Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I watched this as well and it's definitely one of those things that would at the very least have been worth seeing for how batshit crazy it would have been. Everyone I've ever mentioned the aborted Tim Burton Superman movie to just goes "eww" when I tell them it was going to be Nicholas Cage, but that's one of the most interesting things about it. I also love that Jon Peters was like "Superman has to fight a giant spider." for no real reason other than it would have been cool.

He's not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

wyoming posted:

I still need to see Big Eyes, it definitely seems like a film I'd be into.

It's not very good. That movie manages to waste Christoph Waltz in a fairly awful performance.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Gonz posted:

I saw this documentary last month on Showtime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRxXicAuYo

....and part of me thinks "Oh god, this would have been so incredibly bad.", but the other part of me thinks "Holy poo poo, the insane creature concepts and gigantic set designs alone would have been worth the price of admission." I've read Kevin Smith's script from cover to cover, and holy smokes, most of it was painfully 1990's, and it's very cheesy throughout, but some of the concepts would have probably been sick as hell.

Does this really warrant an entire documentary film? Like, maybe a magazine article but I can't imagine this project would have been so fascinating it needs t be mythologized. This isn't like Jodorowsky's Dune where a walking drug-trip of a director managed to hire Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, Salvador Dali, Pink Floyd and other people of actual interest.

I think the fact that the pasty nerd director inserts himself into every interview here is a good cue-in that this film has conceptual problems.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's not very good. That movie manages to waste Christoph Waltz in a fairly awful performance.

I think anyone who isn't Tarantino wastes Christoph Waltz to be honest.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

i'm going to again have to mention how dope Carnage is.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yep, he's used perfectly in that, as is everyone really.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
So Making a Murderer is fine as a filmed argument for innocence but really kind of sucks as documentary

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

you guys are all hype on Making a Murderer, meanwhile i'm loving thrilled at this new Pamela Smart documentary i just came across at the library

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

Does this really warrant an entire documentary film? Like, maybe a magazine article but I can't imagine this project would have been so fascinating it needs t be mythologized. This isn't like Jodorowsky's Dune where a walking drug-trip of a director managed to hire Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, Salvador Dali, Pink Floyd and other people of actual interest.

I think the fact that the pasty nerd director inserts himself into every interview here is a good cue-in that this film has conceptual problems.

Yes. The guy who made it is clearly an amateur but the movie is really good in spite of him because the story itself is actually that fascinating. There were several people with some very out there ideas who were very passionate about making this movie and I'm glad I got to hear them tell that story. Did you actually watch the documentary?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I thought I was the only on here who liked that movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Carnage is fantastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You might even say that Carnage Rules.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I did not like it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it.

I do hate that I forgot to return it to redbox and that means that I paid 25 dollars to own it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

He was great in Water for Elephants, which is a surprisingly good film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Snak posted:

I did not like it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it.

I do hate that I forgot to return it to redbox and that means that I paid 25 dollars to own it.

That isn't the movie's fault.

There's no wrong way too look like a douche.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

That isn't the movie's fault.

That's why I said "I hate that I forgot to return it"...

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
By the way, who was it in here that was championing The Gift a while back? Because I watched it and it was real good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I liked it on the whole, but that ending is awful enough that it significantly hurt the movie for me

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Cool, Spanish Dracula was inducted into the National Film Registry today.

edit: As was noted Greatest Film of All Time, The Shawshank Redemption

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's a good list. Seconds is on there, a bunch of silents and shorts of course (including Dreams of A Rarebit Fiend), I actually saw Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One and it's an interesting little document, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Howdy, folks! What'd I miss?

Oh, Carnage chat!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I feel weird spoilering this, but I'd give Carnage a lot of credit for one of the best vomiting scenes in movies, right up there with Robert Rodriguez's Misbehavers segment of Four Rooms.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, remember when Robert Rodriguez could DIRECT A FILM?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's this generation's George Lucas.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The idea of being George Lucas without the vast amounts of money that entails is pretty depressing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Robert Rodriguez is pretty well set, I mean how much money do you need? Few humans on Earth have George Lucas money.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Plus he gets to be film pope of Austin, which sounds like a pretty fine gig

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kevin Smith's panel discussion about Superman Lives is great, and the bit about Jon Peters' weird obsession with the giant spider fight is worth the price of admission all on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

The Jon Peters stuff starts around the 6 minute mark.

edit: v- Good catch, thanks! Forgot how that bit actually ended.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 29, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah i mean, Rodriguez edits movies in his house. Sure that's not Lucas level money, but he doesn't do it cause he's poor, he does it cause he can. He has a really sweet setup that you can see in some of the behind the scenes features on his dvds.

edit: [redacted]

edit2: ^ np :)

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 29, 2015

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

morestuff posted:

Plus he gets to be film pope of Austin, which sounds like a pretty fine gig

Linklater is film pope of Austin.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more like Linklater is film God of Austin.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
H. Jon Benjamin's jazz album is up on his youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-fTDK6xmjI

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He lost his touch at a younger age than most directors do.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I feel like an idiot for not using the library a quarter mile from my front door as a Blockbuster until now. I just wish I could put in more than five holds.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Yaws posted:

He lost his touch at a younger age than most directors do.

I wonder if it had to do with his increasing budgets, he seemed to work well within limits and once those limits were removed, his dumbass excesses were easier to indulge.

Although, I did find that Sin City held up ok for me. There's a lot of dumb stuff in it, but Marv's story is so energetic that I got sucked into it all again. Bruce Willis' story fell flat for me on the 2nd go around though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sin City 2 is on par with Attack of the Clones with how boring it is. Visually too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Sin City 2 is on par with Attack of the Clones with how boring it is. Visually too.

I saw the trailer and it looked visually ugly. Like bad.

Also I've basically outgrown Sin City, so I don't plan on rewatching the original, like ever. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an immature jackass, but that sort of thing just doesn't interest me as much any more. Like, badassery for it's own sake is a dime a dozen.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm like 20 minutes into The Midnight Swim and I already can't imagine this not ending up in my top 10 of the year. I love found footage of all stripes and this has maybe the best sound design I've ever encountered in the form.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm like 20 minutes into The Midnight Swim and I already can't imagine this not ending up in my top 10 of the year. I love found footage of all stripes and this has maybe the best sound design I've ever encountered in the form.

It just gets better too. Ballsy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CelticPredator posted:

I actually forgot that I saw that film in the cinema. It made perhaps the smallest impression on me that any film has ever made.

I think Eva Green was in it.

• Locked thread