Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Never underestimate the obtuseness of a Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

In The Lion King, when Scar says "I was next in line, until the little hairball was born" he's not contradicting his previous statement about not being there for Simba's presentation. He means he was next in line for succession.

Only took me 21 years...

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

FELD1 posted:

A guy in the episode literally says "Why is the bar called Shady Nasty's?"

Just gonna go ahead and add this to the list

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hyperlynx posted:

In The Lion King, when Scar says "I was next in line, until the little hairball was born" he's not contradicting his previous statement about not being there for Simba's presentation. He means he was next in line for succession.

Only took me 21 years...

Dude, I got that when the movie first came out, and I was loving ten!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In Jedi Mind Tricks - Omicron, the quote does not go "Will space probes in the next century discover extraterrestrial inlaws"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Stairs posted:

And she was also creator Gene Roddenberry's wife.

I wish I was at that wedding.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

The worst Star Trek: TNG episodes were the ones with Deanna Troi's mother. There were so drat many of them, I didn't get it.

But I just realized that that actor played Nurse Chapel in the original series.

It make so much more sense now.

Stairs posted:

And she was also creator Gene Roddenberry's wife.

Before she was his wife, she was his mistress, the networks didn't like him casting her for Number One. She got the role of Nurse Chapel by dying her hair blonde and looking so different that even Gene wouldn't recognize her at first. So he cast her as Nurse Chapel because if he couldn't figure it out, the execs wouldn't either until it was too late.

For my own contribution:

Two lines from the MST3K version of Manos: The Hands Of Fate only clicked for me once I saw it in the theater the other day. I'm reasonably sure given the uploader that this isn't :filez:, but I'll delink if a mod wants me to.

- The line "Work, booze, work" means he's begging the booze to kick in and make him drunk. I always figured it was him resignedly thinking about how his life is just a cycle of work, boozing, and working.

- The line Hey, it's Mary Kay.. Kay Kay is a KKK reference. I can't even tell you what I thought it meant (some echo for some reason?), I only put two and two together after the audience at the theater made a "Ugh, a KKK joke?" groan.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Dec 14, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
123 Sesame Street is the address of the building, the 123 isn't just for fun.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The metal band Mastodon (best known for that song WHITE! WHALE! HOLY! GRAIL!) is from post-2000, not from the '80s like I had assumed for some reason. I think it was the album artwork.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I didn't just realize this, but a few months ago I realized that there's a solid reason why milk was always the Default Dinner Meal in my family: my dad grew up on a dairy farm, who of course would have milk available a lot as a kid.

This one I did just realize and it's really embarrassing: all my life my parents taught me that if I had a head cold and my nose was clogged, it meant there was snot in there that I needed to blow my nose. No, your upper nostril area swells up when you're sick, which is the actual why your nose clogs up! I was always telling my parents there wasn't anything up there, but they demanded I keep blowing my nose!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Anti aircraft shells aren't just designed to hit enemy aircraft but also explode near aircraft, whether with a timed fuse or a proximity fuse. That's why when you see footage (especially WWII) you see explosions mid air despite the shells not actually hitting anything.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't just realize this, but a few months ago I realized that there's a solid reason why milk was always the Default Dinner Meal in my family: my dad grew up on a dairy farm, who of course would have milk available a lot as a kid.

This one I did just realize and it's really embarrassing: all my life my parents taught me that if I had a head cold and my nose was clogged, it meant there was snot in there that I needed to blow my nose. No, your upper nostril area swells up when you're sick, which is the actual why your nose clogs up! I was always telling my parents there wasn't anything up there, but they demanded I keep blowing my nose!

It doesn't help clear up a head cold, but it does prevent your kid from running around dripping snot everywhere. It's just one of those little lies parents use to keep their kids in line, like saying the ice cream truck only plays music to let people know they've run out of stock.

The funny thing is when enough generations forget to explain the truth later and it becomes an accepted fact, like saying you can't touch baby birds or their mothers will smell the human on them and they won't take them back.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

RandomFerret posted:

It's just one of those little lies parents use to keep their kids in line, The funny thing is when enough generations forget to explain the truth later and it becomes an accepted fact, like saying you can't touch baby birds or their mothers will smell the human on them and they won't take them back.

:stare:

guess what I just figured out guys

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Super Waffle posted:

Yup, birds don't really have a sense of smell, let alone one strong enough to distinguish between themselves and humans. If a kid moves the nestlings though they'll probably break up the nest a bit, or knock one of the nestlings out. Hares and deer probably would abandon their young if they caught you in the act of grabbing at them, if only because of the fear of being caught themselves. I don't profess to know much about wildlife behaviour though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Super Waffle posted:

lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm just a little surprised that MisterBibs' family ate only milk for their meals.

But to be serious, that some families don't drink milk surprises me every time I hear about it. I guess being it's being Scandinavian & practically immune to lactose intolerance. Milk is delicious as hell.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
My parents were both born in Europe and we always had milk with every meal. I feel like it's a generational thing, though. Like on the Wonder Years or in 'A Christmas Story', they're always drinking milk with dinner.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I'm just a little surprised that MisterBibs' family ate only milk for their meals.

But to be serious, that some families don't drink milk surprises me every time I hear about it. I guess being it's being Scandinavian & practically immune to lactose intolerance. Milk is delicious as hell.

We drank milk twice a day when I was a kid but now it's weird. I don't drink much but when I do, dear god, it's like a dairy apocalypse.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It wasn't always milk, it was just the standard thing you drank for dinner. Sure, some things you'd have Serra Mist / RC Cola if you're having fast food or pizza, but anything else? Milk. My girlfriend's family, you drank water with dinner.

e: oh, sorry, I wasn't clear about what I meant.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and milk was the standard beverage at meals for me and my sister until college.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh no, What are you all doing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KoRMaK posted:

Oh no, What are you all doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty62YzGryU4

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Boomers love their milk. Another household where milk was the main beverage of every meal.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
What do you drink with dinner at home if not milk? Soda all day every day? Coffee at 7 pm? Wine? Just water? Why is milk-drinking supposed to be worthy of note?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

InediblePenguin posted:

What do you drink with dinner at home if not milk? Soda all day every day? Coffee at 7 pm? Wine? Just water? Why is milk-drinking supposed to be worthy of note?

Tea or water.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

InediblePenguin posted:

When I was a kid, we only had milk or ice water. Now, my wife and I just have water with dinner. My kids always have milk. I don't know if the calcium helps, but I know my great aunt never drank milk as a kid and she was very weak at the end of her life compared to my grandfather who was as strong as a bull until he hit about 91. He drank whole milk every day until he died.

She still lived into her mid 90's though so I don't know that it matters. My other grandfather only drank wine, Jaegermeister, and ginger ale. He made it to 81 before bone cancer took him. He could have lived another decade if not for that. He was hale until about a week before he died.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

InediblePenguin posted:

What do you drink with dinner at home if not milk?

Nothing? We drank water/tea/orange juice throughout the day if we were thirsty, but we usually ate dinner by itself.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Milk at dinner here, too. We would go through a gallon every other day between my brother and I. It was always 1% or skim though. I drink exclusively whole now that I am an adult and making my own milk decisions.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Nothing? We drank water/tea/orange juice throughout the day if we were thirsty, but we usually ate dinner by itself.

I think having no beverage at all with a meal sounds an awful lot weirder (in the "less standard across the population" sense, not as a value judgement) than drinking milk; but that's from a Land-O-Lakes White American perspective.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

InediblePenguin posted:

I think having no beverage at all with a meal sounds an awful lot weirder (in the "less standard across the population" sense, not as a value judgement) than drinking milk; but that's from a Land-O-Lakes White American perspective.

I find the idea that you have to have a drink with food pretty weird tbh. Are you all chewing properly?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

InediblePenguin posted:

I didn't know about milk at dinner until I had dinner at a white friend's house. We had London broil, potatoes, mixed veggies, and salad...and milk. I thought it was utterly bizarre.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

I find the idea that you have to have a drink with food pretty weird tbh. Are you all chewing properly?

Good point. Drinking with meals must be super uncommon. Otherwise every single meal you can purchase at every restaurant on the planet would come with a beverage.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I have a immune disorder that causes dysphagia, so if I'm not drinking fluid after every bite (which I chew thouroughly), I'm getting a painful poo poo-its-stuck feeling that has caused me to have to go to the hospital on multiple occasions.

I go through water like you wouldn't believe.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Dec 31, 2015

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

om nom nom posted:

It was always 1% or skim though. I drink exclusively whole now that I am an adult and making my own milk decisions.

Same. :hfive: Being a grownup is awesome.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rydiafan posted:

Good point. Drinking with meals must be super uncommon. Otherwise every single meal you can purchase at every restaurant on the planet would come with a beverage.

Drinks are where they make their money.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

InediblePenguin posted:

Drinking milk by itself is weird. Having to have a drink with every meal is weird. If I have a drink with dinner, it'll be beer or wine. If I have a drink any other time at home it'll be water, tea, coffee, or in summer, punch.

rydiafan posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or ironic. Either way you're wrong. Restaurants don't provide you with a free drink because they want you to buy drinks.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Drinking something with a meal is not weird. Not drinking something with a meal is not weird. It's really dumb to argue about it. Hope that helps.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Tiggum posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or ironic. Either way you're wrong. Restaurants don't provide you with a free drink because they want you to buy drinks.

Restaurants provide you with free water all the time.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I just learned goons are very vocal and protective of their traditions, particularly those concerning the consumption of liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I butt chug my Gatorade and there's nothing you can do about it