Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I don't think those negative Steam reviewers realize that this game is about broken characters trying to make the best out of a bad situation. Even if it kills them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yarg, maths are hard :arghfist::saddowns:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Yarg, maths are hard :arghfist::saddowns:

Yeah, I meant to say -25% stress damage. The game is really inconsistent about whether an effect that reduces stress damage by 10% is "stress damage -10%" or "stress resistance +10%".

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

The madman is literally the only until camp debuff...

i don't think that's right, i haven't played the new patch with the madman but I remember getting an "until camp" debuff, unless that old "until camp" debuff was removed in the bondage patch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are the Shambler and Collector the only optional bosses? I've never seen either but someone posted a screenshot of the Shambler, apparently you need to activate a thing to fight him but I've heard the other guy can just randomly pop in. Do you get special rewards from them?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kly posted:

i don't think that's right, i haven't played the new patch with the madman but I remember getting an "until camp" debuff, unless that old "until camp" debuff was removed in the bondage patch.

Pretty sure there aren't any from monsters. There may be "until camp" debuffs from curios, but unless you've got one of the nastier curiosity quirks you shouldn't have to deal with those.

Debuffs from town activites (used to?) show up as "until camp" but don't go away from camping (and even if they did, they'd encourage you to camp immediately rather than saving it.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

are the Shambler and Collector the only optional bosses? I've never seen either but someone posted a screenshot of the Shambler, apparently you need to activate a thing to fight him but I've heard the other guy can just randomly pop in. Do you get special rewards from them?

shambler ain't optional if you're running around at 0 torch; he will find you, him and his little loving polyp self-buffing dickhead things

on the other hand i've found blue trinkets in torch sconces at 0 light, so, well.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Also, there is a chance you could just get the debuff again after camping..maybe even in a camp ambush!

Shambler has a chance to show up randomly when it is full dark. This is pretty huge for dark runs in higher difficulties, because the level 5 shambler fight is a huge bitch especially if you don't have a setup for it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The concept of actually scary things best avoided being in the dungeon is cool and good

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I thought you could dig into the configs and disable heroes being sulky about doing low level dungeon runs?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Higher level guys going on lower level runs will change the game drastically if you care about that at all. If not, feel free to go ham on it and have fun!

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
On the subject of hunger mechanics, I found some interesting things when I was data mining the game a while back. In addition to the hunger event, there are art assets for several other random events that never got implemented. Among others, there is a spider bite(assuming that's a blight attack on one of your guys), a gust of wind(deplete torch), apparitions/inhuman cries(stress increase), even food just flat out spoiling. I'll deal with random hunger over any of those, at least that has the side effect of healing you a bit.

I did once ask the devs if they had any plans to revisit the hunger mechanic, and they said they were looking into other ways of handling it, though no word on when. If they change it, most likely it would be post release.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Windy time sounds not unreasonable

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Random events for the sake of random events seem kind of boring. Curios have a nice risk/reward thing going. With events, well, unless you can get some insurance for them, or they prompt a decision, kind of remove player agency.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is the beginner's guide in the OP still relevant? I've come back to it after a long time away and I feel like I'm wasting all my items on lovely upgrades, not really having a clue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

Is the beginner's guide in the OP still relevant? I've come back to it after a long time away and I feel like I'm wasting all my items on lovely upgrades, not really having a clue.

Hieronymous Alloy's guide? It mentions he hasn't updated it as of the cove or houndmaster, so its a bit behind. Says he's planning on doing an update when the final release drops which is pretty soon.

Should be mostly still relevant? :shrug:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

It is mostly good info. Personally I don't agree with the town development plan, but that could just be me. The broad strokes are still all pretty much right. Which part are you feeling off on?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
I'm going to say it right now. I hate the loving Collector.

I swear this game is screwing with me at this point. I have tried to make a run at the Champion Siren 4 goddamn times now, and each and every time that yellow coat wearing bastard has appeared in my path. Now I can beat him, but he always does a number on my team, at least twice resulting in the death of a lvl 5. I decided to go after the Prophet for a change of pace, and wouldn't you know it, there he was! In the final hallway leading to the boss room. Despite my best efforts my Occultist winds up dead and the rest of my team barely ekes out a victory, and forces a retreat from an otherwise nearly ideal run.

I don't know what causes that cage headed fucker to spawn but as far as I can tell he just appears when I'm doing well. It's a shame really, the fight itself is always really fun, but on boss runs he always leaves me in terrible shape. After breezing through the Swine God and the Necromancer champion fights, I thought things were working out, but if they are just going to spawn a Collector every time now, I may never clear all the bosses!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Iron Chitlin posted:

I don't know what causes that cage headed fucker to spawn but as far as I can tell he just appears when I'm doing well.

This may sort of be true--his entry in the encounter table has a variable suggesting he only shows up (or at least is only intended to show up) if your inventory is sufficiently full.

Try bringing more stun power, it's pretty easy to chump the Collector and having multiple good stuns makes a lot of other fights easier too.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I feel like the difficulty curve in this game is all over the map.

Once I learned all the mechanics, the low level dungeons were manageable (with care). Once I leveled up a team to Level 3, I took them into a short veteran dungeon and they got curb stomped. Everyone was getting critted and missing attacks, every hallway fight was bringing me to the brink. So, I've been running more low level expeditions but now I have like 13 guys at level 3 and I keep getting buttfucked in the Vet dungeons.

Am I crazy or just unlucky?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Upgrade weapons and abilities?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea you either don't have skills and equipment leveled, or your approach that worked in lower level dungeons only worked because they're lenient.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

They could still have the mansion leading up to that portal be full of mind-numbling abominations that have spilled out from it.

Its really just a question of decor when it comes to DD's game style, what will the backgrounds look like? :cheeky:
DarkestDungeon\dungeons\darkestdungeon has a few background tiles, but the selection is small and old (that dir's been around since the game showed up on EA). So far there are a couple of surprisingly intact hallways, and about as many outdoor tiles, showing woodsy paths and overgrown graves. No images of the inhabitants anywhere.

Unless they reworked the whole thing, it's possible there's some multi-stage component to the DD, as there's no way I can see for the woods and hallways to blend seamlessly

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Upgrade weapons and abilities?

This. I never ever used my heirlooms to upgrade the blacksmith and skillshop early in my playthrough. Once I upgraded them to a decent level so the costs for poo poo were negligible (like 450g each level) I bolstered all my guys to at least level 2 or 3 in weapons/armor, and upgraded poo poo like Vestal heals, crit chances for abilities, etc. The game really is half about slowly upgrading your town to the point where those character upgrades are cheap, making it easy to turn even level 2 or 3 heroes way stronger. Honestly I have no idea how I went so long without leveling up incredibly helpful stuff like that but I think early on it was more a priority to upgrade the relief houses and sanitarium, along with maxing stagecoach.

I just tried a gimmicky Leper/Highwayman/Vestal/MaA team where the MaA is in the last slot (due to his ultra rare item that grants +20 PROT, extra heal, and extra Dodge if he's in last Rank.) It was actually extremely cool to have him constantly buffing with all his abilities plus use his brick-wall defense to Guard the others even better. I kind of like Support Man-At-Arms even if it's a silly idea.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Anal Surgery posted:

I feel like the difficulty curve in this game is all over the map.

Once I learned all the mechanics, the low level dungeons were manageable (with care). Once I leveled up a team to Level 3, I took them into a short veteran dungeon and they got curb stomped. Everyone was getting critted and missing attacks, every hallway fight was bringing me to the brink. So, I've been running more low level expeditions but now I have like 13 guys at level 3 and I keep getting buttfucked in the Vet dungeons.

Am I crazy or just unlucky?

You're generally always going to be underleveled and underequipped for the new tier you just unlocked. You can stomp green dungeons with undertrained level 2s because they're balanced for level 1 characters, but that advantage suddenly goes away in orange dungeons. The same thing happens when you graduate from oranges to reds; suddenly your level 4s who were stomping oranges are in constant peril in reds.

You really need to funnel your resources into one team. Pick four guys you like and get them fully trinketed, trained, and blacksmithed and you should be able to break through on oranges, which snowballs quickly; oranges are way more profitable, so you'll get your B and C teams caught up quickly.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wish they'd just do some reverse level scaling for the dungeons, so your level six elite operator with max skills and primo gear gets everything knocked down to level 2 for green dungeons and level 4 for orange. oh, and his xp gain gets frozen too.

it's not usually a huge issue, but sometimes there's a boss i need to kill or a trinket i wanna grab, and the only people i have in the appropriate level range are jack and poo poo

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Soothing Vapors posted:

You're generally always going to be underleveled and underequipped for the new tier you just unlocked. You can stomp green dungeons with undertrained level 2s because they're balanced for level 1 characters, but that advantage suddenly goes away in orange dungeons. The same thing happens when you graduate from oranges to reds; suddenly your level 4s who were stomping oranges are in constant peril in reds.

You really need to funnel your resources into one team. Pick four guys you like and get them fully trinketed, trained, and blacksmithed and you should be able to break through on oranges, which snowballs quickly; oranges are way more profitable, so you'll get your B and C teams caught up quickly.

I've been ignoring most curios and selling most trinkets to pay for stuff. I take it trinkets are more important than I have been treating them... doh.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trinkets were worthless side grades 90% of the time up until, probably the corpse and hound, when they got seriously re-balanced to the point where "having a trinket" usually beat out "not having a trinket" in Point Level Powers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Trinkets are worthwhile if you use them smartly. One time I picked up two charms, one that increased my accuracy with ranged attacks at the cost of my speed, the other boosting my speed in equal measure, so I threw them both on my highwayman and had him go to town.

That said, there are very few "Universally" good trinkets, so early on you're probably not in a bad place selling them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZypherIM posted:

It is mostly good info. Personally I don't agree with the town development plan, but that could just be me. The broad strokes are still all pretty much right. Which part are you feeling off on?

Equipment and skills mostly! So far I got my stage coach up to date so I've got a healthy influx of fresh meat, invested in the alcohol upgrades for my bar and also sunk money into the disease curing section of my sanitarium. Beyond that I'm just poking and prodding at random stuff as it becomes available - it doesn't feel like anyone in my parties is lasting long enough to warrant spending gold on their long term equipment, but I also have a feeling that not putting gold there is precisely why they're not lasting long enough!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So there was an update that scaled costs to hero level, which really made lower level stuff a lot cheaper. Always upgrade to level 1 skills/armor as soon as you can because it is a huge upgrade. After that, upgrading the guy's main attack and healer's heal is nice but you don't need to upgrade all their equipment/skills until you're ready to try level 3 dungeons. I've beaten all the bosses with appropriate groups of level 1's as well.

How often are you sending guys to stress relief places? Personally I tend to upgrade the abbey first, because I want to dump all my portraits into the guild and deeds into the smith, while slowly grabbing roster expanders.

Disease curing on the sanitarium is solid once you've got guys you want around, since most diseases are really god awful to have. Don't feel like you messed anything up by spending stuff in various places though, you'll eventually want it. I don't need the stress relief stuff too much, so it isn't a big deal for me to skimp on it until my other buildings are up to snuff, but if you're having more issues with stress then it makes sense to upgrade them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You can do some crazy things with the right combination of quirk locking and trinkets

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers Zypher. :)

Looks like I'm being a little too conservative with equipment then! I'm slowly nurturing a healer (my only one in fact...) so I should get her geared up, and maybe start thinking about the trait elimination aspects of the sanitarium. Currently stress is dealt with perfectly well by getting rip-roaringly pissed so I'm at a good stage there.

The "useless" (i.e. I have no idea how to use them) Abominations, Grave Robbers and Occultists are being formed into suicide squads for low level dungeons so I have a steady flow of income at least. Just a case of getting more deeds together.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I probably should have known that being anchored by the drowning crew boss counts the same as being stuck in the hag cauldron for retreat purposes.

Rip my only mid-high level MAA :(

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if wyrd reconstruction says 59% base chance on the bleed and my guy is base 40% resist + say a 20% charm, does that mean he will never hurt himself? are occultists actually good healers?

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Verviticus posted:

if wyrd reconstruction says 59% base chance on the bleed and my guy is base 40% resist + say a 20% charm, does that mean he will never hurt himself? are occultists actually good healers?

Basically, if you give your occultist the cleansing crystal trinket which reduces bleed skill chance, you are never seeing a bleed from that thing. Don't know if it's guaranteed in your scenario, but it's pretty drat close.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, so using the above advice I'm building up a team that's been pretty successful so far - Vessel/Jester/MaA/Hellion, and I'm getting (re)used to all the mechanics again. The gear upgrade has made a bigger difference than I was expecting. :v:

Am I right in thinking that unused items you buy are refunded on a successful quest run now? I seem to remember them being thrown away at the end of a map without any refunds.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, so using the above advice I'm building up a team that's been pretty successful so far - Vessel/Jester/MaA/Hellion, and I'm getting (re)used to all the mechanics again. The gear upgrade has made a bigger difference than I was expecting. :v:

Am I right in thinking that unused items you buy are refunded on a successful quest run now? I seem to remember them being thrown away at the end of a map without any refunds.

I think you get a partial refund, i seem to remember getting 5g for a torch for example

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Very tiny. A tenth, I think. You're better off dumping them for more rubies. Or even crappy trinkets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verviticus posted:

Yes, Occultists are very good healers. Bleed doesn't happen too often, and neither do the ~0 HP heals you can get with the RNG. (To counteract any possible bleeding, you can always pair him up with a Plague Doctor, anyhow.)

They're better healers than the Vestal, in my experience.

Probably not that reliable a guy if you're in a pinch, though.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 30, 2015