Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I...kind of want to hear this Pope's story.

Like how does that happen?

he's Italian. +200 electability really helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

he's Italian. +200 electability really helps

Yeah but how does a peasant revolt leader become a priest in the first place?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My favourite pope was excommunicated when he became pope. I love popes.

skipThings posted:

someone tell me how to enjoy CK2 despite that lovely "well your dad died, no more war", poo poo

skipThings posted:

if everyones answer is just "learn to have fun like me/differently" it won't win me over

Why ask how to have fun playing the game if the answers aren't really going to help? Like yeah it's fair that you're not going to like things in exactly the way others do but if that's the case there's no need to ask how other people enjoy it. It's not as though any of us (except groogy i guess) can change that.

Anyway, the answers are play through it because it doesn't happen too often or reload a save if it's too frustrating. I reload when stuff I consider bullshit happens, and I imagine most people do. Though what counts as bullshit is an individual thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah but how does a peasant revolt leader become a priest in the first place?

Dude revolts, loses, is imprisoned, liege lets him go, he somehow inherits a bishopric, then gets elected Pope

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Drone posted:

Dude revolts, loses, is imprisoned, liege lets him go, he somehow inherits a bishopric, then gets elected Pope
Nope, doesn't have the "hopes and dreams crushed" malus Paradox added to stop you from using their high-stat generated rebels for your own benefit.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

He has a dynasty so he won his rebellion but the county was taken back at some point.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Could have been a theocracy to begin with and the barony was held by some other realm.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
He's the High Sparrow :v:

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
I the game I'm playing right now The Papacy lost Rome to a peasant revolt which created an independent Theocracy of Rome that survived quite a while before The Papacy took it back. It's not inconceivable that something similar could happen and then that peasant leader get elected.
His claim there may even tell you where it happened.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What's the reasoning for being able to press all claims on behalf of other claimants but not being able to do a press all for your own de jure claims? Now that I've formed Britannia, it's getting pretty tedious taking Scotland one county at a time while assassinating each subsequent title holder so I don't have to wait a decade of truce.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So in my reformed Romuva game, my current High Priest is unlanded (and resides in Stettin apparently, which is both Catholic and outside my borders, but whatever.) If I grant him a county or duchy and then independence, will he effectively become akin to the Papal states? Or will the landed title go to his kid on his death while the High Priest title gets picked up by someone else?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

What's the reasoning for being able to press all claims on behalf of other claimants but not being able to do a press all for your own de jure claims?

Pressing what for whom now? I've never been able to press for more than one De Jure claim in a given war :confused:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drone posted:

So in my reformed Romuva game, my current High Priest is unlanded (and resides in Stettin apparently, which is both Catholic and outside my borders, but whatever.) If I grant him a county or duchy and then independence, will he effectively become akin to the Papal states? Or will the landed title go to his kid on his death while the High Priest title gets picked up by someone else?

I tried to do that with the fylkirate (Norse high priest pope) and the title was destroyed the next time I looked for him so be careful

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Excelzior posted:

Pressing what for whom now? I've never been able to press for more than one De Jure claim in a given war :confused:

That's what I'm complaining about. I can grab whole swathes of land at once on behalf of one of my courtiers, but for my own de jure claims, I'm stuck pecking away county by county.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

moot the hopple posted:

That's what I'm complaining about. I can grab whole swathes of land at once on behalf of one of my courtiers, but for my own de jure claims, I'm stuck pecking away county by county.

De jure claims and claim claims are different. If, for instance, you abused the fact that a vassal pope can not refuse your requests to grant claims on titles (maybe they removed that at some point, but it was a thing in the past at least) to get claims for like ten counties and four duchies, then you can totally press them all at once. It's the difference between "I, the Duke of Bourbon, have a claim on this county because it belonged to my mother" and "I, the Duke of Bourbon, have a claim on this county because as the ruler of this duchy, the count of this place should be my vassal". I think it's just a gameplay thing since claim claims are rarer than de jure claims, which everybody has.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

I tried to do that with the fylkirate (Norse high priest pope) and the title was destroyed the next time I looked for him so be careful
The Fylkirate is secular though, while the inferior pagan religions high-priest titles aren't.

Might work.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I really like being a Greek Messalian...just so I can castrate all my brothers and sleep with my sisters. :ohdear:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I really like being a Greek Messalian...just so I can castrate all my brothers and sleep with my sisters. :ohdear:

drat I haven't seen that av in a loving minute

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is the game of thrones mod still a poo poo show? I've started rewatching the series and I'm getting an itch to play, but I heard that it basically broke itself in a spectacular way when the latest expansion came out.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the game of thrones mod still a poo poo show? I've started rewatching the series and I'm getting an itch to play, but I heard that it basically broke itself in a spectacular way when the latest expansion came out.

I don't play it personally, but I've heard the newest major update fixes a lot of the prior bullshit.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

verbal enema posted:

gently caress Venice.

Just fuckem

Venice the Menace. :agreed:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

mythomanic posted:

I don't play it personally, but I've heard the newest major update fixes a lot of the prior bullshit.

It doesn't seem to be broken, but it is bloated as gently caress and runs really, really slowly, even on a good PC. I can't see why they added the irrelevant, barely-mentioned far off parts of Essos where nobody will ever play because who gives a poo poo about Asshai.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm thinking of jumping back into this game. What if any quality of life mods are must-have (pretty map, UI improvements, hotkeys, etc...) these days?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

double nine posted:

I'm thinking of jumping back into this game. What if any quality of life mods are must-have (pretty map, UI improvements, hotkeys, etc...) these days?

They actually fixed poo poo they broke for some reason. The "combine all armies" button is back, press g when you have several armies selected.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Guildencrantz posted:

It doesn't seem to be broken, but it is bloated as gently caress and runs really, really slowly, even on a good PC. I can't see why they added the irrelevant, barely-mentioned far off parts of Essos where nobody will ever play because who gives a poo poo about Asshai.

That's why there's the Westeros Only submod, now if Vytatas would update the Westeros Only+ mod (which includes just a few of the Free Cities, so that all the major Westeros events work), things would be great.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I started an 867 game as Socotra. I event converted to Messalian, but I couldn't demand anyone's conversion because 4 different Muslim counts/dukes declared holy wars on me at pretty much the same time in quick succession. I raised my 1100 soldiers and none of the pissant attackers had enough ships to bring an overwhelming force, so I had to wait about a decade as their ships floated helplessly near my island and the warscores slowly creeped up to 100% (needed that piety from their total surrenders for the 'exalted among men' goal). It was good to get all that prestige and moral authority, but it would have been nice to hold a summer fair or a feast or something in all that time, too. Also I went on a business expedition during the wars and became a friend of one of the counts attacking me. Well that was my story I hope you liked it.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

skipThings posted:

well, I am a lazy masochist who doesn't want to bother to learn console spells

if everyones answer is just "learn to have fun like me/differently" it won't win me over
You can savescum in iron man you just have to ctrl alt del the ck2 process

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so I finally managed to get a good 767 Kiev game going..

what's the best Empire title to go for as Ruthenia? I'm thinking Carpathia, since the 767 start doesn't have to deal with the Magyar's Land Taking

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ok so if someone is murdered and the murderer is caught the lil red skull tells you that. If someone is executed the lil red skull tells you that too.

I want it so if someone is Blinded or Castrated to let me know who did that too as that would really allow some proper revenge. Maybe even Maimed so you can see if it was in battle or in torture.

Someone blinded my wife before I wed her (wasn't paying attention) and I'd really reeeeally like to know who I must have trampled beneath the Magyar hooves

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also whenever some random dumb prick wins a tournament or wargames i pretend its a dumb goon playing mount and blade

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there really a downside to just de jure drifting vast swathes of land into my primary title? My Lithuania game has been expanding pretty slowly. I've de jure drifted all of Poland into Lithuania so the title doesn't exist anymore (just to see if you could actually do that and yep, you can). I'm expanding eastward now but not able to do it fast enough to prevent Ruthenian/Russian duchies from drifting because of the massive nomadic hordes.

Is the only real downside that I'll have a harder time forming an Empire, since for that you need to have two King titles?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Drone posted:

Is there really a downside to just de jure drifting vast swathes of land into my primary title? My Lithuania game has been expanding pretty slowly. I've de jure drifted all of Poland into Lithuania so the title doesn't exist anymore (just to see if you could actually do that and yep, you can). I'm expanding eastward now but not able to do it fast enough to prevent Ruthenian/Russian duchies from drifting because of the massive nomadic hordes.

Is the only real downside that I'll have a harder time forming an Empire, since for that you need to have two King titles?

Three!!! I did the same thing in my first game actually, took over lithuania and pommerania as a norse dynasty and disappeared pommerania thru de jure drift. Lithuanian crown in that game stretched from finland to fukken denmark along the southern baltic coast, sh*t was t*ght as heck.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Drone posted:

not even then; once you de jure drift EVERYTHING the title simply becomes Titular (with no De Jure land attached, so no one Desires it) and those count too for the purposes of forming empires.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008
Drifting large kingdoms can have a bit of a downside if you go on to Empire blob size.
If you keep the king title you will have a ton of duke vassals running up your limit, and a lot of "desires the Kingdom of Lithuania" opinion malus.
If you give away the title you have a super king that will end up hating you because he wants your capital duchy/county, unless you've moved them outside the kingdom.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2018

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Drone posted:

If someone presses their claim for Lithuania and wins, instead of only losing your Lithuanian possessions you would lose almost all of them, since they would get all the land in the de jure kingdom. This should only be a problem if you have a spread out dynasty with lots of potential adventurers and claim bombs for your enemy to use, though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As Mathilda of Tuscany I always like to matrimarry the son of one of Robert d'Hautville's older brothers for the strong claims to immediately press. Generally have to invite him to court first THEN matrimarry though.

Edit: Robert, not Roger.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 2, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The War of the Roses, sorry, Western Europe 1469 mod guy is busy adding historical Denmark.

Why Denmark is necessary I do not know.

Because once you start modding you can't stop.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Because once you start modding you can't stop.

Truth. I've spent more time modding games over the holidays than playing those games. Feature creep isn't bad judgment, it's a pathology and we all need help.

• Locked thread