Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

armoredgorilla posted:

Unironically agree with everything about crafting and gathering. That poo poo only drags MMOs down.

crafting owns dont be a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:yeah:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Literally The Worst posted:

I like the idea of crafting/gathering but considering how tedious it is to level compared to WoW makes me sad.

I just want to be a MasterChef Eorzea.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Yo peeps. I've got this game on PC and have a level 50 character on Excalibur, which is an NA server I guess? I got a PS4 a few days ago and wanna buy FFXIV on here too. I'm based in Norway, but I guess this game doesn't care about regions? I can just buy it on the PSN store and play my 50 SMN?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Of course they're a Lalafell

Do they play a paladin as well?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Granbar posted:

Yo peeps. I've got this game on PC and have a level 50 character on Excalibur, which is an NA server I guess? I got a PS4 a few days ago and wanna buy FFXIV on here too. I'm based in Norway, but I guess this game doesn't care about regions? I can just buy it on the PSN store and play my 50 SMN?

Servers don't matter, but the account kinda does. If your monthly sub is charged in EUR and not USD you should be right, though.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

kirbysuperstar posted:

Servers don't matter, but the account kinda does. If your monthly sub is charged in EUR and not USD you should be right, though.

Seems to be.
"30 days (£7.69 / 10.99 €)"

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like the idea of crafting/gathering but considering how tedious it is to level compared to WoW makes me sad.

I just want to be a MasterChef Eorzea.

WoW crafting is "press button, get item". It's not even really a system in the game. I'm not sure why they're considered comparable.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Meiteron posted:

What's really funny is people got bored this patch because they couldn't clear the raiding content.

As a hardcore raider who went through a loving torture gauntlet to get A4S and below on farm, all I've gotten from the experience is the understanding that Yoshi shouldn't have been listening to people like me, and indeed should never listen to people like me in the future, if listening to us results in a raid tier like Gordias Savage. It harms the wider game in order to cater to such a small fraction of the population.

They had the solution back in Second Coil by having a hard-but-not-ballbuster raid during the raid patch and a bragging-rights-only savage version in the off patch. That was fine, that was something for the real keeners while also leaving the raid open for a larger population. Add a babby-mode like alex normal for people who just want the plot and call it good.

I think the truth is that FF14 does a better job catering to a more casual audience with over the top visuals in fights and awesome music, and focusing on a more hardcore audience is just going to gently caress things up.

Let WoW be the big boy in regards to raiding. It's worked really well for them in Warlords of Draenor.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

didn't you just start playing this game

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've been doing crafting dailies whenever I remember to do it and burning all my accumulated gil buying stuff on the MB instead of crafting it myself (probably not the best decision now that I'm heading into 30+). It's a nice mindless way to level up, at least.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Willias posted:

Let WoW be the big boy in regards to raiding. It's worked really well for them in Warlords of Draenor.

:lol:

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So any tips for starting out? I've always liked Lancers/Dragoons from FF games (spears/lances rock), also I like crafting when there's some sort of involvement in it besides "click and wait"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So any tips for starting out? I've always liked Lancers/Dragoons from FF games (spears/lances rock), also I like crafting when there's some sort of involvement in it besides "click and wait"

Lancer/Dragoon is a good class, but it has a really nasty lull for a chunk of the early levels where you'll be spamming a single attack because it's more effective than the two-part combo you have. But once you get past that it's a lot of fun, definitely one of my favorite classes.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Take an hour or so out of your time and grab Internal Release as soon as it's convenient (Pugilist level 12), and get into the habit of using it when it comes off cooldown. I didn't grab it for the classes I play until well after I hit 50, and it took me weeks to get used to timing it properly.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Willias posted:

I think the truth is that FF14 does a better job catering to a more casual audience with over the top visuals in fights and awesome music, and focusing on a more hardcore audience is just going to gently caress things up.

Raiding in wow has never been a problem. It's stuff outside of raiding that has been the issue.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Warlords was a bust, from what I could tell, because it seemed like your Garrison followers went on more adventures than your character did.

Griz
May 21, 2001

vOv posted:

I've been doing crafting dailies whenever I remember to do it and burning all my accumulated gil buying stuff on the MB instead of crafting it myself (probably not the best decision now that I'm heading into 30+). It's a nice mindless way to level up, at least.

Ixal dailies are great up to 50 and from there you can do all the GC dailies with stuff from npc vendors.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Griz posted:

Ixal dailies are great up to 50 and from there you can do all the GC dailies with stuff from npc vendors.

Won't Ixal dailies interfere with the Anima grind?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kharaa posted:

didn't you just start playing this game

As a whole, across mmos as a genre

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

Only from a time perspective, and it seems that the common wisdom at the moment is to ignore beast tribes entirely in favor of A1/A4 for bones and seeds, Poe for shells, law on ores, and ARR hunts for seeds / more poe, A3 only being an option if you can push and skip oozes.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 30, 2015

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Am I anime enough?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

vOv posted:

I still don't understand this decision. Why are Ixal rewards specifically excluded? Do they just not want us to have the possibility of advancing anything while Anima grinding?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

As a whole, across mmos as a genre

Crafting in this game is not comparable in any way whatsoever with any other MMO.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

TheRagamuffin posted:

I still don't understand this decision. Why are Ixal rewards specifically excluded? Do they just not want us to have the possibility of advancing anything while Anima grinding?

Because there are people who have been religiously keeping up with their Ixal dailies and have hundreds of oaknots piled up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Three reasons why Ixal are excluded:

First is that they're crafter based and the current step already has a crafter required contribution and there generally isn't more than one of that per step.

The second is that you only get 12 beast tribe quests a day and with five beast tribes, someone's gotta be left out.

Third reason is that their content doesn't interact with any other old content IE old fates and such. Go to place, get thing/buff, craft, deliver. That's it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

kharaa posted:

Crafting in this game is not comparable in any way whatsoever with any other MMO.
I played EVE* and even after a spreadsheet 2000x100 in size with all the materials and sources all mapped out so I could punch in the number of everything I wanted so I could get the giant shopping list of everything I'd need to haul to a location I could build something THAT still amounted to "Push Button -> Receive Bacon". Having to actually pay some attention to crafting now is plain weird after that.

*It's changed in some ways in the last 3 years since I played but idk the details. I'm sure it's still mostly the same old though.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Got my Monk to 60! My gear is a little wacky at the moment, and I still gently caress up my DoTs a fair bit, and have NO idea what to do when Perfect Balance comes off cooldown while I'm at full stacks. Should I use it to cram in a bunch of consecutive Bootshines for the crit damage, or should I drop a Tornado Kick and PB my stacks back right away?

I'm pulling about 1100-1150 on a dummy, is that low for how I'm geared?

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGddM6U8Xps

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Out of all of those things I dislike that sig of his the most

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh man you can tell just by the sig that that dude is completely unbearable (like me)

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
I really hate when people is incompetent after all :downs:

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Guyz, can I get an invite? (Excalibur, Iam Craig)

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Guyz, can I get an invite? (Excalibur, Iam Craig)

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27222

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The base game is currently in the latest Humble Bundle for a meager break the average price ($5.35 at time of writing), and if you don't like it, your money at least went to making kids lives better or something.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

kafziel posted:

Got my Monk to 60! My gear is a little wacky at the moment, and I still gently caress up my DoTs a fair bit, and have NO idea what to do when Perfect Balance comes off cooldown while I'm at full stacks. Should I use it to cram in a bunch of consecutive Bootshines for the crit damage, or should I drop a Tornado Kick and PB my stacks back right away?

PB's main uses are getting your stacks up in a hurry on a single target (read: start of boss fights, middle of longer boss fights if mechanics make you lose stacks) and AoEing effectively on trash (Rockbreaker spam). Form Shift helps a lot with the former but PB is even better when it's up.

For the niche you describe though (single target, no upcoming stack-losing mechanics or AoE trash pulls in the next 3 minutes), I don't endgame monk so I won't make any particular recommendation. I see merit in both options (you'll want to use a Snap Punch or Demolish at some point in the PB to keep your stacks up afterward though).

Though personally as a filthy casual monk, my reaction would be to shrug and save it for one of the scenarios where it is important, even if they don't happen to come up in the next 3 minutes and it would've been off cooldown anyway. Tornado Kick in particular is pretty awkward to work with for anything that isn't a predictable mechanic that unavoidably forces you to lose stacks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Griz posted:

Wait, you can do all the GC dailies with stuff you get from NPC vendors? I've been using MB items like a chump :(

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sometimes they'll ask for an item you can't get from vendor, but many of the requested items are totally vendorable.

Probably less so for CUL, but you can just ride the muffin train to 60 with levequests for that.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

kafziel posted:

congrats, youre already in the top 10% for pub exdr dps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Is that reasonable/affordable? I know people were freaking out about how expensive and potentially unrewarding it was to work it up back when the expansion first hit, but that sure sounds better than grinding things out with pricey mats at any rate.

Maybe I should just wait for another Ixal-style catchup mechanic. I'd prefer to have the full sheet of 60s, but most of what I use DoH classes for is repairing.

• Locked thread