Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Someone tripped on the ethernet cord....

The servers were having heat issues so they hit O, and now the servers have exploded.

(Sorry, Commoners. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hi, we ran into an Oxide that did ~800 damage and secured 6 kills within 2 minutes of the match starting tonight!

Do you know what they were packing?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The servers were having heat issues so they hit O, and now the servers have exploded.

(Sorry, Commoners. :v:)

I've spectated PGI builds. I don't think they know what heatsinks are.

Takkaryx posted:

Helios, from the sound of it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Takkaryx posted:

All of us literally died immediately in one shot so no one actually had a chance to see.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

All of us literally died immediately in one shot so no one actually had a chance to see.

either this is a gross exaggeration or there is some sort of damage modifier hack out there because obviously an oxide can not literally do that

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

For the curious:
PPCs do 10 damage, generate 10 heat, and have a 4s cooldown.
So 2.5 DPS, 2.5 HPS.
LPLs do 11 damage, generate 7 heat, and have a .67s duration/3.25 s cooldown
2.81 DPS, 1.79 HPS.

LPLs can spread damage around a bit when people are twisting, but PPCs are an actual projectile that you have to hit with. Even with 50% velocity this isn't trivial. PPCs have 180m extra range, but again the projectile vs hitscan issue alongside their 90m minimum range makes them a lot less practical.
All-in-all, if you care about maximum winning, there's barely any mechs where i'd take PPCs over LPLs, LLs or anything else really. Their damage/heat efficiency is just cripplingly bad.
Gauss is a similar boat at the moment- their DPS is less than an AC/5, and the chargeup time makes their alpha a lot less useful.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

teepo posted:

either this is a gross exaggeration or there is some sort of damage modifier hack out there because obviously an oxide can not literally do that

all i can do is report on what happened. to reiterate, the match ended at about 2:07 in. In that 2 minutes, and really it's more like 1 once you take away the time until engagement, that Oxide did just shy of 800 damage, got 6 kills, and the rest of the team basically blew us the gently caress up just as easily - just not to the degree that this particular individual did. I'm actually pretty certain several of them were cheating.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

just coming here to post that

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon

teepo posted:

can an Oxide legitmately kill 6 mechs in a row and cause severe damage to several more, doing almost 800 damage total, in a game that was exactly 2:07? because that's what happened to us, and a notable percentage of that 2:07 wasn't actually a fight but everyone moving into position. he blew away my fairly pristine TW from the front then got another heavy right behind me before my mech stopped it's ragdoll flop, and not long after that I watched him magically nuke a Locust that was out-turning him. If he wasn't cheating he must have been jacked directly into the game like it was the loving Matrix, there's being good and lucky at the same time and then there's this bullshit

I eats my spinach fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 30, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

my favorite part was spectating Ansob in his Stormcrow immediately after I got toasted and watching his entire left side disappear all at once.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
As a locust I outsurvived the rest of the team because I was out turning him and he couldn't center on me, but the moment I stopped circling he blew my face up. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

As a griffin I survived an encounter with an arctic cheetah by unplugging MWOs servers.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
recently some lord guy literally cored my fresh highlander with a single alpha strike from his bj1x and i'm still struggling to come up with an explanation

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Great Beer posted:

As a griffin I survived an encounter with an arctic cheetah by unplugging MWOs servers.

:master:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

teepo posted:

recently some lord guy literally cored my fresh highlander with a single alpha strike from his bj1x and i'm still struggling to come up with an explanation

The paper doll seems to have trouble updating sometimes. I've put a quartet of srms into an ebon jags should and have it show yellow armor, but a second shot to the same shoulder put it in deep red structure. So you may have been hit before and the game just didn't tell you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is the game down right now?

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
Yep, everything from game servers to website went down with no prior warning about an hour ago :pgi:

my hypothesis is that the pretend robot shell game has finally collapsed, and Num19 is going to go into work tomorrow to find that the whole place has been converted into a Pretzel Time

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I hope my MC converts to pretzels

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Someone plugged the servers back in. They's up and runnin'.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

my favorite part was spectating Ansob in his Stormcrow immediately after I got toasted and watching his entire left side disappear all at once.

I went from orange armour on my left arm/yellow armour on my left torso to just not having a left side at all in about half a second. I didn't even have the time to register I was being shot at. I then died two seconds later.

It wasn't very fun. :(

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I watched a crow get 1 shot today. It walked out in front a bit and then got shot once and died... I hope things like that aren't a common thing in this game because that would be a good reason not to play.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Getting one shot is pretty hard to do unless its some serious clan gimmick build, or someone just ate an ammo explosion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I went from orange armour on my left arm/yellow armour on my left torso to just not having a left side at all in about half a second. I didn't even have the time to register I was being shot at. I then died two seconds later.

It wasn't very fun. :(

A King Crab saw you probably.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

There was a hardware failure at our host. It has been resolved and everything is back to normal.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The oxide and its team were all tagged 228 or 288 or something like that. I was in an arctic cheetah and have never been in a match where I took that much damage that quickly. It was odd to say the least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DancingShade posted:

A King Crab saw you probably.

No.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I could see an Oxide doing that much damage legitimately in two minutes if it got behind people and blew off side torsos through rear armour, as I believe when you explode a side torso it adds the total armour + structure values of the attached arm to your damage total. Given a lot of people (including me!) run with sub 10 points of rear armour on assault mechs you can probably core out a torso section in around 3 seconds from behind with a heavy SRM build at point blank range.

Also 228 is from what I remember a legit good team who do post videos of their games and do not appear to be cheating? But do coordinate fire well.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I watched a crow get 1 shot today. It walked out in front a bit and then got shot once and died... I hope things like that aren't a common thing in this game because that would be a good reason not to play.

I ended up one shotting 2 people via head shots one after another on Tourmaline before. Fortunately they are people I play against a lot, so they didn't cry foul. That sort of thing is super rare though. 1 shotting anything that isn't a light that hasn't properly spread it's armor doesn't happen often.

Playing with goons, even without mumble access yet (I just broke Kurita contract tonight, so I couldn't join WoL to get info) was a pretty big difference. The Boar's Head really shines when playing with a more coordinated group. My alpha isn't as big, but that doesn't matter when I'm concentrating all that damage right in the CT of the enemy. Was good times.

Patrat posted:

Also 228 is from what I remember a legit good team who do post videos of their games and do not appear to be cheating? But do coordinate fire well.

I've played against them a lot in CW, and I've never had any reason to suspect them of cheating. Pug teams can get to at least 24 kills against them, which is pretty good for pugs against a 12 mans. Then again, I hardly come across anyone who may be blatantly cheating.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 30, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Reached tier 3 despite my best efforts sticking to terrible robots, decided to clear out some garage space and get these Panthers elited already. Not wanting to invest much into some of them, I took the PNT-8Z out with just two SRM4 and a lot of ammo. I just cornered and cored an ER PPC Atlas, and then nearly legged a Stalker, getting the second leg red before his friends figured out how to defeat my bodyshield strategy by walking around him in two directions.

What is wrong with the people playing this game?

e: How is solo queue matchmaking done now, regarding weight? Are you still punished for taking a 'mech on the light end of a given weight class, or does it try to assemble teams of equivalent total weight now?

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 30, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

As a locust I outsurvived the rest of the team because I was out turning him and he couldn't center on me, but the moment I stopped circling he blew my face up. :v:

Have I taught you nothing?!

INTJ but horny
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.
Added myself to the WoL list. Also I'm low on Cbills, anyone know a good fitting for the founders atlas-d?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Haven't looked at that thing in ages. 350std, ac20, asrm6x2, mplasx4? Nearly 70 dmg alpha, just go easy on the mplas.

It now comes with defense against crits, interesting.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Repo Man posted:

I've played against them a lot in CW, and I've never had any reason to suspect them of cheating. Pug teams can get to at least 24 kills against them, which is pretty good for pugs against a 12 mans. Then again, I hardly come across anyone who may be blatantly cheating.

Nope. Not the 228's. Never. Not even once.

e: :histdowns:

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 30, 2015

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
So are we talking a different 228 than the one modpud was a part of?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
What's the difference between straight up lasers and pulse? I get that they fire differently - but is there any benefit to one over the other? Do lasers just give a constant stream of dps but have more heat build up?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Stringbean posted:

What's the difference between straight up lasers and pulse? I get that they fire differently - but is there any benefit to one over the other? Do lasers just give a constant stream of dps but have more heat build up?

Pulse lasers have worse range, but do more damage (and generate more heat) over time by cycling faster- you have to keep a laser over your target for the full duration to get full damage out of it, and pulse lasers apply their damage over a shorter duration than standard lasers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
A *fast* (IE: normal) Oxide can sport 2SRM6s. A slow one can pack up to 2SRM6+2SRM4. Quite a punch for a light, but not exactly "core you in 1 volley" material, especially cause the launchers are in 3 different locations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

A *fast* (IE: normal) Oxide can sport 2SRM6s. A slow one can pack up to 2SRM6+2SRM4. Quite a punch for a light, but not exactly "core you in 1 volley" material, especially cause the launchers are in 3 different locations.

the Jenner IIc can comfortably fit 4 srm6 if you run a 295, has enough ammo for em, plus junp jets, its a loving blas to play

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I want to put five lrm20s on a summoner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mechwarrior Online: "Crack the back of that King Crab open so the lights can feast on it's succulent butt meat"

• Locked thread