Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder who decided that the guy on the cover has to kind of look like him.

Gallery Books are the publishers. And from their website:
"With a focus on women’s fiction, pop culture, lifestyle, and memoir, Gallery publishes New York Times bestselling authors from Tori Spelling to Tim Gunn."

So, uhm, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Prophets do quite a bit though. They destroy s fleet, which we didn't think thrm capable of. And they correctly prophesied and even developed prophecy technology in the form of the orbs.

But are they more powerful than the Q?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Nah. The prophets had to go across the galaxy to gently caress a restaurant owner to ensure that the half breed that resulted would commit suicide to stop one of their own.

The Q would just snap their fingers and sort whatever poo poo out.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kind of sad that the guy who played Sinclair had to quit because he was literally going insane.

I have never heard this before, what?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

happyhippy posted:

Nah. The prophets had to go across the galaxy to gently caress a restaurant owner to ensure that the half breed that resulted would commit suicide to stop one of their own.

The Q would just snap their fingers and sort whatever poo poo out.

Yeah I don't think there's anything as powerful as the Q. Maybe the Edo Guardian. Maybe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

I have never heard this before, what?

They gave some other reason for him leaving the show originally but revealed after he died that Michael O'Hare started suffering from paranoid delusions during the filming of the show. Apparently he specifically told JMS that it was okay to talk about it after he died.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

They gave some other reason for him leaving the show originally but revealed after he died that Michael O'Hare started suffering from paranoid delusions during the filming of the show. Apparently he specifically told JMS that it was okay to talk about it after he died.

Yeah, just found out by looking him up. Turns out he had really bad schizophrenia. Poor guy, he was super classy about it and always spoke highly of the show after leaving

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, just found out by looking him up. Turns out he had really bad schizophrenia. Poor guy, he was super classy about it and always spoke highly of the show after leaving

I met him once, a bunch of years ago when he was the guest of honor at a convention I was helping to put together. REALLY nice guy, the absolute opposite of the Hollywood stereotype. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

But since this is the Star Trek thread, and also Christmas:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nelix some how looks more dignified and less clown like. Also how isn't Avery Brooks in some sort of insane Kwanzaa sweater.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I get that Worf is Jewish, that makes total sense, but Sisko?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

FrensaGeran posted:

I get that Worf is Jewish, that makes total sense, but Sisko?

Black Hebrew Israelite.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

drat Jake is stylin it up there like he's got a date at vic's later on with some crazy-rear end space cougar who gets off on book writing or something

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Howard Beale posted:

drat Jake is stylin it up there like he's got a date at vic's later on with some crazy-rear end space cougar who gets off on book writing or something

That is the stupidest idea ever and no one would even make an episode about it :colbert:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kind of sad that the guy who played Sinclair had to quit because he was literally going insane.

Yeah, I think the original cover story was the studio wanted someone more...uhh whats the word, TV friendly or whatever. Reading some stuff on Michael O'Hare was pretty sad in a way, but I have mad respect for the guy, and then even coming back to do some more later in the show despite all of that.

That show has had terrible luck with its cast, I think seven of them have died so far! :(

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ugggh that Into Darkness movie gets way worse the second or third time you see it. That cumberbatch guy's acting job is so brutal that he should have been charged with a crime. It's like the motherfucker thought he was still strapped into the facial recognition gear from the time he played a dragon in a hobbits movie. And the end was some major-league barrel-scraping bullshit. I think my new years' resolution is to not watch the third one, like, ever.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Has he been good at anything that wasn't the first one or two episodes of Sherlock? Before he had to try his shtick in that awful Baskervilles plot and it failed like an overcooked egg?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Anyone else think it's weird how casually the nagus was treated by everyone not quark?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

Has he been good at anything that wasn't the first one or two episodes of Sherlock? Before he had to try his shtick in that awful Baskervilles plot and it failed like an overcooked egg?

He was good in the imitation game.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone else think it's weird how casually the nagus was treated by everyone not quark?

It's due to racism against the ferengi people. They don't respect his office or his authority because he still worships capitalism.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Do the Ferengi even maintain a diplomatic corps? I don think they do, so to a Federation raised citizen or uniform it would be like meeting the CEO of a company you don't work for from an industry you have no contact with.

I mean, how excited would you be to meet Dave Petratis, CEO of Allegion, distributor of Schlage-brand locks and entry way devices?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

drilldo squirt posted:

No, obsequiousness towards authority is a character trait of Quark's that he displays pretty often. Other Ferengi treat the Nagus relatively causally because they're mostly either high-status Ferengi who are used to dealing with the Nagus, or Rom, who is too socially awkward to treat him differently than he does anyone else. The Starfleet types are casual because they can't take the Nagus (or this money thing) seriously. And Kira doesn't do it because she doesn't want to put up with this bullshit in the first place.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kitchner posted:

It's due to racism against the ferengi people. They don't respect his office or his authority because he still worships capitalism.

Drinkin' root beer in the homo sapiens only club.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

Do the Ferengi even maintain a diplomatic corps? I don think they do, so to a Federation raised citizen or uniform it would be like meeting the CEO of a company you don't work for from an industry you have no contact with.

I mean, how excited would you be to meet Dave Petratis, CEO of Allegion, distributor of Schlage-brand locks and entry way devices?

Dave is a cool guy, he lets me call him Davey P

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
All the middling or downright awful ds9 Ferengi episodes are worth it for that episode with Iggy Pop and the zombie Vorta. Plus it was nice to finally meet Cousin Gaila, did you known he owns his own moon?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Figaro posted:

All the middling or downright awful ds9 Ferengi episodes are worth it for that episode with Iggy Pop and the zombie Vorta. Plus it was nice to finally meet Cousin Gaila, did you known he owns his own moon?

We'd already met him. Quark ruined Gaila's weapon business with his hue-mon conscience which is why he's broke and hates Quark.

I'm going to watch it again this week because The Magnificent Ferengi owns from start to finish.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Harveygod posted:

I'm going to watch it again this week because The Magnificent Ferengi owns from start to finish.
DS9 owns from start to finish except for the start and well, the finish.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
im at this point in my watchthrough and i love it so much i natch gotta repost it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

That show has had terrible luck with its cast, I think seven of them have died so far! :(

It'll turn out that Harlan Ellison is secretly behind it in some bid to extend his own lifespan.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Figaro posted:

Lol look at this guy's wrong opinions about the Ferengi episodes. The Ferengi episodes are the best ever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

im at this point in my watchthrough and i love it so much i natch gotta repost it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acF2f3XLfCo

the chuckle at the end is great

"maybe you should talk to Worf again lol"

Kitchner posted:

Lol look at this guy's wrong opinions about the Ferengi episodes. The Ferengi episodes are the best ever.

I second this opinion

the dude who played the Sicilian in Princess Bride is great as the Nagus

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Angela Christine posted:

I bet most enlisted crew aren't in it for a career. They take a one or two year stint, then go home with a bunch of cool stories. It's a pointless dangerous thing, but lots of people pay big bucks to climb everest these days. People do dumb poo poo all the time. In a post scarcity future cool -real- experiences are hard to come by.

This makes perfect sense actually. Prestige, social credit, and feeling like you accomplished something in life are probably rare commodities in the post-scarcity world too.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
worf killing weyoun and dukat loving up that klingon ship rather than go through a prolonged deception scene are probably ds9's most badass moments

this post proudly brought to you by animeownage86

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
https://youtu.be/i5fIqJZsQlU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0cFLb-JmaQ

Obviously, this clip is just as deep and meaningful right? Nu-trek is basically the same and anyone who doesn't like it is a crusty old grognard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat that's awful

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know this is fanficky, but with what they were working with in Into Darkness, I would have went away from the whole 'corrupt Starfleet' angle and maybe have played up the notion that Kirk and company are being sent on a rescue mission after reports of an unregistered Earth vessel had been captured by the Klingons. "Into Darkness" would be more about the fog of war, venturing alone into a disputed frontier without a guide or a line for support from home, and fighting an enemy they'd yet to face.

You make the Klingons the foes, you maybe put in a known Klingon figure as the main heavy. You get some starship fights, some ground fights, a rescue, chaos, narrow escape, etc.

Film doesn't get into the augments/Khan stuff at all until the end when we get a pre-credits stinger of a Botany Bay patch on one of the rescued or something. You have a film sequel (with some subtitle that alludes to Paradise Lost or something) about an escalating fight aboard the damaged Enterprise between augments and Starfleet and a continuing story of them trying to sneak back to behind Federation borders while being stalked by a Klingon ship: A battle on two fronts trying to defend the ship and making deals with the devil on both sides.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Umm there need to be motorcycles or dune buggies hth

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the best Star Trek episodes tend to be the ones where they never leave the ship/space station and just deal with some complicated temporal situation in a confined space, usually having everyone's major character traits clash together in surreal or new ways.

What I'm trying to say is, the next Trek movie should be Reservoir Dogs in Space

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Paramount and CBS, when the lawsuits fell. Injunction, his arms tied up.

quote:

Back in August, an Indiegogo campaign raised $566,023 to produce Axanar, a Star Trek movie in development by an independent group of fans, who also happen to be film professionals. Now, unfortunately but predictably, Paramount and CBS have filed a lawsuit in California federal court claiming their intellectual property is being infringed upon. They are "demanding an injunction as well as damages for direct, contributory and vicarious copyright infringement." The guy running the crowdfunded film is a lawyer, and he said, "We've certainly been prepared for this and we certainly will defend this lawsuit. There are a lot of issues surrounding a fan film. These fan films have been around for 30 years, and others have raised a lot of money." He said CBS/Paramount weren't willing to provide guidelines on what types of fan productions would be tolerated (unlike Lucasfilm with Star Wars), because they worry about setting precedent.

Sounds like someone high up didn't get their muffin basket protection money or maybe Captain Worf is ratting people out like rival drug dealers are known to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's their definition of "film professionals"? I've never seen one of those Trek fan films that didn't look laughably bad.

• Locked thread