Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The US tends to be really good at breeding interestingly insane people whereas I find we tend towards the mundane kind of insanity over here.
You can't say that less than two pages after David Icke-chat.

e: Three pages now I guess.

Leicester alone has quite the history of bizarre political and religious figures though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jooz

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

while i have seen poly relationship stuff being pushed by random weirdos on tumblr/twitter. and this sadbrain http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/what-open-marriage-taught-one-man-about-feminism.html (its not about feminism, its about a dude rationalizing being of ok with his wife openly cheating on him, its kinda sad) how is it the JEWS doing. i know the jews are the "ironic" boogieman of the /pol/ and parts of the right. but still.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because they believe that race mixing is communism, and that black people aren't smart enough to orchestrate that on their own, so they need a race of people who are more cunning and power-hungry than the Aryans but at the same time too cowardly to do it directly so use the media and Hollywood to motivate minorities to cuck whitey. There is already a race that has traditionally been accused of that (along with nailing communion wafers to sticks and poisoning wells) so why be original?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The ManKind Initiative is pretty sketch. Being associated with MRA superstar Erin Pizzey doesn't help, either.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oh for fucks sake Wales, pull it together. I know we had crazy periods like believing that the Welsh had somehow made it to America and some natives were actually Welsh, but this is a new low.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ill just leave this here, in all its insanity.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

He can see big black cocks where there are none. That's why he appears to be obsessed with them. It's a neoreactionary trait.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

LITTLE WHITE CUCK BALL

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hbomberguy posted:

LITTLE WHITE CUCK BALL

Has anyone else noticed that Poe's law doesn't have a bottom?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I think part of the hilarity is that it is no longer possible to tell joke from real in the dumbzone. We're dealing with people who called their movement the dark enlightenment. Like, is that a pun on purpose, or...?

Sometimes on twitter you get people saying something obviously vile and cruel, then someone on their side accusing them of being a sockpuppet of the enemy trying to discredit them. You have a movement that literally thinks its own idiocy is proof of a conspiracy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also a movement that wants to undo the enlightenment, which it sees as a liberal conspiracy, but at the same time claims that they're not racist because their race realism is scientific. Which is itself a epistemological system that comes entirely out of enlightenment philosophy.

Maybe they're just dumb.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

The ManKind Initiative is pretty sketch. Being associated with MRA superstar Erin Pizzey doesn't help, either.

Well, the libertarians have HHH, I guess these guys figured they needed Mankind to keep up.

EDIT: Also, someone made an infographic about thick-rimmed glasses being "problem glasses" and claiming that "not all SJWs wear problem glasses, but all people who wear problem glasses are SJWS".

Literally /pol/ Pot.

GottaPayDaTrollToll fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 29, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Guavanaut posted:

It's also a movement that wants to undo the enlightenment, which it sees as a liberal conspiracy, but at the same time claims that they're not racist because their race realism is scientific. Which is itself a epistemological system that comes entirely out of enlightenment philosophy.

Maybe they're just dumb.

It seems like these regressive movements always go further and further back as the source of the world's problems.

Have any wanted to try to undo the renaissance and be plunged back into the middle ages? That would be quite impressive, even by internet nutjob standards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No the renaissance is good because it started because Europe kicked out the Jews :histdowns:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Late to the party, but does anyone have any sort of thought about what made this whole MRA/crazy conservative/cuckosphere thing emerge initially?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hbomberguy posted:

I think part of the hilarity is that it is no longer possible to tell joke from real in the dumbzone. We're dealing with people who called their movement the dark enlightenment. Like, is that a pun on purpose, or...?

Could be worse. I remember seeing some Objectivist blogger who unironically talked about our current era being "the Endarkenment."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kemper Boyd posted:

Late to the party, but does anyone have any sort of thought about what made this whole MRA/crazy conservative/cuckosphere thing emerge initially?

Just a guess, but probably something to do with ethics in games journalism?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The turning point between the "internet is excellent because it's a vector for uncensored free speech" and "uncensored free speech is liberal enlightenment era bullshit".
Which strangely came around at about the same time as the internet stopped being mostly a vector for straight white first-world male speech and even (:monocle:) started prominently featuring some voices who were violently against members of the first group.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Well, the libertarians have HHH, I guess these guys figured they needed Mankind to keep up.

EDIT: Also, someone made an infographic about thick-rimmed glasses being "problem glasses" and claiming that "not all SJWs wear problem glasses, but all people who wear problem glasses are SJWS".

Literally /pol/ Pot.

Aren't those glasses like absurdly trendy right now?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ddraig posted:

It seems like these regressive movements always go further and further back as the source of the world's problems.

Have any wanted to try to undo the renaissance and be plunged back into the middle ages? That would be quite impressive, even by internet nutjob standards.

Yes, I met such a person several years ago. He thought chivalric romances were real. But does it count if the "middle ages" you want to live in come from trashy genre novels from the 1500s and power metal lyrics?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 29, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Pictured: The Ultimate SJW

You could break rocks with those rims.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's always been there it's just more visible. One of the reasons you ended up with MRAs as they stand now is because you have a lot of fat white guys without much to do all day looking for somebody to blame. Growing up they were promised the world - they'd go to college, get a job, snag a hot wife, and be the rulers of the world. Now they see people that aren't white guys from privileged backgrounds in places of wealth, prestige, and importance and are thinking "that should be me."

Part of it is because of the financial meltdown too. You have a lot of people that got screwed over and it's been hammering upper middle class white folks as well. Of course some of them are looking for somebody to blame but go after the wrong targets. Things are bad for a lot of people. It doesn't help that upper middle class white guys probably are under a lot of pressure to be wealthy and important but have no opportunity to do so. That gets twisted into the belief that all of the opportunity is being taken and forcibly given to people who don't deserve it.

It jives well with American conservative thought because American conservatism has a pretty strong history of being racist and sexist.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Literally /pol/ Pot.

Kane's the libertarian, afaik Trips doesn't talk about his political affiliations much so I assume he's boilerplate Republican.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kemper Boyd posted:

I'm going to guess The Internet. And, like, nerds becoming aware of how much rear end they aren't getting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Internet was pretty libertarian at first in nerd circles, for better and for worse. If you could afford access and knew what you were doing, you got a voice, and the decreasing price of technology (due to the benevolent free market of course) made it get better and better.

Until there was a point where the social web appeared, and people who were explicitly calling out white maledom started getting followers, and the social web even had areas that were female dominated.

Suddenly about that point, dark enlightenment formed, although it does draw on the rich vein of bitter fucks throughout history.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, it was probably the notion that the world didn't revolve around them and the ongoing diversification of media that drives these people.

People are throwing tantrums about movies, video games, tv shows, comic books that are changing their characters from white males to other races and genders.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, it was probably the notion that the world didn't revolve around them and the ongoing diversification of media that drives these people.

People are throwing tantrums about movies, video games, tv shows, comic books that are changing their characters from white males to other races and genders.

They're just concerned about the "sudden" politicization of media. It's stunning how many of them believe that works containing messages and being colored by the views of their creators is a recent and unusual development, rather than an inherent and crucial part of any creative medium.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motto posted:

They're just concerned about the "sudden" politicization of media. It's stunning how many of them believe that works containing messages and being colored by the views of their creators is a recent and unusual development, rather than an inherent and crucial part of any creative medium.

Everyone knows when you can't detect the politicization of media it's because it wasn't politicized and not because it's completely reinforcing your worldview rather than someone else's.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I have to give the "true Prussian" guy one thing--von Richtofen and pals were pretty cool, because who can say no to a form of warfare where the enlisted men sit around behind the lines and the officers go out and get killed? :v:

We should replace warfare as we know it with a real-life version of Ace Combat.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Kane's the libertarian, afaik Trips doesn't talk about his political affiliations much so I assume he's boilerplate Republican.

We have such sights to show you in the libertarian thread.

HHH in this context is actually libertarian 'thinker' Hans Hermann Hoppe, a writer who inexplicably manages to sound like an 18th century aristocrat while still being alive and well as a Nevada professor.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Caros posted:

We have such sights to show you in the libertarian thread.

HHH in this context is actually libertarian 'thinker' Hans Hermann Hoppe, a writer who inexplicably manages to sound like an 18th century aristocrat while still being alive and well as a Nevada professor.

Oh it was a double meaning. Fair enough. I know who Hoppe is but I originally read it as a pure wrestling joke.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Hbomberguy posted:

LITTLE WHITE CUCK BALL

Still lolling at this.

Doc Hawkins posted:

He can see big black cocks where there are none.

Well that's not a very nice thing to say about John Boyega.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I realized waaay too late that I should have just said "he can see cucks before they happen".

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

They are no longer at the top of the hierarchy. Why wouldn't they adopt the weapons of those who eroded that hierarchy? Everyone else does.

I mean, drat, I don't favor these dorks, but it is pretty revealing when you condemn your opponent for having the gall to fight back.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maoist Pussy posted:

They are no longer at the top of the hierarchy. Why wouldn't they adopt the weapons of those who eroded that hierarchy? Everyone else does.

I mean, drat, I don't favor these dorks, but it is pretty revealing when you condemn your opponent for having the gall to fight back.

Huh?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

Because they're dumb stemlord failures who never read a book without a dragon or a spaceship in it and are proud of that. It took them to the point where cultural criticism filtered down through Star Wars and Spider-Man comics to realize that it even exists. They're just flailing around with a cargo cult that approximates what their limited perception captures of what's happening. God forbid they ever read something more complex than what was handed out in AP English.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
It does indeed chafe that the dumb stemlord failures who read dragon books would dare to engage in an awkward backlash against the histrionic gender studies baristas who read vampire books. A plague on both their houses! (<--that's from a romance drama)

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 31, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maoist Pussy posted:

It does indeed chafe that the dumb stemlord failures who read dragon books would dare to engage in an awkward backlash against the histrionic gender studies baristas who read vampire books. A plague on both their houses! (<--that's from a romance drama)

Rage Against the Skeleton Warriors doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Define 'top of the hierarchy' though. The world's isn't run from tumblr, and in terms of clout on the internet (whatever that is worth), reddit and the chans out-rank them both.

To me, what's kind of fascinating about their self chosen label isn't the 'enlightenment' and the contradiction there, but the qualifier 'dark'. It's there clearly to signify edginess, but it also kind of implies maliciousness. "The enlightenment was bad, but we're worse!". Seems more like the kind of things biker gangs say about themselves, rather than then legitimate political movements. Except that they're inflating their egos with long winded screeds, instead of riding around looking menacing or whatever.

• Locked thread