Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Strobe posted:

R2 Astromech doesn't affect upgrade card (or damage card, or ion token) text. Daredevil instructs you to perform a white 1-hard maneuver and then receive a stress token. Because Daredevil is instructing you to perform a white maneuver, you perform a white maneuver. You receive the stress token after the maneuver anyway, though, so it wouldn't change anything if it was green, because the only person who could do it while stressed and potentially clear a stress is Tycho, who doesn't have an Astromech slot.

I thought that according to the FAQ, R2 does effect Ion manoeuvres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That makes no sense whatsoever. Got a quote?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Strobe posted:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Got a quote?

FAQ page 13:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9d/df/9ddf0774-9bbc-4eab-89bf-01a9c4ef7eca/x-wing-faq.pdf

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Endman posted:

I thought that according to the FAQ, R2 does effect Ion manoeuvres.

Nien Nunb certainly does, so it would make sense that R2 Astromech would as well, and would do the same here. This is, IIRC, the reason why they made almost all the 'as an action, move using the X template as a red manoeuvre' into 'as a white manoeuvre then take a stress' so that things turning it green would still get a stress.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does the Most Wanted expansion have good upgrades for non-Scum players? I was thinking about getting it, because I like the ships (and I could use them with my Rebels stuff), but besides the ships I wanted to see if the upgrades are worth it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

radlum posted:

Does the Most Wanted expansion have good upgrades for non-Scum players? I was thinking about getting it, because I like the ships (and I could use them with my Rebels stuff), but besides the ships I wanted to see if the upgrades are worth it.

Of all the not-scum-only upgrades, BTL-A4 Y-wing is probably the most important. Autoblaster turret is there, too, but it's not that important.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

While visiting my FLGS adn getting a massive haul of boardgames the store owner (who's also a friend of mine) mentioned that he's going to try and get some competitive X-Wing going here and I of course told him I'm gonna join if he ever gets this thing off the ground. I really wanna try the double robot Scum list, what kind of versions have people been running?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm just getting started with wangs and I was thinking of the following for a Rebel List:

Eaden Vrill (32)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Outrider (5)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Total: 69

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The idea being that the Y-wing will throw out stress at dangerous targets and Vrill will exploit that by throwing 4 dice attacks at them. I need something to round out the list though, I wanted to try and fit Poe with R5-P9 but even cutting the gray squadron to a gold squadron pilot it ended up at 1 point too expensive. What do you think should be added, some Z-95s? A tricked out a-wing?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

HerraS posted:

While visiting my FLGS adn getting a massive haul of boardgames the store owner (who's also a friend of mine) mentioned that he's going to try and get some competitive X-Wing going here and I of course told him I'm gonna join if he ever gets this thing off the ground. I really wanna try the double robot Scum list, what kind of versions have people been running?

IG-88B (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88C (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

Total: 98

This is a bog standard competitive build- it'll take putting some other sets together or eBaying upgrade cards for it to work, though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

hooman posted:

I'm just getting started with wangs and I was thinking of the following for a Rebel List:

Eaden Vrill (32)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Outrider (5)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

The idea being that the Y-wing will throw out stress at dangerous targets and Vrill will exploit that by throwing 4 dice attacks at them. I need something to round out the list though, I wanted to try and fit Poe with R5-P9 but even cutting the gray squadron to a gold squadron pilot it ended up at 1 point too expensive. What do you think should be added, some Z-95s? A tricked out a-wing?

Eaden Vrill's ability only works on primary attacks, not the mangler cannon.

Also, you're short 31 points.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hooman posted:

Vrill's ability only works on his primary weapon, unfortunately.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Ah right, I misunderstood that one. Cheers, back to the drawing board.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ugh I still haven't been able to put down my painting stuff to paint at home cuz it's been busy. I will have to add a graffiti of our loyal TR8R trooper to the space garbage truck unggg

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Xposting from the oath thread. This is more in the vein of being a proof of concept for doing the same thing on the Decimator. I his a couple of major issues: one was actually getting the making accurate enough. This worked fine on the flat areas but I got a lot of slightly gappy bits around greeblies and panel lines and so forth, and tidying them up by hand was less than successful. And the Decimator has a lot of greeblies. The other was that I should have used a grey basecoat rather than a white one for the white areas. I had nothing to highlight, and lowlighting around panels and such just doesn't work.

But really, I think I need an airbrush for this. it would have gone a lot better to basically paint the entire ship black including all the washes and highlights, THEN mask it, then paint the white with highlights over the mask, then remove it and do the detailing, and that means spraying the majority of the paint, and I only have rattlecans to spray with.

Plus, I had major paint-thickness issues; do not zoom in.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

hooman posted:

Eaden Vrill (32)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Outrider (5)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R3-A2 (2)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Vrill works really well with a bare Heavy Laser Cannon as his only upgrade. He is manuverable enough to keep most targets in his firing arc, but for anyone who is in range 1, or outside that arc, you can still use his primary attack.

That would free up 2 points to use Poe if you wanted.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I saw some printed cardstock boxes online in some images of X-wing collections people have. I've been using a tackle box my mom gave me for at the beginning to move my stuff, but I don't like leaving my ships to bang around in the channels, and that looks like a cool option to prevent it. Are there any preferred printed boxes patterns that people use for storage of their ships?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Microhangars https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113222/microhangars-gearboxes

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Everything I can find says that R2 Astromech DOES make the daredevil manuver green. However, it obviously doesn't stop the assignment of stress, so I guess it's something of a non-starter. And now I forget why I asked in the first place.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
The more I think about it, the more I wonder - how would they even do a The Force Awakens expansion set? As much as I liked the movie, the starfighter scenes, and the effects, TFA only actually features X-Wings for the Resistance side (well, that and the Falcon); unless FFG plans on releasing the Millennium Falcon with a new radar dish and a "Black Leader" T-70 paint scheme, there's really nothing to make until Rogue One or Episode VIII comes out, right? And making a "new" Falcon/YT-1300 just to swap the dish - like, even if you threw in a cool new T-70, the T-70 expansion already exists? I guess what I'm saying is that there's really not enough to work with just from Episode VII to do much else with the miniatures game.

To that end I'm still having the better half paint one of my T-70's black and orange.

Does FFG ever do supplements that are just cards/templates for existing ships? I'd be okay spending a few bucks at the game shop just to get a Rey card for the YT-1300 with Finn crew upgrades, or getting a Poe/Finn version of the Special Forces TIE, or something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nope they never do card only expansions for xwing. The only thing similar was most wanted which didn't have models for the HWK or Firespray but had cards/dials/templates for them

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No, they have not yet ever done a card-only update, and it's highly unlikely that they ever would because their license is for miniatures games, and they've apparently nearly got in legal hot water for Imperial Assault already being more of a board game. So card-only stuff is vanishingly unlikely. And it strikes me as unlikely that they would release a new Falcon, having two sets with basically the same name would get confusing for stocking systems etc. The only thing I can think they might do is a Most Wanted style expansion with a bunch of cards and ship templates plus a black T70 and maybe the TIE/sf.

Which is irritating, because it means we probably won't get the proper names for the pilots in the Resistance now, so Poe and Ello will remain the only name resistance pilots probably forever, as it seems likely that they won't be able to get any names from future releases either D:

I'm hoping for some good stuff from Rogue One but the plot synopsis makes it sound more likely to be a heist movie than to have lots of space combat D:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Word is that Dinsney will throw a shitfit if they sell a product that doesn't include a model because their licensing agreement says they're only allowed to sell models.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So is the Star Wars LCG now dead? I thought they were having expansions for it still. And as well as that, they hadn't had releases with cards only even before Disney. Trying to deflect the blame to Disney doesn't seem logical. The reason why they haven't released card only is because they make more money from whales by forcing them to buy a model for cards.

Edit: afaik they got in trouble with IA because it was too much a board game and they are not allowed to do that. They are allowed to do card games in their agreement, just not board games

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah they have the card game license (the lcg is still going), so that has nothing to do with them not releasing card only packs. Money does. Including them in model packs is too profitable to ignore (hence the Imperial Raider having critical Tie Advanced cards).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tekopo posted:

they make more money from whales by forcing them to buy a model for cards.

You leave my raider, Tantive IV, transport, and gozanti out of this!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So tomorrow I'm going over to a buddy's house for a New Years Eve gaming night with him + his wife + my partner. We've done two super-basic games using only the TFA box before, and I was hooked enough by the experience that I went and bought more stuff, and had a slightly more complex demo game with a local X-wanging goon.

For tomorrow, I'd like to put together a couple more complex but still beginner-friendly 100 point demo lists using my very limited X-Wing collection. For the Rebels I'd like something showing off Tycho Celchu and a Y-Wing with an ion turret, and for the Empire I'm thinking some formation flying with Howlrunner? I'm totally new to list-building so I have no idea here really. I guess the Rebels would be a smaller, elite force with more upgrades, whereas the TIEs would be mostly as-is save for maybe an upgrade on one or two?

I own: both starter sets, and the expansions for A-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, and TIE Interceptor.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Which is irritating, because it means we probably won't get the proper names for the pilots in the Resistance now, so Poe and Ello will remain the only name resistance pilots probably forever, as it seems likely that they won't be able to get any names from future releases either D:

People say that it's "very likely" that FFG will make a black T-70, but I don't know how or when they really could, unless they did a Black Leader T-70 bundled with a Special Forces TIE, but I don't think FFG has done "cross-faction" expansions - just core sets, right? So, at least to me, it seems more like "pretty unlikely" that we'll get a Black Leader anytime soon, if at all. If they were going to do it, you'd figure they'd have done it in the Core Set, since it has Poe in it anyway and the black X-Wing gets arguably more TFA screen time than the generic white-and-blue scheme, anyway.

I am still kinda hoping they do it, just so that we'll maybe get Snap Wexley and Jess Pava cards to add to the T-70 list of pilots; I've come around on Ello Asty a little since I've been playing a lot of games over the last couple days, but I legitimately do not like any of the other T-70 options. "Red Ace" and "Blue Ace" are... okay, but they lack Elite upgrade slots and are still expensive for what they are (I like "Red Ace" a little more, but he's only two points cheaper than Poe effin' Dameron and is 2 PS lower with a worse ability and no Elite upgrade. What?). It's such a dumb thing to care about, but I wanted to have at least the option to field a T-70 squad that didn't feature a "throwaway" member, but c'est la vie.

I'm buying some original-flavor stuff tomorrow, so maybe I can put together a cool "Death Star Trench Run All-Stars" team of Luke/Wedge/Biggs. :getin:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

guts and bolts posted:

People say that it's "very likely" that FFG will make a black T-70, but I don't know how or when they really could, unless they did a Black Leader T-70 bundled with a Special Forces TIE, but I don't think FFG has done "cross-faction" expansions - just core sets, right? So, at least to me, it seems more like "pretty unlikely" that we'll get a Black Leader anytime soon, if at all. If they were going to do it, you'd figure they'd have done it in the Core Set, since it has Poe in it anyway and the black X-Wing gets arguably more TFA screen time than the generic white-and-blue scheme, anyway.

I am still kinda hoping they do it, just so that we'll maybe get Snap Wexley and Jess Pava cards to add to the T-70 list of pilots; I've come around on Ello Asty a little since I've been playing a lot of games over the last couple days, but I legitimately do not like any of the other T-70 options. "Red Ace" and "Blue Ace" are... okay, but they lack Elite upgrade slots and are still expensive for what they are (I like "Red Ace" a little more, but he's only two points cheaper than Poe effin' Dameron and is 2 PS lower with a worse ability and no Elite upgrade. What?). It's such a dumb thing to care about, but I wanted to have at least the option to field a T-70 squad that didn't feature a "throwaway" member, but c'est la vie.

I'm buying some original-flavor stuff tomorrow, so maybe I can put together a cool "Death Star Trench Run All-Stars" team of Luke/Wedge/Biggs. :getin:

They haven't done a cross faction expansion but this is the right time to do one. TFA Aces Poe's black x-wing, special forces TIE and a bunch of falcon upgrades. Most wanted shows they can put cards in for ships that aren't in the box, that president is set.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah they have the card game license (the lcg is still going), so that has nothing to do with them not releasing card only packs. Money does. Including them in model packs is too profitable to ignore (hence the Imperial Raider having critical Tie Advanced cards).

And, you know, Palpatine.

guts and bolts posted:

As noted upthread, I don't think you're giving Red Ace the credit it deserves. With a regen Astromech and Comm Relay it's a royal pain in the arse to chop down; the first time it gets shot it gets an evade which essentially never goes away, because whenever it takes damage it loses a shield and gets it back, then it regens the shield on its next turn. It takes a lot of focussing to chop through that (especially when it's not until the third shot each turn where that evade will actually not be there, so it basically has 1 damage reduction forever unless you're TLTing it or have it in 3 or more arcs), giving it an EPT would probably have been a little much. I share your objections on flavour grounds, though. Having an ace without an EPT is annoying.

Also no-one is more throwaway than Ello Asty he is the Biggs of this movie. Not to mention that Red Ace and Blue Ace are, I think, Jess Pava and Snap Wexley respectively. I'd like to see them have names and maybe they will sometime they will.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Based on the movie I can see them doing a big box for Scum featuring Han's freighter. They can include new Falcon cards for Resistance and give Scum Falcon pilot cards based on all the people that had it after it was stolen from Han.

Though now, more than anything, I'd like to see an Xwing scale ground combat game.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 30, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Though now, more than anything, I'd like to see an Xwing scale ground combat game.

That's exactly what Imperial Assault is. It's good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
IA is 28mm and small skirmish based. I'm talking like Battle of Hoth size so I can field AT-AT's.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

You're using an outdated version of the FAQ (March 27 versus September 4). That said, the R2 Astromech ruling is in both, and is still dumb in both.

Something I did not notice until just now: if you clip multiple asteroids or debris fields, you suffer the effects of multiple asteroids or debris fields. Very bottom of page 15.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

As noted upthread, I don't think you're giving Red Ace the credit it deserves. With a regen Astromech and Comm Relay it's a royal pain in the arse to chop down; the first time it gets shot it gets an evade which essentially never goes away, because whenever it takes damage it loses a shield and gets it back, then it regens the shield on its next turn. It takes a lot of focussing to chop through that (especially when it's not until the third shot each turn where that evade will actually not be there, so it basically has 1 damage reduction forever unless you're TLTing it or have it in 3 or more arcs), giving it an EPT would probably have been a little much. I share your objections on flavour grounds, though. Having an ace without an EPT is annoying.

Also no-one is more throwaway than Ello Asty he is the Biggs of this movie. Not to mention that Red Ace and Blue Ace are, I think, Jess Pava and Snap Wexley respectively. I'd like to see them have names and maybe they will sometime they will.

I agree with you on the spoilertext in principle, which makes some of the decisions made w/r/t the TFA Core Set and T-70 expansions weird. Why Ello Asty instead of a genuine named Snap Wexley or Jess Pava? I think Jessika Pava actually gets more screentime than Ello does, anyway - Ello exists to be a metareference and then die. And I'm not saying I dislike "Red Ace" - between the cherry and blue raspberry flavors of T-70 aces, I prefer cherry - I'm saying that they're pretty expensive for what you get, and with no Elite slot and a PS of 6, they basically need to have the Comm Relay/R2-D2/Autothrusters setup, which is 38 (!!) points of your loadout. That's two points more than BB-8/PTL/Integrated Astromech Poe and one more point than VI/R5-P9/Autothrusters Poe, and in a vacuum isn't as "good." At least in my newbie estimation. So if you're trying to min-max your army, or if efficiency-per-point is important to you, isn't "Red Ace" sort of overpriced for the value you get?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Drone posted:

So tomorrow I'm going over to a buddy's house for a New Years Eve gaming night with him + his wife + my partner. We've done two super-basic games using only the TFA box before, and I was hooked enough by the experience that I went and bought more stuff, and had a slightly more complex demo game with a local X-wanging goon.

For tomorrow, I'd like to put together a couple more complex but still beginner-friendly 100 point demo lists using my very limited X-Wing collection. For the Rebels I'd like something showing off Tycho Celchu and a Y-Wing with an ion turret, and for the Empire I'm thinking some formation flying with Howlrunner? I'm totally new to list-building so I have no idea here really. I guess the Rebels would be a smaller, elite force with more upgrades, whereas the TIEs would be mostly as-is save for maybe an upgrade on one or two?

I own: both starter sets, and the expansions for A-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, and TIE Interceptor.

Maybe something like this?

Rebels
Tycho Celchu with Push the Limit (29)
Gold Squadron Pilot with an Ion Cannon Turret (23)
Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Rookie Pilot (21)

99 Points

Imperial
Howlrunner with swarm tactics (20)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
Soontir Fel with Push the Limit (30)
Omega Ace with Push the Limit (23)

97 Points

The rebels are fairly simple, Tycho gets as much stress as possible, the Imperials have the Academy pilots stick with Howlrunner whilst Soontir and Omega do their thing.

You'd have to proxy multiple copies of PTL, and if you want to proxy stuff you don't have then I'd add autothrusters to Soontir.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

I agree with you on the spoilertext in principle, which makes some of the decisions made w/r/t the TFA Core Set and T-70 expansions weird. Why Ello Asty instead of a genuine named Snap Wexley or Jess Pava? I think Jessika Pava actually gets more screentime than Ello does, anyway - Ello exists to be a metareference and then die. And I'm not saying I dislike "Red Ace" - between the cherry and blue raspberry flavors of T-70 aces, I prefer cherry - I'm saying that they're pretty expensive for what you get, and with no Elite slot and a PS of 6, they basically need to have the Comm Relay/R2-D2/Autothrusters setup, which is 38 (!!) points of your loadout. That's two points more than BB-8/PTL/Integrated Astromech Poe and one more point than VI/R5-P9/Autothrusters Poe, and in a vacuum isn't as "good." At least in my newbie estimation. So if you're trying to min-max your army, or if efficiency-per-point is important to you, isn't "Red Ace" sort of overpriced for the value you get?
I'm 99% sure they used Ello because Ello was spoiled well before the movie came out due to the Beastie Boys reference. As I understand it they asked for some information from the movie to use for the sets, but weren't allowed it to avoid spoilers. The were REALLY careful about their marketing pre-release for Force Awakens, and it worked for them so it's difficult to blame them.

Red Ace probably is a touch overpriced. It's not uncommon for that to happen with new releases, they tend to err on the side of overpriced rather than overpowered, which I don't really see as a problem.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 30, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How is this for a first swarm?

"Omega Leader" (21)

"Epsilon Ace" (17)

"Winged Gundark" (15)

"Mauler Mithel" (17)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 100

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

So is the Star Wars LCG now dead? I thought they were having expansions for it still. And as well as that, they hadn't had releases with cards only even before Disney. Trying to deflect the blame to Disney doesn't seem logical. The reason why they haven't released card only is because they make more money from whales by forcing them to buy a model for cards.

Edit: afaik they got in trouble with IA because it was too much a board game and they are not allowed to do that. They are allowed to do card games in their agreement, just not board games

So, how in the hell are they not getting nuked for Star Wars Rebellion? "It has models, therefore it's not a board game" except that's exactly what it is. There's no mistaking it.

e: Even FFG calls it a board game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Panzeh posted:

IG-88B (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

IG-88C (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Autothrusters (2)
IG-2000 (0)

Total: 98

This is a bog standard competitive build- it'll take putting some other sets together or eBaying upgrade cards for it to work, though.

Is HLC the ideal choice? If you're at range one then B's ability is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Hi guys, I'm an idiot with a silly gimmick list:

"Wampa" (14)
Stealth Device (3)

Captain Oicunn (42)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Darth Vader (3)
Tactical Jammer (1)

Shadow Squadron Pilot (27)
Saboteur (2)

Total: 100

Palpy uses up two passenger slots (I think?), so you cant have him and Vader on a shuttle.

• Locked thread