Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My theory is that God was just really, really bored.

Like any good writer, God understands that an interesting story needs some conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
As usual, I like the Sumerian/Akkadian explanation for mankind's imperfections better than the lame fruit thing.

Basically, the reason the gods created mankind in the first place was that they're lazy fucks and wanted servants to toil the fields for them. But to create live they needed divine blood, so they butchered a rebellious god they didn't like and his rebelliousness rubbed off on humans.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Didn't he undermine his own omnipotence by creating humans only to have them displease him?

I've seen Process Theologians get around this by arguing that God actually isn't omnipotent. That he's the foundation of all existence but not its puppeteer. Like how a mother births a child but can't make the child do anything it doesn't want to do once it grows up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xanderkish posted:

I've seen Process Theologians get around this by arguing that God actually isn't omnipotent. That he's the foundation of all existence but not its puppeteer. Like how a mother births a child but can't make the child do anything it doesn't want to do once it grows up.

It's entirely possible for God to be omnipotent and yet not in complete control of everything. It's the basis of free will versus predestination - having power does not commit you to exercising it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jedit posted:

It's entirely possible for God to be omnipotent and yet not in complete control of everything. It's the basis of free will versus predestination - having power does not commit you to exercising it.

You're just changing the question from "why would god do this dumb thing, assuming omnipotence," to "why would god choose to limit his own omnipotence, leading him to do this dumb thing?"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a Gay Abortion for Most Unreadable? 'Cause I think I have a contender.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That Tamir Rice was blatantly murdered, with video proof of the whole affair, while his killers walk without so much as a trial is something that I avoid thinking of.

Have some farts hosted on SRN News:

Forget plot or substance, did it make money?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"I really can't stand the fact that we live in a great and powerful country with the largest GDP in the world, why couldn't we be more like Tuvalu or Nauru?"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

- a homeless man - an employed guy with a roof over his head

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

That Tamir Rice was blatantly murdered, with video proof of the whole affair, while his killers walk without so much as a trial is something that I avoid thinking of.

Have some farts hosted on SRN News:

The whitest of all Middle Easterners.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

"Man, I am tired of all this spending!" *burns a cross in a Muslim person's yard*

Cutting government spending is, like, at the core of the Republican platform. Claiming Trump is popular for reasons that make him identical to all the other Republican candidates is next-level nonsensical. :psyduck:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

dijon du jour posted:

"Man, I am tired of all this spending!" *burns a cross in a Muslim person's yard*

Cutting government spending is, like, at the core of the Republican platform. Claiming Trump is popular for reasons that make him identical to all the other Republican candidates is next-level nonsensical. :psyduck:

It does make sense in the "the Republicans are constantly yelling about reducing government spending while spending more on their pet projects - I'll vote for Trump just to piss them off" way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dijon du jour posted:

Trump's platform is that he's gonna make Mexico pay for the US Govt. budget.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rushputin posted:

As usual, I like the Sumerian/Akkadian explanation for mankind's imperfections better than the lame fruit thing.

Basically, the reason the gods created mankind in the first place was that they're lazy fucks and wanted servants to toil the fields for them. But to create live they needed divine blood, so they butchered a rebellious god they didn't like and his rebelliousness rubbed off on humans.

To settle this, theres only two reasonable options:

1) Following the revelations of Rick and Morty, our universe exist only to power the battery of god car. Gullible life is required to get them to work for you. The universe exist so somebody can take advantage of the idiots that live in it. The universe is not made perfect, to take advantage of the creatures in it.

2) Our universe can be completely simulated in a cheap PC in a universe with 9 dimensions. So maybe our universe is somebody screensaver. Scientist are still tryiing to detect if our universe is a hologram or not. Our whole universe will stop existing if somebody move the mouse or press enter. Our universe exist to protect the 9 dimensional phosphors from burning from too much impression of the same 9 dimensional pixels. The universe is not perfect, is a unintended result of the crappy quality of the simulation.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 30, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tei posted:

2) Our universe can be completely simulated in a cheap PC in a universe with 9 dimensions. So maybe our universe is somebody screensaver. Scientist are still tryiing to detect if our universe is a hologram or not. Our whole universe will stop existing if somebody move the mouse or press enter. Our universe exist to protect the 9 dimensional phosphors from burning from too much impression of the same 9 dimensional pixels.

Oh drat, that would explain why I'm a flying toaster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Selachian posted:

It's pretty readable, though?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

It's completely impossible to claim you were a womanising drinking badass who gave it all up to save us all without looking like a moralising asswipe.

I thought that was the point, how can I be smug if I don't lord it over everyone?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
God I hate Brewed on Grant.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Odd to chose a guy who literally cannot stand on his own for a mouthpiece here.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Green Hornet was worth it for the end where they tell Cameron Diaz she's unwittingly been the criminal mastermind and planning their crime wave the entire time.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

eviltastic posted:

Odd to chose a guy who literally cannot stand on his own for a mouthpiece here.

Those aren't stumps, he's got his legs tucked up around him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

I Before E posted:

Those aren't stumps, he's got his legs tucked up around him.

Ah, I saw the left leg as being part of the wall behind him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The terrible photoshops of Bad Reporter is this thread's only saving grace.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

If there's one thing Trump isn't known for, it's spending money!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bad reporter is aggressively mediocre and some time in 2016 this thread will turn on it like it did with bennett. Bagley shines eternal

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Xanderkish posted:

That's Deism, which is a form of the sin of atheism.

Atheism is a sin because you're denying God's centrality to life, shared belief in which is the basis for a powerful religious community. Saying God isn't central because they don't exist is just a popular sub-form, though probably less popular nowadays than agnosticism. Either way, not the kind of thing which can get you converts and proselytizers like adam4d.

Although I bet he would have made an utterly excruciating atheist as well.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

oddium posted:

bad reporter is aggressively mediocre and some time in 2016 this thread will turn on it like it did with bennett. Bagley shines eternal

Well I would disagree with that but nonetheless respect your opinion and sincerely hope your prediction will not come true.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Selachian posted:

I don't understand the issue here. It's very readable.

:drat:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oddium posted:

I've always liked Bad Reporter, but it's definitely improved with time. Bennett, on the other hand, has had his ratio of "knock it out of the park" to "inoffensively drawn but lazy" go a long way to the latter this year.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's Deism, which is a form of the sin of atheism.

Not necessarily. You can view God as less than all-powerful without saying He therefore does nothing. It could be that He's working non-stop, but even He has limits.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

leave the kid from Sleeper Ave out of this, Breen, you shithead

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jurgan posted:

Not necessarily. You can view God as less than all-powerful without saying He therefore does nothing. It could be that He's working non-stop, but even He has limits.

Sure, I guess that would be a kind of monolatrism. "We only worship our god, though we can tell there are other gods, such as Gravity and Quantum Electrodynamics." I am not a priest, but as long as you avoid the g-word and say all the other forces come from "angels" (optionally fallen), you might be able to get away with it.

I understood Xanderkish to be describing a scenario where God is only the foundation of everything, and can't make anyone do anything.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Deism isn't saying that God isn't all powerful just that. He/she/it doesn't do much

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sure, I guess that would be a kind of monolatrism. "We only worship our god, though we can tell there are other gods, such as Gravity and Quantum Electrodynamics." I am not a priest, but as long as you avoid the g-word and say all the other forces come from "angels" (optionally fallen), you might be able to get away with it.

I understood Xanderkish to be describing a scenario where God is only the foundation of everything, and can't make anyone do anything.

Perhaps God as Frankenstein? He created this thing, but now it's out of His control?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oddium posted:

Bagley is forever Local Hero (Of Our Hearts) but that is no reason to deride bad reporter. love lookin at that weird little guy in the first panel

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jedit posted:

I've always liked Bad Reporter, but it's definitely improved with time. Bennett, on the other hand, has had his ratio of "knock it out of the park" to "inoffensively drawn but lazy" go a long way to the latter this year.

I just have the impression that Bennet is getting old and this year has been sad and exhausting. Wasn't there two major shootings in his state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ambitious Spider posted:

Deism isn't saying that God isn't all powerful just that. He/she/it doesn't do much

It's part of free will. He started all this poo poo and now he's just kicking back and watching with a detached eye to see what you do.

• Locked thread