Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Eat Right Ontario posted:

What’s the difference between organic and non-organic foods?
The difference between organic and non-organic (conventional) food has to do with how food is produced.

For example, organic food like vegetables, fruit, eggs, milk and meat is produced without:
Synthetic (human-made) pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers. Organic farmers may use natural pesticides approved for organic food production.
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
Antibiotics or growth hormones
Irradiation or ionizing radiation (a way to preserve food with radiation energy)

Non-organic farmers may use some organic farm practices as well.

I've not really paid attention to what is factual and what is fear-mongering when it comes to organic food because I just buy regular produce. Just looking at this website (I live in Ontario), it seems like antibiotics and growth hormones might not be the best things ever, and also irradiation sounds scary (might not mean anything, just sounds bad). Any one care to explain?
My general opinion is that all these "scary" sounding things are essential in the large scale production of food and don't really pose a public health concern because the government isn't secretly trying to give everyone cancer and so on.

computer angel has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You may also be familiar with irradiation from the dangerous practice of microwaving food.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Subjunctive posted:

You may also be familiar with irradiation from the dangerous practice of microwaving food.

Good to know. My dad's girlfriend is hesitant to use the microwave (because cancer???) and also buys organic produce. I just roll my eyes from the sidelines because I really don't care enough to cause an issue. Also when her daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease I think she made an honest effort to figure out what kind of meals she could still prepare, but probably spent a bit too much time on Prevention-esque websites.

computer angel has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Dec 29, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Feminism is unnecessary in 2015 tho

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Leave toothbrushes out of the men's section, ladies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toothbrushes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know, I decided to look that guy up, and I think it's just a lovely attempt at being an internet comedy guy. Eg:

quote:

Matt O ‏@Matt_Olszewski Dec 19

Me and my bros have a secret handshake, one kiss on the lips

quote:

Matt O ‏@Matt_Olszewski Dec 18

I've spent over 500 dollars on Christmas to ensure my place in heaven

He also has a few tweets calling out racists.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Toothbrushes are too phallic for true men. Keep that poo poo in the women's aisle.

Also, as far as diets go, my roommate is on a ketosis diet so he eats bacon and bacon fat every day to lose weight. He loves his diet.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CommonShore posted:

You know, I decided to look that guy up, and I think it's just a lovely attempt at being an internet comedy guy. Eg:

He also has a few tweets calling out racists.

There's a bit of a special timing you need to give tweets you intend to be read as funny. This guy does not have such a thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpacePig posted:

There's a bit of a special timing you need to give tweets you intend to be read as funny. This guy does not have such a thing.

Yeah. I'm just drawing the distinction between different kinds of IOSM. He's not really being a misogynist. Poe's law in action.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've worked on a fruit store for a long enough time to understand the main difference between biological and "regular" fruit\vegetables.

Organic costs three to four times as much and spoils three to four hours after being bought.

That's literally it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

mng posted:

It was liked by a someone from Australia, even. Romas sure get around :v:

"Pikeys" are Irish Travellers, not Roma, right? Or am I out of touch with racist slurs?

Are there many Roma or Travellers in Australia, anyway, or was that guy just thumbs upping on general principle?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Pikeys" are Irish Travellers, not Roma, right? Or am I out of touch with racist slurs?

Are there many Roma or Travellers in Australia, anyway, or was that guy just thumbs upping on general principle?

I think they just call all non-white people "lebbos". :v:

The racist slurs for Irish travellers and Roma tend to be interchangeable, in my experience.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Cosima posted:

I've not really paid attention to what is factual and what is fear-mongering when it comes to organic food because I just buy regular produce. Just looking at this website (I live in Ontario), it seems like antibiotics and growth hormones might not be the best things ever, and also irradiation sounds scary (might not mean anything, just sounds bad). Any one care to explain?
My general opinion is that all these "scary" sounding things are essential in the large scale production of food and don't really pose a public health concern because the government isn't secretly trying to give everyone cancer and so on.

Your opinion is correct. There's a lot of bullshit surrounding food and its production nowadays and unfortunately the loudest people tend to be the most scientifically illiterate. Many people think organic food means no pesticides, but like what your quote says, it just means no synthetic pesticides. What it doesn't mention is that natural pesticides used in organic farming are often more toxic than synthetic pesticides. Organic farming isn't actually that great for the environment overall either.

Antibiotics don't actually end up in meat, eggs, or milk if I recall correctly. I don't know as much about it, and there may be some valid points regarding overuse, but if an animal is sick, I'm not sure it's very humane to let them suffer.

Now I can go on and on about the anti gmo movement and gmo labeling but I'll spare you all. Labeling is a dumb idea, though. Also in regards to radiation, irradiating a plant to attempt to develop a new trait is considered an acceptable method in organics. If you like, I can try to gather some sources when I'm not on my phone but if you want to do your own reading, look up Genetic Literacy Project.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SpacePig posted:

Leave toothbrushes out of the men's section, ladies.

Real men stab their teeth clean with knives.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Many conventionally grown cultivars of fruit and veggies you find at the grocery store are designed to be as large & retain as much water as possible. While this does result in tubs full of uniform, large shiney apples for you to buy, it also dilutes the nutrition of the food. Organically grown produce has more nutrition in it than conventionally grown food.

As far as enkvironmental reasons for buying organic go, a 'farm' like Earthbound that grows organic is no better than a conventional farm, because they deal in large-scale monocrops which deplete the soil of nutrition and fauna, and drastically reduce the biodiversity of an area. Small scale growers, like some of the ones at your farmers markets (unless they're shite redistributors of food and should be shot for pretending to be farmers), really do help steward and preserve the land they grow on. Not to say they don't drive out wildlife by cultivating land, but smaller lots mean more hedgerows where mammals and birds can live.

Know your grower! Eat local & organic!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Many conventionally grown cultivars of fruit and veggies you find at the grocery store are designed to be as large & retain as much water as possible. While this does result in tubs full of uniform, large shiney apples for you to buy, it also dilutes the nutrition of the food. Organically grown produce has more nutrition in it than conventionally grown food.

As far as enkvironmental reasons for buying organic go, a 'farm' like Earthbound that grows organic is no better than a conventional farm, because they deal in large-scale monocrops which deplete the soil of nutrition and fauna, and drastically reduce the biodiversity of an area. Small scale growers, like some of the ones at your farmers markets (unless they're shite redistributors of food and should be shot for pretending to be farmers), really do help steward and preserve the land they grow on. Not to say they don't drive out wildlife by cultivating land, but smaller lots mean more hedgerows where mammals and birds can live.

Unless you're LoB, please source your quotes.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Nah.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

DavidAlltheTime posted:

This is a good post.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cosima posted:

Good to know. My dad's girlfriend is hesitant to use the microwave (because cancer???)

Just for the record, all a microwave does is hit your food with a big magnet a bunch. The magnetic field sorta bounces around in there, and when it passes through a water molecule it drags the positive and negative poles with it. This makes them vibrate, which is what causes heat.

This is worth knowing because the type of people who think microwaves cause cancer are generally the same type of people who think that magnets will heal you.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

This is a good post.

The difference in nutrients found in a few studies is basically negligible. I think a recent study found that organic crops have a noticeable amount more antioxidants than non-organic but the role antioxidants play in diet and nutrition is still pretty undecided. The studies also don't really control very well, since what "organic" means isn't the same from one grower to another. Some use natural pesticides, some don't use any, some use a lot of fertizilier, some don't etc. So it's not exactly easy to make any broad claims about organic food in general

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Yeah it really depends on if you're talking about a small farm versus larger scale farming. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against buying local, but I have doubts the average yuppie gives a poo poo about that as long as it has the organic seal IT HAS TO BE BETTER RIGHT GUYS

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Yep. Organic is useless environmentally w/o local. There's still the problem of lower yeilds.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

scorpiobean posted:

Antibiotics don't actually end up in meat, eggs, or milk if I recall correctly. I don't know as much about it, and there may be some valid points regarding overuse, but if an animal is sick, I'm not sure it's very humane to let them suffer.

The widespread use of antibiotics in the meat industry is not for the purpose of treating animals with an infection, but instead given en masse to all animals in the farm population to increase growth rates. This is very wise and will not create huge problems in the future.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Just for the record, all a microwave does is hit your food with a big magnet a bunch. The magnetic field sorta bounces around in there, and when it passes through a water molecule it drags the positive and negative poles with it. This makes them vibrate, which is what causes heat.

This is worth knowing because the type of people who think microwaves cause cancer are generally the same type of people who think that magnets will heal you.

what, no

Magnetism is involved but is not the mechanism by which things get heated. That's done by, you know, microwaves. Which are generated by using a magnetic field. If it used a magnetic field to heat your food it would be called a magnoven or something.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

what, no

Magnetism is involved but is not the mechanism by which things get heated. That's done by, you know, microwaves. Which are generated by using a magnetic field. If it used a magnetic field to heat your food it would be called a magnoven or something.

Okay, fine. A high-frequency alternating electromagnetic field, most commonly known as microwave radiation, is what heats the food. The magnetron is only there to generate that effect, which is does by creating a magnetic field. Happy now?

It really seems like you're splitting hairs here. This might just be one of those things that I don't know enough about to see the difference, but the gist of what I said is correct.

quote:

The commonly used frequency of microwaves, 2.45 gigahertz, is easily absorbed by water, fat, and sugar. Says Bloomfield: "The waves are at the right frequency to penetrate deep into food and they deliver cooking power primarily to the food's water content. Water-free solids barely absorb microwaves." That's why microwave-safe containers don't get as hot as the food inside them.

Microwaves heat food, like a cup of coffee or a slice of lasagna, by twisting water molecules back and forth. Water molecules are positively charged at one end and negatively charged at the other. A single water molecule looks like Mickey Mouse's head, says Bloomfield. You can think of the negatively charged oxygen atom as Mickey's face and the two smaller positively charged hydrogen atoms as Mickey's ears.

The positively charged end of the water molecule tries to align itself with the microwave's electric field while the negatively charged end points the other way. But because the field reverses 2.5 billion times a second, Mickey's ears and face are being twisted back and forth rapidly.

As the molecules twist back and forth, they rub into each other. This creates friction, which produces heat.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-do-microwaves-work-2014-6

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Aesop Poprock posted:

The difference in nutrients found in a few studies is basically negligible. I think a recent study found that organic crops have a noticeable amount more antioxidants than non-organic but the role antioxidants play in diet and nutrition is still pretty undecided. The studies also don't really control very well, since what "organic" means isn't the same from one grower to another. Some use natural pesticides, some don't use any, some use a lot of fertizilier, some don't etc. So it's not exactly easy to make any broad claims about organic food in general

Environmentally though. Try feeding 7.2 billion people using organic methods. Goodbye every acre of wilderness, goodbye freshwater, hello peak phosphorus

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Wanamingo posted:

Well now I have something more clear to tell the bf's sister. She's really sweet, but is the type to use a lot of mom logic, though at least not righteously. At thanksgiving, which she kindly hosted, she kept announcing her microwave use during preparations. Her kids seemed tacitly used to it and would calmly evacuate the kitchen. I just sat at the bar which was, in her mind, in the trajectory of the microwaves. She then started apologizing for "blasting" me.
I told her not to worry about it, that to my knowledge microwaves are pretty long wavelength and no more dangerous than radio waves. Poor thing just blinked at me, and then started giving her warnings a little more hesitantly.

I maintain that I was not being a sperglord about it, just in case any of you are imagining that I own a fedora.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bad things happening to cast members of Glee brings me a small amount of joy so I always check when Facebook says something about them. It also gave me this:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
"Non-Prophet orgs" caught my eye, then I figured why not throw in some bonus public comments.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'd be ok with saying nobody on Social Security can vote, tbh

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Byzantine posted:

I'd be ok with saying nobody on Social Security can vote, tbh

Poor white people and olds vote repub lock and step so that will never happen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

loving old people

Just hurry up and die grandma

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

oldpainless posted:

loving old people

Just hurry up and die grandma

The best thing is the next generation of Republicans are the gamergaters, MRAs, internet libertarians and probably internet atheists.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blind Pineapple posted:

"Non-Prophet orgs" caught my eye, then I figured why not throw in some bonus public comments.

And what's wrong with a literacy test? Shouldn't you have to know how to read before you vote?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A professor stood before his philosophy class

How do people think college works when they make up these stories because for the most part it's just someone standing in front of a powerpoint lecture and reading off the slides so that you have to memorize things for multiple choice exams

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

quote:

Nobody has an irrational fear of faggots or trannies. Why do they use the word phobia?

Not wanting to spend time with butt fuckers or genital mutilaters doesn't make mean I'm afraid of them. Also, it's definitely not irrational.

quote:

Dislike of degenerates and the severely mentally ill who won't seek help is somehow a fear now. I don't get it either.

quote:

The biggest gently caress up is coming up with Islamophobia as if having your country invaded by Muslim pieces of poo poo does not increase assaults and rape, as if there's no threat of terrorism and in the future civil war and government takeover.

quote:

Just wait in the next few months peadophobia will be a thing. Examples of paedophilesd with "healthy and consensual" relationships with kids will pop up in the next few years. Look at how far transexuals and gay people have come specifically transgenderism recently. Paedophiles see an opportunity and they will exploit it and if they use the tactics of the left they may get somewhere rather than having the poo poo kicked out of them as they deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We don't actually have teeth down there.