo here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

maybe there's a forgemaster blightsteel combo here.

It doesn't copy Infect, and if you're slamming a blightsteel like that, it alone should be enough to win the battle.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It doesn't copy Infect, and if you're slamming a blightsteel like that, it alone should be enough to win the battle.

Oh, good point.

Man that sucks then :v:.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

If devoid aggro ever becomes a thing then the mimic seems like a good 2-drop alongside Forrunner Of Slaughter. Dust Stalker would let you swing with a pair of 5/3s on turn four which seems good. The deck still needs a lot more toys to compete with Jace-based control decks though.

Devoid Aggro is already a thing, it's just not very good yet. A two-drop that turns into a Dust Stalker would absolutely go in the current version of the deck, though that may say more about the quality of the deck than the card.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Duels 12 is better than 13, and I haven't seen much disagreement. It has better puzzles and Archenemy instead of the most boring possible implementation of Planechase.

Fake game modes that nobody plays are a sorry basis for spending money. 13 has more interesting decks with a variety of ways to build each. If I'm recommending Duels to a starting player, that's way more important than teaching a game mode they will literally never run into IRL.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Serperoth posted:

Play 'nought, have it become a 12/12, sac it to the 'nought's trigger. Maybe worth it, since it's just 3 easy to make mana?

Elyv posted:

Well you should be able to stack the triggers in such a way that you sac eldrazi guy as your 12 power, right? Still stiflenaught with less utility in the second card basically, and no one plays that anymore either

I completely glossed over that interaction :downs: (and may have also forgotten that P-Dizzle went back to being an ETB trigger rather than a replacement effect; I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking).

I guess it would depend on what sort of plan B the deck wants to go for. Torpor Orb / Mask / Sundial combos let you run Hunted creatures and such as backup for the dreadnoughts. The new Eldrazi makes those bad but could open up different combos, potentially.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like it, it's a 2 drop that will be oversized a lot of the time. I think you can also use it to copy eg Titan's Strength for what it's worth, which could be relevant in a deck with a haste-giver.

I kindof like it in that weird modern deck, a lot of the time it will be like a goyf that you can cast off a sol land/for free with an Eye of Ugin.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Holiday cube is ok it's a shame mtgo sucks

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I like it, it's a 2 drop that will be oversized a lot of the time. I think you can also use it to copy eg Titan's Strength for what it's worth, which could be relevant in a deck with a haste-giver.

I kindof like it in that weird modern deck, a lot of the time it will be like a goyf that you can cast off a sol land/for free with an Eye of Ugin.

Yeah. If it sees any use, it will be that. You get to pump whatever just came into play in response to the trigger to effectively get two pumps.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Depending on how the copy ability is phrased it likely will copy base P/T so you won't be able to like cheese big guy + pump spell to make him huge.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Skyl3lazer posted:

this is why the guy should have been playing brain freeze or tendrils :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I was gonna say "but he has Bargain out" except lol he only has 3 cards.

Oh, and official release of

where Patrick Chapin tries really hard to pretend that Nissa is good and totally worth the $15 preorder his employer is trying to sell her at:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32123_Oath-Of-The-Gatewatch-Preview-Nissa-Voice-Of-Zendikar.html

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 29, 2015

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Mikujin posted:

Depending on how the copy ability is phrased it likely will copy base P/T so you won't be able to like cheese big guy + pump spell to make him huge.

Nah, it'll copy base power and toughness either way. Layers, man. Layers.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
what's the best site to (MTGO) price check a modern deck?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

The site you plan on actually buying the cards from.

e: NM, MTGO. mtggoldfish.com is generally reliable and the mtgo economy tends to have less price spread in general anyway if you're buying from a major bot chain.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com
https://www.mtgotraders.com

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ramos posted:

http://magiccards.info/roe/en/84.html

We've already got a card like it at the same cost and it didn't anything particularly abusable.

You could do some vengvine shenanigans with it, but that was about it I think.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't it an ETB trigger? Why would layers prevent it copying anything?

I guess it could look at base stats but that would make it pretty disappointing with Endless One and Hangarback Walker.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

where Patrick Chapin tries really hard to pretend that Nissa is good and totally worth the $15 preorder his employer is trying to sell her at:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32123_Oath-Of-The-Gatewatch-Preview-Nissa-Voice-Of-Zendikar.html

She might be an okay Gideon-lite if she was 2G instead of 1GG, but that mana cost is a pretty big punch in the balls for what she brings to the table. She could almost work in the BGx(x) Aristocrats/Rally decks that are bouncing around, but she can't get hit by Collected Company like the flipwalkers and lol if you think they're spending one of their like 5 non-creature spell slots on this.

Definitely not worth $15 when Gideon is $20 though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I THINK Nissa is bad but I'm not going to make the mistake of underrating cheap costed plainswalkers anymore...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

I THINK Nissa is bad but I'm not going to make the mistake of underrating cheap costed plainswalkers anymore...
I think that the last time we saw a plainswalker was in Odyssey. :v:

I want to see a planeswalker that gives plainswalk.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I can definintely see her working in a ramp deck that plays out Jaddi Offshoot T1, then another wall t2 (maybe Wall of Mulch reprint or something) that she can sit behind and just pump chumps.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I guess it could look at base stats but that would make it pretty disappointing with Endless One and Hangarback Walker.

It depends on what the card actually says, given the various mangled translations. I see some translations saying it copies base power and toughness, which would make it way less good with a lot of things.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bugsy posted:

You could do some vengvine shenanigans with it, but that was about it I think.

Combos with Brothers Yamazaki :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yawgmoth posted:

Shadowmoor. The previous one was in Odyssey. My guess is someone was making this exact same sort of joke.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

This was actually a pretty sweet sideboard card in limited.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Plainswalk is the funniest ability just because Great Wall exists

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Copy effects only ever look at base stats. They've never done otherwise (Offer not valid pre-6th edition.)

All copy effects whatsoever operate at Layer 1. Changes to power and toughness operate at layer 7. The change of the template to "Base power and toughness" wasn't in any way functional, it always worked like that. Tabak et al. just finally figured out a good template to make that intuitive.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love stupid durdly token makers, especially if they make saprolings or plants, so I am a big fan of that Nissa and I would love to get one for my Ghave plants/fungus EDH deck. That being said, I think I'll wait on that $15 preorder price. But I could see it being worth it if a green tokens deck showed up that was really solid. She'll be fun in Magic Duels at least. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

Righteous Avengers was in Masters Edition 1 in 2011, but the most recently-made card with plainswalk is Boggart Arsonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Her uptick looks underwhelming but I think it's actually pretty good for a 3 mana walker. It's relevant protection and value one she starts downticking.

I suspect her - may also be pretty good in the context of a heavily midrange standard with some strong token themes.

• Locked thread