Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was genuinely hoping that the end would reveal Luke using C3PO's arm and leave the story up to our imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Supposedly, there was deleted scenes that are covered somewhat in the novelization.

quote:

Do you remember seeing a brief glimpse of Maisie Richardson-Sellers on a crowded balcony, just before the First Order blasted Hosinian Prime with their Starkiller base? It did seem like the camera lingered on her face and placed her in the shot prominently, didn’t it? Unusual choice, given that we had no clue who she was. Turns out that her character did have a name: Korr Sella. In the novelization of The Force Awakens, we learn that General Organa sent Korr Sella to the Galactic Senate to appeal to them and “make her case for the Senate to take direct action against the First Order.” It’s a drat shame that this scene didn’t end up in the film, as it would have provided us with a little more explanation about the shifting dynamics between the various political factions. It also might have explained some of the film’s weirder plot holes, such as, “Why aren’t more people worried about the First Order?”

quote:

Originally, Rey was supposed to ask BB-8, “Who is Luke Skywalker?” This was the image that got J.J. Abrams interested in the film in the first place — he liked the idea of a teenage girl not knowing about Luke’s history, just as real modern-day kids might not be as familiar with the original Star Wars universe. Rey and Finn serve as our way in to that world; as they learn about their history, so too do we. In later revisions of the draft, though, Rey’s line changes slightly; she has heard of Luke Skywalker, but she says, “I thought he was just a myth.” That might be closer to how our generation sees Luke Skywalker, anyway.

There's more, like Maz using force powers and handing Leia Luke's lightsaber and Unkar showing up at Maz's castle and beating on Rey until Chewie rips his arm off.

\/\/\/ Probably, but I wonder if some of those scenes like Korr Sella lobbying to the Senate or Rey learning about Luke from BB-8 were filmed.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 30, 2015

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Some of that sounds less like deleted scenes and more like it was based on a somewhat earlier draft.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Beefstew posted:

You're thinking of C-3PO.

At this point the mask Anthony Daniels wears is more capable of showing emotion than Carrie Fisher's face.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Blistex posted:

How much loving Botox did Carrie Fisher shove in her face? Her mouth was so paralysed she literally looked like she was just learning how to do ventriloquism.
I know it had to be my imagination but it seemed like her face in her scenes was intentionally blurred or smoothed out. It reminded me of pre-70s movies where women were always shot with a Vaseline lens to soften their features.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Carrie Fisher's face is full of botox. You've been warned!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheMaestroso posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Carrie Fisher's face is full of botox. You've been warned!

IT WAS SNOKE

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

TheMaestroso posted:

http://metro.co.uk/2010/12/14/carrie-fisher-i-had-sex-with-princess-leia-fans-612025/

quote:

The actress was idolised by a generation of sci-fi fans, thanks to the famous scene which saw her wearing a gold ‘slave girl’ bikini, and she has revealed that many wanted to live out their sexual fantasies with her.

‘I certainly have, along the way, slept with a nerd. But I don’t think I ever got anything out of it except the sex. It was probably good. Nerds will surprise you. They’re way more enthusiastic. More bang with your buck,’ she told the New York Daily News.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Carrie Fisher owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Carrie Fisher owns.

This is unarguable factual truth.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Interesting leak from the blurey edition. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/GDaFjvw.jpg?1

Lol.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Carrie Fisher is amazing and so his her dog.

vs.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 30, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Hollismason posted:

Carrie Fisher is amazing and so his her dog.

Dog is named Gary

Response to debates re: her having 'aged well' or not:

BRAIN BAG

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm pretty shallow, so Rei's mouth being too small for her jaw/teeth (just like Keira Knightly) turned me off the whole time.

I was really hoping Luke would say something like "No, that's yours now" when she was holding out the lightsabre at the end.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I really like that JJ Abrams continued Lucas's tradition of casting unknown/brand new actors into lead roles. It's a fortunate and refreshing change from the prequels, which starred a lot of big-shot actors.

It's going to be very interesting watching the careers of Daisy Ridley and John Boyega take off like rockets after this trilogy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

It's going to be very interesting watching the careers of Daisy Ridley and John Boyega take off like rockets after this trilogy.

Corvette Summer 2

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
There's still hope for Morgan Freeman as Finn's dad though, right?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

I really like that JJ Abrams continued Lucas's tradition of casting unknown/brand new actors into lead roles. It's a fortunate and refreshing change from the prequels, which starred a lot of big-shot actors.

Both Anakins in the prequels were little-known actors though, and I remember Lucas specifically wanted that.

By the way, Daisy Ridley is the lead voice in the Studio Ghibli movie Only Yesterday. The movie was made in 1991 but is getting an English dub release on 26 February (this Friday if you are in New York).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I am kinda curious what they plan on doing with Finn's character in VIII just because with Rey basically inheriting from both Luke and Han it feels like he'd have to step up quite a bit to avoid basically being a pointless sidekick which would be pretty unfortunate and very tonedeaf I think.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would imagine there must be a decent time gap between TFA and VIII right? There was a 3 year gap between IV and V and a 1 year gap between V and VI.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I can't believe people had a problem with Carre Fisher saying "Snoke". It was nowhere near as silly as Sam Jackson saying "Dooku" in a threatening manner.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is just as bad.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hollismason posted:

When Hux is giving his speech there is a high ranking general or someone in the background who is black. So there are at least 3 black people in Star Wars.
The resistance and starkiller control rooms each had at least one (1) black lady twiddling knobs on computers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would imagine there must be a decent time gap between TFA and VIII right? There was a 3 year gap between IV and V and a 1 year gap between V and VI.

We do not know yet. The script for VII just got finalized.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Nevermind. I'm retarded.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Gimmedaroot posted:

I can't believe people had a problem with Carre Fisher saying "Snoke". It was nowhere near as silly as Sam Jackson saying "Dooku" in a threatening manner.

If that is the bar we are setting then everything about this movie was perfect.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The shipping is well under way.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

We do not know yet. The script for VII just got finalized.

I would believe that the Big D is planning on a new core Star Wars film in the next two years, with Rogue One being filling in for this year. My guess would be Episode IX four years from now, with the supposed Michael Jordan Boba Fett spinoff being between Episode VIII and IX.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

This film is still good after the 4th viewing

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I saw TFA last week and I've been talking about it with friends a lot since then. I enjoyed the movie overall, but it didn't really make me any more excited for the new trilogy considering that TFA kept so closely to the plot of Ep4. I felt like TFA played it too safe and felt way too derivative for my tastes. However, a friend of mine reminded me of this LA Times interview with Gary Kurtz who was the second director on Star Wars and Empire. I'm no Star Wars historians so it could all be sour grapes, but it's an interesting read. My friend was making the argument that assume in an alternate cinematic timeline where Kurtz stayed on and RotJ was more of a spaghetti western style ending as originally intended with the rebel Alliance decisively defeating the Empire, although at great cost, i.e., Han Solo dying, Luke walking off into the sunset. (Also the prequels never get made) In that way the TFA is much more worthy successor and much more in the spirit of Ep4 and 5.We effectively get to the same place narratively at the end of TFA but with most of the bad stuff in Jedi and the Prequels cut out. I'm pretty sympathetic to his argument and it actually makes me like TFA a lot more.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Gary Kurtz is a douchebag.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Corbae posted:

This film is still good after the 4th viewing

P sure that's sexual harassment

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

SnatchRabbit posted:

I saw TFA last week and I've been talking about it with friends a lot since then. I enjoyed the movie overall, but it didn't really make me any more excited for the new trilogy considering that TFA kept so closely to the plot of Ep4. I felt like TFA played it too safe and felt way too derivative for my tastes. However, a friend of mine reminded me of this LA Times interview with Gary Kurtz who was the second director on Star Wars and Empire. I'm no Star Wars historians so it could all be sour grapes, but it's an interesting read. My friend was making the argument that assume in an alternate cinematic timeline where Kurtz stayed on and RotJ was more of a spaghetti western style ending as originally intended with the rebel Alliance decisively defeating the Empire, although at great cost, i.e., Han Solo dying, Luke walking off into the sunset. (Also the prequels never get made) In that way the TFA is much more worthy successor and much more in the spirit of Ep4 and 5.We effectively get to the same place narratively at the end of TFA but with most of the bad stuff in Jedi and the Prequels cut out. I'm pretty sympathetic to his argument and it actually makes me like TFA a lot more.

gently caress Kurtz. He was rightfully fired for loving up. Also, never forget that when he tried to make movies on his own he ended up making this god awful movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6r9zXVOk8

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

I know it had to be my imagination but it seemed like her face in her scenes was intentionally blurred or smoothed out. It reminded me of pre-70s movies where women were always shot with a Vaseline lens to soften their features.

In the last couple of years they've gotten really good at using CGI to make people look younger. There was Michael Douglas in Ant Man and one of the characters in this season's Fargo had a flashback scene where he looked 30 years younger. It's not perfect (obviously if you noticed Fisher looking odd), but makeup and CGI can do a lot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I would believe that the Big D is planning on a new core Star Wars film in the next two years, with Rogue One being filling in for this year. My guess would be Episode IX four years from now, with the supposed Michael Jordan Boba Fett spinoff being between Episode VIII and IX.

The schedule is already known. Episode VIII is airing on May 2017, and IX on December 2018. About a year and a half between each core film.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

G-III posted:

gently caress Kurtz. He was rightfully fired for loving up. Also, never forget that when he tried to make movies on his own he ended up making this god awful movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6r9zXVOk8

Got a link? I'm genuinely curious now how it all went down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SnatchRabbit posted:

Gary Kurtz is the only source of the "Actually, Lucas did nothing in ANH and his wife did all the work" conspiracy theory. It is most definitely sour grapes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apparently one of the recent books explains why Finn has no friends? He belongs to the First Order as a stormtrooper, but he is an outcast even though he belongs to a small group of others who all grew up together as child soldiers and then turned into men who fight for the first order. But no one in Finns group likes him because he displays emotions, he has feelings for people and that is not how this group operates. Supposedly the stormtrooper with the melee weapon is one of his "brothers" that he grew up with and trained alongside. And this is absolutely a guess, no one knows for sure, but the stormtrooper he is holding and freaking out over dying at the beginning of the movie? That is another one of his brothers that he grew up with and trained with in the First Order. Basically by the end of the film every stormtrooper Finn knew and was close with is now dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Young Freud posted:

Lucas totally dubbed a male voice over a female actress playing a Rebel pilot in Return of the Jedi, so you're right, but I expect the current creators to be a lot more mindful these days when it comes to female representation.

That character looks ALOT like another male pilot in the same sequence. Like, I literally didn't realize those were two different pilots. As silly as it sounds, I can almost believe the dubbing was some sort of accident? I don't know how it all works, but if they removed the audio tracks and were dubbing over silent footage, I can see them going "oh, it's that one pilot again. Yo, go loop over that dude's line."

• Locked thread