Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I thought it was only the side story text updates that were optional, it's p clear that the text updates that show up in the same archive & numbering system as the actual comics are meant to be just as mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I could have sworn that back in Book 2, they said they've been working to make the comic still TECHNICALLY readable without the text updates.

Which is kind of like saying a dog with two legs is technically walkable.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DolphinCop posted:

if you do make a thread for erfworld put it in the book barn for laffs

On non-holiday weeks, this thread alone prints out more :words: than Erfworld's text updates. Complaining about them is seriously silly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OOTS Thread: Comics That Should Be Books And Comics That Shouldn't Be Books

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

On non-holiday weeks, this thread alone prints out more :words: than Erfworld's text updates. Complaining about them is seriously silly.

Can it really count if most of the words output by this thread involve "Hope"; "Rich"; and "Okay"?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

reignofevil posted:

Can it really count if most of the words output by this thread involve "Hope"; "Rich"; and "Okay"?

A word cloud of this thread would actually be kinda funny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

e X posted:

A word cloud of this thread would actually be kinda funny.

There's an archiving tool you can run that turns a thread into a single web page, I'll see if I can find it.

E: here it is. Haven't got access to a computer so can't do the word cloud right now.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 28, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I made an Erfworld thread.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Now make a goblins thread.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Thank god. Now I never have to read anything Erfworld related ever again in my life.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

This is the goblins thread. No one else would ever mention Goblins for any reason.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

cargohills posted:

Thank god. Now I never have to read anything Erfworld related ever again in my life.

:hfive:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Hatethreads aren't allowed.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Potooweet posted:

This is the goblins thread. No one else would ever mention Goblins for any reason.
If every-time someone who wanted to talk about Goblins in this thread would talk about "will save world for gold" instead, that thread would be 200% better.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Toplowtech posted:

If every-time someone who wanted to talk about Goblins in this thread would talk about "will save world for gold" instead, that thread would be 200% better.

It's not as bad as it looks like, but it really looks bad. The author went to make a sprite comic but doesn't know anything about pixel art (besides "limited color palette" and "huge blocky pixels") and he constantly ends up putting characters blending in perfectly with the background; and his decision not to use outlines really doesn't help. It's not directly inspired by D&D, but if you want to see a sprite comic that actually looks acceptable, try Hero Oh Hero.

WSWFG:

HOH:

Both are showing some nonsensical combat situation which is really the worst thing to depict in a medium as static and boring as sprite comic, but there's one that can at least be parsed as being made of pictures, instead of random blobs of low-contrast colors.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

It's not as bad as it looks like, but it really looks bad.
Yeah, that's the comics ONE problem. And yeah, the author is improving; at least from the "characters blending with the background' phase (he still needs to work on his faces). I'd rather read a comics with a big art problem than Goblins. At least the release is regular.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 30, 2015

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

With all of this Goblins and Erfworld chat, I sure hope Rich is okay.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I checked out both of these comics on a whim, and they are both really bad. HOH starts with four pages of a girl having"snarky" arguments with a parental figure and a generic but clearly established threat. Congratulations, you have managed to invent a time machine and sent me back to reading DrunkDuck in 2009.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I checked out both of these comics on a whim, and they are both really bad. HOH starts with four pages of a girl having"snarky" arguments with a parental figure and a generic but clearly established threat. Congratulations, you have managed to invent a time machine and sent me back to reading DrunkDuck in 2009.

im pretty sure hero oh hero literally is from 2009, fwiw. im fairly shocked its still going

i got linked to it from... a promotional link from the battle for wesnoth forums, I think? since froggato's a similar open source project and the HOH artist is on the froggato team. plot complaints notwithstanding, it really does have excellent pixel art

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I've really been enjoying WSWfG. The blocky pixels took some getting used to but I'm not reading it for the art so I don't actually care that much as long as it's not offensively bad. It's got likeable characters and a decently entertaining plot and the only one I'm reading now that manages to update on a regular MWF schedule.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DolphinCop posted:

im pretty sure hero oh hero literally is from 2009, fwiw. im fairly shocked its still going

It's a reboot of a comic originally called "A Path to Greater Good" which went through several art style changes and hiatuses as the author tried to figure out a way to make the comic on schedule while keeping character expressions readable and the graphics overall pleasing. And yes this original version is from 2009. It ended up too messy and inconsistent, so it was abandoned in 2011 and restarted as HOH in 2013.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zoe posted:

I've really been enjoying WSWfG. The blocky pixels took some getting used to but I'm not reading it for the art so I don't actually care that much as long as it's not offensively bad. It's got likeable characters and a decently entertaining plot and the only one I'm reading now that manages to update on a regular MWF schedule.

Why aren't you reading Dr. McNinja? It's only got maybe a year left, but it updates on the reg and is also really good and has good art.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/13p1/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kajeesus posted:

Why aren't you reading Dr. McNinja? It's only got maybe a year left, but it updates on the reg and is also really good and has good art.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/13p1/

A lot less than a year, given how fast he updates.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Probably until February.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Not as funny as I hopes, but I do like the rather prominent "hosed".

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

e X posted:

Not as funny as I hopes, but i do like the rather prominent "hosed"

i cant find the word "okay"

did it get filtered out

i hope rich is okay

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Nice touch that 'character' and 'death' are right next to each other. As are 'lawful' and 'stupid'.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Glory of Arioch posted:

did it get filtered out

i hope rich is okay

Probably because the thread is almost 9 years old.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

sebmojo posted:

A lot less than a year, given how fast he updates.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Probably until February.

More like June or later. He just finished up "The End, Part 1" and that was about 5 months, which at a glance is pretty average for recent stories. So it could be that long, or it could be longer--arcs like "Futures Saving" and "A Cumberland Ninja" were about 9 months.

(As for other regularly updating MWF comics, there's Gunnerkrigg Court and Monster Pulse off the top of my head, neither of which seems to be going anywhere any time soon, although GC has been around for a while.)

Anyway, here's to Burlew's health.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

e X posted:

Probably because the thread is almost 9 years old.

Which makes "Tarquin" being one of the most common words all the more impressive.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

MildShow posted:

Which makes "Tarquin" being one of the most common words all the more impressive.

Tarquin is a great character and wonderful villain, and deserves all praise herein.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Strong showing by Ye.

That shows all of ye of little faith I trust.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tarquin Tarqwins cause he's not a Tarquitter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love the little all-caps "CHOMSKYS" off near the top edge.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Carrasco posted:

More like June or later. He just finished up "The End, Part 1" and that was about 5 months, which at a glance is pretty average for recent stories. So it could be that long, or it could be longer--arcs like "Futures Saving" and "A Cumberland Ninja" were about 9 months.

(As for other regularly updating MWF comics, there's Gunnerkrigg Court and Monster Pulse off the top of my head, neither of which seems to be going anywhere any time soon, although GC has been around for a while.)

Anyway, here's to Burlew's health.

He's said he should be done around October, given his usual schedule and such.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Glory of Arioch posted:

did it get filtered out

i hope rich is okay

5 o'clock, under bees.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Thanks guys. All your talk about other D&D-based webcomics awakened an ancient memory in me of how ages ago I read something called "A modest destiny" and it was funny and clever. So I went to actually re-read the first 20 strips or so and all I got out of it was a lot of cringe and a sum total of two faint chuckles. Now one of my core happy memories is lost, and comic-loving-island is hanging by a thread.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Triple Elation posted:

Thanks guys. All your talk about other D&D-based webcomics awakened an ancient memory in me of how ages ago I read something called "A modest destiny" and it was funny and clever. So I went to actually re-read the first 20 strips or so and all I got out of it was a lot of cringe and a sum total of two faint chuckles. Now one of my core happy memories is lost, and comic-loving-island is hanging by a thread.

The guy behind A Modest Destiny is a nut. He's so protective of his pixel and video game ideas that he has picked various fights over other people "ripping off" his work. Someone used his pixel art as an avatar in the Penny Arcade forums, and his resulting poo poo fit got him blacklisted from a lot of the Web comic community.

Also, dude wrote a really bad rape scene. gently caress A Modest Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's good rape scenes?