Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
There's nothing like The Original :cool:

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Original

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Duke Nukem leaves GOG.com, farewell sale with all games for pittance.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also reminder that for a few hours still, you can get 66%/75% off Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout and TES.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

laserghost posted:

Duke Nukem leaves GOG.com, farewell sale with all games for pittance.

So if you can't buy Duke stuff on GoG or Steam, where can you buy it? Can you buy it at all after January 1st?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Segmentation Fault posted:

So if you can't buy Duke stuff on GoG or Steam, where can you buy it? Can you buy it at all after January 1st?

After the rights stuff changes, it'll probably go back up on both. But if you for some reason don't already have any of that, no time like now to grab it, unless you're really into making sure Gearbox gets the money by buying in 2016.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Also, Megaton Edition will stay both on Steam and PSN.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

laserghost posted:

also, this video popped on my tumblr feed and I think it's one of the most interesting upcoming zdoom (and later, gloome) projects - memoirs of magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIA-2GQdQM8

Following up on this, here's a video showcasing the Thief's weapons, in comparison to the Warrior's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdKCESMZzs

This actually looks really neat, honestly! The magic system is cool.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Update if you want to play Arcane Dimensions using DarkPlaces:

sock posted:

DarkPlaces Patch 1: http://www.simonoc.com/files/ad/ad_v1_42dppatch1.zip
This will fix all the pink transparent textures in all MOD maps

** Please note **
Maps - ad_swampy, ad_crucial and ad_test3 do not load in DP, everything else works fine. Enjoy the DP particles!

(I'm assuming that you DON'T want to install that patch if you're not using DarkPlaces.)

It sounds like the reason those three maps don't work in DP is because the "breakables" don't work in DP.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
What's the best way to go about playing Doom on my Galaxy Note 5?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I started playing Duke 3D in earnest for the first time last night! I had to look online to figure my way out of level 3. I guess I have to mentally adjust to the idea of blowing up walls to make progress in some cases. :aaaaa:

Using eDuke32 with that updated rendering thing, but I love how pixelly the game still looks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Minidust posted:

I started playing Duke 3D in earnest for the first time last night! I had to look online to figure my way out of level 3. I guess I have to mentally adjust to the idea of blowing up walls to make progress in some cases. :aaaaa:

To be fair, almost all explodable walls have a crack on them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Duke largely plays fair with its level design. There's a few randomly triggered explosions that will gently caress you over arbitrarily, but the majority of the levels are well thought out.

So I never got around to Pirates Doom or Batman Doom, guys. :(

Because I first wanted to try out gzDoom to make sure everything was working. So I "tested" it. And by tested it, I mean I played through Ultimate Doom again. Compulsively playable, always.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Duke largely plays fair with its level design. There's a few randomly triggered explosions that will gently caress you over arbitrarily, but the majority of the levels are well thought out.

So I never got around to Pirates Doom or Batman Doom, guys. :(

Because I first wanted to try out gzDoom to make sure everything was working. So I "tested" it. And by tested it, I mean I played through Ultimate Doom again. Compulsively playable, always.

Well, now you have to go through the it two more times, for Brutal Doom and Demonsteele, respectively :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Narcissus1916 posted:

Did you get squished into chunky salsa by a normal rear end door yet? That's always fun :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Or jumping onto an angled floor and taking massive fall damage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Pirate Doom is really super good.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Mak0rz posted:

Did you get squished into chunky salsa by a normal rear end door yet? That's always fun :allears:

this doesn't happen terribly normally unless it's a cramped usermap or you're trying to make it happen.

Seriously, I never experienced this bug except in a usermap with a gigantic mall.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

this doesn't happen terribly normally unless it's a cramped usermap or you're trying to make it happen.

Seriously, I never experienced this bug except in a usermap with a gigantic mall.

You can do it on E1M2 if you're standing in the wrong place in front of the rotating door to the adult bookstore.

Same on E1M3 when you find the giant rotating room with the RPG.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Where's the video of the guy dying from a door in every Duke Nukem map

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You might be thinking of Duke Dead Quick, which is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAFWfXy5vU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Luigi Thirty posted:

You can do it on E1M2 if you're standing in the wrong place in front of the rotating door to the adult bookstore.

Same on E1M3 when you find the giant rotating room with the RPG.

I legit never had that happen in all the years I played duke. I'm not saying it can't happen by accident, but you'd have to be straight up hugging that door and the wall next to it as you go in there.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

You can use this engine "feat" to your advantage, and lure the pig cop close to the center of the rotating doors, and close it. Four times of a five it will result with a "squished!" message and gross booger stretching from floor to the ceiling.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Colon Semicolon posted:

I legit never had that happen in all the years I played duke. I'm not saying it can't happen by accident, but you'd have to be straight up hugging that door and the wall next to it as you go in there.

Yeah a vast majority of my "crushed on geometry" deaths come from maps I made (and was testing) myself.

I am pretty sure that adult bookstore rotating door killed me in E1M2 however.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You're not a Duke mapmaker if you haven't built at least one huge gently caress off tower and textured it with yellow and black hazard tape :colbert:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

laserghost posted:

You can use this engine "feat" to your advantage, and lure the pig cop close to the center of the rotating doors, and close it. Four times of a five it will result with a "squished!" message and gross booger stretching from floor to the ceiling.

I remember when I first found out about that gore sprite, I would always try to kill the enemies in doorways to get as many boogers stuck in there as possible.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I always hated how Duke3d boss monsters would end the game when they died in a custom map. There were so many cool battles with Cyberdemons etc you could make in Doom maps but it never worked in Duke :(

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mak0rz posted:

Definitely had a few door squishes in my first day playing :D

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I think my favorite Duke thing is that noclip just kills you half the time you use it because the game gets confused about your location unless you have the minimap open.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

What's the best way to go about playing Doom on my Galaxy Note 5?

Your best bet is DTouch by Beloko (http://www.amazon.com/Beloko-Games-D-Touch-Port-Doom/dp/B00ZV118YK/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1451486741&sr=1-1) and a bluetooth controller. I use an ipega gamepad (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLS3UEY/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g147_i5_sh), but if you can use keyboard/touchpad combo if you have one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzUzovxiIK4

Convex posted:

I always hated how Duke3d boss monsters would end the game when they died in a custom map. There were so many cool battles with Cyberdemons etc you could make in Doom maps but it never worked in Duke :(
You could set bosses to not end the map with Pallete 21, but unless you did a little .CON bugfixing, bosses other than the Battlelord would only have a single hit point.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

You could set bosses to not end the map with Palette 21, but unless you did a little .CON bugfixing, bosses other than the Battlelord would only have a single hit point.

This is why Duke is all out of gum; his entire chewing gum supply was used to hold the Build engine together.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

This is why Duke is all out of gum; his entire chewing gum supply was used to hold the Build engine together.

Where do you think they got the art for the "smushed-then-stretched enemy guts between doors"? :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

GEORGE.TXT is topical here as always.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Cat Mattress posted:

Not that Build isn't a hot mess of a game engine, but the "bug" in question really has nothing to do with Build itself. Lower-health versions of the non-Battlelord bosses aren't implemented in the game's CON file since they never appear in the core game itself. The fact that you can change that type of stuff by editing a single line in a simple text file is actually a point in the game's favor, if you ask me. It's one case where "it's not a bug, it's a feature" is actually true.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Gotta give it to Doom on that point, though, as well. Even with almost no knowledge of Doom's inner mechanics beyond the basics I could make a .wad, fire up DeHackEd and create custom monsters, weapons, etc for that specific wad - even if they were end boss 'monsters' like the Icon of Sin - with some simple frame and sprite swapping.

God, I miss the 90s and being a young kid playing around with DeHackEd. It was simple enough to pick up, play around with a few variables and start making new things with such ease to play with friends. Screwing up a lot, too - I remember accidentally turning the shotgun into a bizarre full-auto cannon that would empty a full inventory of shells at once on a split-second trigger pull or making rockets fly so fast they broke the engine and turned into ROTT drunk missiles that veered in crazy directions and usually killed the shooter. I think the closest I've had to that sort of utility was creating custom units in a C&C: Tiberian Sun editor, where I'd build new unit after new unit until eventually I screwed something somewhere up and the entire massive project would crash (might have been the MLRS that fired low-damage terrain-deforming missiles to salt the earth and prevent base expansion). Rather than debug the massive thing I just wandered off into something else.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Half the fun was figuring out how other people pulled off interesting Dehacked tricks. Twice Risen turned both the pistol and chain gun into laser projectile equivalents and the big, bad gun fired a devastating burst of SSG attacks instead, which was pretty creative. The ultimate was Batman Doom, though. It arrived out of nowhere and pulled off a ton of insane tricks nobody had seen before. I nearly fell out of my chair when Killer Croc lifted a rock off the ground and threw it at me! Impossible! It was only years later that I learned it was using the Arch-Vile resurrection effect to reanimate (lift) rock entities which would instantly fly toward you and die on impact. And I thought I was clever when I made bouncing plasma balls (have the projectile fire another another ball when it dies) and nuclear rockets (use the Arch-Vile jump combined with the BFG spray).

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Wild T posted:

God, I miss the 90s and being a young kid playing around with DeHackEd. It was simple enough to pick up, play around with a few variables and start making new things with such ease to play with friends. Screwing up a lot, too - I remember accidentally turning the shotgun into a bizarre full-auto cannon that would empty a full inventory of shells at once on a split-second trigger pull or making rockets fly so fast they broke the engine and turned into ROTT drunk missiles that veered in crazy directions and usually killed the shooter. I think the closest I've had to that sort of utility was creating custom units in a C&C: Tiberian Sun editor, where I'd build new unit after new unit until eventually I screwed something somewhere up and the entire massive project would crash (might have been the MLRS that fired low-damage terrain-deforming missiles to salt the earth and prevent base expansion). Rather than debug the massive thing I just wandered off into something else.

Seriously, this. I found a bunch of my old .DEH files and SOME of them work in source ports, but a bunch would crash and leave me wondering what they were. My file names left a lot to be desired :/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

david_a posted:

The ultimate was Batman Doom, though. It arrived out of nowhere and pulled off a ton of insane tricks nobody had seen before. I nearly fell out of my chair when Killer Croc lifted a rock off the ground and threw it at me! Impossible! It was only years later that I learned it was using the Arch-Vile resurrection effect to reanimate (lift) rock entities which would instantly fly toward you and die on impact.

The Batman Doom crew went on to become known as Ace Team. They're the ones that gave us Zeno Clash, Rock Of Ages, Abyss Odyssey, etc. It's good to see that chilean wierdoes are still represented in the Doom mod scene, too - Prodoomer is from that neck of the woods, too.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One of the first things I did in DeHackEd was replace the Lost Soul death animation with the frames of an exploding barrel, then copy the Lost Soul sprite back over those frames. DeHackEd tied behavior to what frame was being used, but the sprite displayed was independent of that. So every Lost Soul that exploded did so with the splash damage of a nukage barrel. I thought this was a cool idea until I took on a Pain Elemental.

Dialing down the plasma ball speed and having it alternate sprites between standard blue and Arachnotron green was also fun for multiplayer. You could lay on the trigger, strafe back and forth along a hallway and create a garish, slow-moving bullet hell for anyone who tried to chase you. Best part was it made it really hard to see the rocket coming their way at the same time :hellyeah:

This nostalgia really makes me want to bust out DeHackEd again and just start making dumb goofy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I never got that much into DeHackEd. About the most I did was make one that lowered the HP of every enemy to 1 and raised my max health to 999, many years ago.

Although I did recently come back to it to make one that shifted Revenants to the Mancubus and Arachnotron slots, so you could activate Tag 666/667 on MAP07 with Revenants instead (I believe I shuffled the Mancs to the Revenant's old spot and had Arachnotrons replace Commander Keen, so you could still feasibly use both). Kind of want to make a "hunt the Revenant" stage with that one.