Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
so is sysctl vm.swappiness's value just some arbitrary scaling factor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

so is sysctl vm.swappiness's value just some arbitrary scaling factor?

yeah, it's a weight to determine whether to keep a user page or a page of disk cache when memory gets low.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Athas posted:

How does OS X handle this?

xnu has a quality of service concept that's propagated between queues, threads, and tasks as they interact with the kernel

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

is this the cumswapping thread?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

what does moom cause

i don't know if MOOM specifically causes any issues with Xcode

but any hacks that modify the behavior of the whole system run a high risk of causing stability problems, and not just with Xcode, because they usually wind up doing pretty janky poo poo to accomplish what they want

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Debian founder having a meltdown on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/imurdock

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

So he claims to knock on his neighbor's door, only to get beaten up and raped by the police, sent to the hospital, stitched up, threatened to commit suicide on Twitter, then screams at people who ask questions and calls the police a bunch of awful poo poo.

Linux is a hell of a drug.

e: not gonna lie, this is going to be much less interesting if it turns out to be a sec fuckup.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 29, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Kazinsal posted:

e: not gonna lie, this is going to be much less interesting if it turns out to be a sec fuckup.

ah poo poo hadn't thought of that. was about to post the popcorn emoji

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
is he still involved with debian? wanna know how urgently i need to rethink my distro choices

pram
Jun 10, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TOOT BOOT posted:

that guy is angry

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Soricidus posted:

is he still involved with debian? wanna know how urgently i need to rethink my distro choices
yeah but your other option is red hat, so...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

So he claims to knock on his neighbor's door, only to get beaten up and raped by the police, sent to the hospital, stitched up, threatened to commit suicide on Twitter, then screams at people who ask questions and calls the police a bunch of awful poo poo.

i wonder if he hit his head or something and is twitting while concussed

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I want to believe he's trying to say "white people seem to also be victims of police brutality!!!11", but he's really doing it the wrong way because he's in shock.

But I know he's more probably just a racist poo poo.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
he seems genuinely surprised that he, a rich white male in america, is receiving equal treatment from the police. lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
also how does he make money? is that 1.4m from debian??

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
he works at docker now; probably a mix of money and options from having a well situated place in the hierarchy, and any interests he picked up working for sun/whomever else

https://angel.co/docker-3

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you use debian or ubuntu you are a racist. someone had to say it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
isn

pram posted:

isnt suse the one that's big in europe, though?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

what about trisquel?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
a problematic operations system

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
im pretty sure that dudes brain is betraying him, if its not a sec fuckup

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't see a troll hacking being so... specific? there's also no "lulz potential" like the dude being anally raped by the police or something

pram
Jun 10, 2001
beep boop non-optimal lulz yield

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pretty effective way to ruin someone's reputation,

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

good luck Linux man

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bet he never HEARD THem coming hahahaha

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

bet he never HEARD THem coming hahahaha

:woop:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

bet he never HURD THem coming hahahaha

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

now thats what i call lomarf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kazinsal posted:

ian murdock got rich as an executive at the largest Microsoft Exchange™ installation in the world

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I installed Fedora 23 and besides the fact that it doesn't play media or use eCryptfs out of the box, and the extra step of adding more SELinux policies, it was incredibly painless. No need to do anything to my home directory besides SELinux relabeling.

The only wrinkle is that the login keyring doesn't get unlocked when I login.

All in all, four penguins out of five. Gonna stay on the cutting edge until I bleed out.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao someone who janitors selinux on their desktop

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

gotta secure my home directory against neurotypicals

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

pram posted:

lmao someone who janitors selinux on their desktop

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
And fedora is "free" so good luck getting working video drivers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

craisins posted:

yeah but your other option is red hat, so...

oh no, having to run an os for adults, it'll clash with my anime desktop background

does anyone actually make a centos tweak that just tosses a reasonable desktop configuration on it, or is it actually ok as-is? i haven't kept track of this stuff for ages, but fedora is no longer representative of rhel right?

i like a lot of people only really run linux since i make software that deploys on rhel, so it seems a bit silly that i am running some other variant which exists for pretty nebulous reasons

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Apt is much, much better then yum

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh no, having to run an os for adults, it'll clash with my anime desktop background

does anyone actually make a centos tweak that just tosses a reasonable desktop configuration on it, or is it actually ok as-is? i haven't kept track of this stuff for ages, but fedora is no longer representative of rhel right?

i like a lot of people only really run linux since i make software that deploys on rhel, so it seems a bit silly that i am running some other variant which exists for pretty nebulous reasons

at redhat, we deploy on rhel but most sane developers use fedora for development. if you want to develop on rhel, you're gonna need to ad so many unsupported repos that you might as well be using fedora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

at redhat, we deploy on rhel but most sane developers use fedora for development. if you want to develop on rhel, you're gonna need to ad so many unsupported repos that you might as well be using fedora.

here you get your choice of windows 7 or rhel 6 for development lmao