Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, that's a good call imo. Michael really should have won more than one title. He had an absurdly unlucky 1995 too, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still maintain Michael should have had at least one win at the 500, too. Missing the '93 500 was his own drat fault, but to not even get a shot at the place from 1996 to 2000, and come so loving close again in '01 and '06... :smith:

I was going to say something about how Dixon being a long shot at passing Michael on the all-time win list, but... it's really not that long of a shot if Dixon keeps up the seasons he's had. Four more wins gets him tied, five wins means only Big Al and Super Tex can put him in his place. He could rack that up in two more seasons, easy.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
What it is about Dixon being a "quiet champion" that just keeps showing up and winning races and championships, and then oh-by-the-way you're one of the winningest drivers in IndyCar/AOWR history? I still have the "meh" feeling about him, even after all these years. Anyone else?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The day after he won the title this year, I couldnt remember who had beaten Montoya, so pretty much

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Yeah, that's a good call imo. Michael really should have won more than one title. He had an absurdly unlucky 1995 too, if I remember right.

You could add 1997 to this as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

What it is about Dixon being a "quiet champion" that just keeps showing up and winning races and championships, and then oh-by-the-way you're one of the winningest drivers in IndyCar/AOWR history? I still have the "meh" feeling about him, even after all these years. Anyone else?

I am very solidly in this camp. It's bizarre because the results are there. He keeps on delivering, he keeps on sneaking into these championship battles. But in any given race it seems to be rare that he pulls off any one thing notable. Nothing like The Pass, not any crazy moves like Munoz diving below the white line every lap at Indy, RHR driving his rear end off at the end of 2012, or the last five laps of Brazil in 2013 between Sato / Josef / Hinch. Even at Mid-Ohio where the race is practically given to him every year, he just drives faster on less fuel than anyone else, with near-zero drama.

Maybe that's it, because it seems like a lot of his wins are the result of his god-tier ability to go fast on limited fuel.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Over the last 10 seasons, his WORST championship finish has been... 4th in 2006. There has never been a season in the last decade that he didn't win at least twice. I think hes the best driver of his generation, including guys like Franchitti, Power, TK, Bourdais, etc, even stretching the generation back to guys like De Ferran, and will go down as one of the greatest IndyCar drivers of all time. Even though Montoya is a good deal older, its pretty awesome watching them race each other.

Hes not flashy, he doesn't make crazy moves or take crazy risks, hes just loving fast and lets the race come to him. When you are consistently faster than everyone else, you can do that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

And Emma's cute as hell.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Very good, mistake free driver with very good, mistake free team. Its like Jimmie Johnson, Open Wheel Edition.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
De Ferran wasn't as good, but he does remind me of him in some ways. When De Ferran joined Penske and won titles, it was like that, a solid driver joining a solid organization (or, at least, an organization that was back on the right track). Dixon's title actually reminded me of Gil's 2001 title, he wasn't spectacular, but he was solid and picked up results while everyone around him cracked or broke.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

During the 2007-2011 'IR-05 era', Dixon and Dario combined for 36 wins, 42% of all the races ran. In spec chassis with spec tires and spec engines. And Dario missed an entire season in there.

It's pretty crazy that Franchitti and Dixon were on the same team for those last few years, that has to be one of the greatest pairings in history.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Dixon is Rick Mears 2.0

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

realtalk I think Andretti's 1996 season is probably his best due to the IMAX movie that blew 11 year old me away

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

realtalk I think Andretti's 1996 season is probably his best due to the IMAX movie that blew 11 year old me away

I love that movie. It was even playing at the Ontario Mills IMAX the year of that first Fontana race, but the drat projector broke halfway through.

Also, that ending scene with the roadster on public roads. :allears:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

And look at the rig:

Wonder if they could do pretty much the same thing these days with a GoPro.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe that's it, because it seems like a lot of his wins are the result of his god-tier ability to go fast on limited fuel.

I'm trying to think back on some of Dixon's more memorable wins. I'm having difficulty. But the ones I do remember, he's checked out from the field because he goes longer before making pit stops and faster while doing it. Boring race wins = unmemorable race wins.

Cygni posted:

Over the last 10 seasons, his WORST championship finish has been... 4th in 2006. ... Hes not flashy, he doesn't make crazy moves or take crazy risks, hes just loving fast and lets the race come to him. When you are consistently faster than everyone else, you can do that.

A decade of top-4 finishes blows my loving mind. Why is this something we are not noticing and celebrating more jovially?!? Though I have to say, and I think all us here would agree to a degree, that this year's championship was kind of a fluke. Montoya dominates all season, but because he catches a bad break and because double points at Sonoma (lol), Dixon becomes Champion Out of Nowhere. Dixon had yet another clean, consistent season and was in position to be the Champion, so he of course deserves it. But for me, it felt more like it fell into his lap more than him going out there and working hard to earn it.

go3 posted:

Very good, mistake free driver with very good, mistake free team. Its like Jimmie Johnson, Open Wheel Edition.

When JJ was terrorizing NASCAR and winning all the championships, he became a bit of a villain, the face of the "new" NASCAR to a lot of people. He only wins championships because of NASCAR's stupid playoff format! If thing were like they used to be he wouldn't have it so easy!! He'll be remembered as an all-time NASCAR great, because he is, but he'll also be known for being the foil of "true" racing fans, due to him rising to power at the same time as NASCAR started meddling with NASCAR.

Dixon lacks that level of notoriety. Dixon and Johnson and are both in elite company in their respective racing disciplines, but Johnson's accomplishments are WAY more obvious. Even in the Indycar fan community, you have to be reminded of what Dixon does, but then you'll probably forget about it until the next time someone brings it up. There's nothing to tie Dixon's successes to, except the worst/last years of The Split? That's something I'd want to forget too, come to think of it.

VikingSkull posted:

Dixon is Rick Mears 2.0

Who is Gordon Johncock 2.0, though? Helio? Ehhhh…

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

And look at the rig:

Wonder if they could do pretty much the same thing these days with a GoPro.

Probably. Hell, I'd argue the gopro is better because we can get those bitchin helmet cam shots now.

I don't recall ever seeing a good photo of those rigs, but I do seem to remember Mario outran King Hiro (admittedly with more boost) with the camera on!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

WindyMan posted:

A decade of top-4 finishes blows my loving mind. Why is this something we are not noticing and celebrating more jovially?!?
Because he's not an ~*American racing automobile driver*~

Also looking up IMAX format, if I'm reading it right that format gives something like 6,000 lines of resolution. GoPro can shoot at 4k, so it's getting drat close.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It was amusing to see during the Sears Point race this year how many of the owners were worried Dixon was going to take the title away from them.

....Sure enough.....

Hinch's podcast was really interesting. He was talking with Larson and Daly about Dixon. "That guy literally doesn't have a weakness. He's so frustrating to race against because he's THAT good. He creates fuel out of nothing"

I'm still blown away the guy didn't do F1 in retrospect. Dude was tailormade for it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Dixon should do Formula E when he's done with IndyCar.

I'm dead serious about that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Dixon should do Formula E when he's done with IndyCar.

I'm dead serious about that.

I guess the rumor around the paddocks was he wants to be an owner after he hangs it up?

Though to be fair I heard rumors about Robby Gordon being interested in creating a team that's "Newman-Haas" like in IndyCar and that's yet to materialize.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That and his uncanny ability to stay out of trouble in a series that has far more stupid accidents than it should.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I guess the rumor around the paddocks was he wants to be an owner after he hangs it up?

I've got to imagine Chip doing everything in his power to keep him working for TCGR like Dario does now, or like Mears still does for Penske. Partly for the experience he's got and can pass on to new drivers, partly to avoid having to beat him :v:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got to imagine Chip doing everything in his power to keep him working for TCGR like Dario does now, or like Mears still does for Penske. Partly for the experience he's got and can pass on to new drivers, partly to avoid having to beat him :v:

It's weird seeing Mears walk around the paddock btw.

Like, he's one of the greatest race car drivers to ever live and he fits right in with the pit crew guys. You seriously wouldn't know it was him if you didn't see his big rear end Indy 500 ring on.

You can pinpoint the entire Andretti family from a mile away due to this aura they have. Rick? Dude's just chilling and eating pasta salad with the guy who changes tires.

Still surprised Dario hasn't wound up in the booth doing more than Formula E.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bentai posted:

Because he's not an ~*American racing automobile driver*~

Also looking up IMAX format, if I'm reading it right that format gives something like 6,000 lines of resolution. GoPro can shoot at 4k, so it's getting drat close.

Although remember 4k is badly named, it's only just over 2k lines.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

Who is Gordon Johncock 2.0, though? Helio? Ehhhh…

TK

old dude, gets a super popular win at Indy, funny as gently caress, etc etc

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah there is literally no way Dixon doesn't hop right out of the seat into a lifetime advisory position with TCGR. Schedule allowing he could also take a stab at Le Mans.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

TK

old dude, gets a super popular win at Indy, funny as gently caress, etc etc

Kanaan getting a tattoo of Indy is pretty awesome. I'm a bit surprised with his skill set he's not tried dirt track racing just a bit more, he seems like he's got a knack for running ovals. I fully expect him to win Phoenix this next year for example.

Doesn't Gordy love Oswego btw? (Shameless attempt to get you to post some dirt track stuff in here that's Indy related)

go3 posted:

Yeah there is literally no way Dixon doesn't hop right out of the seat into a lifetime advisory position with TCGR. Schedule allowing he could also take a stab at Le Mans.

I would imagine we'll see at Le Mans within his career. I bet Chip wants a win there pretty bad.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If I were Scott I'd spend the rest of my days relaxing in New Zealand with Emma.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Doesn't Gordy love Oswego btw?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Here, enjoy a crapwagon post

http://www.crapwagon.com/forums/showthread.php?61241-So-it-seems-we-have-all-been-called-out-by-the-owner-of-Racer-Airstikes-Back-at-you

quote:

Paul Pfanner was on a podcast called 'Dinner with Racers' https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...=2&i=357312022 (It's EP14) where he specifically calls out 'Crapwagon.com' members whom have posted on his forums as being akin to Japanese soldiers still fighting a war on deserted islands 22 years after the war is over. 'They're from lawless tribal regions of CARTganastan...'

Now this is the same idiot that had his magazine photoshop full stands at Indycrap events years back right?

He isn't even called out during the podcast for his blatant connections with the Speedway which he mentions - for his wanting to do marketing for them but was beaten to the punch by Gene Simmons!

He states that we have caused trouble on his forums and have been complained (depender?) about by other members so he jokes about an airstrike on us.

What a complete fu(kwad.

He's bitter that everything promised by FTG has FAILED. ALL of it. But he wont admit it. Why? He knows who butters his bread.

He and his like cannot understand our bitterness towards the whole IRL/FTG/IndyCrap BS and they respond to us like the war was won, so why don't they just die?

They hate being reminded of their impotence - there inability to get it up, series wise (and otherwise). Why don't we go away?

The hosts ask the question: Don't they know its been seven years since Champ Car? Have Bill Cosby's victims forgotten being raped? Get over it right? They would love that right?

Talk about the hosts bending over and giving him a happy ending. Were your hands at least warm?

This is what happens when you have a marketing guy and his sports car racer friend pretending to do some journalist 'like' work and interview another marketer and its all happy times and taking pokes at former enemies.

Well fu(k you and your IndyCrap buddies Pfanner and all hail my fellow CART Samurai - fighting the good fight and pis$ing off the Racer forum crapturds and their scabby knee lap dogs.

FTG

Never forget.

Bolded the best part. Holy hell.

Also if they're CART Samurais what does this make us?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm the strategic character usage

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

where he specifically calls out 'Crapwagon.com' members whom have posted on his forums as being akin to Japanese soldiers still fighting a war on deserted islands 22 years after the war is over. 'They're from lawless tribal regions of CARTganastan...'

Thats pretty good

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You crapturd!

-me, age 9

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

quote:

The hosts ask the question: Don't they know its been seven years since Champ Car? Have Bill Cosby's victims forgotten being raped? Get over it right? They would love that right?

I wonder how much crossover there is between Crapwagon posters and TNAMecca posters.

FTG

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Why you should listen to dinner with Racers. That and one of the hosts, Ryan Eversley, did the 25 hrs of thunderhill with Al Jr. Plus Kat Legge saying Bourdais is a douchebag and the worst teammate.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Why you should listen to dinner with Racers. That and one of the hosts, Ryan Eversley, did the 25 hrs of thunderhill with Al Jr. Plus Kat Legge saying Bourdais is a douchebag and the worst teammate.

Oddly enough Bourdais is one of the most friendly drivers on the grid! Go figs. It's probably why he and PT butted heads though similiar types. PT was Al Jr's most hated opponent

Also more from good ol' crapwagon

quote:

Eight years later, and living with the memories is way more enjoyable than the CircleJerk at Indy.

Yeah okay. I'd much rather go to Indy than to be some dipshit who plays up the nostalgia angle. Create your own memories and have fun. Don't just sulk and pout.

Christ I still need to hit up an NHRA race and some dirt tacking in the nearest future possible.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 1, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah okay. I'd much rather go to Indy than some dipshit who plays up the nostalgia angle. Create your own memories and have fun. Don't just sulk and pout.

Yeah, if you're at the Speedway on race day and you aren't having fun, it's not Indycar's fault that you are a miserable human being. It may not be the series we wish it was, but it's still drat good.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, if you're at the Speedway on race day and you aren't having fun, it's not Indycar's fault that you are a miserable human being. It may not be the series we wish it was, but it's still drat good.

I got sunburnt to hell once...and drove all the way back from ohio after watching practice with my brother. Was about to collapse in the car, was that tired.

Guess what? I had a loving blast. The sunburn was worth it. I got to drink beer, meet two of my heroes growing up (Bobby Rahal and Arie Luyendyk) and watch cars go around the best track in the world. (In my opinion)

I was talking with a NASCAR fan once at work. He follows cup and I follow Indy..different sides of the same coin as it were. But we both agreed on one thing. The best feeling in the world coming home from a race? Having to yell because your hearing hasn't adjusted yet.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even better is having to yell and still having it be a whisper because of the finish.

• Locked thread