Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you didn't go buy a bottle of Timotei after watching Lucky Star, you should hand in your anime fan card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

gently caress! I'll edit my post.

and you claim to be a lucky star fan....

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I know it took me a long time to get past how stupid the characters look.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Since I was curious I dug up the OG lucky star thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2416871 because reading archives of old reactions is fascinating to me in a weird way.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, I like reading old threads too, even if it is kind of a silly pastime.

I didn't care much for Lucky Star when I watched it ages ago, didn't hate it or anything, but it didn't do much for me either.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

kater posted:

I know it took me a long time to get past how stupid the characters look.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I almost wonder if i'd feel differently about it now that i've seen a whole hell of a lot more anime; at the time it was the 2nd or 3rd show i'd ever seen fansubbed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a kitten posted:

I almost wonder if i'd feel differently about it now that i've seen a whole hell of a lot more anime; at the time it was the 2nd or 3rd show i'd ever seen fansubbed.

It was the second one I had watched, after Haruhi, and I realized upon rewatching a few years later that a lot of very specific jokes had gone over my head at the time, and I'm sure there's still more that im missing but a majority of the jokes don't depend on it (outside of that one insane Haruhi-centric episode) so I really wasn't missing much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Lucky Star ED segments were pretty consistently hilarious, I think I remember those being my favorite parts. Whether it was the karaoke parts or Minoru Shiraishi's...whatever they were.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh that's definitely true, the ending sketches were super good.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Agronox posted:

I laughed at the sheer audacity of starting a show that way, but holy poo poo a lot of people just HATED that.

This and Same, especially since it came with the whiplash of being all :wtc: at seeing the Opening sequence for the first time

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, people sure were Mad About Moe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

Huh, people sure were Mad About Moe.

But enough about The Perfect Insider.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Page one of that thread is bland as hell. Life was grey pre-namtab

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

darkgray posted:

Feels like I screwed up 2009 in hindsight. Would it be possible to redo a proper 2009 vote now? It could finally give Haruhi s2 the recognition it deserves.

A yearly "best anime of ten years ago" thread could be a cool idea.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I like this idea. Anime of yesteryear in hindsight is an interesting thread.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Namtab posted:

Page one of that thread is bland as hell. Life was grey pre-namtab

More white noise just makes it a lighter shade of grey

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

But enough about The Perfect Insider.

I wonder if i'll finish that, i stalled out around episode 3 or so.

e: what the hell thread am i even in?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

More white noise just makes it a lighter shade of grey

Good contribution mate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Highlighting old random years is a neat idea. In the process f searching for the Lucky Star thread I found out there was a (loose) anime adaptation of Romeo and Juliet that aired in 2007. I'll probably check it out now and it probably won't be anything special but it's something I never even knew existed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Welcome to the best anime oif 2001 thread with such pre-moe contenders as....

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

mahoromatic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Namtab posted:

Baki the Grappler!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh poo poo...there was a PaRappa the Rappa anime in 2001...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

mahoromatic

drat, good point

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Can you keep the random chat to other threads? Part of the point of the thread is to let less frequent visitors browse our wise opinions without wading through a thousand posts of chatter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Apologies.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

darkgray posted:

Can you keep the random chat to other threads? Part of the point of the thread is to let less frequent visitors browse our wise opinions without wading through a thousand posts of chatter.
It's fine, I've already picked up enough recommendations to last me a whole year. By which I mean like 3 shows.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yeah, that 2013 vote got me to watch the show and it was . . . alright? I mean I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it, but I doubt anyone is going to be recommending it as a classic in ten years time. Meanwhile that year also had Chihayafuru 2 and Kyousougiga, both of which I hope will live in the hearts and minds of the next thousand generations.

I found Devil is a Part-Timer extremely funny, and it would probably have been on my list somewhere for that year.

For my part, I can't believe that Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo failed to get even a single vote mention in the 2013 thread, since it may be my favorite show of all time. It carried over across the year from late 2012 to early 2013, so there was a long time between the end of the show and the voting period, and I'm guessing that a lot of people probably avoided it because of mistaken assumptions about the name, but even so...

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 30, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't call it my favorite show ever made, but I liked Sakurasou a lot. That said, it definitely looks and honestly even is a bit generic, so it's no surprise it slipped under a lot of people's radars, especially on ADTRW. '3 episode test' is pretty much 'look at the base premise and decide whether or not I want to watch it,' and while that works for high concept comedies and weird shonen and stuff, it means that stuff that just executes really well on a fairly basic idea slips through the cracks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

For my part, I can't believe that Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo failed to get even a single vote mention in the 2013 thread, since it may be my favorite show of all time. It carried over across the year from late 2012 to early 2013, so there was a long time between the end of the show and the voting period, and I'm guessing that a lot of people probably avoided it because of mistaken assumptions about the name, but even so...

I liked it, and should probably watch it again some time.

But I seem to remember that, at the time, some were complaining that it did nothing but make fun of an autistic kid, and should be boycotted for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

I liked it, and should probably watch it again some time.

But I seem to remember that, at the time, some were complaining that it did nothing but make fun of an autistic kid, and should be boycotted for that.
honestly even if they were literally meant to be autistic (which is, uh, questionable) the show would have done a pretty decent job with them, so :yikes:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It looked boring and i never really heard anyone praise it, is it actually good?

i guess endorph already answered that so why is it good might be a better question

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
were there any conflicts in the second half of the show that didn't amount to "person a is insecure about person b being very talented, and has to come to terms with it"? I stopped watching because it just seemed to be that theme over and over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It looked boring and i never really heard anyone praise it, is it actually good?

i guess endorph already answered that so why is it good might be a better question
i answered that, too.

it isn't gonna revolutionize the world or anything but it's a well-executed romantic comedy, all the characters are pretty likable, even the male lead, and the drama that's there actually lands, which is pretty surprising for an anime romantic comedy. My one real complaint is that not all of the jokes are knee-slappers, especially early on. Most of them are the standard anime romcom jokes you've seen before. They aren't overdone to the point of being annoying, but they're kind of just there.

That said, it's a nice, easy to watch show, with basically nothing to actually complain about. The character designs are cute, also. It's pretty much the anime equivalent of a student who gets straight Bs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cool thanks, i'll plan to watch it sometime

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
poo poo I wanted to do this before the year was over, so here I go.

• 5. Rokka no Yuusha
    I know that Rokka is sorta divisive among goons. Some like it, some liked it until they got to the ending and loving hated it, and others hated it midway when it became about mysteries and threw away the Aztec / Mayan setting. I'm firmly in the first camp. I got into Rokka because of the mystery in the first place. I wanted to know who the fake was. I got into it without watching a trailer or anything so I didn't really come off with more expectations other than "how is the author gonna pull it off?" I got hooked from the first episode, and by the time I finished the second (or third) episode I'd already bought the first volume, which I blazed through in a day. Then I ordered the next 4 volumes and blazed through (most of) them as well. Still haven't finished the fifth. Rokka was fun, its characters were interesting, and its mysteries were engaging. To be honest, this is going on my list less because of how good the anime was (it was good, but I never watched the last episode for no good reason). It's going on my list cause it got me interested in light novels again. It's a massive shame that the rest of the books are unlikely to be animated because I really would like to see future volumes adapted into animation. At least I'll always have the books.

• 4. Working!!!
    Working! has always been good, and the newest season is no exception. It would be higher, but I hated Momma Takanashi and found her hella creepy and off putting so it loses points for that. Inami is still cute, Poplar is still small, and Yamada is still Yamada. The season did a good job of wrapping up the whole thing neatly, and even got into deeper story lines as a result. I actually felt sorry for Kozue. I used to hate her. Now I just wish her the best. I'm incredibly happy all the romances worked out. The series was good from the first season to the last, and I'll always remember it fondly. Now, when is Servant x Service S2 coming out???? Or even the author's other series about the yukionna who can't accept the main character's love because it'll make her melt? I fuckin' love the mermaid.

• 3. Oregairu (SNAFU S2)
    SNAFU was good, SNAFU S2 was even better. While SNAFU took some time to set up the characters and get to know them, SNAFU S2 doesn't need to do that and really gets into it from the very first arc. There's not as much comedy as there was in S2, and tensions are even more rampant and things get awkward real fast. I can't admit that I could realize everything that was going on, but reading people's take on the characters in the SNAFU thread while watching the series alongside them was also incredibly interesting and provided a lot of insight. The show does a great job of laying out the issues, pointing out that as dramatic as they might seem to the cast and the viewers, they're still just kids. It also hammers in the repercussions of Hachiman's actions even more strongly, as they don't resolve as easily as they did in the first season - and sometimes even shows us that Hachiman's answers in the previous season may not have even been successful, which all culminates in the heartfelt confession of a desire for something more.

Oh, and Irohass. Easily the best female character of the show. The season. The year. The decade. The century. The millennium. When God created this world he decided that he needed to give it something perfect so that everyone could aspire to it. That was Irohass. Sassy, sly, sneaky, and more, Irohass is the only person who makes the notion of being called Senpai appealing.

It also has the best little sister character in pretty much all of anime. Komachi is great. I love you Komachi. Not as much as Irohass, to be sure, but you're still the best non-Irohass character in the show.

• 2. Non Non Biyori S2
    Slow but relaxing, energetic and carefree, Non Non Biyori was the chillest anime of the season. There's not much of a story, so nothing happens in terms of an overarching plot, but each stand-alone story can pretty much be enjoyed as is. It's incredibly cute and moving and hilarious from the first episode to the last, and I'd honestly say it's even better than the first season, due to the increase in Hikage appearance, Renge reenacting Fist of the North Star, Hotaru acting her age, Candy Store being Candy Store, and so on.

• 1. One Punch Man
    I'm gonna be honest here. If I'd made this list before watching the final episode, OPM would be like, number 3 or something tops. A good adaptation of a stellar manga. But that final episode, man, that loving blasted this series all the way to the top. I loved it. If I had to pick my favorite episode of the entire year, episode 12 of OPM would probably be it. I've always taken OPM a bit non-too seriously. I'd just sorta skim through pages, enjoy the art and the humor, and not really think too much of it. Which isn't to say that's a bad thing, or that OPM is super deep (I don't think it is) but there's a good deal of emotional depth and impact that really got me thinking, as well as what is in my opinion the best action scene I've ever seen in an anime. The parallels between the villain and hero, the role reversal that made you want to root for the underdog villain, the bittersweet conclusion, the callbacks to the first episode, etc. Pretty much everything about that episode was perfect. I had high expectations for OPM but never really entertained the thought that it might exceed the manga. I was wrong. In that one glorious moment, the anime one punched my delusions away.

Oh, and other parts of OPM were good too, yeah. Especially episode 9. That one was loving top notch as well. I actually shed a few tears while watching that all-too memorable scene. Also episode 8, which set up episode 9 and gave us the amazing Angel Rush gif. Also episode 3, which also had a loving amazing battle scene and really gave life to the monster of the episode, propelling him from a one-off monster-of-the-week to a boisterous and memorable behemoth. The other episodes were good too. Great, even.

• 0. Love Live School Idol Project + Movie
    It's a well-kept secret, so I'll say it now. I really like Love Live. I know, I know. Love Live wasn't even this year. But the movie was. So I'm giving it the top (non-existent) ranking. I don't have time to effort post about it now. I'll do it later. This post is long enough already.

Honorable Mentions
Koufuku Grafitti: It was a delight to see the sisterhood / friendship between Ryo and Kirin develop. The story is cute, the characters are cute, the next-episode preview animations are hella cute, everything is cute. Ryo herself is a really fascinating character, especially in how people around her affect her enjoyment of food - she can cook herself a fantastic meal but she can't really taste it if she can't enjoy it. She's literally the personification of the concept of love being the secret ingredient. It's a heartwarming story of how a lonely girl rediscovers the spark that gives her life joy through her budding relationship with her cousin. This would honestly have been a contender for my Top 5, but lost out to Working!!! and Rokka for sentimental reasons.
Ore Monogatari, Yona, Shokugeki no Soma: Adaptations of manga that I like that I didn't watch. Except in the case of Yona, where I skipped over the anime to read the manga so I could be spared the agony of waiting for another chapter. Shin-ah is the best dragon. I want to hug him and Ao.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It's not the end of the year yet, and the votes haven't been tallied, so I'm not too late.

1) Shirobako - No question about it, this is AOTY, and a contender for anime of the decade. I'm having a hard time thinking of any media that has managed to resonate as well with me as this has. Part of it was that I started working last fall, so I saw a ton of my concerns and anxieties reflected in the main cast. To me, that's really what the show was about : young professionals entering the workforce. Going past that, it manages to feature a very large ensemble cast, and manages to give everyone time in the spotlight. I cried at the end, you know which scene.

2) Sound! Euphonium - The best show Kyoani has made since Hyouka. Fantastically animated as always, this show is gorgeous. I played in my high school band, but we never did any competitions. Still, this brought back memories of how hard it was to learn and practice, especially just drilling difficult sections. This is a good high school drama.

3) School-Live - This took a potentially disastorous premise, and made it work really well. The weird juxtaposition of the zombie apocalypse and moe antics worked out far better than I would have expected. Some of the reveals were predictable, but others worked really well. The tension really got to me, and I never skipped the OP.

4) Non Non Biyori Repeat (s2) - If you only watch one cute SOL show from this year, this is the one to watch. Whoever said that this was the best healing anime since Aria gets it.

5) Working!!! (s3) - It's Working!, but with relationship development. If you haven't yet, there's a double episode that was released a few days ago that finishes up the season.

Honourable Mentions
Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair) - I think this might have broken the top 5 if they hadn't forgotten Shirayuki's motivation to become a good herbalist in the second half of the show.

Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] s2 - On a different day, this might have beaten out Working!!!. I like how the story progresses, though there are some points that are relentlessly drilled into the audience. The fights are incredibly pretty.

My Love Story!! - Suna is the best bro

For the requisite cute girls doing cute things SOL anime:
Koufuku Graffiti - The first anime of 2015 that made me hungry
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka??
Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic
YuruYuri SP+s3

Wakakozake - The second anime of 2015 that made me hungry, the first that made me cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Finally managed to get caught up on stuff for the end of the year, so I hope I'm not too late with these:

#5: Death Parade - Having never seen Death Billiards, I went into Death parade expecting “The Saw Movies but with Bar Games”. It turns out Death Parade is less a typical Death Game Anime and closer to being a goofy, vaguely Eastern version of The Seventh Seal. The show smartly uses the typical edgelord death game premise to not only ask interesting questions, but to build surprisingly effective vignettes. Death Parade is a fun ride and a gorgeous production, with the year’s most instantly memorable OP thrown in for good measure.

#4: My Teen RomCom SNAFU Too - SNAFU's biggest problem was the unfortunate tether to the "RomCom" part of its title. Well, not only did S2 effectively eliminate this problem, the show managed to build into a legitimately compelling and nuanced character drama. Even the change in production studio seemed to be an unexpected boon for OreGairu. Anime sequels rarely ever seem to even be good, let alone markedly surpass the original in nearly every way.

#3: Yurikuma Arashi - From Ikuhara’s pet motifs of theatre and fairy tales, to cult horror iconography, YKA invokes an impressive array of imagery and styles. YuriKuma is never quite the same show twice, but still manages to build into a scathing commentary on Japan’s treatment of LGBT communities. It’s certainly rough around the edges, but I’m pretty confident that Kunihiko Ikuhara has forged a third straight masterpiece from YKA’s raw materials.

#2: Owarimonogatari - Yet another year, yet another Monogatari on the list. I feel like I’ve almost run out of praise to heap on this franchise. Owari is as distinctly Monogatari a thing as there ever was, and still somehow finds ways to reach astonishing new heights. After building so many nuanced characters and exploring so many compelling themes, just about anything this show puts on screen for five minutes is going to have more emotional truth and insight than most entire shows.

#1: Sound! Euphonium - After a dismal showing for the last few years, it was starting to seem less and less likely that we’d ever see another true masterpiece from KyoAni. Then, along came Euphonium. Euphonium is, in the grand tradition of great anime dramas, a smartly articulated story of emotional growth and self-acceptance. Though somewhat paradoxically, it is also happens to be a great ensemble piece. It's also absolutely loving gorgeous, too. Maybe KyoAni's best-looking show to date.

• Locked thread