Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Certainly a possibility. Didn't fit any of my pots on hand, but who knows how I inherited this thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

My cheap spare blender has rust coming out of the bottom screw. What's a good way to treat it?

Surface rust, don't even worry about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nah most of the rust is actually leaking out of the screw

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I had a question about this recipe: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/favorite-french-canadian-meat-pie

It calls for ground pork, beef, and veal. Would it be ok to use extra beef in place of veal, and ground turkey in place of ground pork?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Beef in place if the veal, yes, but if you're replacing the pork with turkey you will need to add extra fat in the form of finely diced bacon or lard.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Beef in place if the veal, yes, but if you're replacing the pork with turkey you will need to add extra fat in the form of finely diced bacon or lard.

Got it, thank you for advice. I went by Trader Joe's and picked up 4oz of pancetta bacon.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 29, 2015

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Can anyone hook me up with a legit spinach dip recipe (or similar) for a cob loaf? The recipes I'm turning up on google call for loads of mayo or cream cheese, frozen spinach, and tinned soups, I would like to make some non bullshit food please.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Rev posted:

Certainly a possibility. Didn't fit any of my pots on hand, but who knows how I inherited this thing...
The next logical conclusion is that it fits in the bin

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

DumbparameciuM posted:

Can anyone hook me up with a legit spinach dip recipe (or similar) for a cob loaf? The recipes I'm turning up on google call for loads of mayo or cream cheese, frozen spinach, and tinned soups, I would like to make some non bullshit food please.

The thing is that spinach dip wants you to cook the poo poo out of the spinach, so using fresh is a waste of money. So frozen is actually fine, and you squeeze the excess liquid out of it with paper towels. I use a combination of cream cheese and sour cream for the dairy mix, and skip the mayo. I add in parmesan as well. If you will be baking this thing, you can add shredded mozz in the mix and on top. If not, I might skip it, since unmelted cheese in a dip is kind of weird.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

The thing is that spinach dip wants you to cook the poo poo out of the spinach, so using fresh is a waste of money. So frozen is actually fine, and you squeeze the excess liquid out of it with paper towels. I use a combination of cream cheese and sour cream for the dairy mix, and skip the mayo. I add in parmesan as well. If you will be baking this thing, you can add shredded mozz in the mix and on top. If not, I might skip it, since unmelted cheese in a dip is kind of weird.

Several truths contained within.

Frozen spinach is best for Indian saag dishes, too.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

DumbparameciuM posted:

I use this recipe, more or less: http://savourthesensesblog.com/spinach-artichoke-dip/ though I tend not to worry about the fat free cream cheese/sour cream part. It might be bullshit food (it does contain frozen spinach and cream cheese from your list) but it tastes good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is this thing any good for a combination griddle? Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD99Y4/

I have a normal flat griddle which I mainly use for breakfast-related things (eggs, pancakes, hash browns, etc), but it's getting old and nasty and I'm looking to get something new. I was thinking something like this might be nice since I can also use it for a quick post-workout chicken or something. Any opinions?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

PRADA SLUT posted:

Any opinions?

Don't waste your money on overpriced unnecessary poo poo.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Scientastic posted:

Don't waste your money on overpriced unnecessary poo poo.

This isn't helpful.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Non stick things like that tend to not last, get hot enough because they are non stick or have good temp controls.

There is nothing in that product that cannot be done better and cheaper with two cast iron pans which will run you 30 bucks and not break/worsen with age after 1-3 years. They will actually improve with age and use. If you really want a panini with grill lines just get a George Forman. If you don't have a range for some reason imo get an induction plate and some pans but I could see a use for it then.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is this thing any good for a combination griddle? Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD99Y4/

I have a normal flat griddle which I mainly use for breakfast-related things (eggs, pancakes, hash browns, etc), but it's getting old and nasty and I'm looking to get something new. I was thinking something like this might be nice since I can also use it for a quick post-workout chicken or something. Any opinions?

I have a similar thing like that I purchased years ago and it mainly sits in a cabinet. Cook chicken in a pan.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

PRADA SLUT posted:

This isn't helpful.

Sorry, you didn't say helpful opinions.

How about : Don't waste your money on overpriced unnecessary poo poo, buy a pan instead and save yourself kitchen space that you would otherwise fill with overpriced unnecessary poo poo.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Is there anything actually unsafe about using, for example, whip-it chargers in an isi gourmet whipper?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Totally Reasonable posted:

Is there anything actually unsafe about using, for example, whip-it chargers in an isi gourmet whipper?

I think that's what you're supposed to do?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Totally Reasonable posted:

Do you mean is it okay to use brands other than isi? Yes, it is fine.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

taqueso posted:

Do you mean is it okay to use brands other than isi? Yes, it is fine.

rad

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah they're all the same once you inhale em anyway.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Nicol Bolas posted:

The thing is that spinach dip wants you to cook the poo poo out of the spinach, so using fresh is a waste of money. So frozen is actually fine, and you squeeze the excess liquid out of it with paper towels.

Ah! I didn't know this, thank you.

ChetReckless posted:

I use this recipe, more or less: http://savourthesensesblog.com/spinach-artichoke-dip/ though I tend not to worry about the fat free cream cheese/sour cream part. It might be bullshit food (it does contain frozen spinach and cream cheese from your list) but it tastes good.

Thank you, this feels superior to the recipe I was staring at grumpily. This, for reference.

I was considering replacing the Sour Cream with Greek Yoghurt as I've done this in several other dishes with good results. Do you sub the cream cheese with something else? Or are you saying disregard the "fat free" part?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ah! I didn't know this, thank you.

Thank you, this feels superior to the recipe I was staring at grumpily. This, for reference.

I was considering replacing the Sour Cream with Greek Yoghurt as I've done this in several other dishes with good results. Do you sub the cream cheese with something else? Or are you saying disregard the "fat free" part?

The fat-free part. I think I normally use a light cream cheese, but only because it tends to be a little easier to mix in. I think it would work just fine with Greek yogurt, probably pretty tasty.

Double emphasis on squeezing all the water from the frozen spinach. Even when you think you've got it all, there is probably more there.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah they're all the same once you inhale em anyway.

idk man some of them give me a killer headache.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is there a sausage making thread somewhere that I'm not seeing? I finally managed to remember to take pictures of making korv, was going to add a quick how-to if it's around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fuuuuck, I just found about $50 worth of vouchers that expire at the end of the year and can only be used on food stuff. Unfortunately I went shopping already yesterday and bought as much meat and veggies as I could eat before they go bad. Also recently bought canned tomatoes and beans so I now have no idea what to buy that wouldn't be a waste of money. Any suggestions? Ideally needs to last without a freezer as mine is almost full and its door hinges are broken :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mobby_6kl posted:

Fuuuuck, I just found about $50 worth of vouchers that expire at the end of the year and can only be used on food stuff. Unfortunately I went shopping already yesterday and bought as much meat and veggies as I could eat before they go bad. Also recently bought canned tomatoes and beans so I now have no idea what to buy that wouldn't be a waste of money. Any suggestions? Ideally needs to last without a freezer as mine is almost full and its door hinges are broken :v:

Cheese.

Otherwise just get flour, oil, other staples and such. Buying them now just means you don't have to buy them later.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mobby_6kl posted:

Can you buy wine or are these puritanical gubment vouchers?

I would go with dried stuff like rice, lentils, etc. otherwise. Make yourself up a good zombie apocalypse pantry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Otherwise just get flour, oil, other staples and such. Buying them now just means you don't have to buy them later.

Yeah, staple stuff. Oils you use frequently is always a good buy, we just get high refined Canola by the gallon and just pour it into smaller oven-side squirt bottles for general use. Flour you can put in big tupperwares. Pasta, Rice, Beans.

Honey never expires so long as it's kept sealed. And I mean NEVER. They found stuff buried with egyptian kings that was edible. Treat yourself to some good honey if you can.

edit: Just thinking, in case you don't already have some good tupperware (Or rubbermaid, almost as good, generally cheaper), invest in some. Rubbermaid has a good 5, 10, and 16 cup containers we've been using for years. http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-10...ZVWV982381DTT8D (tupperware does wear better, but you can get used tupperware cheap. I never buy it new)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 31, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Tupperware kinda sucks because everything's a different size. Go with a commercial staple: The Quart Container.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

What are some favorite double pie crust recipes? (Just for making the crust) I'm making a mixed berry pie. Thanks!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Mojo Threepwood posted:

What are some favorite double pie crust recipes? (Just for making the crust) I'm making a mixed berry pie. Thanks!

3:2:1

3 parts flour + pinch of salt, 2 parts fat (lard and butter), 1 part ice water. I generally start with 150 g flour for single crust and go with 1/2 lard 1/2 european butter.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Flour you can put in big tupperwares. Pasta, Rice, Beans.

If you want to buy in bulk, use five-gallon buckets with these lids:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYVRHKG?refRID=QNZ7J8ZKBHZ4FFT65FBR

Those lids are amazing. I buy my 5 and 6 gallon food-safe buckets at the local brewing store.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We're making fried chicken and waffles tonight for New Year's. I didn't think about it til today, but we didn't want to break down a whole chicken, so we bought chicken breasts... and only now it occurs to me that they're skinless. Will that make terrible fried chicken? Should I go get new meat?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

guppy posted:

We're making fried chicken and waffles tonight for New Year's. I didn't think about it til today, but we didn't want to break down a whole chicken, so we bought chicken breasts... and only now it occurs to me that they're skinless. Will that make terrible fried chicken? Should I go get new meat?

You'd be basically making chicken tenders. Just don't over cook them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah you're just making some chicken tenders or fried patties. Just season your breading well and don't overcook them and they'll be fine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

guppy posted:

Your chicken should have been soaking in buttermilk two days ago!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks, it turned out great! Pic in the food pics thread.

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good breakdown of making fried chicken in a cast iron skillet? I've never been able to get the crust to turn out well.