Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I think there's something to be said in the fact that Tolkien focused on the Children of Húrin after having finished the LotR. Having read the appendix in said book it comes across that it was clearly the most complete of his unfinished drafts, the appendix mentions his other two developed stories to be Beren and Luthien and Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin. Yet it's also by far somehow the bleakest of those drafts. Beren and Luthien is a straight up success and while the Fall of Gondolin is very bad it results in the ultimate victory over Morgoth. The Children of Húrin on the other hand is pretty much all around bleak resulting in the destruction of an elf kingdom and the last two strongholds of Edain. The victory over Glaurung is pretty hollow ultimately even if it's clearly a good thing.

Why would Tolkien focus on what seems to be the most negative of his legends?

The immediately post-war period was extremely bleak. Bear in mind that in Tolkien's hypothetical allegorical LotR in the second edition, the Ring would represent nuclear weaponry and Saruman the USSR. Turin's story was also much more developed than the other two, as Beren and Lúthien was intended for poetic form, I think, and Tolkien never made much more than a brief sketch of the story of Tuor, essential to the Fall of Gondolin.

Hogge Wild posted:

why are americans obsessed with happy endings

Why are Finns alcoholics, Brits terrible cooks? Who can say where stereotype emerges from in the mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Beren and Luthien is one of my favorite myths and love stories, to be quite honest.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Effectronica posted:

Why are Finns alcoholics

cos they drink so much, op

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Aren't most mythological stories ultimately tragedies rather than happy endings though? And as that's what Tolkien was obviously aiming for (with both LOTR and his other writings), it sort of stands to reason that his myths would be tragic as well?

Despite the victories of Aragorn's crowning, Sauron's defeat, Sam/Merry/Pippin running the Shire etc, in LOTR there's a very strong sense of tragedy and decline, that the world is permanently worse off overall, as the elves are leaving. And of course Frodo lays down his life in the final chapter to finally achieve peace.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's actually pretty true I feel.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's like the passing of the day, one might say a kind of twilight.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I think Tolkien was heavily influenced by Germanic and Norse mythology, and those traditions are even bleaker still: at Ragnarok, evil is essentially destined to win. There is no moral reason to be a good person, other than the innate moral goodness of it. Galadriel's lament / exhortation that "...together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat," is very telling. Tolkien takes the old tradition, however, and gives it the glimmer of Christian hope: we're all doomed in the end, except for the eucatastrophic intervention of God.

At any rate, I think The Children of Húrin shows off this melancholic view on worldly struggles.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Tolkien was fairly pessimistic about this life. Maybe not depressed but deeply sorrowful the direction the world was heading in.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I think Tolkien was heavily influenced by Germanic and Norse mythology, and those traditions are even bleaker still: at Ragnarok, evil is essentially destined to win.
It's not that evil wins. Everything dies, including the forces of evil. Then life can begin anew. Aragorn speech at the Black Gates really resembles the Voluspå by the way:
Brothers will fight
and kill each other,
sisters' children
will defile kinship.
It is harsh in the world,
whoredom rife
—an axe age, a sword age
—shields are riven—
a wind age, a wolf age—

A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Men comes crashing down

quote:

There is no moral reason to be a good person, other than the innate moral goodness of it.
Hávamál, which is Odin speaking to humans, have a bunch of moral rules though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ynglaur posted:

I think Tolkien was heavily influenced by Germanic and Norse mythology, and those traditions are even bleaker still: at Ragnarok, evil is essentially destined to win. There is no moral reason to be a good person, other than the innate moral goodness of it. Galadriel's lament / exhortation that "...together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat," is very telling. Tolkien takes the old tradition, however, and gives it the glimmer of Christian hope: we're all doomed in the end, except for the eucatastrophic intervention of God.

At any rate, I think The Children of Húrin shows off this melancholic view on worldly struggles.

What struck me about the Children of Hurin though is that it's essentially the Middle-Earth version of the Book of Job, specifically the Judeo-Christian conundrum that if God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent, then why do bad things happen to good people. Even if God's plan prevails in the long term, it seems to be little solace to those in the here and now that have to eat poo poo. And unlike Christianity and even Judaism, Tolkien's mythology is purposely vague on the fate of Human souls after death and there's no definitive statement that "After the End Times everyone comes back to life now that things are great again." (not counting the Final Battle that he later abandoned)

I'm not saying its a bad story or that its somehow out of place. In fact, I'd guess that as a theologian himself Tolkien probably put a lot of thought on the questions left by his religion, which would have given the impetus to complete Hurin's story as opposed to other stories of the First Age.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think Tolkien wanted to make his stories compatible with his Catholic beliefs, at least in emotional terms if not literal reality, but without making them allegories like Lewis did. I imagine this is why he focused a lot on elves (who had their own parallel theological/existential challenges) or hobbits (who are bucolic idiots), so he could avoid having heavy focus on the underlying realities that would come up from either focusing on humanity (who would have some kind of theological belief or at least speculation of same) or Gandalf, who is essentially a minor angel.

Of course, in a sense Elves wouldn't have any reason to have religion - at least the Noldor. Galadriel had quite literally seen the Valar with her own eyes and had probably chatted with them at length, and probably there were various other Noldor hanging around with similar stories. If nothing else it would make it hard to seriously distort observations on the nature of the Valar, since you'd have an eye-witness on hand.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Nessus posted:

or hobbits (who are bucolic idiots)
Saruman, I thought you were a mere spirit of ill-will after Wormtongue killed you! Nice to know you can type on the internet now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Friar John posted:

Saruman, I thought you were a mere spirit of ill-will after Wormtongue killed you! Nice to know you can type on the internet now.

(USER WAS IMPRISONED ATOP THE SPIRE OF ORTHANC FOR THIS POST)

Has anyone ever tried to explain what's wrong with a nice deep dungeon? Surely the Numenoreans would have had use for one, even if Saruman himself never had the time to get round to digging one out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Saruman thought Gandalf needed a broader perspective. And he's prone to taking things too literally, what with all the cogs, gears, and smoke in his mind. :v:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Has anyone ever tried to explain what's wrong with a nice deep dungeon? Surely the Numenoreans would have had use for one, even if Saruman himself never had the time to get round to digging one out.
Tend to get infested with Balrogs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If I wanted to collect this particular printing of The History of Middle Earth:

Is there a good way to go about it? Amazon has like 30 different versions and editions listed, and its really hard to track down this particular design.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Trin Tragula posted:

Later on, in Moria, Gandalf uses a spell to keep a door closed against the Balrog. Probably he could also use a spell to blow open the door of a dungeon cell. He can't fly on his own, though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Could Smaugh's fire melted the Ring of Power?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Could Smaugh's fire melted the Ring of Power?

Gandalf, Fellowship I.2 posted:

It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself.

Some of the other rings were destroyed by old dragons, but none could destroy the One, for Sauron was older and more powerful than the dragons, especially before his death in Numenor, which weakened him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Kassad posted:

Later on, in Moria, Gandalf uses a spell to keep a door closed against the Balrog. Probably he could also use a spell to blow open the door of a dungeon cell. He can't fly on his own, though.

The Balrog uses a counter-spell to force the door open (the door can't take the strain of the two competing spells and bursts into pieces), so that's definitely a thing that Can Happen.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When the Sons of Feanor attack Sirion is it just the seven of them or do they have followers?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so tell me about how Tolkien was a reactionary anti-modernist right winger who longed for the days of medieval Catholic theocracy and landed aristocracy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

so tell me about how Tolkien was a reactionary anti-modernist right winger who longed for the days of medieval Catholic theocracy and landed aristocracy

Well start with reading the lord of the Rings.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Anarcho-monarchy 4 lyfe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

When the Sons of Feanor attack Sirion is it just the seven of them or do they have followers?

When was this. After the fall of Gondolin right?

Oh spoilers. Gondolin gets wrecked.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Baron Porkface posted:

Could be wrong but I suspect it's deliberately ambiguous. In sagas and medieval manuscripts people would routinely refer to the leader personally but mean their whole army, even when saying things like "Arthur personally slew" etc.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

icantfindaname posted:

The Belgian posted:

Anarcho-monarchy 4 lyfe

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

When was this. After the fall of Gondolin right?

Oh spoilers. Gondolin gets wrecked.

It was at like the way end I thought, after Morgoth got boned.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

There were vast works under the tower. Full of orcs doing orky things.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know that the movies are a bit divisive, but can we all agree that the soundtrack is great? I read the Lord of the Rings and I hear the soundtrack in my head even though I don't picture Viggo Mortensen and pals as their characters. except Saruman. Christopher Lee is Saruman :colbert:

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 29, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Most of the movie depictions have taken permanent residence in my imagination...but the hobbits are never tubby enough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hogge Wild posted:

why are americans obsessed with happy endings

Cause the world is already too depressing as it is, don't really want it leaching over into my fiction as well

jivjov posted:

Is there a good way to go about it? Amazon has like 30 different versions and editions listed, and its really hard to track down this particular design.

I'd be interested in that as well

jivjov posted:

Most of the movie depictions have taken permanent residence in my imagination...but the hobbits are never tubby enough.

I appreciate the movie depictions but definitely prefer a lot of the pre-movie interpretations in art, and a couple post-movie concepts as well

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

jivjov posted:

Fun story - I got that edition of The Lays of Beleriand when I was about 11, because I thought it was going to be a bunch of maps. Turns out I seriously misunderstood what "lays" meant. It wasn't like "lay of the land" at all. I ended up never managing to read it, and now I can't find it anywhere. I'd like to track it down again one day, though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

jivjov posted:

It's my secret shame that I didn't read the book until after I saw the movies. This problem is what led me to not watch past the first Harry Potter movie.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The movies did a great job on like 90% of the imagery IMO probably because they pulled a lot of inspiration from previous art. I don't think Rohan looked how I envisioned it though and the river scene is definetely not as described but eh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was always bugged by three things visually about the landscapes:

1) Rohan should have been a much smoother grassy plain, good for horses. As depicted it was so rocky the horses would have all run screaming for better pastures centuries ago

2) Anduin was nowhere near the size it should have been; I always pictured something Mississippi-wide

3) I wanted more topographical prominence on the Misty Mountains; like, you should have been able to see them looming in the distance from some low pastoral vantage point, instead of being a craggy no-man's-land that they gradually just sort of found themselves in

But all that's down to New Zealand not having much of those kinds of landscapes to work with; and on the plus side it did have some other really important bits in spades, like Mount Doom and the Shire.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I still want to see Gandalf with eyebrows reaching to the brim of his hat.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
And short! Something which stood out to me when returning to The Lord of the Rings after a long absence, during which I'd watched the films, is how few characters are considered Big People. When there's high snow drifts to carve a path through, it's just Aragorn and Boromir who handle it, while Gandalf is a haggard and bent old man and Legolas is merely an elf, probably not much taller than Gimli. (If that?)* McKellan and Mortensen are both, according to IMDb, 5'11". (Bloom as well, apparently.)

The films did brilliant work with perspectives, but didn't take the extra step of figuring out everyone's relative heights. (As I recall, Rhys-Davies was just simply a head taller than all the Hobbit-actors, so they could use the same scaling factor for everyone.)

* I know elves are allegedly tall, but I never notice any description of their appearance beyond "fair" and "beautiful" and "elvish" in general, with "strange-looking" for Legolas and "just like my beautiful wife" for Luthien Arwen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lord of the Rings Online looks a lot more like how I imagined it should look than those movies. Except it needs more featureless plains. Landscape descriptions are the best part of Tolkien.