Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zaphod was offended when I pointed out it was really loving obvious that the whole EM-radiation sensitivity thing/subplot in Better Call Saul was all in the guy's head. He kept it up even after me and several other posters provided evidence. I guess he has this thing where he doesn't watch or understand something fully but does make up his mind and posts about it. Whatever.

I finally saw Star Wars this evening and I loved it. I guess I tempered my expectations so I went in excited and came out entirely satisfied. Sure, there were little bits here and there that were a bit on the nose or whatever, but nothing stood out as nonsensical or goofy to an irritating degree. It was pretty much exactly what I was thinking and hoping it would be.

Feels good not to have to dodge spoilers anymore, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Taeke posted:

Zaphod was offended when I pointed out it was really loving obvious that the whole EM-radiation sensitivity thing/subplot in Better Call Saul was all in the guy's head. He kept it up even after me and several other posters provided evidence. I guess he has this thing where he doesn't watch or understand something fully but does make up his mind and posts about it. Whatever.

Oh, I didn't realize he was that guy. Yeah, just a dumb gimmick then. I wonder why people post gimmicks like that, they're never funny.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Force Awakens

That stormtrooper with the spinny electrical club? That should have been Phasma.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

rydiafan posted:

Force Awakens

That stormtrooper with the spinny electrical club? That should have been Phasma.
Yeah, I'm kind of mystified that they missed that opportunity.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Pilchenstein posted:

Same, it's kind of blowing my mind now.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Pilchenstein posted:

Firstborn posted:

Same, it's kind of blowing my mind now.

That person died? And then later the plot requires that other person to be alive? You can't just spray paint the one with metallic silver and presto chango the new star wars movie is fixed.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I didn't even know it was broken. It could've happened in another part of the movie, I guess. It's just strange they didn't give Phasma more to do. That's all.
E: Properly spoiler tagged for the 3 hermits that haven't seen this movie 5 times yet.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Dec 30, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

rydiafan posted:

Force Awakens

Phasma is meant to be the Boba Fett analogue, ie looks cool and talks poo poo but gets chumped.
Spinny club trooper was a huge badass who talked the talk and walked the walk and got cowardly shot while he was distracted by that coward Han Solo with the laser equivalent of an rpg.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Firstborn posted:

I didn't even know it was broken. It could've happened in another part of the movie, I guess. It's just strange they didn't give Phasma more to do. That's all.
E: Properly spoiler tagged for the 3 hermits that haven't seen this movie 5 times yet.

Hopefully she's a bigger part of the next one. Why hire a big name actor and only give her a few scenes otherwise?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krinkle posted:

That person died? And then later the plot requires that other person to be alive? You can't just spray paint the one with metallic silver and presto chango the new star wars movie is fixed.

Not like it would be difficult to have the character win the fight in a nonlethal manner, have the character lose the fight in a nonlethal manner, have the fight be a draw, or have the character die and just use a different random mook character in the latter scene. Literally any of those works fine and the movie is vastly improved.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Phasma is meant to be the Boba Fett analogue, ie looks cool and talks poo poo but gets chumped.

But Boba Fett actually did stuff. He was 100% responsible for the Empire's successful capture of Leia, Chewbacca, Threepio, and Han. That showed competence and, more importantly, made him have a reason for being in the film. Yes, he gets chumped the first time he's involved in combat, but at least he ties Luke up and flies around a bit first.

Phasma, meanwhile, had about five lines of dialogs across thirty seconds of screen time. Three of those lines were pointless, and the other two could be replaced with Finn saying "hey look, I found the shield controls."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Hopefully she's a bigger part of the next one. Why hire a big name actor and only give her a few scenes otherwise?

Its also possible they shot more scenes with her that got cut for the theatrical release. I've heard about a few cut scenes already. Lucas did that to Benicio Del Toro in Episode 1, hired him and then whittled down his lines and scenes to the point where he quit.

I agree there should have been more of Phasma in Force Awakens.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Let's ask Daniel Craig.

Alternately,

To throw her in the garbage compactor

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What the gently caress was even the point of Simon Pegg playing the character he did? When you through that much prosthetics, cgi, and voice alteration into the mix why not just hire anybody else on the planet?

Not spoilering, because if knowing Simon Pegg plays an unrecognizable character ruins a movie for you you're a stupid babby.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of Daniel Craig, I had completely forgotten Simon Pegg was even in Force Awakens until I saw something about his character on the internet after the film. Which I guess on the other hand is kinda cool since he was playing an alien, but they could have just CG'd him the whole way and gotten anybody to do the voice pretty much.

E:FB rydiafan!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had heard there were issues with the actress but she's signed on for two more movies so...?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

rydiafan posted:

What the gently caress was even the point of Simon Pegg playing the character he did? When you through that much prosthetics, cgi, and voice alteration into the mix why not just hire anybody else on the planet?

Not spoilering, because if knowing Simon Pegg plays an unrecognizable character ruins a movie for you you're a stupid babby.

Pegg is a giant fanboy and probably just wanted the chance to be in a Star Wars movie, no matter how small/hidden the role. Plus it seems like he's friends with JJ, having been in his Star Trek movies as well as Mission Impossible 3.

You reminded me of Hugo Weaving voicing Megatron in Transformers. There was so much voice alteration it sounded nothing like him.

Eh! Frank has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Dec 30, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of Daniel Craig, I had completely forgotten Simon Pegg was even in Force Awakens until I saw something about his character on the internet after the film. Which I guess on the other hand is kinda cool since he was playing an alien, but they could have just CG'd him the whole way and gotten anybody to do the voice pretty much.

E:FB rydiafan!

All the cgi monsters looked like rear end though. From desert junktown bursar, to assholes-for-eyes lady, to hologram commander spork who ended up looking like that guy from red dragon who fed his face to pigs and got his mouth flaps stitched back up to look, also, like a puckered rear end in a top hat. I did not appreciate any of the purely cgi characters.

Simon pegg wanted to be in star wars because it's loving star wars and he didn't give a poo poo if he didn't get speaking lines and only three eyelashes were visible after all the makeup.

E: except, perhaps, bb8. Or maybe he was a puppet in some parts I don't know.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Inzombiac posted:

I had heard there were issues with the actress but she's signed on for two more movies so...?

That was another actress, I believe she was in 12 years a Slave and won some award for it and that got her a gig on Force Awakens but her performance was so bad that JJ cut her from the movie.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Lupita Nyong'o wasn't cut from the movie, she is the pirate that gives Rey the lightsaber

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Esroc posted:

That was another actress, I believe she was in 12 years a Slave and won some award for it and that got her a gig on Force Awakens but her performance was so bad that JJ cut her from the movie.

What? Where'd you hear that? If you're talking about Lupita Nyong'o, she played Maz Kanata, the CGI weird-eyes alien. She wasn't cut from the movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

All the cgi monsters looked like rear end though. From desert junktown bursar, to assholes-for-eyes lady, to hologram commander spork who ended up looking like that guy from red dragon who fed his face to pigs and got his mouth flaps stitched back up to look, also, like a puckered rear end in a top hat. I did not appreciate any of the purely cgi characters.

Simon pegg wanted to be in star wars because it's loving star wars and he didn't give a poo poo if he didn't get speaking lines and only three eyelashes were visible after all the makeup.

E: except, perhaps, bb8. Or maybe he was a puppet in some parts I don't know.

BB8 was a real honest to god robot. JJ Abrams thought they'd have to CG it (and in some parts he might be) but for the most part they built several real BB8 units which physically wheeled around on-stage along with the actors. Love me some conventional effects.

Yeah the aliens were pretty meh. My standards were set pretty low with that one hideous diner chef from episode II, but they were only just slightly better than that. I thought the orange lady was okay though

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Eh! Frank posted:

What? Where'd you hear that? If you're talking about Lupita Nyong'o, she played Maz Kanata, the CGI weird-eyes alien. She wasn't cut from the movie.

Ah, guess I misheard or misremembered something I read. My bad. Carry on.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

BB8 was a real honest to god robot.

Haha, nice. I liked seeing it go down stairs. Time to google which alien was even simon pegg because I keep forgetting to look it up.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Haha, nice. I liked seeing it go down stairs. Time to google which alien was even simon pegg because I keep forgetting to look it up.

IMDB has Pegg listed as the junk dealer alien that exchanges scrap for food rations, the one that offers to buy (then tries to steal) BB8.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oh, the one I said was a cgi abortion. Sorry dan. Dang.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

From the on set picture I've seen of Pegg he doesn't have any of those motion tracking dots on his face and is wearing a bulky costume so it´s possible he was actually wearing a mask. But even if he was it's very likely that they fixed it up more with CGI to make it less rubbery.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I can't imagine a starting point where that thing's face would count as "less rubbery".

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Krinkle posted:

Haha, nice. I liked seeing it go down stairs.

One IIMM from me: every time they show it going downstairs I was thinking "but how does he get back up?" I mean he's got those little grappling hook things but is he going to have to Spider-Man his way up every staircase in the universe? Are there handicapped-accessible ramps in most of these buildings?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

But Boba Fett actually did stuff. He was 100% responsible for the Empire's successful capture of Leia, Chewbacca, Threepio, and Han. That showed competence and, more importantly, made him have a reason for being in the film. Yes, he gets chumped the first time he's involved in combat, but at least he ties Luke up and flies around a bit first.

Vader did everything important on cloud city, Fett just took an already-frozen Han to Jabba :colbert:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Wild T posted:

One IIMM from me: every time they show it going downstairs I was thinking "but how does he get back up?" I mean he's got those little grappling hook things but is he going to have to Spider-Man his way up every staircase in the universe? Are there handicapped-accessible ramps in most of these buildings?

They had him stop at the base of the stairs that led into the cantina, and I was curious to see how he'd get up, but then they just cut to him already being inside and I was p mad.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Depressio111117 posted:

They had him stop at the base of the stairs that led into the cantina, and I was curious to see how he'd get up, but then they just cut to him already being inside and I was p mad.

How does R2-D2 do it?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tunicate posted:

Vader did everything important on cloud city, Fett just took an already-frozen Han to Jabba :colbert:

Fett led Vader to Cloud City. Fett was a chump but he still actually managed to do what he was hired to do, unlike literally every other bounty hunter in ESB.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rurea posted:

How does R2-D2 do it?

With his jets, did you not watch the prequels?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I thought giving Phasma a flamboyant silver uniform was loving dumb.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Melee stormtrooper usurping Phasma is so :biotruths: that he should have been wearing a fedora.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

I thought giving Phasma a flamboyant silver uniform was loving dumb.

Yeah, I thought so too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Polaron posted:

Fett led Vader to Cloud City. Fett was a chump but he still actually managed to do what he was hired to do, unlike literally every other bounty hunter in ESB.

Plus he was holding back, no disintegrations and all.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I re-watched Age of Ultron recently and it gets worse every time I watch it. Needless to say the following contains spoilers.

The worst thing is how much of a joke and non-threat Ultron is. His big plan is to get the Avengers together so he can fight them with his robot army? Yes, great idea when he never even once demonstrates any capability of harming the Hulk, and in fact the ONLY time the Hulk is actually challenged in the film is when he fights Tony's hulkbuster armor. Even the first avengers at least had a scene with Hulk getting surrounded and blasted by dozens of space chariots. Ultron also gets clowned by the twins a couple times, loses to Iron Man and can barely defeat Captain America in single combat. I think the only time he actually has the upper-hand against an Avenger is when he fights Thor, and even that is basically just a set up for a joke when Vision hits him with the hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The best way to watch all the Marvel movies is once. Then they're really fun but god help you if you think that's reproducible.