Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Hauki posted:

I use loctite super glue and gel control super glue depending. They usually set within seconds.

I picked up some Loctite at the grocery store and HOLY CRAP it works great. Thanks!

E:

Finally could put these guys together today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Messed around with color transitions. Going from bright green to deep purplish blue. The purple gets sort of lost on my phone camera, but whatevs. It was a fun experiment.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bit of a bizaare question, but how on earth would I go about painting beer? Currently painting some Guildball Brewers and need some ideas on how to paint the spilt beer on Stave and Spiggot.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

SteelMentor posted:

Bit of a bizaare question, but how on earth would I go about painting beer? Currently painting some Guildball Brewers and need some ideas on how to paint the spilt beer on Stave and Spiggot.

Depending how it is spilling I would almost paint it off white, then a heavy drybrushing of a lighter white. Beer froths when it's moved quickly

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Looking at the models, I'd paint it brown, and then drybrush an off-white (like Reaper's linen white) on raised bits of the sloth to represent the foam.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Goddammit I've cleaned my brush in my coffee twice today.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Drink out of bottles or pour your coffee into some kinda lidded thermus.

Or put your coffee down juuusssst out of arms reach so you dont mistake it.

Also, coffee when you paint? Shaky hands and all that.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

quote:

The Spirit stood among the graves, and pointed down to One. He advanced towards it trembling. The Phantom was exactly as it had been, but he dreaded that he saw new meaning in its solemn shape.

"Before I draw nearer to that stone to which you point," said Elminster, "answer me one question. Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only?"

Still the Ghost pointed downward to the grave by which it stood.

"Character's courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead," said Elminster. "But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!"

The Spirit was immovable as ever.

Elminster crept towards it, trembling as he went; and following the finger, read upon the stone of the neglected grave his own name, Elminster Scrooge.

"Am I that man who lay upon the bed?" he cried, upon his knees.

The finger pointed from the grave to him, and back again.

"No, Spirit! Oh no, no!"

The finger still was there.

"Spirit!" he cried, tight clutching at its robe, "hear me! I am not the DMPC I was. I will not be the DMPC I must have been but for this intercourse. Why show me this, if I am past all hope?"

For the first time the hand appeared to shake.

"Good Spirit," he pursued, as down upon the ground he fell before it: "Your nature intercedes for me, and pities me. Assure me that I yet may change these shadows you have shown me, by an altered life!"

The kind hand trembled.

"I will honour player agency in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will not show up every other charactr that comes along. I won't exist purely to fluff Ed Greenwood's Ego. I'll... I'll even stop sleeping with every beautiful woman in the realms! Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone!"

In his agony, he caught the spectral hand. It sought to free itself, but he was strong in his entreaty, and detained it. The Spirit, stronger yet, repulsed him.

Holding up his hands in a last prayer to have his fate reversed, he saw an alteration in the Phantom's hood and dress. It shrunk, collapsed, and dwindled down into a bedpost.

Finally finished this. The OSL isn't quite as stark in person; that's an artifact of the flash from the camera.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Also, coffee when you paint? Shaky hands and all that.

Now I'm drinking so that should even it out.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

JackMann posted:

Finally finished this. The OSL isn't quite as stark in person; that's an artifact of the flash from the camera.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

JackMann posted:

This owns. You own.

Today, I was sick from work. But instead of sitting on my couch watching some poo poo on Netflix, I decided to work on my newest commission: a Buttload of Cygnar.

Zenith priming forever

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
So I have a problem and I was hoping you fellas could help me solve it.

I am going to be painting alpha legion marines for 30k and I have found a lovely paint to use on them, but the problem is I live in Alaska and the company is based in Europe with no vendors to the states.

The paint is Pentart acrylics metallic teal:

I am willing to pay a finders fee and all costs for a few bottles of this stuff and I was hoping to find an amazing goon to help me with this.

PM me if you can help me with this and thanks for the time of day, I know it's kind of out of turn to ask.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I've had a Typhon kicking around for a while, but I've been waiting for some extra bits.. and it finally arrived.

Uh-oh..

This isn't right..

Yalp, it's too small. I like the aesthetics but the plow, designed for a Rhino hull, is just too drat narrow on a Typhon.

Therefore, I got to work. Saw off the endplates, measure up some plasticard, fill it up with greenstuff, and..

There we loving go.

That's more like it.

Looks good from this angle, too!

Now I just need to build new mounts for the plow - I'm thinking of using brass rods for integrity, and some plastic tube I have stored up to make 'pistons' out of.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cat Face Joe posted:

I cleaned out a Bath and Body Works 10oz candle jar (Snowapple Mint), no mistaking that for coffee.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sivores posted:

So I have a problem and I was hoping you fellas could help me solve it.

I am going to be painting alpha legion marines for 30k and I have found a lovely paint to use on them, but the problem is I live in Alaska and the company is based in Europe with no vendors to the states.

The paint is Pentart acrylics metallic teal:

I am willing to pay a finders fee and all costs for a few bottles of this stuff and I was hoping to find an amazing goon to help me with this.

PM me if you can help me with this and thanks for the time of day, I know it's kind of out of turn to ask.

For what it's worth I made a very similar color by mixing Vallejo metallic medium with Minitaire ghost tint plasma fluid which might be easier to get

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drake_263 posted:

There we loving go.

I hope this comes out smooth once it's painted - it looks like you did a great job widening that plow!

So I got a bunch of old Orks, new in blister, in an eBay auction a while ago for a hell of a good deal. In there I found a few of the old Kannons, and since they're so cheap and fit the military theme of my Blood Axes, I had to put them together! Unfortunately the two blisters were both missing a grot gunner, so I called up GW and that same day a pair of resin Kannons were on their way, no questions asked! I also used the Forgeworld grot crew models to fill out some bodies in the squad, and they're wonderfully characterful models.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
What I'm surprised about is that it only took me a couple of hours to do when I got into it. Just need to make longer pistons to attach it to the tank with.

Also hnnngggg stop making me want to collect Orks!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Any particular recommendations for Airbrush thinners? Was originally going to grab some of Forge World's stuff as I was already ordering some Thallax from them but gently caress if I'm paying an extra £25 shipping for a single bottle of it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Water, or if you want to pay for something get iwata or Badger thinner. You can also use a mix of water, flow aid and matte medium, just search YouTube for Les Bursley's airbrush thinner mix.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drake_263 posted:

So I've had a Typhon kicking around for a while, but I've been waiting for some extra bits.. and it finally arrived.

Uh-oh..

This isn't right..

Yalp, it's too small. I like the aesthetics but the plow, designed for a Rhino hull, is just too drat narrow on a Typhon.

Therefore, I got to work. Saw off the endplates, measure up some plasticard, fill it up with greenstuff, and..

There we loving go.

That's more like it.

Looks good from this angle, too!

Now I just need to build new mounts for the plow - I'm thinking of using brass rods for integrity, and some plastic tube I have stored up to make 'pistons' out of.

gently caress YES. I have two of the baby versions:

Your Typhon makes me jealous and looks rad with that plow. Just make sure to sand the crap out of the GS to make sure its smooth. What are you painting it as?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BULBASAUR posted:

Just make sure to sand the crap out of the GS to make sure its smooth.

Doesn't GS typically shred itself if you sand it with anything but the finest grit?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You just answered your own question!

Onprac
Dec 29, 2015

Cat Face Joe posted:

I use a small 5oz beer glass for my water, works pretty well and is distinct enough that I don't mix them up when I'm in the zone.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

You just answered your own question!

It was a rhetorical device for warning Drake_263 to exercise caution

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just keep my drink somewhere off the table that I paint on. This is a thing I learned to do while drawing when I was 15. I've dumped ink and paint all over the table, but not one Coke, glass of water, or beer.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you're having problems mixing up your drink and your paint water, I recommend the following: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CUJXMI

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

gently caress YES. I have two of the baby versions:

Your Typhon makes me jealous and looks rad with that plow. Just make sure to sand the crap out of the GS to make sure its smooth. What are you painting it as?

I remember those guys! Wild paintjob. I have two friends who made Typhons with Land Raider hulls paired with that cannon set, it looks just way too freaking beefy for a Rhino-sized chassis.

I'm painting them as loyalist Death Guard! I'm thinking of using thin plasticard strips to make a bigass XIV insignia stretching across the plow.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Doesn't GS typically shred itself if you sand it with anything but the finest grit?

It does, but thankfully I had some slightly-worn 110 grit kicking around. Shaved off the rivets and sanded the whole freaking thing until it feels smooth - at least smooth enough to hide the seams and work! Considering it's a giant plow, a little bit of wear and tear is to be expected.

Edit: Hmmnn, just tried with just the brass rods and while the distance is good, it turns out the height is just enough to leave the plow 'hovering' about half a centimeter above the table. Should I try and fix it to 'rest' on the table, or accept it and move on?

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 29, 2015

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I once drank from my paint water instead of my coke, so now I have a dedicated painting glass thats one of a kind in the apartment. (I also try to paint less black.)

My gobbos are ready for the pitch, now to finish up the other troll and some reserves.

Edit: Still can't decide on a good team name, so open for suggestions!

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 29, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Edit: Hmmnn, just tried with just the brass rods and while the distance is good, it turns out the height is just enough to leave the plow 'hovering' about half a centimeter above the table. Should I try and fix it to 'rest' on the table, or accept it and move on?

I'd expect any plow like that could be raised or lowered as needed; you wouldn't want to be plowing the street if you're just part of a convoy. I think you can position it however you like.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wierre posted:

I once drank from my paint water instead of my coke, so now I have a dedicated painting glass thats one of a kind in the apartment. (I also try to paint less black.)

My gobbos are ready for the pitch, now to finish up the other troll and some reserves.

Edit: Still can't decide on a good team name, so open for suggestions!

poo poo dude, how old are those paints? And are they still good? :stare:

(nice goblins, too)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd expect any plow like that could be raised or lowered as needed; you wouldn't want to be plowing the street if you're just part of a convoy. I think you can position it however you like.

All the other plows in thd army are 'at rest' so OCD screams for me to try that, too. I might try bending the brass rod a bit to get tge right angle. That said, it's not much of a difference so I'll learn to live with it.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Geisladisk posted:

poo poo dude, how old are those paints? And are they still good? :stare:

(nice goblins, too)

Half of them are from 1994 and they are all good, I only had to replace Bleached Bone, Chaos Black and Skull White. First one because it was exceptionally good at drying out, other two because of heavy use. How I still have them is I'm guessing a combination of good paints from GW back then (and they came in 17.5ml jars) and even if I don't paint for a long time I open and add some water and a good shake to each of them. I just transfered them to dropper bottles recently, so hope that also extends their life.

I also don't paint that much.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just finished my first attempt at airbrushing and... wow. I've only basecoated some Shaltari stuff with it and that was so much better than doing it by hand, methinks it'll be getting a lot of use in the not-too-distant future.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

signalnoise posted:

For what it's worth I made a very similar color by mixing Vallejo metallic medium with Minitaire ghost tint plasma fluid which might be easier to get

That might work I'll try it out, thanks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

SteelMentor posted:

Just finished my first attempt at airbrushing and... wow. I've only basecoated some Shaltari stuff with it and that was so much better than doing it by hand, methinks it'll be getting a lot of use in the not-too-distant future.

Even if all I ever did with it was prime, base coat, and varnish, the airbrush would be 100% worth the investment.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Yeah, christmas airbrush buddies and goddamn is it nice so far. I need to get pressure and thinning down properly, but I'm going to pick up some good models to airbrush and get to practicing, maybe do some of the old GW tanks I've got around.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wait Fractured Dimensions actually fulfilled up to the Great Beast? I may yet have the ability to buy their poo poo at retail.

Going back a ways, but I thought you'd like to know that Mortal Arrow appears to have bought out the models from Fractured Dimensions (and apparently took on the task of finishing fulfillment). They've got the Great Beast in the store now at $45. For the size of the model, I think it's actually fairly reasonable.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Think about it more like you're building scenery. The standard choice for something like this is to carve up some insulation foam. If you'd really rather work with an epoxy putty, try something cheaper, like Apoxie Sculpt?

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. Insulation foam worked great and the diorama is currently at the store awaiting judgement. We shall see if I retain my yuletide crown.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Can anyone recommend a close match for the old citadel foundation adeptus battlegrey? My pot is finally running low and it's a colour I use on literally everything, closest I can see is P3 greatcoat grey but I'm pretty sure it's got a bit of a blue tinge to it.

I've checked out the usual comparison charts, which list vallejos equivalents... and they are practically green (VGC heavy grey and VMC russian uniform) so I'm not touching those with a barge pole.

Failing that, I'll just have to work out the ratio of white to black and mix up my own batch (and remember to write down the ratios)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Reaper HD Armor Grey might be close to what you want. You might also look at their Military Grey (not Military Green as suggested by the equivalency charts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is there something I'm missing? I just bought a pot of Tamiya White because gently caress giving GW money, and it behaves differently from basically every other paint I've used, including the pot of Tamiya Nato Black I picked up at the same time. If I use it neat is dries out and goes tacky or stringy almost instantly, if I try to thin it with water it either goes so thin that it pools horribly and acts more like a wash, or almost curdles. Halp.

My nice stark dark grey/white scheme has gone more like dark grey/light grey :(