Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Given how much silly stuff is in the EU, I'm suprised they didn't go with the planned idea of "humans in Star Wars are descended from Richard Dreyfuss's character in American Grafftti after they fell into a wormhole fleeing the world of THX-1138, oh and WIllow is apprently also canon now".

Apparently the book was pitched but turned out, because apparently there is some quality control! I like that no-one knows where the humans in Star Wars came from, it fits the ancient and mysterious galaxy with a long forgotten history thing the first movie had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dear god, someone five me the wikipedia links to this craziness.

In order

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_ap-1

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Century_tank

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lancet_Aerial_Artillery

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Oppressor

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Experimental_M1

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You can waste an entire day reading wiki articles about TIE variants and their myriad histories, I unironically love it.

My favorite is the TIE Defender, but the Interceptor is a real close second.

The TIE Phantom (Rebel Assault 2) and TIE/droid (Dark Empire) are slick looking too

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 29, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Action figures aren't produced in equal quantities, so where Finn was packed heavily into case with half or more being his figure, Rey was likely only one or two per case. This is how the figures of women among the cast have been produced for a few decades because the assumption was "boys don't want to play with the girl toy" but morphed into "we can string collectors along." I used to collect during the prequels and hunting down a particular Leia, or any of the background lady Jedi was stupidly difficult unless it was an "inaction figure" like Mon Mothma. Add all the scummy toy scalpers who would horde figures to increase "rarity" and bam, this is why little kids don't get Rey for Christmas. I'll be surprised if we don't see an all-Rey production run by next spring though (if only to spite the jerks trying to resell it for $100).

Remember those monks who would put their brain in a fishbowl carried by a robot spider? I remember during or just before the prequels that was their first mail-away figure since the early 80s and people just falling all over themselves for it. I sincerely doubt most even knew what it was, but it was "Star Wars" and "rare" so they HAD to have it!

I was lucky and found a Rey at retail. The scalpers were also after Stormtroopers, Kylo Ren and Phasma.

Ackbar is my waifu

Xenomrph posted:

You can waste an entire day reading wiki articles about TIE variants and their myriad histories, I unironically love it.

The TIE Phantom (Rebel Assault 2) and TIE/droid (Dark Empire) are slick looking too

I've spent time making up my own star wars ships and histories behind them as I'm a turbonerd

I was obsessed with the essential guide to vehicles and vessels.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TIE Experimental M1, "Bizarro" Experimental TIE design
TIE Experimental M2, "BigGun" Experimental TIE design
TIE Experimental M3, "Warhead" Experimental TIE design
TIE Experimental M4, "Bomb" Experimental TIE design
TIE Experimental M5, "Booster" Experimental TIE design

These are all hilarious and amazing

e: jesus there are a lot of them

TIE Aggressor
TIE Hunter
TIE Punisher
TIE Lander
TIE Sentinel (this one is particularly bizarre)
TIE Vanguard
TIE Raptor (also pretty goofy)

There's a crapload more but most are just "regular TIE fighter/bomber with more/less weapons" and don't have pictures

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 29, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Without clicking the links, I'm guessing those are the 5 experimental TIEs from Xwing Alliance. Some of those could be motherfuckers, especially in a huge swarm.

outerw
Oct 22, 2012
Did anyone here read the sequel-book to Willow? It was written by George Lucas himself and it was weird as gently caress. It's set like fourteen years after the movie and a giant Apocalypse has happened, almost everyone is dead. Willow is a sorceror going by a different name and that cute little baby ended up being a huge bitch. It had a very "mature" feel, compared to the light fantasy theme of the original. I remember being very non-plussed by the whole affair.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

Without clicking the links, I'm guessing those are the 5 experimental TIEs from Xwing Alliance. Some of those could be motherfuckers, especially in a huge swarm.

The TIE ex1 was a huge bitch because one hit and your A-Wing lost shields

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

outerw posted:

Did anyone here read the sequel-book to Willow? It was written by George Lucas himself and it was weird as gently caress. It's set like fourteen years after the movie and a giant Apocalypse has happened, almost everyone is dead. Willow is a sorceror going by a different name and that cute little baby ended up being a huge bitch. It had a very "mature" feel, compared to the light fantasy theme of the original. I remember being very non-plussed by the whole affair.

you a read a loving willow book lol

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

drunk asian neighbor posted:

These are all hilarious and amazing

e: jesus there are a lot of them

TIE Lander

All the Storm Troopers drunkenly falling out of the bay they were crammed in to owns

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

outerw posted:

The baby was the best thing in that movie. I don't know how they got all the baby actors to be so expressive, but it worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0v4WA-Hg9c

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

The TIE ex1 was a huge bitch because one hit and your A-Wing lost shields
That's because it was firing a goddamn turbo laser if I remember right.

If you edited the Shiplist text file in XWA, you can fly any ship in skirmish mode. And it works in multiplayer if everyone's Shiplist is also edited.
That means you can do TIE Booster dogfights.

As in, a super-speed TIE with no weapons.

And when I say you can fly any ship, I mean ANY ship.

Container Class-A dogfights!

Imperial Star Destroyer dogfights!

It also let you crew the gunnery stations in the freighters in multiplayer. Having 3 people crew the Falcon and reenacting the TIE escape from A New Hope is motherfucking awesome as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rogue squadron was the loving best.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm sorry Rogue Squadron, while good, was babytown frolics compared to the PC flightsims

:colbert:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xenomrph posted:

I'm sorry Rogue Squadron, while good, was babytown frolics compared to the PC flightsims

I don't think that game was meant to be viewed as a flightsim

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

i agree it's just the far superior pc is ignored by the video game makers for the casual consoles. it's partly why new battlefront is utter poo poo!

outerw
Oct 22, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

you a read a loving willow book lol

To be fair I was like twelve and I really liked the movie. There were dragons and an evil witch and some kind of undead knight, it was crazy. The book was just dour and it really should has served as a warning for the insane hole Lucas fell into after the eighties.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm, yes.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

These were all created as throwaway enemies for a early 2000s videogame, where they feature in like 1/8th of the game's levels. I mean of course, they have a dedicated wiki page, why wouldn't they?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What was that star wars game where on the hoth level you could enter a cheat code and play as the yeti? It was N64.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

What was that star wars game where on the hoth level you could enter a cheat code and play as the yeti? It was N64.

Shadows of the Empire, probably?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

sinking belle posted:

"do K" was actually the first entry in the style guide they gave to people who got contracted to write star wars EU stuff

i did K for the showing of this movie and it was way better than it should've been

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Shadows of the Empire, probably?

IIRC that code lay dormant for years when the game was actually released, it took that long before someone figured it out.

The same thing happened with the Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron - game came out like a year before TPM, and nobody found the code until 6 months after the movie's release, when LucasArts themselves released it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

hold L R Z Left on the DPad all C Buttons and slowly tilt the joystick left and right.

_WAMPA_STAMPA

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

IIRC that code lay dormant for years when the game was actually released, it took that long before someone figured it out.

The same thing happened with the Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron - game came out like a year before TPM, and nobody found the code until 6 months after the movie's release, when LucasArts themselves released it.

I v clearly remember doing the poo poo code not long at all after the game came out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenomrph posted:

The Tie Avenger/Advanced is my favorite. It's the A-Wing of the Imperial fleet, and the missions where you fought against Zaarin's rogue Tie Defender wings was awesome because you were the underdog against the OP bastards.

The Advanced was also sexy as gently caress.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shadows of the empire ruled they should release that on steam like we got turok.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groovelord Neato posted:

shadows of the empire ruled they should release that on steam like we got turok.

Dash Rendar is a loving boss and I had the Outrider in one of those little mini star wars vehicle packs.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

You can emulate the n64 almost perfect on computers now but yeah I kind of just want them streamlined for PC already. I want to give them money and they wont let me.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

Lol whut.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nY_mqgzOUg

I need muddy graphics and terrible controls but on steam! That game is poo poo. Everyone forgets there was 12 hours of awful awful game after the battle of hoth intro.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 30, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i learned from that game that the monster in the death star's trash compactor is called a dianoga.

they usually fix the controls when they put it on steam...like turok is kb+m dude.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Well they made that code impossible to guess, they were ninjas about it

HALIFAX?

YNGWIE!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The TIE Mauler is a cool idea in theory, just... not so much on the execution. Like something neat could have been done with the idea of the Empire having hordes of lightly armored but fast and disposable tanks with the same design philosophy as the TIE fighter, but "A TIE cockpit with a couple treads slapped on the side" wasn't it.

Also every time I look at the TIE Hunter I have a different opinion re: whether it looks badass as hell or incredibly stupid.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the tie mauler always struck me as a video game designers need for a tank that doesnt walk for the Empire. It might be because I saw it first in one of the RTS games that I think this as I have no evidence about it, and I'm going to guess the wiki is no less than 2500 words

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's first and only appearance was in the Empire at War RTS, yeah. It was kinda cool because it had the Command and Conquer thing where you could instantly kill enemies by running them over with a vehicle, and they were big but also fast as hell so you could just zoom around smearing an entire platoon of Rebels across the road in an instant.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah i loving hated those things when playing as the rebels. but yeah was in the video game so its totally canon. What about the part where you build the death star and destroy like every planet i guess thats canon too

like jesus loving christ

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Over-use of cuck, otherwise 10/10

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

yeah i loving hated those things when playing as the rebels. but yeah was in the video game so its totally canon. What about the part where you build the death star and destroy like every planet i guess thats canon too

like jesus loving christ

Why would you ever play as the rebels? I think I did once and it felt all weird and gross and I quit halfway through, they don't even get the SSD or Death Star that break the poo poo outta the game.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It was one of like 3 computer games I had on a deployment to Iraq, I wish I had picked another game looking back

the one that was a reskin of Age of Empires was way better I think but its been like 15 years so gently caress if i know. I mean it's not Han Solo dancing but Age of Empires is pretty solid gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In the new Star Wars movie, I didn't like how much the Millennium Falcon bumped into poo poo. It felt unrealistic, that a big old spaceship like that could keep smashing into the ground and poo poo and be totally fine.

• Locked thread