Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you win some, lose some, it's all the same to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Red posted:

I got it for the wife and didn't think much of it, but watching her play, holy crap, it's an actual game. And it's pretty. And good.

It looks hella fun but the Yoshi aiming still being that same poo poo from snes is lame as gently caress. We have analog sticks now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I actually agree with Taint Reaper on Mario Maker. I want to like it way more then I do. The gimmick of it got tired pretty quick and I found myself just wanting a proper Mario platformer instead. Splatoon is great though.

What "gimmick"? The only thing really "gimmicky" about Mario maker is costume and amiibo support, and those are pretty ancillary to level creation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

It looks hella fun but the Yoshi aiming still being that same poo poo from snes is lame as gently caress. We have analog sticks now.

jeff pls

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I have learned more about good level design creation with Mario Maker than I have with any other resource in decades of gaming other than Shovel Knight, which should be required reading for game design.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Wired posts some really stupid articles but I'm having a good laugh at all the people in the comments asking where Fallout 4 and StarCraft are and calling their selection trendy indie crap nobody plays.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

whaley posted:

Wired posts some really stupid articles but I'm having a good laugh at all the people in the comments asking where Fallout 4 and StarCraft are and calling their selection trendy indie crap nobody plays.

Every "best games of 2015" article I've read so far has had at least one stupid pick in it. Most of the time it's that Her Story "game". I don't know the first thing about it, but it sure looks like something that doesn't belong on a "best games of 2015" list. Maybe a best of 1994 game (because it looks like a Sega CD game)

Also, any list that has Super Mario Maker at #1 is either off their rocker or written by someone's dad. Yeah I said it. I've seen it at #1 twice so far.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

raditts posted:

That guy was a musician? I only ever knew him from his lovely '80s talk show.

What was the "really cool forum" that Lemmy was the basis for?

Just some other forum that I go to with cool people that I know in it. Nothing too important.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

jivjov posted:

What "gimmick"? The only thing really "gimmicky" about Mario maker is costume and amiibo support, and those are pretty ancillary to level creation.

I should've specified as that came off as really condescending. I meant the wacky rear end stages that seem to permeate the mario challenges. I don't really care for building, but I can see how those that like it could REALLY like it as the tools are very intuitive. Unfortunately it doesn't grab me, personally, like I wish it did.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Rayman Legends and Origins were the best Mario games to come out in years until 3D World.

Not that many years, then?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

enojy posted:

Every "best games of 2015" article I've read so far has had at least one stupid pick in it. Most of the time it's that Her Story "game". I don't know the first thing about it, but it sure looks like something that doesn't belong on a "best games of 2015" list. Maybe a best of 1994 game (because it looks like a Sega CD game)

Also, any list that has Super Mario Maker at #1 is either off their rocker or written by someone's dad. Yeah I said it. I've seen it at #1 twice so far.

Her Story is a really poorly acted cliche'd murder mystery FMV "game" that has 0 player interaction in it other then watching a couple mp4 files. At the end you go "I think I get it" then close it and never look at it again because it's trashgarbage.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

using the right stick to aim would be awful

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I feel jivjov'd by New Super Mario Bros. U for not letting me play coop with the pad and a pro controller. It feels especially obtuse considering 3D world lets you just fine.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KidDynamite posted:

You're an idiot and this idea would objectively make the game significantly worse. Go sit in the corner and feel bad about what you've done.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just wanna know why I can't use tilt aiming on the gamepad. It has the sensors, a ton of other games use them for exactly that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

I just wanna know why I can't use tilt aiming on the gamepad. It has the sensors, a ton of other games use them for exactly that.

gently caress off! The aiming is perfect! Tilt aiming? Get the gently caress out of here!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

maybe you should "aim" to make better posts

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Stumpus posted:

I feel jivjov'd by New Super Mario Bros. U for not letting me play coop with the pad and a pro controller. It feels especially obtuse considering 3D world lets you just fine.

Yeah; gamepad being either single player only or "weird GM Mode" is really bizarre and not very user friendly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Looper posted:

using the right stick to aim would be awful

Yoshi's Story used the analog stick to aim eggs and I don't remember it being so awful. :shrug:

Unless I am remembering completely wrong, which is possible. I've flushed most memories of that game...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

Her Story is really bad and I say that as someone who likes walking simulators and other such indie wank art games

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Visual novels have more player interaction

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stumpus posted:

Launch titles never really make effective use of the console they're being made for, chalk it up to that.

enojy posted:

Most of the time it's that Her Story "game". I don't know the first thing about it, but it sure looks like something that doesn't belong on a "best games of 2015" list. Maybe a best of 1994 game (because it looks like a Sega CD game)

I haven't played Her Story and I'm not interested in it but you probably shouldn't talk poo poo about games you've never played before, it isn't a very good habit.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This seems...ill advised.

quote:

Didn't Nintendo rip off modders first?
Just because they own Mario doesn't mean that they invented this.
For years there are Mario tools on pc.
Also my friends own a Wii U, we just heavily dislike the input devices and something like this I would rather play on pc with our favorite input device.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
ToysRus was so desperate to unload their Nintendo stuff they put a few copies of Goemon The Mystical Ninja for the n64 on their shelves.

a game that drat old laying in their warehouse for years.

and i bought it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

You guys are really mad about aim opinions. Trying to decide if I want to buy an external drive just to play Xenoblade.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Taint Reaper posted:

ToysRus was so desperate to unload their Nintendo stuff they put a few copies of Goemon The Mystical Ninja for the n64 on their shelves.

a game that drat old laying in their warehouse for years.

and i bought it

Get me a copy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rudoku posted:

Get me a copy.

No

they're all mine....

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jivjov posted:

I guess people are shocked and surprised that the main draw of a game called "Mario Maker" is the ability to make Mario levels.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Not that many years, then?

Well, between Super Mario World and whenever it was that they came out, however many years that is.
I'd still say they're better than any 2D Marios that have come out since then.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 29, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

rest of thread posted:

HOW DARE YOU SIR

Is this really that controversial an opinion? I've always hated that dumb aiming poo poo too. They could at least give the option.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KidDynamite posted:

You guys are really mad about aim opinions. Trying to decide if I want to buy an external drive just to play Xenoblade.

Dont. You dont deserve Xenoblade

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

raditts posted:

Is this really that controversial an opinion? I've always hated that dumb aiming poo poo too. They could at least give the option.

i just wanted to make the joke

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The truth about Larry:

quote:

The hairstyle on one of them reminded me of Ludwig von Beethoven for some reason and Ludwig von Koopa was born. Next was the one with the glasses—that has to be Roy Koopa in homage to Roy Orbison, who almost always wore glasses. Then Wendy O. Koopa (Wendy O. Williams) [and] Iggy Koopa (Iggy Pop). One looked like a loudmouth, so he was Morton Koopa Jr. from [the] loud-mouthed talk show host Morton Downey Jr. And then there was Larry. There’s no real-world equivalent—he’s not Larry Mullen Jr. from U2 or Larry King—he just looked like a Larry.

If it looks like a Larry, talks like a Larry....

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm pretty sure Yoshi's Woolly World allows tilt-aiming if you play with the horizontal Wiimote.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Any chance at getting a different console bundle than garbage Mario Kart 8? My area is completely wiped out of Splatoon/Smash Bros.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Harlock posted:

Any chance at getting a different console bundle than garbage Mario Kart 8? My area is completely wiped out of Splatoon/Smash Bros.

What about 3D World / Nintendoland? That's a pretty solid bundle IMO.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Harlock posted:

It's the best Mario kart ever dude

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mario maker bundle?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mario Maker is great but it's really not a "replacement" for a Mario platformer, or an endless stream of traditional Mario levels, which some people seem to think it would be. It's its own beast and it's awesome.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

raditts posted:

What about 3D World / Nintendoland? That's a pretty solid bundle IMO.

That one is pretty good, but don't see it in stores.

I have a ton of Target gift cards to burn, so the Mario Maker one is good but it's Walmart exclusive :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Tender Bender posted:

Mario Maker is great but it's really not a "replacement" for a Mario platformer, or an endless stream of traditional Mario levels, which some people seem to think it would be. It's its own beast and it's awesome.

Could you imagine an official Donkey Kong Country Maker? Stages consisting of tires and zingers everywhere and some stages forcing you to cartwheel as Diddy across the entire stage without stopping.

Those loving rock Kremlings from the first DKC littered all over the place.

• Locked thread